Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,063 members, 7,810,967 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:40 PM

The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant (16862 Views)

Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant / What Is The New Covenant, And What Is The Old Covenant? / What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by kunlejazz(m): 3:04pm On Sep 10, 2013
Candour:

@Ihedinobi, i know you addresed the above to debosky but i decided to chip in as i believe it's in a way related to the point you raised to me.

i want to believe when you make mention of Laws in the old testament, you're not restricting it to just the 10 commandments on tables of stone? If you are, then you'll be right to say circumcision is not there just as Tithe, laws of bodily discharge etc do not also feature. If however, you are talking about all the laws(613 of them) by which the theocracy of Isreal operated, then i'm afraid you'll be wrong to say circumcision is not included. read Joshua chapter 5 to see how it was fully incorporated.Then also remember it was the main distinguishing feature between Jews and gentiles.

When John came baptising, people were still being circumcised. Even Paul had to shave his head and circumcise timothy just to keep the judaizers quiet and this was more than 10 years after Peter's preaching on the day of pentecost when over 3000 were baptised as believers.So i'll disagree that circumcision corresponds to the baptism of today.

i'm open to more enlightenment on the issue pls
debosky:

Ah ok, so instead of eating 10% in the church, I can eat 50% instead? Wonderful. grin

Since the OT said don't eat pork, more sacrificially means don't eat cow, goat, ram or even donkey. grin

Legalistic folk are always looking for 'references' and 'lowest levels'. cheesy

Now seriously, the OT is a shadow, but only in some respects and the 'shadow' aspect of tithing is simply what Paul indicated as follows:

1 Corinthians 9:13-14 13 Don’t you know that those who serve in the temple get their food from the temple, and that those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? 14 In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

Note - no percentage, no figure, simply a principle of support. Nothing more! Mandating 10% as a compulsory minimum is a purely human requirement not from God. That is not to say those who tithe are wrong, but those who insist it is a requirement are in error.

I didn't intend to comment any further because topics like this have a very high probability of degenerating into one big mess, but I will say a little more.

First, you and I know your first 3 paragraphs were sarcasms. The NT testament clearly address that issue: God showed Peter that no animal is unclean (Acts 10:9-16)

And my brother I think you're the one being philosophical, if they married many wives in the OT, why don't we marry hundreds now, to be more sacrificial?

You know, if what you're looking for in the bible are 'contradictions/confusions', we will find many but actually, THE BIBLE HAS NONE OF THOSE if we let the holy spirit teach us! That's what I crave and all of us should.

Your last two paragraphs were great! You spoke the truth.
The concept of tithe in the NT is human doctrine. And if we are to impose the NT kind of giving (Acts 4:34-37) where we'll have to sell our possessions and share it among the saints, we'll find out we NT believers are still giving much less than we ought to! And I doubt if majority will ever be able to match up to this standard.

The monthly tithing thing is then by far a very reasonable yardstick for giving for today's church, just like any other church doctrine, not necessarily given as a direct command in scriptures.
Here's what beats

1. The concept of one man one wife is not commanded any where in scriptures, neither in the OT nor the NT(except for bishops 1 Tim 3:2)- but a doctrine adopted and accepted by the church to apply to all.

2. The concept of 'never taking alcohol' too isn't directly commanded anywhere in scriptures, but it is church doctrine and very few believers will go against it, at least in this part of the world.

3. And about women keeping their mouths shut in church (as Paul commanded the Corinthian Church)- that was a doctrine adopted by the church then to take care of the Corinthian women's high-handedness, being that they were, more often than not richer than their husbands and intend to dominate and slight their husbands in church gatherings (this is topic for another time though. God willing, we'll get to trash it).
Women in today's church now speak freely. Don't they?
That is because we accept what the Corinthian church did as reasonable doctrine.

The above and many others hold, as doctrines devised by, both the early church and today's to fulfil certain concerns...

But when the tithe is used as a yardstick for NT giving, because it concerns money we hear a lot of complnts.

Now, I challenge anyone on this thread to propose a standard of giving for the NT believer, close enough to what we have in Acts 4:34 (selling your possessions and distributing among believers) that will allow us give less than a tenth of our income!

Tithing is a doctrine. Yes! Just like many other doctrines in the NT church, which we all adhere to without reservations.

I'm getting to learn a lot from this thread. I hope we all are. God bless everyone that has being a part.
Peace!

1 Like

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Alwaystrue(f): 3:07pm On Sep 10, 2013
Enigma:
A potential consequence of this is that an action that is truly led by the Spirit may even go against "the law" or conventional understandings of "the law"!
This caught my attention. I think the scripture that said the law was given by Moses and grace and truth came by Jesus Christ makes a lot of sense here.
The law of Moses was basically on the outward code of conduct but Jesus gave the truth of it as seen in Jesus explaining the real meaning of do not kill, commit adultery and essence of Sabath and others which He explained. He further gives the grace to help us please the Father. What we need to understand therefore is the truth which is revealed more and more as we grow closer to God.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by kunlejazz(m): 3:14pm On Sep 10, 2013
stillwater:

To your words in bold, I don't know if i'm getting you right, but I just want to say that Jesus has paid the SACRIFICE on the cross. There is no need to pay another sacrifice. That is a false doctrine if your intention is to say that we are to still make sacrifices to God. I believe that's a false doctrine. Read the following verses...

As a result, Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant. The others who became priests are numerous because death prevented them from continuing to serve. In contrast, he holds the office of priest permanently because he continues to serve forever. This is why he can completely save those who are approaching God through him, because he always lives to speak with God for them. It’s appropriate for us to have this kind of high priest: holy, innocent, incorrupt, separate from sinners, and raised high above the heavens. He doesn’t need to offer sacrifices every day like the other high priests, first for their own sins and then for the sins of the people. He did this once for all when he offered himself. The Law appoints people who are prone to weakness as high priests, but the content of the solemn pledge, which came after the Law, appointed a Son who has been made perfect forever. (Hebrews 7:22-28 CEB)

Jesus has sacrificed himself once and for all!
We can come to the father freely with no charge.

Sir,
The word 'sacrificial' in my post is 100% grammatical. It doesnt refer to Christ's ultimate sacrifice. You quoted me out of context.
Thanks
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by debosky(m): 3:23pm On Sep 10, 2013
kunlejazz:
You know, if what you're looking for in the bible are 'contradictions/confusions', we will find many but actually, THE BIBLE HAS NONE OF THOSE if we let the holy spirit teach us! That's what I crave and all of us should.

Sir, I was not looking for contradictions.

Your last two paragraphs were great! You spoke the truth.
The concept of tithe in the NT is human doctrine. And if we are to impose the NT kind of giving (Acts 4:34-37) where we'll have to sell our possessions and share it among the saints, we'll find out we NT believers are still giving much less than we ought to! And I doubt if majority will ever be able to match up to this standard.

The monthly tithing thing is then by far a very reasonable yardstick for giving for today's church, just like any other church doctrine, not necessarily given as a direct command in scriptures.

Firstly, those in the NT were not 'instructed' to sell all their possessions - they did so because that is what they decided in their hearts to do, not because they were trying to 'meet' any standard.

In terms of giving as much as we 'ought to', I believe this is a personal thing between the individual and God. If God is leading you to give more, by all means do so, but don't enforce that on others - let them give as they are led.

I'm not a big fan of 'yardsticks' when it comes to giving, but I do hear what you are saying. Used as a guide, and clearly explained as not mandated/commanded in scripture, tithing is a valid practice. It is when tithing is taught as compulsory and 'robbing God' that issues arise.

Here's what beats

1. The concept of one man one wife is not commanded any where in scriptures, neither in the OT nor the NT(except for bishops 1 Tim 3:2)- but a doctrine adopted and accepted by the church to apply to all.

But it is stated Genesis 2:24, and repeated by Jesus in Matthew 19:5.

2. The concept of 'never taking alcohol' too isn't directly commanded anywhere in scriptures, but it is church doctrine and very few believers will go against it, at least in this part of the world.

Again, as long as it is taught in light of scripture, there is nothing wrong with this doctrine.

But when the tithe is used as a yardstick for NT given, because it concerns money we hear a lot of complnts.

No it causes complaints because of the manner in which it is taught and practiced, which in many cases, is not in line with scripture.

Now, I challenge anyone on this thread to propose a standard of giving for the NT believer, close enough to what we have in Acts 4:34 (selling your possessions and distributing among believers) that will allow us give less than a tenth of our income!

It is not for any man to propose a standard, it is for all men to give as they purpose in their heart. Don't be obsessed with creating rules just let God lead you. If God leads you to give 10%, 20% or 100%, then do so.

2 Likes

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Zikkyy(m): 3:44pm On Sep 10, 2013
debosky:
Firstly, those in the NT were not 'instructed' to sell all their possessions - they did so because that is what they decided in their hearts to do, not because they were trying to 'meet' any standard.

In terms of giving as much as we 'ought to', I believe this is a personal thing between the individual and God. If God is leading you to give more, by all means do so, but don't enforce that on others - let them give as they are led.

I'm not a big fan of 'yardsticks' when it comes to giving, but I do hear what you are saying. Used as a guide, and clearly explained as not mandated/commanded in scripture, tithing is a valid practice. It is when tithing is taught as compulsory and 'robbing God' that issues arise.

Good talk.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by kunlejazz(m): 3:45pm On Sep 10, 2013
Goshen360:

New Living Translation
When God speaks of a "new" covenant, it means he has made the first one obsolete. It is NOW out of date and will soon disappear. Hebrews 8:13

New Living Translation
He has enabled us to be ministers of his new covenant. This is a covenant not of written laws, but of the Spirit. The old written covenant ends in death; but under the new covenant, the Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

I appreciate your knowledge of letters but please where is the Rhema? The letter kills...
I think you're making so much more of the 'Word-written' than the 'Word-revealed'.
And sir, this is a sincere observation. No disrespect intended.

As Stillwater rightly said, the Old covenant has the Laws and the Promises. The Law is that that vanishes. The Promises remain! And tithing was never a law, it was a promise (Mal. 3 clearly shows this) - more like a covenant ( Now, 'covenant' as used here refers to a higher level of promise- promise with a condition and NOT the 'testament', for which the word covenant is also used).
So the covenants(promises) still hold even though the Laws, which is part of the covenant(testament) vanish.

1 Like

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Zikkyy(m): 3:54pm On Sep 10, 2013
kunlejazz:
Here's what beats

kunlejazz:

This is the problem we have with many 'christians'. standard or yardstick for giving is not meant for true christians. It's for those that are stingy and unwilling to give. focus should be on changing stubborn and unwilling heart to one willing to share. Setting standard amounts to forcing some people to give.

1 Like

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 3:58pm On Sep 10, 2013
kunlejazz:

Here's what beats

3. And about women keeping their mouths shut in church (as Paul commanded the Corinthian Church)- that was a doctrine adopted by the church then to take care of the Corinthian women's high-handedness, being that they were, more often than not richer than their husbands and intend to dominate and slight their husbands in church gatherings (this is topic for another time though. God willing, we'll get to trash it).

But when the tithe is used as a yardstick for NT given, because it concerns money we hear a lot of complnts.

Tithing is a doctrine. Yes! Just like many other doctrines in the NT church, which we all adhere to without reservations.

I'm getting to learn a lot from this thread. I hope we all are. God bless everyone that has being a part.
Peace!

The problem is who made Tithing the yardstick? and how am i sure its a yardstick that is acceptable to God when the early Christians actually gave all?

My bro, its not about the money but about placing a law on Christians. If God leads you to give 10%, 20% or 50% by all means go ahead and do so but don't tell me i commit a sin if i refuse to give 10%.It should be my prerogative and falls withing the purview of 'every man as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give'

The issue of one man one wife was so made from Genesis but even at that i still wonder why Paul had to still mention it as a criteria for leadership in Church.Could it be because there were believers in these assemblies who had more than one wife and it wasn't a sin though prevented them from taking high post in the Church? I believe a sensible man even non christians should know the bad side of polygamy so it now becomes an issue of wisdom and not necessarily sin.To be candid, i am still studying this angle and i pray for my understanding to be opened.That is why i avoid discussing it.This is just me thinking aloud.

I do not drink alcohol in any form because i actually have a bad experience to tell about it but you will not find a place where alcohol is condemned as a sin in the bible.You'll only hear that those led astray by it are not wise, just as Peter too didn't show wisdom when he was alienating the gentile Christians before Paul rebuked him.even Deut 14:22-29 tells you to use Tithe money to buy strong drink. Now the Spirit in a Christian will naturally caution a Christian on the danger of inebriation and it's effect on your behaviour and the worse problem of serious health challenges if that Christian actually submits to the leading of the Spirit.

we all are still learning and like what Enigma said in one post up there, i believe this is also an avenue the Holy Spirit uses to teach us.

God bless you

1 Like

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Nobody: 4:00pm On Sep 10, 2013
I guess no soul here is willing to respond to my questions.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Zikkyy(m): 4:05pm On Sep 10, 2013
Bidam: I guess no soul here is willing to respond to my questions.

Maybe its because your question been answered smiley
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by kunlejazz(m): 4:07pm On Sep 10, 2013
debosky:

Sir, I was not looking for contradictions.

Again, as long as it is taught in light of scripture, there is nothing wrong with this doctrine.

No it causes complaints because of the manner in which it is taught and practiced, which in many cases, is not in line with scripture.

It is not for any man to propose a standard, it is for all men to give as they purpose in their heart. Don't be obsessed with creating rules just let God lead you. If God leads you to give 10%, 20% or 100%, then do so.

Really, one fact continues to crystallize from your posts- that you're just not a fan of tithing and you're aren't willing to be un-biased about it.
There's also really not much for me to say.

Matt 19:5 was not a direct command not to have more than one wife, as I stated in my last post.
In today's church, It is treated as such. This modification is what makes it a doctrine.

Also, why is it not for any man to propose a standard for giving but he can propose standards for every other thing (e.g. order of services, leadership election procedures, courting procedures and so on)? Or do you now mean there should be no doctrines/statutes for any thing in the church?

And if no standard should be imposed, what will guide baby christians/young believers with much less knowledge of scriptures than you have to give?

Please brother/sister, try to be a little more open. Please
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Goshen360(m): 4:20pm On Sep 10, 2013
Bidam: I guess no soul here is willing to respond to my questions.

Where is the question again, please?
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Nobody: 4:23pm On Sep 10, 2013
Zikkyy:

Maybe its because your question been answered smiley
Where? could you please refer me to the answers.It's been bugging me for sometimes now.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Zikkyy(m): 4:27pm On Sep 10, 2013
kunlejazz:
And if no standard should be imposed, what will guide baby christians/young believers with much less knowledge of scriptures than you have to give?

You are talking about baby christians/young believers, some of the believers in Acts 4 were day old/week old believers and they gave their all. I repeat, you don't need standards, you need (true) Christians.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Nobody: 4:28pm On Sep 10, 2013
Goshen360:

Where is the question again, please?
Bidam: Paul said laws(Heb. 10:15-16). in contrast to Jeremiah who said law(Jer. 31:33). .If we agree the law is the nature of the Christ-life. what are the laws Paul is talking about here?
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Zikkyy(m): 4:28pm On Sep 10, 2013
Bidam: Where? could you please refer me to the answers.It's been bugging me for sometimes now.

abeg search the thread jor angry smiley
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by kunlejazz(m): 4:29pm On Sep 10, 2013
My brethren, it seems we now have this issue trashed to some reasonable extent.

Everyone now seem to be on the same page, which is not wanting to accept 'yardsticks' for giving (it's still amazing why 'yardsticks' are never a problem except when it comes to giving)

Well, there is no way order can be achieved without 'Yardsticks'/standards and the bible commands that there be order in the church.1 cor 14:40.

For very matured Christians, who think tithe should not be imposed, look at it this way. If you give 50% because you have good understanding of scripture, how much will you advise your son/daughter in the Lord, a new convert with much less scriptural depth to give? Same? Less? More? Or how much exactly?

Do you see the essence of standards?
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by kunlejazz(m): 4:33pm On Sep 10, 2013
Zikkyy:

You are talking about baby christians/young believers, some of the believers in Acts 4 were day old/week old believers and they gave their all. I repeat, you don't need standards, you need (true) Christians.

Thank God you said 'some'.
Many of them had been with Christ. Remember the 70, then the 120 and their families. So many of them were matured Christians too. And the bible never said they all gave. Only some did and their names were even mentioned. They were probably the more matured ones.
Of course i don't agree with forcing people to give. Or threatening them with curses etc. I can't be a member of any church that does that. Yet, giving must be taught and taught well.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 4:35pm On Sep 10, 2013
kunlejazz:

Really, one fact continues to crystallize from your posts- that you're just not a fan of tithing and you're aren't willing to be un-biased about it.
There's also really not much for me to say.

Matt 19:5 was not a direct command not to have more than one wife, as I stated in my last post.
In today's church, It is a treated as such. This modification is what makes it a doctrine.

Also, why is it not for any man to propose a standard for giving but he can propose standards for every other thing (e.g. order of services, leadership election procedures, courting procedures and so on)? Or do you now mean there should be no doctrines/statutes for any thing in the church?

Please brother/sister, try to be a little more open. Please

@the bolded is where man worship starts. See what Paul says

2Cor 1:24
'Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: f[b]or by faith ye stand[/b]'

Even the great apostle knew he had no power over the lives of believers.He acknowledged that we stand by faith. Check his letters, you'll find plenty 'i beseech', 'i admonish', i exhort' which are all synonymous with pleading.there are very few places where he tried to stamp authority.

DLBC does not use gown for wedding and the bride should not receive anything from the groom during courtship(my younger sister's engagement was almost broken off by this in 2003).LFC and Christ Embassy allow gowns and buying of gifts for each other during courtship so which one is the standard approved by God?

Religious monsters are created when Children of God have to get directions on how to leave their lives from one 'infallible' MOG and that is a negation of grace my bro.

1 Like

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Zikkyy(m): 4:51pm On Sep 10, 2013
kunlejazz:
So many of them were matured Christians too. And the bible never said they all gave. Only some did and their names were even mentioned. They were probably the more matured ones

Read Acts 2 below:

Acts 2:41 (NIV)
41 Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.

Acts 2:42-47 (NIV)
42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43 Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. 44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes
and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

Notice the blue highlight (v.46), "ate together with glad and sincere hearts". Every they did was from the heart.

Reading verse 44-45, i don't see any name mentioned o! verse 47 says day old believers were involved as well. They did not have the NT yet they performed so beautifully. You can see you don't need standard.

kunlejazz:
Of course i don't agree with forcing people to give. Or threatening them with curses etc. I can't be a member of any church that does that. Yet, giving must be taught and taught well.

The day old believers in Acts 2 were not taught giving and yet they were performers. They make the modern day pastors/teachers (of giving) look like the devil himself. imagine the pastors that refuses to share, instead continues to acquire luxurious items (e.g. PJs). just enjoying alone ehn? grin
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by kunlejazz(m): 4:53pm On Sep 10, 2013
Candour:

@the bolded is where man worship starts. See what Paul says

2Cor 1:24
'Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: f[b]or by faith ye stand[/b]'

Even the great apostle knew he had no power over the lives of believers.He acknowledged that we stand by faith. Check his letters, you'll find plenty 'i beseech', 'i admonish', i exhort' which are all synonymous with pleading.there are very few places where he tried to stamp authority.

DLBC does not use gown for wedding and the bride should not receive anything from the groom during courtship(my younger sister's engagement was almost broken off by this in 2003).LFC and Christ Embassy allow gowns and buying of gifts for each other during courtship so which one is the standard approved by God?

Religious monsters are created when Children of God have to get directions on how to leave their lives from one 'infallible' MOG and that is a negation of grace my bro.

Sir, as much as you don't want anyone to control your life...no one does really; there still has to be procedure! Standards!
God speaks through his prophets, and they are to be obeyed. You know the funny thing, even if they seem wrong in our eyes, it isn't your prerogative to judge them. They're humans afterall.
They are called 'Men' of God, not 'God' of Men; they are first and foremost MAN!

Remember when Moses disobeyed God by marrying the Ethiopian (black) woman. He sinned, but God punished those that condemned him (Aaron and Miriam). He has God and his own spiritual heads (if he/she has mentors) to answer to. Not us!
I've said enough for one day

Peace
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by kunlejazz(m): 5:00pm On Sep 10, 2013
Zikkyy:

Read Acts 2 below:

Acts 2:41 (NIV)
41 Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.

Acts 2:42-47 (NIV)
42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43 Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. 44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes
and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

Notice the blue highlight (v.46), "ate together with glad and sincere hearts". Every they did was from the heart.

Reading verse 44-45, i don't see any name mentioned o! verse 47 says day old believers were involved as well. They did not have the NT yet they performed so beautifully. You can see you don't need standard.

*smiles* thot I was done for the day
Joses and Ananias
Acts 4:34-36; 5:1-
And it also says 'as many as had...' in chap 4 vs 34

Who says they weren't taught? The bible didn't say that. They could have and even if they weren't, seeing others give was enough- that is leading by example.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Nobody: 5:04pm On Sep 10, 2013
debosky:

You're close - what I meant is that they are not prescriptive in the same manner as the OT rules were. Like in the to eat or not to eat conundrum, what you get is not a specific law saying eat/don't eat (as they had in the OT), what you get is value your brother above all, and act with that goal in mind.
I see. That makes perfect sense to me.

We could have along conversation about this particular subject, but what I'll say is this: God did not change his mind, but he has changed his approach. We were previously not children of God but now we can boldly approach the throne of Grace - the change is unmistakable.
Oh I don't know. Perhaps that could be said but then the question "from what approach to what approach did He change?" would arise. Then again, even in our sin, we have always been God's children. We were rebellious children, dead children, lost children, but still children.

God had one end-goal in mind - that is Jesus - and the Old Covenant played its role for that period. It was only a shadow, so even at its best, can only give an image. Now we have Christ so we look to him. Even in studying the Old, we do that in Him.
D'you remember when Jesus said that the Scriptures spoke of Him? It was Him in the Old Covenant.

I also agree - study is valid, but must be done in the light of the New Covenant to understand the purpose/intent/True Law behind the Old. Failure to do so will mean leaving the substance and clinging to the shadow.
The Old and the New are one, my brother.

We'll agree to disagree - circumcision was a law as it was mandated in Leviticus, but not a 'True Law' or principle as we've said above.
Some other time, bro.

[quote<I agree. Jesus fulfilled the will of the Father and portrayed his very nature throughout his time on earth, but many who observed his actions felt his behaviour (eating with sinners, breaking the sabbath, etc.) contravened what God wanted. It is this perception we must be wary of when we to 'determine' if someone's behaviour matches God's nature.[/quote]
And like He said to such people, they don't know the Scriptures. The Scriptures never called what Jesus did breaking the Sabbath, they did.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Zikkyy(m): 5:20pm On Sep 10, 2013
kunlejazz:

*smiles* thot I was done for the day
Joses and Ananias
Acts 4:34-36; 5:1-
And it also says 'as many as had...' in chap 4 vs 34

So you saying the giving was done by Joseph (the levite) and Ananias. So all the sharing and feeding were proceeds from disposal of Joseph and Ananias property. Na wa for you o!

Acts 4:32-34 (NIV)
32 All the believers were one in heart and mind.
No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had. 33 With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all 34 that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales

kunlejazz:
Who says they weren't taught? The bible didn't say that. They could have and even if they weren't, seeing others give was enough- that is leading by example.

Well if they were performing less than a day after they believed, i wonder if they had time to receive teachings on giving. at the time, the focus of the apostles was preaching the resurrected Christ than teachings on Christian practices. Pastors today runs out of saliva teaching giving and yet no result grin Instead you are looking for ways to enforce standard.

kunlejazz:
and even if they weren't, seeing others give was enough- that is leading by example.

Thought you said the giving was the one time transactions done by Joseph and Ananias

1 Like

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Nobody: 5:58pm On Sep 10, 2013
In summary...

Tithing in NOT money. Even if you can't carry your goods to the place The Lord gives to you, convert it to money and use it to buy whatever your heart desires and feast in his temple. Deuteronomy 14:22-29

The Levites, the poor too were specifically given the tithes every 3 years, because they ( levites) do NOT have landed properties or inheritance. Again Deut 14:22-29, Numbers 18:23-24. Pastors have properties, they are not under any law not to have inheritance.

The Levites are a tribe of Israel. Not all Levites are priests.

According to the Melchizedek order, Jesus is now our high priest, not the Levites. Hebrews 6:20, Hebrews 7.

How can you give to Jesus your new high priest? Matthew 25:31-46 whatever you do to the LEAST among you, you have done to Jesus. We respect the most rich, the most revered, the most senior, the most superior, a lot of us will go to hell for real with the way we do church.

The Apostles and new converts shared all their possessions. Acts 2:32-34 there was no needy among them. This is a very revealing verse. Do churches share all the proceeds with their congregation? shocked

1 Like

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 6:28pm On Sep 10, 2013
kunlejazz:

Sir, as much as you don't want anyone to control your life...no one does really; there still has to be procedure! Standards!
God speaks through his prophets, and they are to be obeyed. You know the funny thing, even if they seem wrong in our eyes, it isn't your prerogative to judge them. They're humans afterall.
They are called 'Men' of God, not 'God' of Men; they are first and foremost MAN!

Remember when Moses disobeyed God by marrying the Ethiopian (black) woman. He sinned, but God punished those that condemned him (Aaron and Miriam). He has God and his own spiritual heads (if he/she has mentors) to answer to. Not us!
I've said enough for one day

Peace

My bro, pls I hope you don't live your Christian life through one MOG whose teachings can't be scrutinised? shocked shocked

Have u heard of Rev Jim Jones? What about Movement for restoration of ten commandments? Rev King? David Koresh? Pls Google them up and you'll see the result of following 'anointed' prophet without checking his teachings.

Stop comparing Moses time to now cos we are under a better covenant. Jesus death tore open the holiest if holies my bro.I don't need any man's help to approach God.

The Berean Christians were called 'more noble' because they cross checked Paul's message.I strongly believe they would have disagreed with him if they found him inconsistent.

God guides me and he can do that even through you or any other medium he dims fit.

God bless you

1 Like

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Image123(m): 7:36pm On Sep 10, 2013
As if i knew that this 'revelation' was going to acrtually boil down to thou shall not tithe. New revelation indeed, i'm not interested in so called revelations that wake the likes of zukky from their hibernations.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by christemmbassey(m): 8:40pm On Sep 10, 2013
Zikkyy:

don't usually talk about myself, but let me share an experience.

There was this day (a very long time ago) i found myself intervening in a fight between a friend and a third party. The other guy was chasing my friend with a piece of wood with the intention of 'planking' my friend (Rivers SHA style grin ). I got in the way in an attempt to stop the other guy from committing murder, i got 'planked' instead (cracked a bone). The wood fell in the process and i picked it up. The other guy decided it was time to retreat unfortunately it was at a corner, with no-where to run. I was in pain and contemplating the next line of action. Would hitting back ease my pain? Looking at the guy's face (he already surrendered himself for some 'planking' grin), i decided it was not the best thing to do (i know some posters will dis-agree wink ), but i found myself advising him instead. Now did i consider any listing/law in making that decision? No i did not. It all comes down to who i am (my nature), and it just wasn't me to hit back in such a situation.
I like this
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by christemmbassey(m): 8:40pm On Sep 10, 2013
Zikkyy:

don't usually talk about myself, but let me share an experience.

There was this day (a very long time ago) i found myself intervening in a fight between a friend and a third party. The other guy was chasing my friend with a piece of wood with the intention of 'planking' my friend (Rivers SHA style grin ). I got in the way in an attempt to stop the other guy from committing murder, i got 'planked' instead (cracked a bone). The wood fell in the process and i picked it up. The other guy decided it was time to retreat unfortunately it was at a corner, with no-where to run. I was in pain and contemplating the next line of action. Would hitting back ease my pain? Looking at the guy's face (he already surrendered himself for some 'planking' grin), i decided it was not the best thing to do (i know some posters will dis-agree wink ), but i found myself advising him instead. Now did i consider any listing/law in making that decision? No i did not. It all comes down to who i am (my nature), and it just wasn't me to hit back in such a situation.
I d law of d spirit of life-in Christ Jesus was/is in operation. This has answered so many questions if u ask me. God bless u bro.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by haibe(m): 10:21am On Sep 11, 2013
Oh mehn, thread now derailed to the issue of tithe as usual, why is there always a problem about this giving of a thing.

Okay like i used to say, there is nothing wrong in giving 10% of your income to God, you can call it tithe or whatever but please do not let it be as an obligation to you, in order words christians aren't bound to give tithe of their income neither is there anything wrong in giving tithe of your income.

God doesn't need you 10%, he that soweth sparingly shall reap sparingly, you can decide to give 10percent, 15 percent or even 99 percent of your income, it all depends on you purpose to give and of course if the holy spirit is leading you to give a certain amount.

No christian is cursed for not giving a tithe of income, mal 3 is null to christians, it applies to the jews because tithe was the standard set for them(jews) to give, if there was no standard, no jew might have been given anything to God or the needy But as a christian who now has the Holy spirit, you don't need anyone to tell you to help the needy(whether the church or a person), the holy spirit in you would definitely tell you to do so, it doesn't have to be 10%, it could be 100%, it doesn't have to be 10%, it could be just 1%. Just give as you are led to and how you purpose to give, you earned the money and so no one can force you to give a particular amount.

If you say tithe is compulsory, what if i don't give a tithe of my income but infact give 20% of my income(that's not a tithe right?), so would i still be termed as robbing God? Of course not, so malachi 3 doesn't apply to christians who now operate in love and can go beyond giving a tithe to 20% or even 100% of their income.

So there is nothing wrong in giving a tithe, there is nothing wrong in not giving a tithe, let every man give as he purposeth in his/her heart, a tithe, 20%, a hundred%, etc, it all depends on you and how God is leading you to give.

1 Like

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by debosky(m): 12:38pm On Sep 11, 2013
Ihedinobi:
Oh I don't know. Perhaps that could be said but then the question "from what approach to what approach did He change?" would arise. Then again, even in our sin, we have always been God's children. We were rebellious children, dead children, lost children, but still children.

Interesting - like I said, we could have a lengthy discussion on this alone.

D'you remember when Jesus said that the Scriptures spoke of Him? It was Him in the Old Covenant.

The Old Covenant spoke of Him and pointed to Him. If it was Him, then surely the Old Covenant would be sufficient to save.

The Old and the New are one, my brother.

They are one in the sense that they are two steps in the journey towards the Father - one in their ultimate intent, but not in their structure/composition.

And like He said to such people, they don't know the Scriptures. The Scriptures never called what Jesus did breaking the Sabbath, they did.

That is my point, with reference to your comment on actions (apparently/viewed to be) contradicting an actor's nature. It is very easy to make the same mistake that was made then - simply comparing to a 'do's and don'ts' list is very likely to lead to error.

1 Like

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by debosky(m): 12:40pm On Sep 11, 2013
Image123: As if i knew that this 'revelation' was going to acrtually boil down to thou shall not tithe. New revelation indeed, i'm not interested in useless revelations that wake the likes of zukky from their hibernations.

Thou shalt not call thy brother's word useless. grin

You're getting more militant these days bro.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Lightning Strikes Rwandan Church And Kills 16 Members / Is Abortion Advisable? / The Power Of Praise And Worship For Infertility

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.