Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,214 members, 7,957,482 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 01:27 PM

What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? - Literature (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? (129637 Views)

What Books Are You Reading At The Moment-share It With Us / Love Reading, Right? Well, Check This Site Out! / What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (61) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Aspireahead(m): 3:19pm On Mar 19, 2015
Just finished the Trial of Dedan Kimathi(the 12th time) and the last days at forcados high school(i too don see the book so i decided to read it). Anyone know anybook written by hitler?...i will like to peruse his imaginations.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by moneyallowed(m): 3:25pm On Mar 19, 2015
Aspireahead:
Just finished the Trial of Dedan Kimathi(the 12th time) and the last days at forcados high school(i too don see the book so i decided to read it). Anyone know anybook written by hitler?...i will like to peruse his imaginations.
Yeah there is an autobiography of sorts where he explains his ideology. Mein Kampf
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by SIRcumalot: 3:44pm On Mar 19, 2015
moneyallowed:

Thanks. read both and loved them! Red rising especially. Didn't like how Golden Sun ended; left me heartbroken. seems we share a similar taste in books except for Sanderson lol. Have you read Providence of Fire by Brian Staveley? that's the best book I've read this year. the 1st book in the series was ok but this one was just wow
I don't like cliffhangers but golden son is the expection I kept rereading the final Chapter for clues for how it all played out. Can't wait for the third one.
I like the 1st book but providence of Fire, not so much the three sibling especially Valyn kept making stupid decisions that took the joy out of the book from me am sure I'll read them again once the date of the next book is announced.
Now You've have to recommend a fantasy novel for me.
Have you read the Demon cycle by Peter V brett. ?
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Aspireahead(m): 4:09pm On Mar 19, 2015
moneyallowed:

Yeah there is an autobiography of sorts where he explains his ideology. Mein Kampf
is it in english
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by moneyallowed(m): 4:32pm On Mar 19, 2015
Aspireahead:

is it in english
yea it's been translated
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by moneyallowed(m): 4:38pm On Mar 19, 2015
SIRcumalot:

I don't like cliffhangers but golden son is the expection I kept rereading the final Chapter for clues for how it all played out. Can't wait for the third one.
I like the 1st book but providence of Fire, not so much the three sibling especially Valyn kept making stupid decisions that took the joy out of the book from me am sure I'll read them again once the date of the next book is announced.
True. It's the moral ambiguity I love about it.
Demon cycle....hmm. Loved the 1st, the 2nd was just there but the 3rd is the best so far. This new one though, Skull throne, I don't know what to say. Hustled a copy cos I anticipated it so much and in the end was so disappointed. Don't want to give away spoilers. Have you read it yet?

1 Like

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Aspireahead(m): 4:45pm On Mar 19, 2015
moneyallowed:

yea it's been translated
thank u
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by moneyallowed(m): 4:54pm On Mar 19, 2015
SIRcumalot:

I liked Mirror empire by Kameron Hurley, it was...different. Also City of stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett, and The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker this Harry august book I'm reading ain't half bad either

1 Like

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by moneyallowed(m): 4:55pm On Mar 19, 2015
Aspireahead:

thank u
You're welcome
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by SIRcumalot: 5:16pm On Mar 19, 2015
moneyallowed:

I liked Mirror empire by Kameron Hurley, it was...different. Also City of stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett, and The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker this Harry august book I'm reading ain't half bad either

I know enough about the Mirror empire that am absolute sure I won't be reading it I suspect that is why you describe it has different.

City of Stairs I did enjoy is it a stand alone or their more to come from that world.

I'll get around to the golem the jinni very soon.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by SIRcumalot: 5:23pm On Mar 19, 2015
moneyallowed:

True. It's the moral ambiguity I love about it.
Demon cycle....hmm. Loved the 1st, the 2nd was just there but the 3rd is the best so far. This new one though, Skull throne, I don't know what to say. Hustled a copy cos I anticipated it so much and in the end was so disappointed. Don't want to give away spoilers. Have you read it yet?
This is the first time am hearing its out am about to start reading right away.
I am kinda bummed that you were disappointed by the book,I was looking forward to skull throne and the next installment in the Gentlemen bastards and the red queen wars series.
I thought the 3rd book suffered from too much fillers hopefully it won't be the same for this one.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Bawss1(m): 5:25pm On Mar 19, 2015
Aspireahead:

is it paperback?. Thanks though

Yeah I read the paperback version but I think there's a soft copy somewhere on the interwebs, you just have to know where to look.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Nobody: 6:33am On Mar 20, 2015
kay9:
Brandon Sanderson - Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, Book 2). Halfway through.

Hey, just had to share this.. Do u like fantasy? Enjoyed the Song of Ice and Fire series? Have a soft spot for Tolkien? Or did u grow your literary milk teeth on Sword of Shannara and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time books? Well, guess what? smiley The good ol' days are back again!
The name is The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (Stormlight Archive bk 1). Seriously, this is probably the best novel of its genre i've ever read. So...now u know. Oya, find it and read and tell others the good news! cheesy
I LOVE fantasy too. I've read all the books you mentioned, plus the mistborn and steelheart series too. I'm currently reading crossroads of twilight, book 10 of the Sanderson's wheel of time series. I really like Sanderson, all his books that I've read so far have been awesome.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by An0nimus: 8:37am On Mar 20, 2015
Bawss1:
Aspireahead & AnOnimus, you guys should check out this book too:
Thanks mate. Will save.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by moneyallowed(m): 9:16am On Mar 20, 2015
SIRcumalot:

This is the first time am hearing its out am about to start reading right away.
I am kinda bummed that you were disappointed by the book,I was looking forward to skull throne and the next installment in the Gentlemen bastards and the red queen wars series.
I thought the 3rd book suffered from too much fillers hopefully it won't be the same for this one.
I blame the cliffhanger at the end of Daylight War. It left me expecting so much more. What page are you on now?
A dedicated fantasy thread will be a good idea!

1 Like

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by SIRcumalot: 3:48pm On Mar 20, 2015
moneyallowed:

I blame the cliffhanger at the end of Daylight War. It left me expecting so much more. What page are you on now?
A dedicated fantasy thread will be a good idea!
Chapter 15
Inevera is still my favourite character.
The thread will probably die a quick death others have tried fantasy just isn't very popular.

Edit:just finished the book,there wasn't enough of the Jardir and Arlen but It was very good.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by jcf(m): 4:46pm On Mar 20, 2015
Good afternoon y'all. I am a young writer and i would please love if you guys could critique my blog. The url is [url]samuelagbede.[/url]. Thank you very much. Thanks
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by moneyallowed(m): 10:32pm On Mar 21, 2015
SIRcumalot:

Chapter 15
Inevera is still my favourite character.
The thread will probably die a quick death others have tried fantasy just isn't very popular.

Edit:just finished the book,there wasn't enough of the Jardir and Arlen but It was very good.
my favourite line is "It is Inevera". Glad you liked it. I actually like the fact that there wasn't much of Arlen or Jardir, fed up with those two. Also fed up with the pacing; very little actually happened in real time. most of the book was spent in flashbacks. Then he pulls a GRRM move on us and for what? Why do they have to kill off perfectly good characters for no reason?
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Meklex(m): 11:10pm On Mar 21, 2015
RockMay:
Reading INFERNO by Dan brown,,just started yesterday.
you will surely enjoy it
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Nobody: 12:07am On Mar 22, 2015
Go read Bartimaeus trilogy, furies of Calderon, the throne of glass, king killer chronicle, shadow campaigns, the iron druid, the grim company, the powder mage trilogy, a tale of the kin, harry Dresden, the broken empire trilogy, the red Queen's war, the vampire chronicles, Jane yellow rock, the lightbringer series, Kate Daniels, shattered sea, inkheart, house of night, blue bloods, amber 1-5, sword of truth etc
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Nobody: 12:08am On Mar 22, 2015
moneyallowed:

my favourite line is "It is Inevera". Glad you liked it. I actually like the fact that there wasn't much of Arlen or Jardir, fed up with those two. Also fed up with the pacing; very little actually happened in real time. most of the book was spent in flashbacks. Then he pulls a GRRM move on us and for what? Why do they have to kill off perfectly good characters for no reason?

My fav character is renna tanner grin

1 Like

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Nobody: 12:19am On Mar 22, 2015
Try mobilism to get epub format for ur books... U can also request any book u want and someone can upload it for u
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by kay9(m): 12:26pm On Mar 22, 2015
SIRcumalot:

Fantasy is my favourite genre and have read all the aforementioned book.
I haven't started the stormlight series because Its going to be 10 books long.
Concerning whether its the greatest in this genre, try The king Killer Chronicles by Patrick rothfuss and see how fast you rethink that opinion.

kay9:

KingKiller Chronicles... mmm, ok l'll look it up. Finished Words of Radiance late Saturday.

This is a review of sorts...

So i kept to my word and have just finished The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller chronicles 1). Really good book, worth a solid 4.5/5... but not as a fantasy novel. You see, that was my mistake - I attacked the book thinking I was reading a fantasy novel (mostly SirCumalot's fault sha). Half-way through, I started feeling a little let-down. That was when I realized what I was reading: at its bare essence the book is actually an anthology of stories - some of them beautiful fantasy, some "mathemagic", and towards the end mostly romantic thrillers with a good bit of detective cycling-round-the-mill thrown in (truth be told, this was the part that threw me off) - all centered on one character and cleverly disguised as an autobiography. So, like I said, a solid delivery, a no-questions-asked 4.5/5, BUT I know a good number of fantasy standalone novels that thrump it... Stormlight 1, for example. wink

Moving on to Book 2: The Wise Man's Fear... who knows, I may yet be proved wrong smiley

EDIT:::
I take back my 4.5 rating... 4 is good enough, perhaps even a bit generous.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by SIRcumalot: 5:01pm On Mar 22, 2015
@kay9
Have been accused of over hyping this particular series. though I still think it will be classified under the fantasy genre.
The two things that piqued my interest, before I noticed how beautiful the prose was,
is the simple questions of why our hero is waiting to die ?
And who did he kill ? So you're right about the detective part.
I have to read this stormlight archive before the end of the year.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Babe2sure(f): 5:10pm On Mar 22, 2015
Hmmm.......finally reading the much talked about- The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.
I'm on page 18.
I like the guy's choice of words in the novel and the fact that it's so well-written right from the beginning!
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by SIRcumalot: 5:16pm On Mar 22, 2015
pyrokardia
Everybody hates Renna. Inevera is the only well written woman in this book.
@Moneyallowed
I was surprised by the death of that Character,he won't be missed at least not by me.
We didn't learn enough about the Demons aside from what we already knew.
Book 5 should be awesome.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by An0nimus: 5:57pm On Mar 22, 2015
pyrokardia:
Go read Bartimaeus trilogy, furies of Calderon, the throne of glass, king killer chronicle, shadow campaigns, the iron druid, the grim company, the powder mage trilogy, a tale of the kin, harry Dresden, the broken empire trilogy, the red Queen's war, the vampire chronicles, Jane yellow rock, the lightbringer series, Kate Daniels, shattered sea, inkheart, house of night, blue bloods, amber 1-5, sword of truth etc
You've read all these?! shocked
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by decisive(m): 6:03pm On Mar 22, 2015
Interventions Vol 1 by Wole Soyinka.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by kay9(m): 1:19am On Mar 23, 2015
SIRcumalot:
@kay9
Have been accused of over hyping this particular series. though I still think it will be classified under the fantasy genre.
The two things that piqued my interest, before I noticed how beautiful the prose was,
is the simple questions of why our hero is waiting to die ?
And who did he kill ? So you're right about the detective part.
I have to read this stormlight archive before the end of the year.

kay9:

Moving on to Book 2: The Wise Man's Fear... who knows, I may yet be proved wrong smiley
Unfortunately, I was proved right! angry

I actually logged on just to vent my frustration... Bros, see eh, no offence but this series - especially this Book 2 - is a sad excuse for a fantasy novel. Excellent prose no doubt, but the amount of irritating romantic fluff it contains is way above the allowed threshold for the genre it claims. I'm almost at the middle of the book and nothing has happened yet - and please don't even mention his childish pissing contest with the Ambrose guy, those sort of stories are for high school kids. Sadly I've already started, and I always finish a book no matter how effed up it turns out. But I certainly won't be reading Book 3....
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by plat0: 6:34am On Mar 23, 2015
The art of seduction by robert greene.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by SIRcumalot: 3:52pm On Mar 23, 2015
kay9:

Unfortunately, I was proved right! angry

I actually logged on just to vent my frustration... Bros, see eh, no offence but this series - especially this Book 2 - is a sad excuse for a fantasy novel. Excellent prose no doubt, but the amount of irritating romantic fluff it contains is way above the allowed threshold for the genre it claims. I'm almost at the middle of the book and nothing has happened yet - and please don't even mention his childish pissing contest with the Ambrose guy, those sort of stories are for high school kids. Sadly I've already started, and I always finish a book no matter how effed up it turns out. But I certainly won't be reading Book 3....
I suggested the book because,
Its a widely acclaimed series, and one of the most popular fantasy novel in recent time. Since you're a fan of the genre I thought it best to mentioned KKC.
We can't all like the same thing different things appeal to different people.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by kay9(m): 8:04pm On Mar 23, 2015
^^^
Yeah... guess you have a point there; everyone can't like the same thing. I'm still ploughing through the remainder on the book sha - can't get any worse than it is already.

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (61) (Reply)

<<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> / The Enemy Within - A Tale Of Love, Lust And Betrayal / Authors On Okadabooks Drop Your Book Info Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.