Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,729 members, 7,816,997 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:35 PM

Pilot Career - Career (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pilot Career (72524 Views)

Why Become A Commercial Pilot? - Many Pilots Never Admit #11 / Will I Be Trained As A Pilot If I Join The Airforce With A Bsc In Psycology / The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 2:53pm On Jan 01, 2009
A prosperous New Year to everyone on the Pilot/Aviation thread.

May our aspirations draw nearer and our careers blossom this year
Re: Pilot Career by MadMax1(f): 12:23pm On Jan 03, 2009
Crooks, A.T.P.L is like the masters of piloting. Airlines do scrutinise your training so your flight school matters. For good, affordable P.P.L. and C.P.L I'd say South Africa and perhaps Australia. But the best flight training is to be had in the US. Honestly, they can't be beaten. The best US training schools are affiliated with airlines and line up job interviews for you when you finish training. Look around and see what bargains are to be had. Get in touch with flight schools and ask questions. Visit airline websites and see if they have flight training on offer. Some of them train pilots who commit to them for an agreed number of years. Just go for it.
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 4:15pm On Jan 13, 2009
This year cant be dry for this discussion noww!

Anybody with a story?
Re: Pilot Career by superboi(m): 2:30pm On Jan 14, 2009
happy new year everyone. for those that applied to bristow i read somewhere today they have started calling, all the best.
Re: Pilot Career by onyii4j(f): 5:28pm On Jan 14, 2009
Hi all, i got the I.V. for the Bristow Helicopters' Pilot trainee test.
Would you be kind enough as to give me a hint on how this test would look like?
Its slated for the 2nd of february 2009.
Thanx in antcipation
Re: Pilot Career by superboi(m): 5:44pm On Jan 14, 2009
read thru the forum you find ur answer
Re: Pilot Career by Crooks(m): 6:49pm On Jan 19, 2009
Happy new year everyone!! Bout the bristow pilot test, is it too late to get enlisted for the test and can one apply online
Re: Pilot Career by Kaybino(m): 3:32am On Jan 22, 2009
Do anyone knows the format for bristow helicopters' apt. test?
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 7:45pm On Jan 22, 2009
@Kaybino
Read tru the entire thread. U'll find some good answer
Re: Pilot Career by slyboggie(m): 9:12pm On Jan 25, 2009
Hi mates
I also had,d same problem looking for information on hw to be or become a pilot.believe me  its not easy,i am in a helicopter skool in ausie.and i intend to help any one interested in information about flying skools (especially in helicopters).
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 9:28am On Jan 26, 2009
You are most welcome Sly Boggie!

Your contributions will be well appreciated.

Now we can do some comparison of schools in the States, SA and now, Australia.
Re: Pilot Career by adeola250: 8:12pm On Jan 31, 2009
Hey , everybody, I always wanted to be a pilot but i dont know why i wasnt able to become one, My parents were not glad that i am one. but tell me what I have to do without having any experience, i am currently studying Public relations and Advertising but i think thats not my calling, My calling is to be a bird, and i realized you have to travel to canada and the USA. for some good trainning, India also has the same facility, but if you want to be the best you study with the best. please my email is Adeola250@yahoo.com let me know if you are kind enough to give me any advice.I assure you. i would appreciate it alot.
Re: Pilot Career by shushu(f): 3:32pm On Feb 01, 2009
Hi all,
happy new year/month.Here are some pictures of the RAF flight show at st andrews, scotland. The weather was really aweful but worth attending the event all the same.note to self next time is to take ear plugs along, the sounds from the fighter jets were deafning.Also the explosives but it was marvelous

Re: Pilot Career by shushu(f): 3:35pm On Feb 01, 2009
first two pictures are the apache doing some of its 360 degree rotations. I have accepted that i may not be able to fly commercially, but one day i'll tray my hands on the jolly ride before training for leisure.

Re: Pilot Career by shushu(f): 3:39pm On Feb 01, 2009
very poor visibility for most of the show-no thanks to scotlands bad weather.the show was almost cancelled because of the weather. i couldnt get pictures of the air marvels, but i can never forget what i saw.
cheers everyone

i also wnat to thank the pilots i contacted on this forum for their responses to my mails even through their busy schedules, God bless you.

Re: Pilot Career by superboi(m): 3:03pm On Feb 02, 2009
shushu tanx for your pictures. it was nice looking at those birds. bet the vulcan was the most deafing among the lot. tanx
Re: Pilot Career by Kazeemalao: 9:44am On Feb 03, 2009
Hi,

I'm a Computer Engineer by Profession. I love to be a Pilot / Aeronautic Engineer. How do I make my move?

Kazeem

Abuja

My CV is attached should u want to contact me. Thanks.

wink undecided cry sad

Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 1:22pm On Feb 11, 2009
Hey Shushu,
Nice pitures.

wHY DID U give up on ur flying dream?
What happened?

@kazeemalao
That CV should be going to Bristow, Aero, virgin, Arik etc
Why wld U just leave it lying here?
Just anyone can lay hands on ur personal details now and cook up some "19" for U this way.
Re: Pilot Career by Crooks(m): 8:19pm On Feb 12, 2009
Sorry but i want to digress a bit - its about cabin crew job vacancies, Anyone heard anything about any of the airlines hiring? Pls get back to me on this one - I have a 4rnd who's interested in the job, She's so so perfect for it!!!
Re: Pilot Career by seunlottu: 10:01pm On Feb 14, 2009
sly cud get me info about d austrailian chopper skools,thx
Re: Pilot Career by shushu(f): 9:07pm On Feb 18, 2009
wham:

Hey Shushu,
Nice pitures.

wHY DID U give up on ur flying dream?
What happened?

Hello wham,
i have done my best to become a pilot.I tried again last year through someone i know in bristow and well, there was some last minute discrimination, so i let it go.
Re: Pilot Career by shushu(f): 9:09pm On Feb 18, 2009
seunlottu:

sly cud get me information about d austrailian chopper skools,thx

Bas air in australia.I contacted them a couple of years ago
Re: Pilot Career by pilot77(m): 8:44am On Feb 19, 2009
to all of you out there,Never ever Give up.Always remember that nothing good comes easy and you only see obstacles when you take your eyes off your goals. wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pilot Career by kiwi992(m): 11:58am On Feb 20, 2009
Hi All,

So what's happening with your flying dreams?

I hope you guys are not thinking of giving up on the dream because flying is the best thing that you could ever do in your life.  Take it from me!  Once you've caught the flying bug, you'll forever be looking up at the skies and wanting to be up there.  Please keep the dream alive.

Just to give you an idea of the cost of learning how to fly in some countries:

India = very cheap
Russia = cheap
Ukraine = cheap
Czech Republic = cheap
Slovakia = cheap
Poland = cheap
Indonesia = cheap
USA = cheap
Canada = cheap
Malaysia = expensive
Singapore = expensive
South Africa = expensive
Australia = very expensive
New Zealand = very expensive
UK = very expensive

Most (if not all) of these countries are members of ICAO, so really, you shouldn't have problems with the validy of their licences in Nigeria, other than a check ride.  Just research into it.  All you need is your cash in your pocket, arrival at the flying school in the country of your choice and voila, you're on!  You're on your first flying lesson towards the PPL without too much headache.   

Failing that, you could always fly for leisure, just like me.  Get the Private Pilot's Licence and you're off in the air fulfilling your flying dreams, before you know it.

Indeed, there are many types of affordable aircraft to own and fly e.g. gyroplane, microlight, PPC, paratrike, foot-launched powered hang glider, paramotor, paraglider, and so on.  Flying is flying, as long as you get up in the air.  You mustn't feel hopeless about it or wait for the airlines or oil companies to train you.  You should rely on yourselves to get trained somehow, but train, you MUST!

Lastly, you could pull your resources together and build a two-seater aircraft and train in it, or indeed, build a small helicopter from kit.  The possibilities are endless.

I hope this would get you guys thinking because of all the things that I have done in my life, flying is what I like doing best.  You can't beat the adrenalin rush, the take-off, the serenity in the air, the closeness to nature, flying like a bird, and the pure joy of it all. 

kiwi992.
Re: Pilot Career by superboi(m): 4:32pm On Feb 26, 2009
kiwi are u saying that its cheaper to train in the states than in sa? and why kiwi, thats a bird that don't fly? cheesy
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 4:35pm On Feb 26, 2009
Thanks Kiwi992

You are the man!
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 4:39pm On Feb 26, 2009
Hey Superboi, how have U been? Its been a while
Re: Pilot Career by kiwi992(m): 1:26pm On Mar 07, 2009
Hi All,

SUPERBOI

Yes, I'm saying that it's a lot, lot cheaper to train in the States than it is to train in South Africa.  It used to cost peanuts an hour to train in the US, years ago.  Still, it's much cheaper to train there even now.  So is Canada.  Lots of Brits go to the States to train.

The flying schools would do everything to get your business, especially in these days of economic downturn.  Most of them have got a well-maintained fleet of aircraft - Cessnas, Pipers, Beech Duchesses, Robinsons and so on, in addition to a good ground school. 

Whatever you do, please do NOT pay the fees up-front.  You pay as you go along 'cos you never know what could happen to the flying school.

WHAM

Thanks.  I honestly wish it were easier for our people to get into flying.

Flying is my number one passion in life and nothing else comes close to it.  I fly at every opportunity, weather permitting.  It's so much fun.  Sod everything else, flying is what I love best and I know that I'll most probably die up there doing what I love doing - and what a befitting way it would be to depart this earth. 

kiwi992.
Re: Pilot Career by Rtwotwo: 6:34am On Mar 13, 2009
hi everybody,
just hit this forum and like it very much.I actually did my PPL (h) in south africa ,got the licence and move to USA to complete my CPL,(all self sponsored ).but due to economic turndown ,i have to look for sponsor in nigeria.MY question is what are my chances of getting one , which company should I contact and any help to how to get the contacts will be appreciated .thanks
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 7:31pm On Mar 13, 2009
Possible sponsors

1. Aero Contractors Nig.

2. Bristow Helicopters Nig.

3. the new "Int. college of Aviation, Ilorin"

etc

Mail me on whamatix@yahoo.com*

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pilot Career by FlyinNaija: 1:48pm On Mar 17, 2009
Possible sponsors:

1. Arik Air - they have a cadet program (0 hrs-CPL)

2. Virgin Nigeria- They have a cadet program (0 hrs -CPL)

3. Aerocontractors - train PPL holders and sometimes 0 hr candidates to fly helicopters

4. Bristow Helicopters/ Pan African helicopter - same as the above

5. Your state govt - i know quite a few people that have recieved assistance from their various states, being female can help
Re: Pilot Career by kiwi992(m): 1:08pm On Mar 19, 2009
Hi Rtwotwo,

Rtwotwo:

hi everybody,
just hit this forum and like it very much.I actually did my PPL (h) in south africa ,got the licence and move to USA to complete my CPL,(all self sponsored ).but due to economic turndown ,i have to look for sponsor in nigeria.MY question is what are my chances of getting one , which company should I contact and any help to how to get the contacts will be appreciated .thanks

I'm surprised that you haven't bothered to come here to thank those people that have been kind-enough to have given you the information that you wanted.

What does it take to say 'thanks'?  Now't, if you ask me. 

Perhaps people would be more willing to help others if only they could be shown gratitude.

kiwi992.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply)

Male Nigerian Nurse: Proud Of His Profession / Meet The Aliu Family Of Medical Doctors Where All 5 Sisters Are Medical Doctors / Adaobi Nwosu: Police Officer Celebrates Birthday With Stunning Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.