Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,120 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:26 AM

The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant (16863 Views)

Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant / What Is The New Covenant, And What Is The Old Covenant? / What Seem To Be The Difference Between The Old And New Covenant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by debosky(m): 12:41pm On Sep 11, 2013
@ Zikky Permit me some levity on that example of yours.

Na wa for your spirit sef. I would've planked him for two reasons:

1. The kingdom of God suffereth violence and the violent take it by force. grin

2. We will judge the world - the planking is simply executing the righteous judgement of God. grin
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Joagbaje(m): 12:57pm On Sep 11, 2013
Image123: As if i knew that this 'revelation' was going to acrtually boil down to thou shall not tithe. New revelation indeed, i'm not interested in useless revelations that wake the likes of zukky from their hibernations.

Why does every criticism land on tithe ? , why not offering? It's only a confirmation , that there's something very significant about the tithe, that's why the devils head spins 360 degrees.

3 Likes

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 1:12pm On Sep 11, 2013
Joagbaje:

Why does every criticism land on tithe ? , why not offering? It's only a confirmation , that there's something very significant about the tithe, that's why the devils head spins 360 degrees.

hmmmm....Joagbajeeeee!!! grin grin cheesy
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Image123(m): 1:49pm On Sep 11, 2013
debosky:

Thou shalt not call thy brother's word useless. grin

You're getting more militant these days bro.

hehehehehe, na you talk say he kingdom don suffer violence na, i remain gentle sir, sorry for the harsh use of the word 'useless', would find another word asap
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by christemmbassey(m): 2:23pm On Sep 11, 2013
Joagbaje:

d only thing i see in tithe is dat, it is a 'SCAMING TOOL/APP.

2 Likes

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Nobody: 2:46am On Sep 14, 2013
christemmbassey: d only thing i see in tithe is dat, it is a 'SCAMING TOOL/APP.
Even smart folks who are not even born again see it as a scam.so no be only your "christian revelation my brother". The truth is there is a misconception concerning the tithe in the body of Christ.Young christian who lacks the knowledge about the deep things of God will usually say it was cancelled in hebrews.But no where in that scripture was it cancelled.Infact it was even proved beyond doubts by Paul that the levi payed tithe in Abraham while in his loins to validate the priesthood of melchizedek who is more superior than the levetical priesthood.Abraham had an everlasting covenant with God while the mosaic covenant has become obsolete.Abraham's tithe is used to portray to us what types and shadows of the new should be.

Superficial knowledge of scriptures on the surface will tend to portray that since we can not see melchizedek we don't need tithe to anyone.
But the actual truth is that everything we do in the kingdom of God is by Faith and not by seeing. We pray by faith,we heal the sick by faith,we exercise our gifting by faith. Is it not strange that those who tithe, tithe blindly(simple obedience to instructions) while those who claim to see the abolishing of the tithe, see blindly (disobedience borne out of covetousness and pride concerning claims to know scriptures.)

Because the tithes has been misconstrued,abused,misinterpreted, misapplied and misdirected in the body of Christ doesn't make it a fake scriptural reality.There is something about God that our fathers have seen,touched and handled that we don't know until we see God on the other side of the divide.May God help us.Amen.

1 Like

Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 9:41am On Sep 14, 2013
Bidam: Even smart folks who are not even born again see it as a scam.so no be only your "christian revelation my brother". The truth is there is a misconception concerning the tithe in the body of Christ.Young christian who lacks the knowledge about the deep things of God will usually say it was cancelled in hebrews.But no where in that scripture was it cancelled.Infact it was even proved beyond doubts by Paul that the levi payed tithe in Abraham while in his loins to validate the priesthood of melchizedek who is more superior than the levetical priesthood.Abraham had an everlasting covenant with God while the mosaic covenant has become obsolete.Abraham's tithe is used to portray to us what types and shadows of the new should be.

Superficial knowledge of scriptures on the surface will tend to portray that since we can not see melchizedek we don't need tithe to anyone.
But the actual truth is that everything we do in the kingdom of God is by Faith and not by seeing. We pray by faith,we heal the sick by faith,we exercise our gifting by faith. Is it not strange that those who tithe, tithe blindly(simple obedience to instructions) while those who claim to see the abolishing of the tithe, see blindly (disobedience borne out of covetousness and pride concerning claims to know scriptures.)

Because the tithes has been misconstrued,abused,misinterpreted, misapplied and misdirected in the body of Christ doesn't make it a fake scriptural reality.There is something about God that our fathers have seen,touched and handled that we don't know until we see God on the other side of the divide.May God help us.Amen.

From your post i can deduce that we are no longer under Mosaic tithe since the Abraham's tithe to Melchisedek you referenced. TOTALLY DIFFERS from Mosaic LAW OF TITHING.

Since Melchizedek is a picture of Christ and Christ has finally come to set his High Priesthood in motion, the question then becomes how do i get these tithes to Christ? Melchizedek received Abraham's tithe by himself so how does Christ receive the tithes today? This is on the assumption that i agree with you that Heb 7 doesn't obliterate the tithe idea but rather it advocates it.

If Christ receives tithes today, wont you agree with me that it's better to do it with Matt 25:35-40 in mind with special attention to verse 40.

Matt 25:40
'Ant the king shall answer and say unto them, Verily i say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me'

Finally it's not those against tithing that are covetous and greedy but the greedy ones are those who tithe only because they've been promised returns on the investment and also those who threaten children of God with curses, failure, sickness for not remitting tithe while they know fully well that the bible says the following

Rom 8:32
'He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things'

God gave me salvation freely, why do i need to pay him to get my physical needs met? that's the question Paul asked in the verse above.

Cheers bro
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by benalvino(m): 10:01am On Sep 14, 2013
Bidam: I don change my mind sef.This night na me and you.Let me see whether you have a sound theology.

Question 1.The bolded in red debunks your statement that the new covenant pertains to us."The day is coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and Judah" Is the house of Israel and the house of judah a gentile?

First, let's examine the Scriptures to see who God chose as His own special people:

EXODUS 19:3 And Moses went up to God, and the LORD called to him from the mountain, saying, "Thus you shall say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel: 4 'You have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles' wings and brought you to Myself. 5 Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people; for all the earth is Mine. 6 And you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.' These are the words which you shall speak to the children of Israel." (NKJV)

So you can see that the house of Jacob and house of Israel God is referring to here is not even the gentiles to start with.ERROR number 1. tongue

Thus you can see from the prophecy of Jeremiah which was repeated in Hebrews plainly states that God will make the New Covenant with two specific entities: (1) The House of Israel, and (2) the House of Judah.. These are not gentiles my brother.Let us rightly divide the word of truth here.That's what i have been trying to make you see all along.

Bidam the israel is the spiritual israel and not physical israeal... if you are in christ you are an israelite... Christ paid with his blood... he was the lamb that was slain from internity... the old covenant was faulty so God divorce the marriage he had with israel and God restore the covenant through Jesus... the new covenant was given to israel.

the house of jacob = israel... jacob is another name for israel.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Image123(m): 10:20am On Sep 14, 2013
Candour:

From your post i can deduce that we are no longer under Mosaic tithe since the Abraham's tithe to Melchisedek you referenced. TOTALLY DIFFERS from Mosaic LAW OF TITHING.

Since Melchizedek is a picture of Christ and Christ has finally come to set his High Priesthood in motion, the question then becomes how do i get these tithes to Christ? Melchizedek received Abraham's tithe by himself so how does Christ receive the tithes today? This is on the assumption that i agree with you that Heb 7 doesn't obliterate the tithe idea but rather it advocates it.

If Christ receives tithes today, wont you agree with me that it's better to do it with Matt 25:35-40 in mind with special attention to verse 40.

'Ant the king shall answer and say unto them, Verily i say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me'

Finally it's not those against tithing that are covetous and greedy but the greedy ones are those who tithe only because they've been promised returns on the investment and also those who threaten children of God with curses, failure, sickness for not remitting tithe while they know fully well that the bible says the following

'He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things'

God gave me salvation freely, why do i need to pay him to get my physical needs met? that's the question Paul asked in the verse above.

Cheers bro

Errrmmmm, hw do we give our praise to God? How do we give our offerings and sacrifices to Him? How do we give our very lives to Him? Who are His brethren?
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by benalvino(m): 10:31am On Sep 14, 2013
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 10:34am On Sep 14, 2013
Image123:

Errrmmmm, hw do we give our praise to God? How do we give our offerings and sacrifices to Him? How do we give our very lives to Him? Who are His brethren?

@Image123, praises and worship are intangible things and MUST NOT be compared to Tithes and Offerings.

Abi you want to tell me you give God's praises and worship to your pastor to deliver on your behalf just like your tithe? shocked

If i give my praises, prayers and worship to God directly, why do i need my pastor to help me deliver the tithes to him?
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Image123(m): 10:53am On Sep 14, 2013
Candour:

@Image123, praises and worship are intangible things and MUST NOT be compared to Tithes and Offerings.

Abi you want to tell me you give God's praises and worship to your pastor to deliver on your behalf just like your tithe? shocked

If i give my praises, prayers and worship to God directly, why do i need my pastor to help me deliver the tithes to him?

hehehehe, bro i mentioned offerings and sacrifices and our lives too na. mentioned them all to wholly show tht we don't have to go to Heaven before we gve to God, tangible or intangible. When we give, or do anything, it is as unto God.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 10:56am On Sep 14, 2013
Image123:

hehehehe, bro i mentioned offerings and sacrifices and our lives too na. mentioned them all to wholly show tht we don't have to go to Heaven before we gve to God, tangible or intangible. When we give, or do anything, it is as unto God.

grin grin

exactly my bro.we don't need to go to heaven to give to God, so whom should i give them to? particularly the tithe mentioned in Heb 7 since it's Jesus Christ that now collects the tithe as i'm expected to believe
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Image123(m): 11:07am On Sep 14, 2013
Candour:

grin grin

exactly my bro.we don't need to go to heaven to give to God, so whom should i give them to? particularly the tithe mentioned in Heb 7 since it's Jesus Christ that now collects the tithe as i'm expected to believe

i suggest the church which is the body of Christ. Who do you suggest?
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 11:13am On Sep 14, 2013
Image123:

i suggest the church which is the body of Christ. Who do you suggest?

i agree with you. So now i ask, who is the church?

N/B: pls remember this is based on the assumption that Christians are even asked to tithe
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Image123(m): 11:19am On Sep 14, 2013
Candour:

i agree with you. So now i ask, who is the church?

N/B: pls remember this is based on the assumption that Christians are even asked to tithe

Oh okay, based n assumption, the church is the gathering or congregation of believers, crudely defined.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Nobody: 11:27am On Sep 14, 2013
Candour:

Cheers bro
How do you interpret these scriptures?

NET Bible
Therefore I exhort you, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a sacrifice--alive, holy, and pleasing to God--which is your reasonable service.rom12:1

1 Corinthians 6:20
you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

Here your body is also a tangible substance no? you are to present it not to anyone but to God.

1 Peter 2:5

New International Version (NIV)

5 you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

Here peter likened us to a holy priest who offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 11:32am On Sep 14, 2013
Image123:

Oh okay, based n assumption, the church is the gathering or congregation of believers, crudely defined.

I agree with you too though i'll clarify it DOES NOT have to be a formal registered body .A church is any group of believers So why can't i just give the tithe to a group of needy families with whom i fellowship since we agree they are the church? why can't i give it to you a brother in Christ who is in need if indeed you are the church?
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 11:37am On Sep 14, 2013
Bidam: How do you interpret these scriptures?

NET Bible
Therefore I exhort you, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a sacrifice--alive, holy, and pleasing to God--which is your reasonable service.rom12:1

1 Corinthians 6:20
you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

Here your body is also a tangible substance no? you are to present it not to anyone but to God.

1 Peter 2:5

New International Version (NIV)

5 you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

Here peter likened us to a holy priest who offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God.

we are still saying the same thing. God owns me not just the 10% of my finances so why the special interest in 10% going to the pastor? can't i decide how i give my offerings and sacrifices the same way i decide how i pray, praise and worship my God? why must i take it and drop into a basket administered by one man called a pastor?

Thank God you agree we all are priests. So why should another priest insist i come to offer my sacrifices to God at his own altar otherwise God will not accept my offerings?
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Image123(m): 11:53am On Sep 14, 2013
Candour:

I agree with you too though i'll clarify it DOES NOT have to be a formal registered body .A church is any group of believers So why can't i just give the tithe to a group of needy families with whom i fellowship since we agree they are the church? why can't i give it to you a brother in Christ who is in need if indeed you are the church?

Because the tithe is not alms.I has a different practice and purpose to serve. i have never given m tithe to my pastor BTW.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Nobody: 11:54am On Sep 14, 2013
Candour:

we are still saying the same thing. God owns me not just the 10% of my finances so why the special interest in 10% going to the pastor?
And who said the 10% is going to the pastor?
can't i decide how i give my offerings and sacrifices the same way i decide how i pray, praise and worship my God? why must i take it and drop into a basket administered by one man called a pastor?
You don't decide how you pray and praise God.It is by the help of the Holy Spirit quickening your spirit man that you are able to pray and praise God.If not your are doing it like the pharisees and that's religious rituals.Any way a local assembly is like a family.If you have this kind of mindset i wonder whether you are planted in God's vineyard to start with.God says he will give you a Shepard after his heart who will feed you in the knowledge of the truth.You don't choose your pastor.God speaks to you concerning where to find nourishment for your soul.I can't believe i am even telling you this.That's why we have spiritual bastards all over the place who claim they can hear God and don't need a father.
Thank God you agree we all are priests. So why should another priest insist i come to offer my sacrifices to God at his own altar otherwise God will not accept my offerings?
It's not another priest telling you that.It's God's word saying that.The pastor too gives his tithes.doesn't he?
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 12:28pm On Sep 14, 2013
Image123:

Because the tithe is not alms.I has a different practice and purpose to serve. i have never given m tithe to my pastor BTW.

I believe we are still talking about Abram's tithe here?

So since its not alms, what is it?
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Image123(m): 12:41pm On Sep 14, 2013
Candour:

I believe we are still talking about Abram's tithe here?

So since its not alms, what is it?

Tithe i suppose.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 12:44pm On Sep 14, 2013
Bidam: And who said the 10% is going to the pastor? You don't decide how you pray and praise God.It is by the help of the Holy Spirit quickening your spirit man that you are able to pray and praise God.If not your are doing it like the pharisees and that's religious rituals.Any way a local assembly is like a family.If you have this kind of mindset i wonder whether you are planted in God's vineyard to start with.God says he will give you a Shepard after his heart who will feed you in the knowledge of the truth.You don't choose your pastor.God speaks to you concerning where to find nourishment for your soul.I can't believe i am even telling you this.That's why we have spiritual bastards all over the place who claim they can hear God and don't need a father.
It's not another priest telling you that.It's God's word saying that.The pastor too gives his tithes.doesn't he?

@Bidam, I always implore you on your choice of words when we talk. Who if I may ask is the spiritual bastard? My friend, you don't have to get emotional when we discuss. Kindly note your choice of words when you and I converse. I'm an adult and I trust you're one too.

Since the spirit quickened your mind to give 10% to whoever, go ahead and do so. The spirit didn't tell me to do so.everyman to his own. If you believe you're a spiritual bastard if you don't submit yourself to a man, pls go ahead.My own physical and spiritual destiny is tied to no man.God almighty is in charge of my life and he alone has the power over it.

I fellowship with a church that DOESN'T collect tithes and we do just fine. I fellowship with a pastor who tells me God is not a grand father as we are all equally Gods children and I agree because my bible tells me so.

When I accuse you of contradicting yourself, you cry murder. In one breath you say we're all priests, almost immediately, you say you need a higher man to submit to.pls make up your mind.

I told you once discussion with you is laborious and you just confirmed it.pls see how image123 drops his points.pls learn from him,it will help you.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 12:50pm On Sep 14, 2013
Image123:

Tithe i suppose.

I only wanted to be sure its Abran's tithe before the law and not Mosaic law tithe

I ask, since it's not alms, what is it?
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Nobody: 1:50pm On Sep 14, 2013
[quote author=Candour]

@Bidam, I always implore you on your choice of words when we talk. Who if I may ask is the spiritual bastard? My friend, you don't have to get emotional when we discuss. Kindly note your choice of words when you and I converse. I'm an adult and I trust you're one too.
This is not about getting emotional,i am just stating a reality.If you feel that statement is directed to you,then i am sorry.
Since the spirit quickened your mind to give 10% to whoever, go ahead and do so. The spirit didn't tell me to do so.everyman to his own. If you believe you're a spiritual bastard if you don't submit yourself to a man, pls go ahead.My own physical and spiritual destiny is tied to no man.God almighty is in charge of my life and he alone has the power over it.
This is an error on your part.I am submitting to God not to any man.You are the guy who is even getting emotionally excited in this particular instance.I pointed out to you the curse on the church world which is immaturity due to a loss of excellence and what do i get in return?

I fellowship with a church that DOESN'T collect tithes and we do just fine. I fellowship with a pastor who tells me God is not a grand father as we are all equally Gods children and I agree because my bible tells me so.
And where did my post tell you that God is a grandfather? Do read 1 cor 4:15 bro...As for the tithes,you re entitled to your beliefs.No one is forcing you o.

When I accuse you of contradicting yourself, you cry murder. In one breath you say we're all priests, almost immediately, you say you need a higher man to submit to.pls make up your mind.
And do remember what i said about re-reading a writers post to get his point or meat of the gist before jumping into erroneous conclusions. cheesy
I told you once discussion with you is laborious and you just confirmed it.pls see how image123 drops his points.pls learn from him,it will help you.
I and image are different individuals working towards the same goal.If you don't like the way i post feel free to stop quoting me then.
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 2:09pm On Sep 14, 2013
[quote author=Bidam][/quote]

No problems at all. Decorum is what I implore you to display and I believe that's not asking for too much. I appreciate your apology and I accept it.

You believe you submit to God and I'll say good for you then. Its your choice which you aired and I think I have the right to air mine. I've come to realise we most likely will not convince ourselves but there are a lot of confused people who come to this forum to find answers. They'll read our discussions and arrive at a decision by God's grace. They are mine priority.

I won't begrudge you your right to contradict yourself often or to use ungracious words. Go right on if it makes you sleep well at night

Cheers
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Nobody: 2:16pm On Sep 14, 2013
Candour:

No problems at all. Decorum is what I implore you to display and I believe that's not asking for too much. I appreciate your apology and I accept it.

You believe you submit to God and I'll say good for you then. Its your choice which you aired and I think I have the right to air mine. I've come to realise we most likely will not convince ourselves but there are a lot of confused people who come to this forum to find answers. They'll read our discussions and arrive at a decision by God's grace. They are mine priority.

I won't begrudge you your right to contradict yourself often or to use ungracious words. Go right on if it makes you sleep well at night

Cheers
Where did i contradict myself an use ungracious words in my post

Is it not strange i can't even comprhnd what you are telling me?
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 2:20pm On Sep 14, 2013
Bidam: Where did i contradict myself an use ungracious words in my post

Is it not strange i can't even comprhnd what you are telling me?

Its actually strange you can't comprehend it.

Pls you and I have derailed the thread enough.

Let's allow others have their say
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Nobody: 2:25pm On Sep 14, 2013
Candour:

Its actually strange you can't comprehend it.

Pls you and I have derailed the thread enough.

Let's allow others have their say
Ok sir! enjoy
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Candour(m): 2:32pm On Sep 14, 2013
Bidam: Ok sir! enjoy

Thanks a lot
Re: The Old Vs New Covenant - Revelation Of The New Covenant by Image123(m): 2:40pm On Sep 14, 2013
Candour:

I only wanted to be sure its Abran's tithe before the law and not Mosaic law tithe

I ask, since it's not alms, what is it?

hmmm my two brothers and friends, don't fight na abi you want me to start crying?

The name is just tithe, it doesn't need any qualifiers. A tithe is a tenth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Lightning Strikes Rwandan Church And Kills 16 Members / Is Abortion Advisable? / The Power Of Praise And Worship For Infertility

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.