Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,910 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:57 PM

Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts (10105 Views)

Power Generation Drops Further To 2,035.20MW / Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW / Electricity Generation Rises Again To 4,656 Megawatts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by Chegunn(m): 4:33am On Aug 11, 2013
The total amount of electricity generated in Nigeria as at 6am on Saturday was 2,628.6 megawatts.

This indicates a sharp drop from the little above 4,000MW, which the Federal Government had recently announced as the country’s generated power.

The drop in generated electricity, according to the Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, is as a result of severe leaks in the supply of gas to some strategic power plants across the country.

Nebo, according to a statement on Saturday, which was signed by his Special Assistant on Media and Communication, Ms. Kande Daniel, described the development as worrisome.

The minister, in the statement said, “Total grid generation as at 6am on Saturday is 2,628.6MW,” adding, “With this low level generation, management of the grid is currently a big task, necessitating a nationwide load shedding.”

While explaining the current grid generation situation, Nebo attributed the drop to the low gas supply to the generation plants especially in eastern Nigeria.

He said three power stations in the region: Afam IV, Afam VI, and Rivers Independent Power Plant, were shut down again on Friday night, as a result of gas constraints arising from condensate issue on the Trans National Pipeline.

This, he said, put total generation loss from the stations at 624MW.

He said Olorunsogo power station was also down due to low gas pressure, and as a result, 89MW of power was lost.

The minister went further to state that low head water elevation was also limiting generation at Kainji and Jebba hydro stations to one unit each.

Nebo, however, observed that the Federal Government had moved in to arrest the crisis in the gas sector as this was affecting power generation in parts of the country negatively.

He stated that the government was assembling a crack team of experts across the oil industry to investigate in particular the cause of the severe leaks in the gas supply channels in the eastern part of the country and determine measures to ameliorate the situation.

The minister said it was painful that this was happening when many Nigerians were already rejoicing and celebrating over the stabilisation of power nationally.

He noted that as soon as the cause of the leakage was established, measures would be taken to fix the problem.

Nebo solicited for understanding and urged Nigerians to be patient, stressing that the situation was being tackled.

source: http://www.punchng.com/news/power-generation-drops-to-2628-6mw/

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by EkoAtlantic: 4:58am On Aug 11, 2013
Fresh air continual grin

#teamfreshair2015#

12 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by seanet02: 5:17am On Aug 11, 2013
A big congratulations to all Fresh Air Team....
Congrats.

17 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by akinsdeji(m): 5:29am On Aug 11, 2013
Abegi can't we just have a stable electricity in this country for once.... I tyer for najia ooo
Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by ofala(m): 5:32am On Aug 11, 2013
Prof Nebo, i know is a man who will WORK when given an assignment but Prof remember all the support you have receieved so far and dont start behaving like Nigerian politicians. *I know you wont* There will be no excuse for failure. Its time these issues in the power sector are tackled PROPERLY
Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by TonySpike: 5:40am On Aug 11, 2013
I still don't understand why a country like Nigeria is generating less than 5 GW (or 5000 MW). This is theoretically equal to 83 million 60-watts bulbs, which is not enough to go round for 150 million Nigerians. This is rather unfortunate and pathetic. The two cities of Johannesburg and Durban in South Africa alone consume about 4200 MW. Nigeria is on a long thing!!!

#just saying

22 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by ojietu: 5:43am On Aug 11, 2013
Thats Nigerians for you always giving excuses for failures.

We are tired of your countless excuses we need results.

8 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by Maxymilliano(m): 5:51am On Aug 11, 2013
Familiar excuses;

In June, Power generation drops to 2,290MW following the vandalism of two major gas pipelines supplying gas to eight power generation stations,

In August, Power generation drops to 2,628.6MW as a result of severe leaks in the supply of gas to some strategic power plants across the country

Yet, Tariff increases amid darkness ...

11 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by TonySpike: 5:55am On Aug 11, 2013
^^^I think it's high time we started considering electricity generation by geothermal sources and also, storage system methods. These vandalisms are silly excuses by any standard...

Finally, power generation should be properly decentralised, albeit regulated.

2 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by lymelyte(m): 6:06am On Aug 11, 2013
Na only for nigeria,naim I don see power drop instead of increasing.Damn,this so pathetic..
Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by seanet02: 6:15am On Aug 11, 2013
Maxymilliano: Familiar excuses;

In June, Power generation drops to 2,290MW following the vandalism of two major gas pipelines supplying gas to eight power generation stations,

In August, Power generation drops to 2,628.6MW as a result of severe leaks in the supply of gas to some strategic power plants across the country

Team Fresh Air how far about the 2015?
after all your President did not give a damm shit about Electricity

7 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by Nobody: 6:47am On Aug 11, 2013
GEJ angry
Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by nuclearboy(m): 7:33am On Aug 11, 2013
Simple math

Since 16 is greater than 19 AND 5 is greater than 27, it is simply logical that 2,700MW is definitely greater than 4,000MW! Which means electricity supply has truly increased - its called Jonathanian Algebra and has been proven by Prof Jang and Prof Bipi!

46 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by Nobody: 7:50am On Aug 11, 2013
seanet02:
Team Fresh Air how far about the 2015?
after all your President did not give a damm shit about Electricity
Power generation level will always fluctuate until we build enough power generation capacity so much so that if there's any short fall in any power plant or gas distribution line, it wouldn't affect the national grid. If Nigeria was generating like 40,000 megawatts, the loss of 2,000 megawatts or so reported on this thread wouldn't have affected the national grid. In fact, nobody would have known as the relevant engineers would have silently sought for the problem and fixed it. The president and his team will continue to do what is HUMANLY possible to ramp up generation capacity. Unfortunately, there are bad elements in the society who continue to sabotage govt's efforts. Nigerians are Nigeria's greatest enemy. People complain of lack of power but at the same time sabotage govt's efforts. These sabotage may even be the handiwork of opposition elements. The govt cannot secure every inch of the gas, crude oil, petroluem products, etc pipelines.

Anyway, as more NIPP and Independent power plants come on stream, the effect of these vandalisms will reduce to the barest minimum.

Meanwhile, has the APC done what is HUMANLY possible in their area of jurisdiction? Where is the 4th Mainland bridge the APC promised Lagosians since the year 2000? Where is the brand new Lekki international Airport promised by the APC in Lagos? How come the APC have still not completed a railway project started by Jakande in the 80's after governing Lagos for 14 solid years? Are vandals also stalling these very important projects?

From all indications, the KIDNAPPER in-charge of Lagos is only busy planting flowers, marking federal roads and collecting tolls.

7 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by seanet02: 8:02am On Aug 11, 2013
<<you have not taken those drugs this morning

5 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by Nobody: 8:16am On Aug 11, 2013
And they keep increasin their FIXED charge! GEJ ur regim is anti people! High petrol price, high electricity n high cost of livin. U will not be remembered for good if dis shud continue oh.

3 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by skyfall: 8:31am On Aug 11, 2013
What a breath of fresh air
2015 is almost here
Vote for fresh air again and they'll help u drop it to 1000MW

6 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by taharqa: 8:37am On Aug 11, 2013
For the people running their mouths here, know this: this problem would be Fixed in a matter of DAYS just as the Chevron gas links problem was fixed in days when it happened about 2 months ago....... Meanwhile, Govt shld expedite current payments to d PHCN workers and hand over d various Plants and Stations to private hands so as to bring better Private Sector Efficiency to the Power chain. These back-and-forth movements is killing..
Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by guy1234: 8:42am On Aug 11, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Power generation level will always fluctuate until we build enough power generation capacity so much so that if there's any short fall in any power plant or gas distribution line, it wouldn't affect the national grid. If Nigeria was generating like 40,000 megawatts, the loss of 2,000 megawatts or so reported on this thread wouldn't have affected the national grid. In fact, nobody would have known as the relevant engineers would have silently sought for the problem and fixed it. The president and his team will continue to do what is HUMANLY possible to ramp up generation capacity. Unfortunately, there are bad elements in the society who continue to sabotage govt's efforts. Nigerians are Nigeria's greatest enemy. People complain of lack of power but at the same time sabotage govt's efforts. These sabotage may even be the handiwork of opposition elements. The govt cannot secure every inch of the gas, crude oil, petroluem products, etc pipelines.

Anyway, as more NIPP and Independent power plants come on stream, the effect of these vandalisms will reduce to the barest minimum.

Meanwhile, has the APC done what is HUMANLY possible in their area of jurisdiction? Where is the 4th Mainland bridge the APC promised Lagosians since the year 2000? Where is the brand new Lekki international Airport promised by the APC in Lagos? How come the APC have still not completed a railway project started by Jakande in the 80's after governing Lagos for 14 solid years? Are vandals also stalling these very important projects?

From all indications, the KIDNAPPER in-charge of Lagos is only busy planting flowers, marking federal roads and collecting tolls.

Sorry to say this so early on Sunday. U are incorrigibly mad. Instead of u to keep shut at d failings of ur masters u still make excuses.wetin concern apc with no light? You are maaaaad. Maybe u are Jonathan himself ,who knows?

29 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by ba7man(m): 9:03am On Aug 11, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

Your excuses are lame today. We're talking about constant drop in electricity despite the money spent and you're talking about APC.

What concerns APC with that?? If G.E.J doesn't fix this before 2015, the oposition have a legitimate smear on him to use in campaign.

Rather than try defending this, you better look for how the message gets across to him that this is 2013 and people are getting impatient.

Why blame G.E.J?? Because he's the Head.

13 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by JingoOAU(m): 9:04am On Aug 11, 2013
Am appalled and stupendously baffled that our megawatts are dropping like a ripen mango.

During the dry season, the FG will tell us that there is no water to power the Hydro stations.

During the raining season, they will also tell us that the rain has caused irreparable loss and damage to the power generating hydro plants.

For the past one month, I have been buying petrol of over 30k per month just to service my freezer, yet, I will still pay for the pre-paid phcn bill. Is this how we gonna continue in this country.

Then if we talk, some people would shut you down and even call for your head just because we are asking questions. How much is my salary when am using almost half of the salary to service electricity?? Yet, u still have your wife and children to cater for....the only thing that could make me stop shouting is if the FG and GEJ apologists could start sending into my acct money to fuel my generators.

19 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by ba7man(m): 9:09am On Aug 11, 2013
Jingo-OAU:
Am appalled and stupendously baffled that our megawatts are dropping like a ripen mango.

During the dry season, the FG will tell us that there is no water to power the Hydro stations.

During the raining season, they will also tell us that the rain has caused irreparable loss and damage to the power generating hydro plants.

For the past one month, I have been buying petrol of over 30k per month just to service my freezer, yet, I will still pay for the pre-paid phcn bill. Is this how we gonna continue in this country.

Then if we talk, some people would shut you down and even call for your head just because we are asking questions. How much is my salary when am using almost half of the salary to service electricity?? Yet, u still have your wife and children to cater for....the only thing that could make me stop shouting is if the FG and GEJ apologists could start sending into my acct money to fuel my generators.
Is this the same Jingo, OAU?? RD 12
Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by Nobody: 9:55am On Aug 11, 2013
ba7man: Is this the same Jingo, OAU?? RD 12

Aluta savvy OAU graduates...u are well recognised! I rep Awo Hall!

Unto the matter,I have continously opined that PDP(represented by GEJ) is a gradualist party...they are never in haste to deliver,they are of the view that our problems will give way by and by....poco-a-poco style! But we need individuals who are visionary and ready to move against the tide of ineptitude and 'e go better' kind of snail speed politics

Its d same kind of lame excuses we have always heard from them...I recall when Prof Nebo got in,he was regalling us with 'tales by moonlight' stories of Demons being responsible for the perennial power imbroglio as if demons,ogbanje,sanponna,Amadioha and Esu-Laalu are the ones embezzling money which were hitherto voted to the sector making it to defy all known solutions

Until we open our eyes and see that amongst our myriad problems,CORRUPTION is the Hulk Hogan amongst them and you can't fight corruption with a lily-livered president who doesnot want to commit class,tribe,religious and party suicide but prefers to play it safe in order not to step of powerful toes and limbs...so shall we continue to agonise rather than organise to vote out this people whose alibi for failure is that they didn't cause the rot ab initio

Pls give me Gen Buhari in 2015 jare and see looters scamper into oblivion be they hausas,Yoruba or Ijaw...Muslim or Igbo...

We keep doing the same thing for the past 14years whereby party members are given contracts and dey won't excute,criminals are stealing our crude even at the backyard of the president,he will only whine like a threatened armadillo but refused to do anything and expect different result.....let's keep dreaming people!

I hope our case won't be like the children of Isreal who completed a journey to the promise land in 40years a trip that could have cost them only 4days of serious organization

Whenever we ask them how far about performance,they will quickly throw ethnicity and religious bigotry into our midst breaking our ranks

25 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by premlove(m): 10:11am On Aug 11, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

i 've always like ur comment becos u have a strong persuasive comment but on this issue u are just confuse u dont know wat to write rader u are defending rubbish. Even the minister is expressing is disappiontment u are here defending rubbish am disappionted in dis ur comment

5 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by awodman: 10:32am On Aug 11, 2013
Maxymilliano: Familiar excuses;

In june it dropped to 2,290MW and in August it fell to 2,628..meaning that the fault in June was corrected and definitely this will also be corrected.As long as the current crop of PHCN staffs are still in-charge I doubt if we won't have cases like this re-occurring.

However,am happy that PHCN staffs are currently been paid their severance package and that hopefully by September the private sector guys will take over.Am also happy that before year end at least 7 of the 10 NIPP plants would be on stream thereby making cases like this not to be severe.

I will call all the current govt has done in the power sector a ruse if by next year June I don't see a depature from the old order.As ƒσя now I will continue to be patient with them believing they are on the right path.

3 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by NairaFeast(f): 10:34am On Aug 11, 2013
Naija
Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by Nobody: 10:34am On Aug 11, 2013
ba7man: Your excuses are lame today. We're talking about constant drop in electricity despite the money spent and you're talking about APC.

What concerns APC with that?? If G.E.J doesn't fix this before 2015, the oposition have a legitimate smear on him to use in campaign.

Rather than try defending this, you better look for how the message gets across to him that this is 2013 and people are getting impatient.

Why blame G.E.J?? Because he's the Head.
This is not excuses. It's the reality. Until we build our generation capacity to something far far above the national requirement, this sort of unfortunate incidents will continue to happen. Do you really expect the nation's generation capacity to hold steady at 4,000 MW or whatever level it is currently? Its impossible. These are man-made machines, fed with gas through pipelines. Anything can go wrong at any point along the chain. You cannot be generating only 4,000MW and hope that everything works perfectly from day to day.

My position is that until we build our generation capacity to something above 20,000 MW, these flip flops and short fall will continue to occur. Unfortunately, 20,000 MW cannot be achieved within a short period, atleast not this year.

When the private sector takes over the distribution system, alot of bottlenecks will be cleared. Notwithstanding the temporary shortfall in generation, alot of people still dont have power because of distribution challenges. The privatisation will solve most of the issues in the distribution chains. Even the power plants that'll also be transferred into private hands will be better managed. The NIPP and Independent power plants that will be added to the grid by late this year or early next year will boost generation. A combination of all of the above will definitely make things better.

Meanwhile, the gas pipeline damage reported on this thread is only temporary set back. In a week or two, it'll be fixed. Should we them pull down the whole house because a gas pipeline problem was reported?

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by Jomark(m): 10:38am On Aug 11, 2013
Another reason why I should vote for Jona come 2015. He did a great job in allowing Nnaji go and brought prof Nebo the power Merlin. Congrats fresh air president. I can breath it from my dark quaters!

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by Nobody: 10:38am On Aug 11, 2013
billions of dollars are pumped into power, yet........[size=15pt]NIGERIA IS DOOMED[/size]

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by Uziehot(m): 10:39am On Aug 11, 2013
The transformatn agenda of mr president has come 2 stay and make nigerians regret y they voted d present gov't. The drop on the power in the power sector is indeed the symtoms of transformatn agenda of Gej.

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by Nobody: 10:40am On Aug 11, 2013
grin

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts by Shaw007(m): 10:42am On Aug 11, 2013
I tok am . . Ahnahn!!
We no geh Lite throughout saturday . . . And das was sharply abnormal
wahla wa Oo!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Rochas Okorocha Celebrates His 55th Birthday Today / Bashir Magashi: Kankara Schoolboys' ‘Rescue’ Was Christmas Gift To Nigerians / Tinubu Hails Oyebanji, APC For Ekiti Electoral Victory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.