Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,326 members, 7,829,828 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:17 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (128) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5984620 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) ... (2844) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by asorockweb: 12:49am On Mar 21, 2015
Bridge laying.
NighttWalker:
Finally.... Any idea of the 'truck' in the 1st pic is used for?

3rd pic, is that a 'frogfot' or just the same old lame alpha jet?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by bidexiii: 6:28am On Mar 21, 2015
Newly delivered chinese MRAP.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 9:53am On Mar 21, 2015
gottfried21:
1.Namibian Special forces
2.Namibian Marine corps
3.Armed patrol boat
4.Recovery Vehicle

3 300s. What the hell. That's around 60 to 70 knts. Though range must be short.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 9:57am On Mar 21, 2015
ChukwuCantDie:
Nice pics Gottfreid21 but who is that fat Indian girl on the boat in the scuba diving gear? cheesy

Who says she fat and who says she indain. She looks built and she looks like either coulerd or one of the khoi San people. Black people arrived in southern Africa around the same time white people did. The true locals where then caught between to far more war like groups and suffered the most.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 10:00am On Mar 21, 2015
ChukwuCantDie:
lol operational lol ok sorry but i can no longer take Namibian forces seriously if she is one of your spec ops peeps. Keep posting photos tho they are good.

ODT is not spec ops. It is the hardest course in the south African navy and I suspect Namibia modelled there ODT on outs. So she is fit enough.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 10:05am On Mar 21, 2015
Henry120:
Photo Credit : brent

SAAF medium lift Helicopter

In the past week two upgrades have been seen on SANDF hardware. A new fire control radar/imanger on the valour frigate and the Oryx sporting two new antennas on her nose.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 10:21am On Mar 21, 2015
andrewza:

In the past week two upgrades have been seen on SANDF hardware. A new fire control radar/imanger on the valour frigate and the Oryx sporting two new antennas on her nose.
The ORT(Optical radar tracker) and EOT(Electro-optical tracker) ?

RRS was awarded a contract to R & D a replacement of those systems on the frigates.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 10:26am On Mar 21, 2015
MikeCZAR:
The ORT(Optical radar tracker) and EOT(Electro-optical tracker) ?

RRS was awarded a contract to R & D a replacement of those systems on the frigates.

Spionkope replaced her EOT with a new ORT

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 10:58am On Mar 21, 2015
NighttWalker:
Random

That last pic

That outrageous purple cammo scheme shocked
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by bidexiii: 11:19am On Mar 21, 2015
More brand new chinese MRAPs, north bond spotted in lagos. (Picture curled. Frm beeg's)

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:40am On Mar 21, 2015
Nigerian Navy

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:51am On Mar 21, 2015
andrewza:

I was wondering about the antennas on the nose of the Oryx Helicopter. Any idea what they are there for?

The Super-puma remains my ideal Naval utility Helicopter. Perfect for a variety of roles(ASW, SAR,utility,VBSS, fire control) carries 20 fully equipped troops.

I've never hidden my disgust for the A109, it's a useless Helicopter and serious militaries don't fly that crap, except for VIP role.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 11:57am On Mar 21, 2015
Henry120:

I was wondering about the antennas on the nose of the Oryx Helicopter. Any idea what they are there for?

The Super-puma remains my ideal Naval utility Helicopter. Perfect for a variety of roles(ASW, SAR,utility,VBSS, fire control) carries 20 fully equipped troops.

I've never hidden my disgust for the A109, it's a useless Helicopter and serious militaries don't fly that crap, except for VIP role.

No idea. They could be for any thing from a radio to high end EW gear.

To big for general purpose use. The average frigate strugels to fit 1. The lynx is best. In my eys. But yes they are great birds.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 12:15pm On Mar 21, 2015
Henry120:

As i was saying (before i got banned for no reason), i dont think those antennas are new, used to lve less than 2km from 17sqds base, thus i saw Oryx and A109 helicopters on a daily bases, and all of them sported those antennas, not really sure what they are for(might just be for radio or GPS),but they could be new as Project Drummer 2 is drawing to an end, as for the A109 i quite like the A109 as a Light utility helicopter, no doubt its had its problems as i dont think the original A109 was well suited for the african environment and led to the grounding of SAAF A109s fleet, but after a few modifications i think SAAFs A109 proved its self this year when it did an exceptional job providing humanitarian aid when floods hit Mozambique.

oh....And very nice pics btw!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 12:15pm On Mar 21, 2015
Henry120:

So I guess Italy and Sweden arent serious militaries

Whats wrong with it?

Its an exellent platform and its only problem is that it is somewhat of a hangar queen (which can be said for practically all modern western aircraft)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 12:23pm On Mar 21, 2015
Patchesagain:

Whats wrong with it?

Its an exellent platform and its only problem is that it is somewhat of a hangar queen (which can be said for practically all modern western aircraft)

Suffers in hot and dry air. Good for europe does not mean good for Africa. The gazelle is the chopper I would want. Simple and France knows how to build Africa tough.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 12:25pm On Mar 21, 2015
andrewza:

Suffers in hot and dry air. Good for europe does not mean good for Africa. The gazelle is the chopper I would want. Simple and France knows how to build Africa tough.

Gazelle is not as versatile and has less internal space.

Its a great tactical helo, but the LUH is a better all-rounder.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 12:26pm On Mar 21, 2015
jl115:

As i was saying (before i got banned for no reason), i dont think those antennas are new, used to lve less than 2km from 17sqds base, thus i saw Oryx and A109 helicopters on a daily bases, and all of them sported those antennas, not really sure what they are for(might just be for radio or GPS),but they could be new as Project Drummer 2 is drawing to an end, as for the A109 i quite like the A109 as a Light utility helicopter, no doubt its had its problems as i dont think the original A109 was well suited for the african environment and led to the grounding of SAAF A109s fleet, but after a few modifications i think SAAFs A109 proved its self this year when it did an exceptional job providing humanitarian aid when floods hit Mozambique.

Could be drummer 2. I suspect they radios. If saaf is like san the go redundant on all every thing.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 12:28pm On Mar 21, 2015
Patchesagain:

Gazelle is not as versatile and has less internal space.

Its a great tactical helo, but the LUH is a better all-rounder.

But do we need a LUH. We need a tactical chopper not a mini transport chopper.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 12:29pm On Mar 21, 2015
andrewza:

IMO we should have bought both

Same number of helo's - just half LUH and half BK's or Gazelle

Time will tell though.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 12:32pm On Mar 21, 2015
Patchesagain:

IMO we should have bought both

Same number of helo's - just half LUH and half BK's or Gazelle

Time will tell though.
To many difrent choppers. Gazelle is all so cheaper to maintain.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:29pm On Mar 21, 2015
jl115:

1 in 5 Helicopter crashes around the world involves an A109. I don't think I can recall any military that flies an A109 which hasn't had an A109 crash. It doesn't matter the environment or weather conditions of the country in use.

For a Helicopter that carries only 6 passengers, that's just hopeless for an African military.

The minimum carrying capacity for an African light utility Helicopter should be 10 troops, anything below is just a waste of money.

Across the Navy and Airforce, Nigeria has 18 A109's, Navy 6 (one lost to crash). Yet the Nigerian Airforce and Navy are in the market for transport Helicopters.

Question is, if the A109 is of any use, why look for additional Helicopters?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:35pm On Mar 21, 2015
Patchesagain:

Whats wrong with it?

Italy = manufacturer

Sweden, just like Nigeria and South-Africa, they made a poor choice.

Look at this Helicopter, tell me it isn't having an identity crisis? An LUH that carries 6 passengers should stick to what it does best....... ferrying CEO's from their plush residences to their offices.

This Helicopter has no use in military aviation.

African militaries require a tactical chopper like the Gazelle to bridge the gap between an attack Helicopter and a transport Helicopter.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 1:43pm On Mar 21, 2015
Henry120:

1 in 5 Helicopter crashes around the world involves an A109. I don't think I can recall any military that flies an A109 which hasn't had an A109 crash. It doesn't matter the environment or weather conditions of the country in use.

For a Helicopter that carries only 6 passengers, that's just hopeless for an African military.

The minimum carrying capacity for an African light utility Helicopter should be 10 troops, anything below is just a waste of money.
I disagree with on the capacity of helicopters.

In fact if other African air forces were to support their armies in a lengthy limited war, you'd see more light utility helicopters being acquired for variety of reasons.

From closing gaps to cutting costs.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:51pm On Mar 21, 2015
MikeCZAR:
I disagree with on the capacity of helicopters.

In fact if other African air forces were to support their armies in a lengthy limited war, you'd see more light utility helicopters being acquired for variety of reasons.

From closing gaps to cutting costs.

I disagree. LUH's would be discarded in favour of proper transport helicopters.

Why would I need 20 LUH's to do the job of 8 proper transport Helicopters? I fail to see how that's cost saving or bridging any gap.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 2:17pm On Mar 21, 2015
Henry120:

I disagree. LUH's would be discarded in favour of proper transport helicopters.

Why would I need 20 LUH's to do the job of 8 proper transport Helicopters? I fail to see how that's cost saving or bridging any gap.

Because bigger helicopters cost more to operate and aren't always gonna be available.

You can't use a medium utility helicopter to:

1. Train new helicopter crews.

2. Pick up one injured or KIA soldier.(In SAR, CSAR and casavac roles)

3. To conduct reconnaissance and battlefield surveillance.

4. Carry light cargo.

5. Small teams extraction and infiltration.

And more!

If you do with medium sized choopers, costs will be high and they'll not be available at all times.

They'll mission when it isn't necessary to deploy and they'll be a lot of these.

Besides less than 4 African countries have massive knowledge and experience in operating helos, most are still struggling with stuff like night and bad weather flying.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by M14A1: 2:21pm On Mar 21, 2015
andrewza:

Very sane comment
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gottfried21(m): 5:38pm On Mar 21, 2015
When all the cameras and civilians are gone,time to"demilitarize"at Leopards valley

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 6:13pm On Mar 21, 2015
Henry120:

Across the Navy and Airforce, Nigeria has 18 A109's, Navy 6 (one lost to crash). Yet the Nigerian Airforce and Navy are in the market for transport Helicopters.

Question is, if the A109 is of any use, why look for additional Helicopters?

"1 in 5 Helicopter crashes around the world involves an A109"
Sorry i fail to believe that stat unless you provide a source, im not saying A109s dont crash but you have to put in perspective that its one of the most popular helicopters in the world, thus the more there are the greater the chance of one of them crashing.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:14pm On Mar 21, 2015
Camerounian elite BIR

COIN

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:18pm On Mar 21, 2015
BIR

(1) (2) (3) ... (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) ... (2844) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: kabe1 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.