Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,288 members, 7,815,494 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

Why Wouldn't I Leave Nigeria?; A Reponse To Kola Olaosebikan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Wouldn't I Leave Nigeria?; A Reponse To Kola Olaosebikan (700 Views)

No Ex-govt Official Should Leave Nigeria After May 29 – Yayale / Bode George Has Promised To Leave Nigeria Soonest Over Buhari's Win / Why Wouldn't I Vote For "Gej" After All This Archivement? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Wouldn't I Leave Nigeria?; A Reponse To Kola Olaosebikan by Bawsse(m): 8:59am On Aug 10, 2013
Im takin a good 5 minutes to relax calm down and write this post without getin 2 pumped up. Breathe! Breathe! Breathe! Ok…. So I watched this video after it was shared by Kemi Adetiba on her instagram page, and justlike her I was very moved to say something about it

Let me start off by saying that a good amount of what Kola Olaoesibikan (surprised she keeps her Nigerian name) said in her video is true. It might be exaggerated, but none the less, as a Nigerian, as painful as it is to hear, it’s the truth. Exagerrated, but true. A lot of times we sit and listen to western mediathrow out a lot of negative and biased statistics about Nigeria & Africa, and it hurts, very deeply a times but I must say it hurts even more when it comes from one of our own who, based on the video, you get the feeling actually lived in Nigeria for a decent amount of time.
Now I have no problem with maybe the intent of the video, or calling to light issues that we all know happen in Nigeria, but the execution and method of doing this comes off as nothing but very insulting to Nigerians, and I’m tempted to say, sadly ignorant.
When she say says, a country that allowschild marriage, did she bother to think of the reaction millions on Nigerians had when they heard of that loop hole in the law? Did she even bother to think why this even came to light? Does she even know that numerous senators andhouse of reps have tried on one more than one occasion to close this loop hole that allows such? That there were thousands of citizens that took to the streets to protest this law? Are those senators that proposed the motion to close this loop hole not doing the right thing? Are those citizens that took to the streets not fighting for a better country for their kids and future generations? Are the numerous journalists and bloggers that expose and spread such news not doing their part in trying to spread information to enlighten Nigerians on what’s going on? Statements like that are a slap in theface to every Nigerian that is, out of love,doing their part to make Nigeria better even they don’t see the light at the end of the tunnel.
On the subject of NYSC, it’s easy to say the best “years” because it sounds nice to exaggerate something negative, but as much as I don’t like the NYSC program, I have to call out that first off it’s one year and not ‘years’, so it’s not wasting ‘the best years’. Does Kola even know why the NYSC came about in the first place? As flawed and needless as it may be now, the NYSC idea was a noble idea immediately after the civil war to integrate Nigerians and enable the young graduates to learn about other parts of our extremely diverse country, that they might not have been able or willing to do under normal circumstances. An attempt to curb the tribalism that fueled the civil war.
Does Kola (let’s assume that’s her name) know about the steady growth of the Nigerian economy, the dozens of international companies flocking to Nigeria to invest in various start ups andsmall time businesses, which subsequently can only lead to more jobsand opportunities for Nigerians? Does Kola know of the hundreds of positive Nigerians that do so much for Nigeria, even if they are not compensated properly, just because of the belief they have in the future? The music and movieindustry booming at an all time high, and creating so many opportunities for the youth to stay off the streets? The social activism via social media that has captured a lot of the youth of Nigeria?
Does Kola know about thousands of security agents who have lost their lives fighting terrorism across the country, and as ill equipped as they may be, they still put their life on the line daily to protect what they can in those area. Are they stupid for trying? Should they run to the US and sip fake Starbucks on youtube?
Does Kola know of the thousands of young Nigerians who were extremely active in the last election? Getting involved in voter registration, education, and other thingsjust so they can attempt to make the election as free and fair as possible. Organizing debates to discuss issues surrounding the country, raising awareness about the voting process, documenting, recording and reporting cases of voter fraud over the country. Are they stupid for loving their country enough to try? Or are they part of the brained damaged who just don’t know any better?
If I didn’t know better, I’d think everyone in Nigeria is dead, dying, forced to do NYSC for 5 years, married at12, and quarter to being a criminal.
To Kola Olasebikan, there’s nothing wrong if you never want to go to Nigeria again or you’re happy you left Nigeria. All na personal choice, but believe me 150 million minus 1 wont stop the struggle, and the fight for a better Nigeria. Enjoy your starbucks. Peace.
Aribaba, a Nigerian living in America that actually doesn’t like Starbucks
source: http://www.jaguda.com/2013/08/09/re-why-wouldnt-i-leave-nigeria-a-response-to-the-video-by-kola-olaosebikan/
share ur views plz

(1) (Reply)

Get Donation (money) From Companies & Wealthy Individuals For Free! No Refund!!! / US Ready To Strike Syria / Femi Fani-kayode Carpeted Over Tribal Derogatory Comments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.