Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,393 members, 7,826,515 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 03:24 PM

The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant (16888 Views)

Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant / What Is The New Covenant, And What Is The Old Covenant? / What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Goshen360(m): 4:24pm On Sep 08, 2013
Pastor Aji:

Check Heb. 7:6 - 9 and interpret the verse

I have checked. Please ask your question(s) and lemme answer. I can't do too much typing from the phone now.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Nobody: 4:25pm On Sep 08, 2013
Gombs: Bidam tearing some dude to shreds

@Goshen, you are just showing you have little knowledge of the bible.
grin
Lol. I'm not sure you know what you are talking about.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Gombs(m): 4:31pm On Sep 08, 2013
Goshen360:

That's where the difference between the old and new covenant comes to play. Malachi says bring it SO THAT GOD will THEN OPEN WINDOWS OF HEAVEN AND POUR YOUR BLESSINGS. That's a conditional covenant!

After Christ said it is finished, the work was completed and the blood sealed the new covenant. We don't give because WE WANT A BENEFIT but because WE ALREADY BLESSED BY CHRIST'S COMPLETED WORK.

There's no Windows shut against believers from the time Christ said, it is finished. Every believer now HAVE ACCESS TO THE HEAVENLY FATHER.

Who said what was in malachi 3? God or malachi?

Your problem is that you believe for example"No weapon fashioned against you shall prosper...", or "the lord is my shepherd, I shall not want" you didn't argue that the priesthood is changed or the covenant is changed, or that Jesus has come or somtin...but when it got to tithing, all because money's involved, you went all priesthood and covenant (mixing everything wrongly while at it). You have a lack mentality, a consciousness of things been taken from you...that's not Christ-like bro!

1 Like

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Gombs(m): 4:32pm On Sep 08, 2013
Reyginus: Lol. I'm not sure you know what you are talking about.

Oblige me
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Goshen360(m): 4:33pm On Sep 08, 2013
Gombs: Bidam tearing some dude to shreds

@Goshen, you are just showing you have little knowledge of the bible.

The NT is found on the promise God made Abraham, if you now saying God made a new one, question is with who did he make the new one?

Bottom line, dnt mistake Moses's Law for the covenant God made with Abraham. in a nut shell, the NT is a continuation of the old testament.

Stop mincing scriptures to suit you.
grin

I have shown you where it says the new is NOT LIKE the old. All you need do is show from scripture that it's a CONTINUATION. Also remember, Matthew to John is NOT the new testament\covenant.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by dfav: 4:39pm On Sep 08, 2013
@op
It's only the monetary aspects I.e the tithe; first fruit sacrificial offerings of the old testament that the most pastors are after. Not the whole law...

Only the moneyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Goshen360(m): 4:39pm On Sep 08, 2013
Gombs:

Your problem is that you believe for example"No weapon fashioned against you shall prosper...", or "the lord is my shepherd, I shall not want" you didn't argue that the priesthood is changed or the covenant is changed, or that Jesus has come or somtin...but when it got to tithing, all because money's involved, you went all priesthood and covenant (mixing everything wrongly while at it). You have a lack mentality, a consciousness of things been taken from you...that's not Christ-like bro!

I don't understand what u driving at. My point is simply and clear. Christians have a new covenant and it's NOT the same as the old of which Malachi is part of the old. You live in a new country but trying to obey or follow the terms, conditions and laws of your birth country. Does that make any sense?
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 4:52pm On Sep 08, 2013
Gombs:

God said it and its the same God that said what was in Mal 4:4
Mal 4:4
'Remember ye the law of Moses my servant, which i commanded him in Horeb for all Isreal, with the statutes and judgements'

To get all what God commanded him, go to Deut chapter 5 to chapter 26

Also i know you'll quote Matt 23:23 to tell me Jesus asked you to tithe but pls can you go back some verses and let us start at verse 1 of that chapter

Matt 23:1-3
'The spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,2.Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses seat:3.All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.'

Let me interpret for you, If you believe you're the person referred to in Mal 3, you must also agree Mal 4:4 is for you and there it said to KEEP THE LAWS OF MOSES. If you say Matt 23:23 binds you to tithe, then Matt 23:1-3 BINDS you to OBEY ALL WHATSOEVER the Scribes and Pharisees tell you to and there are 613 of such laws.

So what do you think? Dont you think its inconsistent to only pick tithe out of all?

As for the lack mentality, dont you think this line is childish and getting out of fashion? I'm sure you dont expect people to bring their account balances to Nairaland just to prove to you that they are very successful even without paying the 10% royalty?

2 Likes

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Gombs(m): 4:57pm On Sep 08, 2013
Goshen360:

I have shown you where it says the new is NOT LIKE the old. All you need do is show from scripture that it's a CONTINUATION. Also remember, Matthew to John is NOT the new testament\covenant.

Sir, God made a covenant with Abraham and also with Moses, which are you actually refering to?

If twas Moses' covenant, we no longer under them
Why?

What comparison does God make between the two
covenants ie the one he made with moses n the new one which Jesus brought?

"But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second." Hebrews 8:6-7.

But if its abraham's, the covenant was faultless and that covenant birthed the NT

In summary, God's covenant with Moses was a subset of God's covenant with Abraham.

Hence, the continuation I was speaking abt was Abraham's covenant, Moses' covenant was truncated. And Tithing is not of the law of moses.

3 Likes

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Gombs(m): 5:00pm On Sep 08, 2013
Candour:

God said it and its the same God that said what was in Mal 4:4
Mal 4:4
'Remember ye the law of Moses my servant, which i commanded him in Horeb for all Isreal, with the statutes and judgements'

To get all what God commanded him, go to Deut chapter 5 to chapter 26

Also i know you'll quote Matt 23:23 to tell me Jesus asked you to tithe but pls can you go back some verses and let us start at verse 1 of that chapter

Matt 23:1-3
'The spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,2.Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses seat:3.All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.'

Let me interpret for you, If you believe you're the person referred to in Mal 3, you must also agree Mal 4:4 is for you and there it said to KEEP THE LAWS OF MOSES. If you say Matt 23:23 binds you to tithe, then Matt 23:1-3 BINDS you to OBEY ALL WHATSOEVER the Scribes and Pharisees tell you to and there are 613 of such laws.

So what do you think? Dont you think its inconsistent to only pick tithe out of all?

As for the lack mentality, dont you think this line is childish and getting out of fashion? I'm sure you dont expect people to bring their account balances to Nairaland just to prove to you that they are very successful even without paying the 10% royalty?

A quick quiz.

Is tithing before or after the law of moses?

2 Likes

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 5:06pm On Sep 08, 2013
Gombs:

A quick quiz.

Which tithing exactly are you talking about my brother?

Abraham's voluntary giving of 10% of WAR SPOILS to Melchisedek(He refused to take the remaining 90% mind you)

or the Yearly tithing which you and your family are meant to share in a feast at Jerusalem(Deut 14:22-26)

or the tri-ennial tithing which isreal gave to the levites, widows, fatherless and strangers(Deut 14:28-29) and which the levite gave 10% of to the Priests(Num 18:26-30, Neh 10:37-38)

Which Tithe are you exactly talking about my bro?

2 Likes

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Gombs(m): 5:08pm On Sep 08, 2013
Candour:

Which tithing exactly are you talking about my brother?

Abraham's voluntary giving of 10% of WAR SPOILS to Melchisedek(He refused to take the remaining 90% mind you)

or the Yearly tithing which you and your family are meant to share in a feast at Jerusalem(Deut 14:22-26)

or the tri-ennial tithing which isreal gave to the levites, widows, fatherless and strangers(Deut 14:28-29) and which the levite gave 10% of to the Priests(Num 18:26-30, Neh 10:37-38)

Which Tithe are you exactly talking about my bro?

grin
From all you quoted, which falls within the law of moses? And which falls before the law of moses?

1 Like

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 5:15pm On Sep 08, 2013
Gombs:

grin
From all you quoted, which falls within the law of moses? And which falls before the law of moses?

Abraham's VOLUNTARY tithe sure.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Goshen360(m): 5:17pm On Sep 08, 2013
Gombs:

Sir, God made a covenant with Abraham and also with Moses, which are you actually refering to?

If twas Moses' covenant, we no longer under them
Why?

What comparison does God make between the two
covenants ie the one he made with moses n the new one which Jesus brought?

"But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second." Hebrews 8:6-7.

But if its abraham's, the covenant was faultless and that covenant birthed the NT

In summary, God's covenant with Moses was a subset of God's covenant with Abraham.

Hence, the continuation I was speaking abt was Abraham's covenant, Moses' covenant was truncated. And Tithing is not of the law of moses.

There are three covenants in scripture - covenant which was BEFORE the law; the covenant of the law and the new\better covenant.

Scriptures say, the covenant which was before the law cannot be disannulled else God would be breaking his own covenant. What then is this covenant before the law? In thee (Abraham) shall all the families of the earth be blessed. Is tithe included in that covenant? Please show us from scriptures if you know one that continuous payment of tithe is part of or included in covenant with Abraham.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Goshen360(m): 5:24pm On Sep 08, 2013
Gombs:

A quick quiz.

It was first mentioned BEFORE the law with Abraham. The question is, is the tithe included by God to Abraham when making the covenant. If tithe was include in the Abrahamic covenant, kindly show us scripture, not just talking.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Gombs(m): 5:24pm On Sep 08, 2013
Candour:

Abraham's VOLUNTARY tithe sure.
Ok, abraham gave tithe...what covenant birthed the NT?

If you said twas voluntary tithe, you mean to say he arbitrarily gave to Melchizedek who was of same priesthood as Jesus?

You think its all a coincidence? Have you ever wondered why he was called father of faith? The man knew the things of God way before his saga abt sacrificing isaac. He could have given any man arbitrarily, or given 20% or 50%, why 10% and to a priest same as Jesus?

You think twas all a coincidence?

1 Like

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by deluckiest(m): 5:27pm On Sep 08, 2013
Gombs:

Hey Gombs, please take it easy on Goshen. If you know the scripture so well why don't you correct him like others have been doing with scriptures back up.

Peace!
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 5:32pm On Sep 08, 2013
Gombs:
Ok, abraham gave tithe...what covenant birthed the NT?

If you said twas voluntary tithe, you mean to say he arbitrarily gave to Melchizedek who was of same priesthood as Jesus?

You think its all a coincidence? Have you ever wondered why he was called father of faith? The man knew the things of God way before his saga abt sacrificing isaac. He could have given any man arbitrarily, or given 20% or 50%, why 10% and to a priest same as Jesus?

You think twas all a coincidence?

So why did you quote Mal 3 to support your argument or you didn't know Mal 3 was a reference to tithes instituted in the law of Moses?

1 Like

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Luga2013: 5:45pm On Sep 08, 2013
@Goshen I greatly enjoyed ur systematic argument. U ar absolutely correct. I have been carefully studying d difference d Old n New covenants n I discovered exactly what u've discovered. It's amazing n shocking d high level of ignorance on d part of christians about these truths, simply becoz we don't carefully study our Bibles. Giving is d only thing emphasized under d New covenant, which was enacted by Jesus' death n announced on d day of pentecost. Tell me from d scriptures just one Apostle of Jesus dt collected tithes or taught dt taught dt tithe should be paid. Check ur Bibles, frm d day of Pentecost in Acts to Revelation, there's no verse that say tithe should a paid. Paul collected offerings 4 d less privileged n 4 himself, bt he never collected tithes. How many preachers 2day emphasize giving 2 d less privileged as strong as they do about tithing.Pls @Goshen, continue d good work. U can send me more materials on ds topic via lugaternen@yahoo.com. U can also listen 2 Bro Zac Poonen on this topic on Youtube by typing his name n d topic or visiting his website www.cfcindia.com. As 4 those doubting n arguing against this, I always say those who have no time 2 study d Bible carefully 4 themselves n ar not humble 2 b taught by those who have d revelation d truth DESERVE 2 b DECEIVED. Stay blessed.

4 Likes

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Slowvenom(m): 5:49pm On Sep 08, 2013
Good one bro, gradualy we r knowing d 2rud

1 Like

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Gombs(m): 5:54pm On Sep 08, 2013
Goshen360:

It was first mentioned BEFORE the law with Abraham. The question is, is the tithe included by God to Abraham when making the covenant. If tithe was include in the Abrahamic covenant, kindly show us scripture, not just talking.

grin

SMH, if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's seed. Now the covenant God had with Abraham was because of his faith. ALL Abraham did pleased God, why?? Because of faith. Abraham tithed in faith, Jacob did too

Genesis 28: 20: ”And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, So that I come again to my father’s house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God: And this stone, which I haveset for a pillar, shall be God’s house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.”

Are you sayin Jacob gave voluntarily too? Who did he learn it from? Abraham tithed 430yrs b4 moses's law. Moses' law adopted it, obviously.

If you looking for scripture where God including tithe in the covenant, you won't find any, grin
Jesus is Abraham's seed, and Jesus recognized tithing. In Matthew 23:23, Jesus recognized or commended the Pharisees for tithing. Tithing was the only thing they were doing right.

grin

1 Like

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Gombs(m): 5:56pm On Sep 08, 2013
deluckiest:

Hey Gombs, please take it easy on Goshen. If you know the scripture so well why don't you correct him like others have been doing with scriptures back up.

Peace!

Noted grin
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 5:58pm On Sep 08, 2013
Hi Gombs, I await my reply
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Gombs(m): 5:59pm On Sep 08, 2013
Candour:

So why did you quote Mal 3 to support your argument or you didn't know Mal 3 was a reference to tithes instituted in the law of Moses?

Did I quote Mal 3? Even if I did, was it God speaking in malachi 3 or Moses or the law of Moses?

Who was speaking in malachi 3?

Might I add, tithe was not started by Moses' law

1 Like

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by defemz(m): 6:05pm On Sep 08, 2013
What many proponent of tithing fail to realize is that Jesus Christ lived in the old testament time when the new covenant had not taken effect. This is because he needed to shed his blood and resurrect before the new covenant could take effect. That is what he told peter saying

"And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. "
please note here the church of Jesus was not built or established until his death and resurection. That was why he was speaking to pharisees that they may pay tithes because the new testament had not yet come into effect. Please everybody should note that the new covenant only came into effect after the crufixion and resurection of Jesus Christ. You will note that after Christ death and resurection was when his church was established. That was when the mode of giving changed. New testament Christians are to give willingly and not out of compulsion but cheerfully for God love a cheerful giver.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 6:08pm On Sep 08, 2013
Gombs:

Did I quote Mal 3? Even if I did, was it God speaking in malachi 3 or Moses or the law of Moses?

Who was speaking in malachi 3?

You referenced it my bro.

I also gave u an answer.

You asked me a series of questions and I answered you. Is it too much to ask you just one question?

Why did you reference Mal 3 if all you were talking about was Abraham's tithe?

Also in case you don't know, Jesus Christ also referenced Moses tithe NOT Abraham's tithe hence his reference to weightier matters of THE LAW.Our Lord was talking about MOSAIC LAW OF TITHING. Pls don't pretend about this.Go back to Matt 23:23 and read it slowly.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Gombs(m): 6:13pm On Sep 08, 2013
@defemz
Note the new covenant was an upgrade of the old..the new had berra promises...the old was full of faults and the new corrected all d flaws
and faults. The old was about obedience of Laws which was impossible to keep all of it, the new was doing the law (not Laws this time) which is simple Love one another as Jesus has loved us.

The old testament folks were called to be obedient children, NT folks are already children of obedience, because of Christ's obedience.

And abt peter, wot Jesus meant by "I will build my church on this rock..." was that Christianity would be based on what Peter said which is "thou art the Christ, son of the Living God" remember Jesus said flesh and blood has not revealed that to peter, sha dats anoda days topic.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Gombs(m): 6:15pm On Sep 08, 2013
Candour:

You referenced it my bro.

I also gave u an answer.

You asked me a series of questions and I answered you. Is it too much to ask you just one question?

Why did you reference Mal 3 if all you were talking about was Abraham's tithe?

Also in case you don't know, Jesus Christ also referenced Moses tithe NOT Abraham's tithe hence his reference to weightier matters of THE LAW.Our Lord was talking about MOSAIC LAW OF TITHING. Pls don't pretend about this.Go back to Matt 23:23 and read it slowly.

Shey you can't answer who's speaking in Mal 3? I referenced Mal 3 because. Of who was speaking...and I knw it wasn't malachi quoting the law, nor moses, nor the law of moses nor you.

1 Like

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 6:25pm On Sep 08, 2013
Gombs:

Shey you can't answer who's speaking in Mal 3? I referenced Mal 3 because. Of who was speaking...and I knw it wasn't malachi quoting the law, nor moses, nor the law of moses nor you.

My brother, I answered you in my very first post. Pls go back and check again.its post number 38.in case you can't still see it(though that will be very weird indeed), here is your answer again GOD was speaking there as he also spoke in Mal 4:4.

So can you now answer my own question?
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by defemz(m): 6:28pm On Sep 08, 2013
Tithing can best be appraised by considering its historical development within the biblical records. Once this is comprehended, everything concerning tithing can then be understood.The first striking fact concerning tithing is that the Scripture has remarkably littleto say about it prior to the Book of Leviticus written in the time of Moses. The first eleven chapters of Genesis (the first book of the Bible) cover a span of some 2,000 years. While sacrifices and several other rituals are mentioned, the subject of tithing never emerged as a topic of discussion.The initial illustration in the Bible about any tithing concerns the account of Abraham and Melchizedek in Genesis chapter 14. Following the slaughter of the kings, Abraham returned to central Palestine with his nephew named Lot, the other captives, and with a large amount of spoil that was taken from the northern kings (verses 16–17). Abrahamthen met Melchizedek and gave him a tenth of the spoil."He gave him tithes of all"(verse 20). The remainder of the captured goods was given to the king of Sodom (verses 21–24).Consider this action of Abraham. There is no agreement whatever with the law of tithing later revealed in the Book of Leviticus. Indeed, Moses required that the tithe be paid only on the increase of the land and animals (Leviticus 27:30–31). But with Abraham, he did not work to produce any of the spoil he had recovered. Spoil does not represent an increase from farms or ranches. There was no biblical teaching which showed that Abraham was required to give a tenth of the spoil to Melchizedek.Actually, much later in the time of Moses, the Israelites were informed what should be done with any spoil they might capture from their enemies such as that which Abraham captured in his day. Such spoil was not to be tithed as shown in the law of Moses. When the Israelites obtained spoil from the Midianites, Moses insisted that the priests receive 1/500thof the goods from those who had gone to war—not 1/10thas a tithe would require (Numbers31:9, 27–29). The Levites got more booty. They received 1/50thof the congregation’s half of the spoil (verse 30). Again, the law concerning "spoils" in war had nothing to do with the later ordained tithe.But let us again consider the action of Abraham. If Moses was recording in Genesis a universal law of tithing when he wrote about Abraham giving a tenth of his spoils to Melchizedek, why does he depart from that very law some 400 years later with a completely different set of figures? In truth, Abraham was notfollowing any law of tithing on spoil or on anything else. Abraham’s tenth was only in the nature of a voluntary (free will) offering of thanksgiving to God for the deliverance of his people from captivity.If more evidence of the voluntary nature of tithing is needed before the time of Moses, the account of Jacob’s tithing provides it."And Jacob vowed a vow, saying: ‘IfGodwill be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, so that I comeback to my father’s house in peace, then shall the Lord be my God ... and of all that you shall give me I will surely give the tenth unto you."• Genesis 28:20–22[emphasis mine]If tithing were an inexorable law intended for all peoples and for all periods of time as many preachers state,this procedure of Jacob is truly a paradoxical case. This is because Jacobput the word "IF" into his contract he was making with God. That "IF" made the contract to be contingent on God performing something for Jacob. Jacob’s use of the word "IF" takes his contract away from being in the category of a well known universal law. No one treats known laws in such a fashion. That would be like a person saying to God: "Ifyou bless my businessduring the first six days of the week, thenI will close it and rest on the Sabbath." One does not slight the laws of God by putting the word"IF"at the beginning of them. But it would not be wrong to think in that fashion if a voluntary thanksgiving offering were under consideration. The "IF" in the vow makesthe tenth that Jacob said he would pay to be afree willoffering and his promise was even conditional. As clear as it can be, both Abraham and Jacob were the ones who set the parameters,not God!There is further proof that tithing as a universal principle wasnot in forcebefore the time of Moses. Look at the example of Jacob’s son Joseph. While in Egypt he was inspired to interpret Pharaoh’s dreams about seven full and seven lean years for harvests. As a result of Joseph’s wisdom and because the Spirit of God was in him (Genesis 41:38–39), Pharaoh made him ruler over all the land of Egypt. For seven years they gathered in the harvests and stored the grain. When the lean years came, theEgyptians used all their money to purchase some of the grain reserves (Genesis 47:14–15). They then sold Joseph all their cattle to buy the needed grain (verse 16). Finally, they even bartered their own bodies and all their land for food (verse 18–20).This meant that Pharaoh, through the advice of the patriarch Joseph, came to possess all things found in Egypt. At thispoint notice what Joseph did,"Then Joseph said unto the people, ‘Behold, I have bought you this day and your land for Pharaoh: lo, here is seed for you, and ye shall sow the land. And it shall come to pass in the increase, that you shall give the fifth part unto Pharaoh, and four parts shall be your own, for seed of the field, and for your food, and for them of your households, and for food for your little ones.’"• Genesis 47:23–24This command was nothing like that given by Moses some 200 years later. Moses stated that a tenth of the increasehad to be set aside for the Levites. But Joseph said no such thing. He declared that two-tenths (a fifth part) was to be Pharaoh’s for his own personal use, while all the remainder went to the people. Joseph did not give any priesthood a part of the increase that some so-called universal law of tithing might require. Actually, the priests of thetime had their own lands which had not been sold to Pharaoh. These produced enough food for their own sustenance and no tithes were ever exacted from them (verses 22, 26).Joseph in his day knew nothing of any so-called universal tithing laws—simply because none existed. On the other hand, since Joseph was one who respected his father Jacob with utmost esteem, he would have known about Abraham’s tithing example and the conditional tithe of Jacob, yet in Egypt Joseph avoided using any tithe. This was not an act of disobedience because he was "a man in whom the Spirit of Godis"(Genesis 41:38). Joseph said nothing about giving a tenth of the increase to any priesthood, simply because there was no universal tithing law prior to Moses.Moses and TithingIn the time of Moses, God finally ordained a tithing system as part of the laws he gave to Israel. There were, however, several events involving the payment of monies for sacred purposes which occurred before the introduction of tithing. It is worthwhile to consider them in this historical survey about the origin of tithing.Just prior to Israel’s exodus from Egypt, God told them to spoil the Egyptians (Exodus 12:35). Spoil is the booty of war.Since God as Israel’s military commander had won the war over the Egyptians in Egypt, God told Israel to take the booty (the spoil) that now belonged to them. There is no evidence that the Israelites once they obtained thespoil gave a tenth of it to anyone. For one thing, there was at that time no authorized priesthood among the Israelites to take tithe on God’s behalf. And even if there were, the accumulationof these things was reckoned as spoil of war, not income or compensation. Moses ordained a different set of laws for spoil, as previously explained. Thus, the law of tithing was not in operation when the Israelites first left Egypt.Then, about three months later at Mount Sinai, the Old Covenant with the Ten Commandments was first given to the Israelites (Exodus chapter 20). It also embraced many other laws recorded in four chapters—unto the end of Exodus chapter 23. These were laws of the Old Covenant which Israel promised to observe (Exodus 24:3–cool. These four chapters contained nothing less than the basic constitution which was intended to govern Israel. The Bible callsthe contents of those four chapters the Book of the Covenant. Remarkably, thereis not one hint of tithing as a requirement in this basic teaching of theOld Covenant. Some might consider this an oversight on Moses’ part because there surely was a need to finance the new national existence of Israel.True enough, Moses was well aware thatthe accumulation of revenues was needed to perform the Old Covenant requirements that had been recently ordained at Mount Sinai. Tithing, however, was not the method that Moses used at this early period. He had another way of securing the necessary funds to operate the civil and religious institutions associated with the new nation of Israel. Moses simply asked for some free will offerings. When Moses petitioned Israel for money to build the Tabernacle, here is what happened:"Men and women, as many as werewillinghearted, brought bracelets, and earrings, and rings, and tablets, all jewels of gold and ... the children of Israel brought awillingoffering unto the Lord ... They brought yet unto him[Moses]free offeringsevery morning ... the stuff they had was sufficient for all the work to make it, and too much."• Exodus 35:22, 29; 36:3, 7[italics mine]The Israelites had taken much spoil from the Egyptians. When it became necessary to raise funds to build the Tabernacle, Moses asked the Israelites to givefree will offeringsfrom these and other possessions. The Old Covenant society which Moses established at Mount Sinai, whether religious or secular, was supported solely (at first) byfree will contributions.This is precisely the way the early Christians financed their activities (we will see this later). There was no law of tithing that was being applied in the building of the holy sanctuary (the Tabernacle). As a matter of fact, tithing was not understood as a necessary thing by Moses until almost a year later (Leviticus 27:30–33).In concluding this historical survey, it should be noted that for the first two thousand and five hundred years of human history (as recorded in the biblical narrative) the only two instancesof tithing were involvingfree willofferings of Abraham and Jacob. And even in the first period of the Exodus, Moses only required free will contributions from the Israelites. But true enough, a year passed in the Wilderness, then Moses saw the need for a law of tithing. Let us now look in the next chapter at the laws that Moses ordained for Israel.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Gombs(m): 6:35pm On Sep 08, 2013
^^
Wicked copy and paste
grin

We are using our brains n scriptures, you go and do copy and paste. That's plagiarism and you are cheating

grin
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Gombs(m): 6:41pm On Sep 08, 2013
Candour:

My brother, I answered you in my very first post. Pls go back and check again.its post number 38.in case you can't still see it(though that will be very weird indeed), here is your answer again GOD was speaking there as he also spoke in Mal 4:4.

So can you now answer my own question?

Na wa o, Mal 4v4 is talking abt the law of moses which I told you is truncated. We aint under it, however, answer this, is tithing before d law or after?

BTW post 38 is Goshen's post..I always knew Candour and Goshen might be same folks.

grin you didn't ask a question in post 38 neither did Goshen. But if you mean post 39 with this question

"So what do you think? Dont you think its inconsistent
to only pick tithe out of all?"

Tithe is before d law..stop being redundant in questioning. I won't answer this again o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

All Churches Should Close Before 9am Today To Enable Members Go To The Bank / Satan Ministry: How To Curse Your Enemies. / Catholics And Confession

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.