Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,696 members, 7,816,836 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:28 PM

Pilot Career - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pilot Career (72522 Views)

Why Become A Commercial Pilot? - Many Pilots Never Admit #11 / Will I Be Trained As A Pilot If I Join The Airforce With A Bsc In Psycology / The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 3:51pm On Nov 07, 2008
@wiod657
You can reach me on whamatix@yahoo.com.

Same for any other person interested in the Bristow Application.
Re: Pilot Career by ohiochard: 1:57am On Nov 09, 2008
@RDV

I really appreciate your selfless contributions to this thread.Its people like you we need on this planet earth.

I have been interested in flying for long.Funny,i thought am the only one with this dream.Am glad a lot of people share same dream.I have read closely @ your suggesstions and i think i have been applying them.Just want to say Thank you sir.

I am a young University graduate really interested in this prestigious profession.

I have a flair for this profession,i believe i possess the right aptitude as well to succeed in this profession.

Over the years,i have been limited by the tuition fees of most aviation schools.

I have benefited from your suggestions on how i can get me a sponsor.I again appreciate.

Sometime ago,i applied for the Bristow stuff,but i wasn't even invited for their selection process.I wonder why?as i have the requirements stipulated on the advert.Now they are calling again.WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Recently,i got the info from this thread,that Ethihad will be sponsoring.How do i go about it?of course,i would write but i would really appreciate to know what to write to them?That of the location,you already suggested Abu-Dhabi.That's my take.

I thank you sir.May the Most High continue to protect you and of course give you long life.Amen.

My email ID is ohiochard@yahoo.com
Re: Pilot Career by ohiochard: 8:32am On Nov 09, 2008
@ everybody,

I really need a pre-flying tool like the flight simulators you have been talking about.And also some books to really prepare me for ground studies.

I believe we will get there someday,but first let's get acquainted with the theoretical flying.

Please send these pieces of info on this forum for all those that will be interested and better still 2 my mail ohiochard@yahoo.com.
@ wham,
I sent you a mail indicating interest on the Bristow application.Haven't heard from you.Hope your fine.Take kie.

@ RDV,
I would really appreciate your advice on the Etihad application and your help on flight simulators and books on ground studies.
I want to have the necessary headStart for this profession.Thanks bro!
Re: Pilot Career by RDV(m): 11:25am On Nov 09, 2008
@Ohiochard,

Sometime ago,i applied for the Bristow stuff,but i wasn't even invited for their selection process.I wonder why?as i have the requirements stipulated on the advert.Now they are calling again.WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Apply again!!! Quickly!! You just have to keep trying. Being called for interview is sometimes just down to pure luck, especially if they have a lot of candidates that meet the requirements. Some people get in eventually after 3 or 4 tries. Anytime and everytime you see an advert, apply!!! Even if u have applied before. One day, it will be your turn.

Also, like you seem to be doing already, keep in touch with guys who are familiar with the Bristow cadet scheme, like wham. You will get valuable and up to date info from them.

How do i go about it?of course,i would write but i would really appreciate to know what to write to them?That of the location,you already suggested Abu-Dhabi.That's my take

At this stage, you really do not have to say much when you contact them. This is what they say on their website:

How to apply:

In 2009 we will be conducting initial assessments in London(February),Frankfurt(March),Johannesburg(May),Sydney(June),Abu Dhabi(July),Canada(August),United States of America (August and Singapore(September).to apply simply send a message to cadetpilot@etihad.ae stating clearly the location you would like to attend for the assessment. CVs are not required at this stage. Applications will be accepted up to the first day of the month before the assessment.

So, for you it is quite simple. Just say" My name is xxxxxxxxxx, I am interested in applying for the Etihad Cadet Scheme, and would like to attend the assessment in Abu Dhabi. Please send me an application form or advise how to forward my CV to you."
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 6:28pm On Nov 10, 2008
@Ohiochard
I'll check ur mail now.

I Hope U have sent your application to Bristow?
Re: Pilot Career by ohiochard: 9:41am On Nov 11, 2008
@ RDV,
I thank you for your prompt reply to my questions.
I have done accordingly.
My location was Abu-Dhabi.I got a message from them telling me no more vacant seats in my choice location.
So,i sent another message telling them Johannesburg.Sir,i think the flight expenses of the later choice is cheaper than the former?

@ wham,
I am delighted to have you on this thread.I just got your message now.Sir,am yet to apply for the Bristow.Am on my way to their office now.I am sure those materials will be of great help.Thanks once again.
You are highly acknowledged!
Re: Pilot Career by RDV(m): 11:05am On Nov 11, 2008
@Ohiochard,

Yes, the ticket price to Joburg may be cheaper than Abu Dhabi. Have they confirmed you for Joburg and have they given u a precise date for the asessment yet?

Good luck with Bristow.
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 12:53pm On Nov 11, 2008
@Ohiochard
Its my pleasure.
I'll try to keep checking my mail for any responses.
Re: Pilot Career by RDV(m): 12:57pm On Nov 11, 2008
@wham,

good job!
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 1:50pm On Nov 11, 2008
@RDV
Thank you.
Your contributions on this thread has been so helpfull. We appeciate.
Re: Pilot Career by ohiochard: 4:22pm On Nov 11, 2008
@ RDV,
I, again, appreciate your prompt response.Hoping to leave by your legacy,someday.
I will be waiting on them.
Thanks big Bro!

@ wham,
I have successfully submitted the application to Bristow.
Waiting to hearing from them.
Thanks bro!

@ everybody,
I appreciate everybody on this site ,because without you,there won't be us.
Thanks to everybody.
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 5:24pm On Nov 12, 2008
@Ohiochard
You are welcome.
Re: Pilot Career by ohiochard: 10:22am On Nov 15, 2008
@ Wham,
On Etihad,
I received a mail, shortly after i changed my choice location for the assessment,telling me:
Dear Applicant,
Thank you for your interest in the Etihad Cadet Pilot Program. We write to inform you that we have received your application. All the information required for your assessment will be provided to you one month before the assessment day.
Best Regards
Cadet Pilot
Recruitment Team

Is this what is expected from them?Pls i want to know.
Re: Pilot Career by adexblue(m): 11:06pm On Nov 15, 2008
@ ohiochard
That was the reply i received exactly but though the venue i selected was jo'burg, wink
so what we do is wait till then. we dey 2geda now!!!
@pilot 77
Thank u very much for your concern,bro i'm working on it seriously, u too much oh!!!!!!.
@wham
Baba bristow bawo ni o? i'm prayin for us all!!
@RDV
Captain wa ese ojo we really appreciate all your concerns for us,May God continue to bless u
abundantly AMEN.
@evrybody
http://www.ctcwings.co.uk/ all u guys check this out pls!!!!!!!!!
@RDV
Captain pls help us peep into this sight plssssssssssss!!!!!!!!.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH SIR.
Re: Pilot Career by adexblue(m): 11:21pm On Nov 15, 2008
@ivy4u
u dey stil dey around?ow studies?
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 10:15am On Nov 17, 2008
@Adexblue
My brother, how u dey?
Thanks for all the info and encouragement.
Re: Pilot Career by ohiochard: 7:17pm On Nov 17, 2008
@ adexblue,
Thabks bro for curing my curiosity.
Thought i was alone.
Glad that we are together in J'burg.
Re: Pilot Career by adexblue(m): 11:10pm On Nov 17, 2008
@ohiochard
"roger dat", we will keep u posted 'over and out'. smiley
@wham
oh boy guess wat i was opportuned to see an aero cykorsky flying the pattern
into the airport at close range not far from the airport,men you have to be there!!
those guys are trying as far as rotary wing is concerned there fleet is good,from wetin
i dey see from ground here.ow ur side? i go soon dey through for here. wink
@RDV
captain i dey salute, op ur stil around we dey miss u here
Re: Pilot Career by RDV(m): 1:47pm On Nov 23, 2008
Hello Everybody,

I still dey. Its quite busy at work, so not much time these days for internet, but I still dey to answer any questions you migh have.

CTC Wings is very well known, and has a good reputation. Am not 100 percent sure how it works these days, but in my own days, you had to already have your ATPL before you could even apply for the scheme.
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 5:57pm On Nov 26, 2008
I Read an article on ThisDay about the INTERNATIONAL AVIATION COLLEGE, ILORIN:

Bukola Saraki, gov. of Kwara State says the state has already spent N1.6B on the project.

He says it will be private sector driven and that 50 hectares of land was acquired for the college along airport road, Ilorin.

A momoorandum of Understanding (MOU) with HORIZON AVIATION ACADEMY of Dubai has been signed and the school is to commence operations next year May.

It is to be the best in Africa.
Re: Pilot Career by kiwi992(m): 11:48am On Nov 27, 2008
Hi All,

Just to mention that there is the Sport and Leisure Aviation Show to be held at the NEC in Birmingham (UK), on the 29th and 30th of this month.

I will be there on Sunday the 29th.  So, if any of you pilots (or budding pilots) is interested in going, please say so. 

I'll be mostly around the gyrocopter, flying car as well as the microlight stands.  It would be nice to put faces to some of the names here.

kiwi992.
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 4:58pm On Nov 27, 2008
@She-flies

The Aviation Show,  How about giving it a go?

. . .  And hooking up with Kiwi.
Re: Pilot Career by sheflies: 6:04pm On Nov 27, 2008
hey,
kiwi,
the end of which month?
if its nov the 29th is a sat not sun,
which is it? i just might come
Re: Pilot Career by sheflies: 6:07pm On Nov 27, 2008
hey kiwi, u tryign to say u will be there sunday 30th?
here is a link if u guys want to check it out.
http://www.theflyingshow.co.uk/
Re: Pilot Career by superboi(m): 6:55pm On Nov 27, 2008
hello people hope its all good. for you guys to the airshow if possible we would love some pics,hope you<ll all have a great time.wham what up? ivy4u heard a rumour that vk is in some finanicial stress,finding it difficult to pay staff on time and all that maybe you weren't destined to be caughtb up in this puddle after all?wham wats up? will holla u one of this weekends.to all, keep the dream flying and takia
Re: Pilot Career by kiwi992(m): 9:25pm On Nov 27, 2008
Hi All,

Sorry, I meant Sunday the 30th of this month.

I'll definitely be there on that day, so, if you live in the UK and not too far away from Birmingham, do come down.  You'll be amazed at what you'll see by way of the various aircraft available for pleasure flying, such as:

- FlyCar - a car that flies!  It would fly and drive to the Sahara desert on 14th Jan 2009
- Gyroplanes (my passion) such as the new Calidus
- Microlights - especially the DragonFly and the new QuikR
- Paramotors (particularly the Bailey 4-stroke and the Quattro paratrike)
- Sirocco - a single seater enclosed three-axis aircraft with a tiny 2-stroke engine
- and so on

Hope you guys can make it.  It costs £10 to get in except where you are a paid-up member of the BMAA or the BHPA.

kiwi992.
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 3:23pm On Nov 28, 2008
@Kiwi992
Just as Superboi had earlier said, we will appreciate it if we could get a couple of inspirational pictures.

(I'll like to see the car that flies)

@Superboi
My brother, I'm fine. We'll get to hook up one day
Re: Pilot Career by kiwi992(m): 10:53am On Nov 29, 2008
Hi Wham,

I'll see what I can do but I'm not promising anything.

I just wish that some of our aspiring Pilots would manage to attend because it would spur them on, meeting all those Pilots as well as seeing all those different forms of aviation.

kiwi992.
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 3:57pm On Nov 29, 2008
@Kiwi992

No problem, we'll appreciate your efforts.
Re: Pilot Career by yicob(m): 3:55pm On Nov 30, 2008
Great. @ all, keep inspiring.
Re: Pilot Career by kiwi992(m): 10:33am On Dec 01, 2008
Hi All,

I attended SPLASH (Sport and Leisure Aviation Show) at the NEC in Birmingham, yesterday, and took some photos.  I would post them here this evening, with a running commentary on the various aircraft that attracted my eyes, including the engines on them - something that is of particular interest to me.

kiwi992.
Re: Pilot Career by kiwi992(m): 11:00pm On Dec 01, 2008
Hi All,

As promised, here are some of the photos that I took yesterday at SPLASH in Birmingham.  The photographs were taken with my old Nokia N80 mobile phone.  Hope the quality isn't too bad.

Just to say that in the UK, there is a particular type of aircraft classified as SSDR - single seat de-regulated.  These are single-seat aircraft, with an empty weight of not more than 115kg, a wing loading of 10 sq metres or less and a maximum fuel capacity of 10 litres.  This is similar to the FAA Part 103 regulation aircraft in the USA.

An aircraft that meets the SSDR classification does not need an annual inspection by the UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).  It does not need an annual Permit To Fly either.  This means that you can carry out any repair to the engine by yourself, if you are competent-enough to do so.  Indeed, you can have any contraption of an aircraft by yourself, attach a wing to it and fly it legally, as long as it meets the above-mentioned criteria.  However, you DO need a Private Pilot's Licence to fly them but are not allowed to carry any passenger (don't even try to sqeeze in the wife or girlfriend on the single seat because you will be fined and grounded if caught).  The cost of ownership of an SSDR aircraft is very low, as compared with other types of aircraft but the down side is that you fly on your own all the time and thus are not able to share the fun with family and friends.  You thus become a Mr Have-No-Friends grin.  Hey, but who cares?  It means that if I die up there, I die alone, without taking anyone down with me.grin  Not very funny but it makes a lot of sense to me, don't you think so?

I remember when I was flying across the Formby sea, near Liverpool, as a pilot-under-training (put), when the aircraft door on my side (left) flung open and I nearly died with fright! Practising stalls the following weeks after this bad experience didn't help at all, if you see what I mean.  That said, flying is just great and I prefer to die up there instead of here on earth.  Once you've tasted flying, you'll be bitten by the flying bug and would forever be looking up at the skies and never wish to stop flying.  This is so very true.

Here are some of the aircraft that I saw:

1.  Sirocco - a fully-enclosed SSDR aircraft with a Rotax 447 two-stroke (2-t) engine.  It is planned to install the 2-t Black Devil engine on it but I'm not in favour of this engine because of reliability issues.  I'd personally like to see a 35hp Briggs and Stratton 4-stroke engine on it to give it a lot of thrust.

2.  FlyCar  A car that flies - it's planned to fly-drive it to the Sahara desert on the 14th of Jan 2009.  It's powered by a Yamaha R1 motorcycle engine.  The production model would look much better than the show aircraft, I'm told.  It would be sold with a fuel-injected Wankel rotary engine instead of the R1 engine currently on it.

More to come.  Enjoy!

kiwi992.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Male Nigerian Nurse: Proud Of His Profession / Meet The Aliu Family Of Medical Doctors Where All 5 Sisters Are Medical Doctors / Adaobi Nwosu: Police Officer Celebrates Birthday With Stunning Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.