Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,470 members, 7,816,115 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:19 AM

A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. - Education (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. (44397 Views)

Oau Cut- Off Mark For Law 2012/2013 / 78 Year Old Awujale Of Ijebuland Enrols For Law At National Open University / Which University In Nigeria Is The Best For Law Mass Communication (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 4:57pm On Oct 06, 2013
Samtolly4JESUS:

Bro, I perfectly understand you.

Well, I think it will be expedient to state the fact that the question is actually an Exam question.

So I'll prefer if we'll be more Objective.

Thanks sire.
what do you mean more objective?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 5:08pm On Oct 06, 2013
Illuminatus:
did you read my post about underaged marriage? Isn't that part of our culture? I get your point that Nigerians view being gay as very wrong, but I just can't patronise it because I know there's a whole lot more things worse than having two guys that wanna plo into each other in private.
Anyway, What bill are you talking about? I didn't say anything about initiating any bill, did I?
Under aged marriage is part of some culture in Nigeria but some traditions frowns at it. Any proposed law on the floor of the house is known as a 'bill'. Gay marriage was proposed back then, but it was later trashed out. that's where the word "bill" emanated from in my argument. A legislative house will not enact law cos it is right and beneficial to a few. The 'potential' gay men we have here in Nigeria will be happy if the bill was voted into law but will the whole country be happy? bro, let me give you a riddle to solve. you are a pilot in a plane containing about 500 people, to avoid a plane crash you need to make an emergency landing. unfortunately, a young lad was lying on the runway. what will you do? run the plane over the boy or give up the plane and let the 500 die?? the reason for this question is to tell you the importance of the theory of "greatest happiness of all" according to Jeremy Bentham
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 5:36pm On Oct 06, 2013
Fentoluwa: Under aged marriage is part of some culture in Nigeria but some traditions frowns at it. Any proposed law on the floor of the house is known as a 'bill'. Gay marriage was proposed back then, but it was later trashed out. that's where the word "bill" emanated from in my argument. A legislative house will not enact law cos it is right and beneficial for a few. The 'potential' gay men we have here in Nigeria will be happy if the bill was voted into law but will the whole country be happy? bro, let me give you a riddle to solve. you are a pilot in a plane containing about 500 people, to avoid a plane crash you need to make an emergency landing. unfortunately, a young lad was lying on the runway. what will you do? run the plane over the boy or give up the plane and let the 500 die?? the reason for this question is to tell you the importance of the theory of "greatest happiness of all" according to Jeremy Bentham
Once again, I ask, did you read my first post on this topic? I'm NOT canvassing for the legalization of gay marriage. We aren't prepared for that yet. What I'm questioning is the validity of the fact that the law recognises gay sex as a crime (ridiculously being punished by a fourteen years jail term).
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 5:48pm On Oct 06, 2013
Illuminatus:
Once again, I ask, did you read my first post on this topic? I'm NOT canvassing for the legalization of gay marriage. We aren't prepared for that yet. What I'm questioning is the validity of the fact that the law recognises gay sex as a crime (ridiculously being punished by a fourteen years jail term).
what i'm telling you is that, it was prohibited cos of the imminent danger involved. God bless JJ Rosseau “Man is born free, but is everywhere in chains”. As you've said in your first post on this subject, killing of the twins was done in the dark ages and it was lawful then, no law prohibiting it. fundamental rights of man has to be limited to avoid danger. we all have right to life but wait, does your right entitles you to commit suicide?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Samtolly4JESUS(m): 6:06pm On Oct 06, 2013
Illuminatus:
Samtolly4JESUS: Geeks in the House. Here goes a question.

It has been said that although logic plays an important role in legal reasoning, it only part of the story .Engage this statement in the light of legal reasoning and justification.

Thanks in advance!
Illuminatus:

Objective in the sense that I'll love if the answer goes in Context with the Question.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 7:31pm On Oct 06, 2013
Fentoluwa: what i'm telling you is that, it was prohibited cos of the imminent danger involved. God bless JJ Rosseau “Man is born free, but is everywhere in chains”. As you've said in your first post on this subject, killing of the twins was done in the dark ages and it was lawful then, no law prohibiting it. fundamental rights of man has to be limited to avoid danger. we all have right to life but wait, does your right entitles you to commit suicide?
If it doesn't, would you charge people who commit to court? And why are you comparing gay sex with suicide?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 7:38pm On Oct 06, 2013
Samtolly4JESUS:

Objective in the sense that I'll love if the answer goes in Context with the Question.
Sighs. I wasn't being objective? Pray, please show me how to be objective by answering your own question.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Samtolly4JESUS(m): 7:42pm On Oct 06, 2013
Illuminatus:
Sighs. I wasn't being objective? Pray, please show me how to be objective by answering your own question.

I guess weren't understanding our language sire.

By the way, Which School did you got admitted into sire?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 7:44pm On Oct 06, 2013
Illuminatus:
If it doesn't, would you charge people who commit to court? And why are you comparing gay sex with suicide?
we are talking about fundamental rights as a whole. you made mention of this in your first post. in essence, what you are arguing is 'prohibition of gay marriage is an infringement on people's right'
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 8:07pm On Oct 06, 2013
Fentoluwa: we are talking about fundamental rights as a whole. you made mention of this in your first post. in essence, what you are arguing is 'prohibition of gay marriage is an infringement on people's right'
I'm NOT CANVASSING FOR LEGALIZATION OF GAY MARRIAGE. I'm just saying that I think it's not right that GAY SEX IS CONSIDERED A CRIME.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by lanaVello1(m): 11:57pm On Oct 06, 2013
i undastand &uphold illuminatus' point.
y shud i get arrested for havin sex wif a fellow gender so far he aint a minor neither was he forced.
making gay marriage a crime is as wrong as legalizing it!
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Samtolly4JESUS(m): 6:39am On Oct 07, 2013
Samtolly4JESUS: Geeks in the House. Here goes a question.

It has been said that although logic plays an important role in legal reasoning, it only part of the story .Engage this statement in the light of legal reasoning and justification.

Thanks in advance!
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by lanaVello1(m): 10:40am On Oct 11, 2013
is this thread dying or wah
in an attempt to revive it&satisfy my curiosity;can an advocate represent himself in court?
lyk the accused becoming the defendant too?!
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 10:58am On Oct 11, 2013
lana_Vello: is this thread dying or wah
in an attempt to revive it&satisfy my curiosity;can an advocate represent himself in court?
lyk the accused becoming the defendant too?!
Off the top of my head, yes. There was this weird case a few years ago in California, when someone who was accused to terrorising people in a bus acted as his own counsel. A lot of the witnesses found it eerie that he was interrogating them on a crime he was charged with.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 11:02am On Oct 11, 2013
are my able barristers, philosopher on strike to or what?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 11:10am On Oct 11, 2013
In criminal cases, if you
cannot afford a lawyer, the
court will appoint a lawyer
for you, like a public
defender. But in civil cases,
you do not have the right to
a court-appointed lawyer so,
if you cannot afford your
own lawyer, you have to
represent yourself.
Some people choose to
represent themselves even if
they could pay a lawyer
because they feel they can
handle the case on their own.
In small claims cases, you are
not allowed to have a lawyer,
so everyone in small claims
court is representing himself
or herself.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 11:13am On Oct 11, 2013
Fynestboi: are my able barristers, philosopher on strike to or what?
I checked in yesterday, but the topic on ground was...well, I didn't feel like it. I guess it's getting kinda boringtongue
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 11:18am On Oct 11, 2013
Illuminatus:
I checked in yesterday, but the topic on ground was...well, I didn't feel like it. I guess it's getting kinda boringtongue
really
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Samoranopapa(m): 5:06pm On Oct 11, 2013
Illuminatus: In criminal cases, if you
cannot afford a lawyer, the
court will appoint a lawyer
for you, like a public
defender. But in civil cases,
you do not have the right to
a court-appointed lawyer so,
if you cannot afford your
own lawyer, you have to
represent yourself.
Some people choose to
represent themselves even if
they could pay a lawyer
because they feel they can
handle the case on their own.
In small claims cases, you are
not allowed to have a lawyer,
so everyone in small claims
court is representing himself
or herself.
hummm I lyk dat nd is a very intrestin thing to do as 4 me ooo
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Samoranopapa(m): 5:09pm On Oct 11, 2013
Pls I wanna ask dat is it possible 4 a barrister without a SAN honour to become a judge

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 7:33pm On Oct 11, 2013
No. You are not required to be a SAN before you're appointed a judge. But it is expected that you become a SAN before becoming a judge of most superior courts. Just like it is expected for a Minister be very knowledgable about his portfolio.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Samoranopapa(m): 10:58pm On Oct 11, 2013
Illuminatus: No. You are not required to be a SAN before you're appointed a judge. But it is expected that you become a SAN before becoming a judge of most superior courts. Just like it is expected for a Minister be very knowledgable about his portfolio.
okay thank u sire
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by omobajohn58(m): 7:39am On Oct 12, 2013
In view of the ongoing industrial action by ASUU...can any party to the strike be suedconsidering d fact that d UN charter makes provision 4 d universal right to education which they are denying d s2dents
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by hypergig(m): 10:40am On Oct 12, 2013
Where are the think tanks,...d law stud are d only one's giving their input..
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 10:43am On Oct 12, 2013
Samoranopapa: hummm I lyk dat nd is a very intrestin thing to do as 4 me ooo
Why would you find it interesting? Are you hoping to get charged with a case soon? cheesy
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 10:48am On Oct 12, 2013
omobajohn58: In view of the ongoing industrial action by ASUU...can any party to the strike be suedconsidering d fact that d UN charter makes provision 4 d universal right to education which they are denying d s2dents
Yes. You can charge them to court for that. But it'd be a waste of time. This isn't what the constitution means by denial of education. Now, if a lecturer or the uni stops you from getting education that you paid for (with no just reason), that's a different issue altogether.
But interestingly, ASUU could have sued the FG for their reluctance to uphold the 2009 Agreement and they probably would have won, but it'd have very time consuming.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Samoranopapa(m): 11:19am On Oct 12, 2013
Illuminatus:
Why would you find it interesting? Are you hoping to get charged with a case soon? cheesy
hummm I don't but I think as a professional lawyer defendin himself in a court of law will give him a chance to win the case. Note:am still a learner
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Illuminatus(m): 11:58am On Oct 12, 2013
Samoranopapa: hummm I don't but I think as a professional lawyer defendin himself in a court of law will give him a chance to win the case. Note:am still a learner
One of the requirements of being a good lawyer is OBJECTIVITY. As an accused (or even the plantiff), you loose right of this. You become partial and may not be able to observe things as you should. (There's a reason why US detectives aren't allowed to solve crimes relating to them or their family). Yes, as a lawyer you can defend yourself, but I advice you (and any other person) to seek the counsel other lawyers and legal practisoners.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 11:29pm On Oct 12, 2013
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Samoranopapa(m): 11:58pm On Oct 12, 2013
Illuminatus:
One of the requirements of being a good lawyer is OBJECTIVITY. As an accused (or even the plantiff), you loose right of this. You become partial and may not be able to observe things as you should. (There's a reason why US detectives aren't allowed to solve crimes relating to them or their family). Yes, as a lawyer you can defend yourself, but I advice you (and any other person) to seek the counsel other lawyers and legal practisoners.
okay wat of an issue whereby ur mum,u,nd ur GF re lawyers,nd unfortunately ur GF is been accused of killing ur own bro nd charged to court nd ur mum is standing 4 the govt,nd u re standing 4 ur GF.ow will u go through it ?(nd ur GF is insisting dat she want u as her lawyer)
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 9:45am On Oct 14, 2013
Samoranopapa: okay wat of an issue whereby ur mum,u,nd ur GF re lawyers,nd unfortunately ur GF is been accused of killing ur own bro nd charged to court nd ur mum is standing 4 the govt,nd u re standing 4 ur GF.ow will u go through it ?(nd ur GF is insisting dat she want u as her lawyer)
I think there are professional ethics rules that bars a lawyer from representing a client in cases like this
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 9:50am On Oct 14, 2013
Get your pens ready...

First of its kind dnt be left out

https://www.nairaland.com/1475800/nairaland-annual-educational-debate-competition

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (28) (Reply)

Lecturer Smashes Student’s iPhone For Ringing During Class (Photos, Video) / Female Student Electrocuted At Rivers State University (Photo) / Ademola Tayo, Babcock VC: Why We Expelled Sex Tape Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.