Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,270 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. - Education (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. (44398 Views)

Oau Cut- Off Mark For Law 2012/2013 / 78 Year Old Awujale Of Ijebuland Enrols For Law At National Open University / Which University In Nigeria Is The Best For Law Mass Communication (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by gentlefada(m): 1:41pm On Oct 04, 2013
Illuminatus: I was reading a blog that made me once again question some part of our constitution.
Do you think it's LEGALLY right that the constitution categorizes gay sex as a criminal offense? Please note, I'm not asking if it's RELIGIOUSLY OR CULTURALLY RIGHT. My emphasis is on the Law.
Personally, I think homosexuality and/gay sex shouldn't be seen as a crime, as long as it is between two consenting adults or minors (as the case may be) and in private. I'm going to talk later, but I wanna hear what you guys have to say. Make your casesmiley
hmmmmm. I remember when i was in part 1 when did a topic under legal methods which is sources of law. Basically, the aim of the topic was to examine the different sources which law can be drawn from. Some of those sources are history of the people, values of the people, religion and culture of the people etc.
The last sources i mention which is culture and religion is an important source of law which cannot be contradicted or compromised in any way. In the drafting of any law there must be strict adherence to the culture of people because having a law that is inconsistent with what the culture of the people permits would be catastrophic to the democracy of that community. A striking example of this Nigerian criminal justice system. As you should be aware of Nigeria crimanal trials are cunducted with provisions from two main statute books
1) the criminal code
2) the penal code
The former operates in the south while the latter operates in the north. The northerners are predominantly a islam practicing society and people who practice islam as prescribed by the Holy book which is the Quran and the Sunaa (the practise of the prophet). The northern penal code was fashioned in adherence with the Quran and the Sunaa becus failure to do so would create an ungovernable society.
Now lets take Nigeria as a whole. You would agree with me that majority of Nigerians whether we like it or not are religious. Also, Nigeria is a country where culture is paramount. Enacting a law that allows homosexuality would be contradictory the majority of nigerian culture.
Finally, according to jeremy benthan law should create the greatest amount of happiness for the greatest amoun the society. Allowing homosexuality would not achieve goal.
So my bro law culture and religio cannot be separeted in a country like Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by gentlefada(m): 1:45pm On Oct 04, 2013
gentlefada: hmmmmm. I remember when i was in part 1 when did a topic under legal methods which is sources of law. Basically, the aim of the topic was to examine the different sources which law can be drawn from. Some of those sources are history of the people, values of the people, religion and culture of the people etc.
The last sources i mention which is culture and religion is an important source of law which cannot be contradicted or compromised in any way. In the drafting of any law there must be strict adherence to the culture of people because having a law that is inconsistent with what the culture of the people permits would be catastrophic to the democracy of that community. A striking example of this Nigerian criminal justice system. As you should be aware of Nigeria crimanal trials are cunducted with provisions from two main statute books
1) the criminal code
2) the penal code
The former operates in the south while the latter operates in the north. The northerners are predominantly a islam practicing society and people who practice islam as prescribed by the Holy book which is the Quran and the Sunaa (the practise of the prophet). The northern penal code was fashioned in adherence with the Quran and the Sunaa becus failure to do so would create an ungovernable society.
Now lets take Nigeria as a whole. You would agree with me that majority of Nigerians whether we like it or not are religious. Also, Nigeria is a country where culture is paramount. Enacting a law that allows homosexuality would be contradictory the majority of nigerian culture.
Finally, according to jeremy benthan law should create the greatest amount of happiness for the greatest amount of people in the society. Allowing homosexuality would not achieve goal.
So my bro law culture and religio cannot be separeted in a country like Nigeria.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 1:52pm On Oct 04, 2013
learning....
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 2:04pm On Oct 04, 2013
gentlefada: hmmmmm. I remember when i was in part 1 when did a topic under legal methods which is sources of law. Basically, the aim of the topic was to examine the different sources which law can be drawn from. Some of those sources are history of the people, values of the people, religion and culture of the people etc.
1) the criminal code
2) the penal code
Finally, according to jeremy benthan law should create the greatest amount of happiness for the greatest amoun the society. Allowing homosexuality would not achieve goal.
I know law can be sourced from cultural beliefs and religious norms. But not every Law in the Nigerian constitution is culled from the Bible, or Koran or even religious sentiments. I believe there I read somewhere that there are laws that are enacted because they're universally right or wrong (as the case may be) and then laws that are objectively right or wrong [Basic Theses of Natural Law]. For example, the Law instructing drivers to wear seatbelts isn't culled from any religious or cultural belief, it is purely objectively right [I believe there's a phrase for it].
Moreover, I'm not demanding that gay marriage be legalized. I'm just questioning how right it is to criminalize something like this. Especially since some acts that I could argue is in the same category (like fornication) isn't labelled a crime.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by gentlefada(m): 2:34pm On Oct 04, 2013
Illuminatus:
I know law can be sourced from cultural beliefs and religious norms. But not every Law in the Nigerian constitution is culled from the Bible, or Koran or even religious sentiments. I believe there I read somewhere that there are laws that are enacted because they're universally right or wrong (as the case may be) and then laws that are objectively right or wrong [Basic Theses of Natural Law]. For example, the Law instructing drivers to wear seatbelts isn't culled from any religious or cultural belief, it is purely objectively right [I believe there's a phrase for it].
Moreover, I'm not demanding that gay marriage be legalized. I'm just questioning how right it is to criminalize something like this. Especially since some acts that I could argue is in the same category (like fornication) isn't labelled a crime.
First, let me say that u are right by saying not all laws in Nigeria emanated from religion and tradition but my point is a law cannot be in total contrast with the culture of the people.
Secondly on the issue of universal nature of some laws. Homosexuality is not an issue that has been universally accepted compared to likes of freedom of speech, association, right to fair hearing etc. It is accepted in some countries and rejected in some because of its subjective nature. This is because it touches the cultural aspects of the lives of the people and culture differs from country to country. Universally accepted principles of law cuts across cultures and religion and homosexuality does not.
Finally, the law cannot be indefferent. It is either you are for or against something. In the case of homosexuality if its not a crime then what would it be?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 3:22pm On Oct 04, 2013
Fentoluwa: Has anyone seen the 'boston legal' movie? I think it's a good movie to watch and learn few legal persuasive skills.
yeah, that boston legal is interesting. Do you know where i can download it?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 4:03pm On Oct 04, 2013
Something that should be left for personal opinion? America ceased to LEGALLY view gay sex as a crime in the late 80's. While this might have something to do with their culture, it goes to show that they've realized that it isn't something that should be fought against LEGALLY. I feel that Nigeria's continuance to view gay sex as a crime as an infringement of the freedom of expression, and personal liberty. That something isn't normal (I'm using this word lightly) doesn't mean that it IS wrong. Does this mean that the law that the legislature recently passed allowing the marriage of underaged girls is right? Does this mean that the killing of twin in the 20th was right? And what about people that doesn't believe in the Bible, Koran or Traditional Customs?
P.S: this post is just my view and opinion. I'm in no way antagonizing anybody here, yet.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by lanaVello1(m): 9:23am On Oct 05, 2013
olire: yeah, that boston legal is interesting. Do you know where i can download it?
i think you should see SUITS,its more than interesting. dah movie has me on the edge always. awaiting winter final next january
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 11:35am On Oct 05, 2013
lana_Vello:
i think you should see SUITS,its more than interesting. dah movie has me on the edge always. awaiting winter final next january
i hav also heard of suits, do you know a site to download it?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by gentlefada(m): 1:45pm On Oct 05, 2013
olire: i hav also heard of suits, do you know a site to download it?
just go to www.mobiletvshows.net
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by lanaVello1(m): 3:28pm On Oct 05, 2013
olire: i hav also heard of suits, do you know a site to download it?
www.o2tvseries.com
www.tricksforpc.org
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Tundeajani(m): 4:38pm On Oct 05, 2013
First of all greetings to all the learned minds in here..tunde ajani is the name,an ardent lover of the field of law..(prays the dream becomes a reality one day)straight out i bring forward to the round table of discussion of this thread an issue that has been burning on my mind. It is the case of the phcn..how possible is it for me to sue the management of this company over non performance..with reference to our agreement; i as a consumer who has fulfill all financial obligation and still yet denied the services of what i payed for and they as a company who takes delight in perpetrating fraud at the expense of the masses..
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 9:22pm On Oct 05, 2013
You can sue them, but I'm going to tell you that the outcome won't be favourable to you, at all.
The company is a public company operating in a monopoly. That gives them some sort of edge. They're going to give a lot of reasons why their service isn't up to the standard you're describing here. Most of these reasons will even pan out. In fact, at the end of the day, they'll use the case as an outlet to advertise their grievances and make the masses pity and side with them.
Another point is that you do not really have a ground to sue them. Officially, you only pay for amount of energy you use. There is no law demanding them to provide stable power for twenty four hours. So, you see?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 9:35pm On Oct 05, 2013
gentlefada: just go to www.mobiletvshows.net
hmmm, this site is fztvseries reborn isn't it? By d way, where can i download boston legal.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 9:40pm On Oct 05, 2013
lana_Vello:
www.o2tvseries.com
www.tricksforpc.org
thanks gy. Wat a strange moniker :\
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by lanaVello1(m): 9:50pm On Oct 05, 2013
olire: thanks gy. Wat a strange moniker :/
grin is it the lana that is the strange or the vello? or both?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Samtolly4JESUS(m): 9:54pm On Oct 05, 2013
Geeks in the House. Here goes a question.

It has been said that although logic plays an important role in legal reasoning, it only part of the story .Engage this statement in the light of legal reasoning and justification.

Thanks in advance!
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Tundeajani(m): 9:55pm On Oct 05, 2013
Illuminatus: You can sue them, but I'm going to tell you that the outcome won't be favourable to you, at all.
The company is a public company operating in a monopoly. That gives them some sort of edge. They're going to give a lot of reasons why their service isn't up to the standard you're describing here. Most of these reasons will even pan out. In fact, at the end of the day, they'll use the case as an outlet to advertise their grievances and make the masses pity and side with them.
Another point is that you do not really have a ground to sue them. Officially, you only pay for amount of energy you use. There is no law demanding them to provide stable power for twenty four hours. So, you see?
the energy i pay for i dont get to use,is that not an issue worthy of being challenge in the court of law or we continue to look as agencies such as this defraud nigerians all in the name of 'na govt pickin,no touch am'?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 10:01pm On Oct 05, 2013
lana_Vello:
grin is it the lana that is the strange or the vello? or both?
both, where did u get thr idea from undecided
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 10:19pm On Oct 05, 2013
Illuminatus: Something that should be left for personal opinion? America ceased to LEGALLY view gay sex as a crime in the late 80's. While this might have something to do with their culture, it goes to show that they've realized that it isn't something that should be fought against LEGALLY. I feel that Nigeria's continuance to view gay sex as a crime as an infringement of the freedom of expression, and personal liberty. That something isn't normal (I'm using this word lightly) doesn't mean that it IS wrong. Does this mean that the law that the legislature recently passed allowing the marriage of underaged girls is right? Does this mean that the killing of twin in the 20th was right? And what about people that doesn't believe in the Bible, Koran or Traditional Customs?
P.S: this post is just my view and opinion. I'm in no way antagonizing anybody here, yet.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by damosky12(m): 10:29pm On Oct 05, 2013
Illuminatus: I was reading a blog that made me once again question some part of our constitution.
Do you think it's LEGALLY right that the constitution categorizes gay sex as a criminal offense? Please note, I'm not asking if it's RELIGIOUSLY OR CULTURALLY RIGHT. My emphasis is on the Law.
Personally, I think homosexuality and/gay sex shouldn't be seen as a crime, as long as it is between two consenting adults or minors (as the case may be) and in private. I'm going to talk later, but I wanna hear what you guys have to say. Make your casesmiley
As far as Africa or on a more specific note, Nigeria is concerned; homosexuality is against the law. Nigeria is a land of a very rich moral and cultural heritage. These (the Nigerian culture) serve as a guideline to distinguishing between what is good or bad for us as a Nation. Hence, the need to emphasize 'strict adherence to the Nigerian culture' in the Nigerian constitution. So, a great percentage of the Nigerian constitution is a product of her moral and cultural heritage. Our culture, I believe is naturally against homosexuality and some of the "in vogue" practices of the white man. Besides, you cant compare the white man culture with Africa's. They have no culture that lays aside the need to be morally sound. THEY CANT IMPOSE THEIR FALLACY ON US. We know better as far as moral is concerned!!
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 10:30pm On Oct 05, 2013
Illuminatus: Something that should be left for personal opinion? America ceased to LEGALLY view gay sex as a crime in the late 80's. While this might have something to do with their culture, it goes to show that they've realized that it isn't something that should be fought against LEGALLY. I feel that Nigeria's continuance to view gay sex as a crime as an infringement of the freedom of expression, and personal liberty. That something isn't normal (I'm using this word lightly) doesn't mean that it IS wrong. Does this mean that the law that the legislature recently passed allowing the marriage of underaged girls is right? Does this mean that the killing of twin in the 20th was right? And what about people that doesn't believe in the Bible, Koran or Traditional Customs?
in the words of John locke humans have "unalienable rights". Your liberty does not include violation of d acceptable norms in a society. As bestiality is unlawful in Nigeria so is homosexuality. If this bill wasnt trashed out, more crimes might emanate all in d name of homosexuality. Let's forget abt culture n religion, that bill contains more harm than good.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 11:03pm On Oct 05, 2013
Tunde ajani: the energy i pay for i dont get to use,is that not an issue worthy of being challenge in the court of law or we continue to look as agencies such as this defraud nigerians all in the name of 'na govt pickin,no touch am'?
when you pay your bill, they stipulate the amount of energy you used, the amount they charge for each unit of energy you used. They charge for what YOU USED. I still think you have no basis to sue over that.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 11:10pm On Oct 05, 2013
Fentoluwa: in the words of John locke humans have "unalienable rights". Your liberty does not include violation of d acceptable norms in a society. As bestiality is unlawful in Nigeria so is homosexuality. If this bill wasnt trashed out, more crimes might emanate all in d name of homosexuality. Let's forget abt culture n religion, that bill contains more harm than good.
did you read my post about underaged marriage? Isn't that part of our culture? I get your point that Nigerians view being gay as very wrong, but I just can't patronise it because I know there's a whole lot more things worse than having two guys that wanna plo into each other in private.
Anyway, What bill are you talking about? I didn't say anything about initiating any bill, did I?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 11:17pm On Oct 05, 2013
Samtolly4JESUS: Geeks in the House. Here goes a question.

It has been said that although logic plays an important role in legal reasoning, it only part of the story .Engage this statement in the light of legal reasoning and justification.

Thanks in advance!
I just got admitted and as such, I don't know much about philosophy teachings in Law, but from what I know, Logic is indispeneable in Law. It's through logic that lawyers deduct facts and use these facts to convince the judge or jury that their client is innocent or right.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Aribab(m): 7:36am On Oct 06, 2013
Illuminatus:
I just got admitted and as such, I don't know much about philosophy teachings in Law, but from what I know, Logic is indispeneable in Law. It's through logic that lawyers deduct facts and use these facts to convince the judge or jury that their client is innocent or right.
U re right, but u av 2 b familiar wit philosophy 2 because dis is just d bedrock of a Judge dat enables him 2 think deeply on wat lawyers tendered or argued b4 him.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by bemagnify: 8:36am On Oct 06, 2013
Illuminatus:
logic is a vital aspect of legal reasoning BT be DAT as it may knowing d law and wia to fyn d law wen neccesary is more important... wots d need of logic wen u don't know d law or know wia to fyn d law?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 1:30pm On Oct 06, 2013
bemagnify: logic is a vital aspect of legal reasoning BT be DAT as it may knowing d law and wia to fyn d law wen neccesary is more important... wots d need of logic wen u don't know d law or know wia to fyn d law?
You don't understand. I was answering a question about the place of logic in Law. I'm not saying that Logic was more important than Law.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Samtolly4JESUS(m): 1:44pm On Oct 06, 2013
Illuminatus:

Bro, I perfectly understand you.

Well, I think it will be expedient to state the fact that the question is actually an Exam question.

So I'll prefer if we'll be more Objective.

Thanks sire.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by lanaVello1(m): 3:22pm On Oct 06, 2013
olire: both, where did u get thr idea from undecided
lol,twas wen i wanted to create my google acct years ago so i was brainstorming for an awesome idea and dz 1 jez came to mind & i so much lyked it,it became my sobriquet since dencheesy
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 4:30pm On Oct 06, 2013
lana_Vello:
lol,twas wen i wanted to create my google acct years ago so i was brainstorming for an awesome idea and dz 1 jez came to mind & i so much lyked it,it became my sobriquet since dencheesy
very akward undecided
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Anaskie(m): 4:49pm On Oct 06, 2013
Phiozy: Phoebe Ozy I.
Law
ABSU
Awaiting NLS.
I graduated from Absu. Wat level are u in?

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (28) (Reply)

Lecturer Smashes Student’s iPhone For Ringing During Class (Photos, Video) / Female Student Electrocuted At Rivers State University (Photo) / Ademola Tayo, Babcock VC: Why We Expelled Sex Tape Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.