Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,472 members, 7,812,453 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:38 PM

Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? (27806 Views)

University Of Ibadan Ranked Among World’s Top 800 Universities / Oyedepo - Covenant University Will Be Among World’s Top 10 By 2022 / Top 100 Universities And Polytechnics In Nigeria- August, 2013 Ranking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by kheart(m): 6:15am On Sep 19, 2013
Uyi Iredia: 'There are only two universities in the world: Covenant university and all others.'
- Bishop David Oyedepo (edited)
copy copy
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Nten: 6:19am On Sep 19, 2013
THE UNIVERSITY OF CALABAR.
a.k.a MALABOR REPUBLIK
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Nauttyprof(m): 6:25am On Sep 19, 2013
University of first choice, the Nation's pride noni - University of Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Nobody: 6:27am On Sep 19, 2013
During my NYSC, I served alongside some dudes that graduated from UK and US Universities respectively ......

I asked them questions on the system of Education in their School and I was made to realise these ;

1 . Four Academic Sessions (Years) will earn you B.sc and M.sc respectively while Only Two Academic Session (years) will Earn you Just B.sc,alone !!!

In Nigeria,Four Academic Sessions is just B.sc, If ASUU yearly strike is held constant, else, Four years would be 6 years ........

Why is Two Years for B.sc In most advanced Nation Translate to Four years in Nigeria ? (Failure Number 1)

2. We discussed Course Modules,Orientation and Means of delivering Knowledge and I was made to Realise most of their(UK/US) courses are Research Based ............. E.g If U are Offering Accounting 101 which is principle of accounting ........ One must have a company,enterprise or supermarket where the practicablility of ACC 101 will be acquired and same goes for most courses Theory and Practicability goes hand in hand as well as Presentation of Findings

i.e You will see it firsthand how ACC 101 is being applied in companies,Businesss et all .......

When U are done with Field Research, U will present your findings using PowerPoint and Projector ...... Research Project begins from the scratch !!!

In Nigeria, don't even talk about our copy and paste Projects .....Only Few Ph.D Research are real as for B.sc/M.sc na grin .......

Examination in Nigeria has always been La Cram La Pour and heavily Theoretical based without/with little Practical Experience!!! ......

Most Nigerian Graduate do not excel in INTERVIEW because the school never prepare them for one .......

In Nigeria, School only served as Orientation camp as most of the knowledge U acquired in School have little Relevance on the Job why .... Trends in Business Change Everyday while Lecture Note of Nigerian Lecturers only change every 5-10 years

During my Early years in the University,I tried forming Efiwe by Writing outside my Lecturer's note ........ Which I will never do again most especially in Nigeria ......I never knew U must give back what U were given !!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

A Nigerian Graduate who wants to compete with Graduates of First 100 Universities in the world Must be ready to develop himself outside the School by Incorporating recent trends in your discipline and understand the rudiments

The Lecturers do not even care about students psychology .........What is Carry-over,what is spill,what is splash ....... Any student that failed a course should come back and resit during the Holiday instead of loading such with unnecessary volumes in normal session ....... A poor student failed a course instead of helping him/her out for society sake by resit while others are ahome, he/she will be loaded with more avenue to fail !!!

I don't think I should discuss Infastructure and other Educational Amenities ..... That one go make me to be a Learner ....... Make I no come downgrade the already downgraded grin

Nigerian Universities are still quite far from ist 1000 in the world and not 100

UNIVERSITY OF ILORIN,PROBITAS DOCTRINA,BETTER BY FAR HAS ALWAYS BEEN ADVANCING IN THE VALUE CHAIN watch-out !!! grin

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by drdams: 6:33am On Sep 19, 2013
Not in dis century!!
U:S:A alone has over 2500 universities with d larger percentage with d required modern infrastructure and edifice, then u talk about other developed countries..

Naija is a 3rd world country.
High point : No Nigerian University deserves to be...
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by ektbear: 6:38am On Sep 19, 2013
interesting.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by RedCard1(m): 6:39am On Sep 19, 2013
Davo93: None oo... I rep GREAT Ife but the truth a lot of people don't know is that, OAU claims the best university in Naija but Students' welfare is the last of the school management's concern. So we don't even deserve the top spots in Africa let alone World #NoPrejudice
not even in Africa? Na wa o. U wicked sha! Most of the ones they listed are just being overhype.d Bad government won't let us have a spot though.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by tjfulloption(m): 6:39am On Sep 19, 2013
[b][/b] USMAN DANFODIO UNIVERSITY, SOKOTO.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Nobody: 6:39am On Sep 19, 2013
abia state university
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by odunjoy1(m): 6:42am On Sep 19, 2013
For now no university in Nigeria can be on that list. Am a ladokite(LAUTECH) but if at all one has to be there it will be Unilorin because of their latest research development, high use of information technology and also stable academic calendar
#PROUDLYLADOKITE

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Lucasbalo(m): 6:43am On Sep 19, 2013
Sylvalord1: Placing a nigerian university among the top 100 universities in d world can't happen in this generation

REASONS
1)no African university is among d top 100 in d world

2)no Nigerian university is among d top 6000 in d world

3)Nigerian universities are rated low in Africa

4)no Nigerian university deserves to be among d top 500 in d world(I mean currently). Ditto. You are 100% correct. No Nigerian university will be in the top 10, 000 in the world. That's the honest truth. Education in Nigeria is a mess . That's why a lot of Nigerians are going to universities in Ghana.

so we still av a long way to go

#dazall
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by BankuTilapia: 6:47am On Sep 19, 2013
University of Ghana > all nigerian universities. Most universities in Nigeria are just massive warehouses grin
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by folhenrry4flizzy(m): 6:56am On Sep 19, 2013
You dnt even say among the top 5000, u re saying 100....corruption has killed our education sector in dis country [i][/i]
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Sike(m): 7:00am On Sep 19, 2013
Look here! If U really want Una University to feel among, tell ASUU to behave normal.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Nobody: 7:01am On Sep 19, 2013
Greatest Unilorin. Op u sef suppose know na. Abi u no dey read current news? Probitas doctrina... Beta by faaaar. Catch us if u can!
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by lanightdavido(m): 7:06am On Sep 19, 2013
Uyi Iredia: 'There are only two universities in the world: Covenant university and all others.'
- Bishop David Oyedepo (edited)
u b werey
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by RedCard1(m): 7:10am On Sep 19, 2013
booqee: abia state university
lolz
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by pendusky(m): 7:10am On Sep 19, 2013
Sylvalord1: Placing a nigerian university among the top 100 universities in d world can't happen in this generation

REASONS
1)no African university is among d top 100 in d world

2)no Nigerian university is among d top 6000 in d world

3)Nigerian universities are rated low in Africa

4)no Nigerian university deserves to be among d top 500 in d world(I mean currently)

so we still av a long way to go

#dazall

LOL!!! THIS IS SERIOUS!!
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by lamekiss: 7:11am On Sep 19, 2013
Top 20 universities
1. Massachusetts Institute of
Technology (MIT)
2. Harvard University
3. University of Cambridge
4. University College London (UCL)
5. Imperial College.
6. University of Oxford
7. Stanford University
8. Yale University
9. University of Chicago
10=. California Institute of
Technology (Caltech)
10=. Princeton University
12. Eth Zurich (Swiss Federal
Institute of Technology)
13. University of Pennsylvania
14. Columbia University
15. Cornell University
16. Johns Hopkins University
17=. University of Edinburgh
17=. University of Toronto
19=. Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale
de Lausanne
19=. King's College London
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by ignis: 7:13am On Sep 19, 2013
None for now.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by RedCard1(m): 7:13am On Sep 19, 2013
kavey10: Dumb topic on frontpage. This 'suggest a topic for frontpage' ish in the Education Section is not an opportunity to paste every dumb topic on the frontpage jor!

#FilterDemMore
not a bumb topic @all. It was created so as to discuss how good and bad Nigerian universities are
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Deiok(m): 7:19am On Sep 19, 2013
I am crying for my Nigeria. what is the way forward?, the leaders have no clue.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by afdynamic(m): 7:20am On Sep 19, 2013
Nigerian Premier University...... University of Ibadan ofcourse naa........

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Wakabook01(m): 7:21am On Sep 19, 2013
Why are some folks talking like strangers? We are talking about TOP 100 varsities in the WORLD and some are mentioning this and that...... Candidly, you and I should know that most, if not all, Nigerian varsities are glorified secondary schools. Nigerian universities should all be revamped in three areas 1. Infrastructures 2. Manpower and 3. Curriculum content and instructional planning. Then you have the years of experience needed to qualify. Before our varsities make it there it will possibly equally take 100 years to be among the first 100 varsities in the world.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by morenath(m): 7:22am On Sep 19, 2013
FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE ABEOKUTA......................................
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by imperiouxx(m): 7:22am On Sep 19, 2013
If the whole Nigerian universities are integrated as one, it will be my 10,000th among world universities. Why..... Strike is one of their major curriculum.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by chucky234(m): 7:23am On Sep 19, 2013
playcharles: University of unilag...Noooo, Mushood Abiola University! Click like if u think MAULAG is the best
Seriously University of unilag?
Hmmm more reason why no Nigerian University will make it to the list of 200 let alone 100.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Littlehooper: 7:24am On Sep 19, 2013
Davo93: None oo... I rep GREAT Ife but the truth a lot of people don't know is that, OAU claims the best university in Naija but Students' welfare is the last of the school management's concern. So we don't even deserve the top spots in Africa let alone World #NoPrejudice

U ARE NOT RIGHT MY GUY, OAU DOESN'T CLAIM BEST UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA... OAU OUTPUT MAKES HER TO BEST UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA.....
WHICH COURSE ARE U STUDYING N WOT LEVEL ARE U IN
CHECK www.4icu.org/topafrica/ n see d list
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Abbey2sam(m): 7:29am On Sep 19, 2013
Truth be told...none deserve a spot on that list
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by gbengadada2004(m): 7:29am On Sep 19, 2013
Red_Card: Earlier this month, a list of the World's Top 100 Universities was published (anyone who can post a link to the list should do it please because I don't know how to create a link). As usual, universities in the US lead the list followed by the UK universities.

Universities in Canada, Japan, China as well as Australlian Universities all made the list. I don't think an African University had a spot on that list.....you guys should correct me if am wrong. I haven't been to the US or UK but I believe some of the Universities they listed are no longer as good as they used to be which is why Oxford didn't take take the number one spot.

Some of the schools might have been overrated. While I believe Unilag, Uniuyo, FUTO and even Unizik my dream Uni are overhyped and undersevedly glorified, I still think a Nigerian University deserves atleast a mention. Even when top African Universities are mentioned, Nigerian Universities are usually left out or placed at the bottom of the list but I don't think we are that bad.

I think it's high time they place a Nigerian Uni on the top 100 Universities list even if it would be at the bottom. I don't know what you guys think but am voting Uniben. I think they deserve an honorary mention.

Next time, we'll be talking about good and bad Nigerian school hostels.

[b]No Nigerian University will be among the top 100 in the world for several reasons. Education is money. Countries like South Africa that have many of their Universities highly rated in Africa are really investing in education. You can imagine, the South African president saying that 50% of their budget goes to education. Ghana is allocating 30% of their budget to education. Nigeria only allocated 8% to education, yet we want to be highly rated like some of these Universities. Lecturer student ratio is another basic thing they use in rating Universities. In many of our Universities in Nigeria you will see one lecturer teaching 1,000 students in some cases. That is absurd. Many of our Universities don't subscribe to the journals in different fields that will help the students in their research work. Libraries are loaded with outdated books. Poor internet facility. How can be be highly rated? Nigerians are very intelligent, they are lecturing in many of this Universities that are highly rated. However, our government have not provided a conducive environment for them to be able to come back home. [/b]

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Nobody: 7:33am On Sep 19, 2013
Its gonna be a while but in naija Uniben can rub shoulders...
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by 3nairalandcom: 7:34am On Sep 19, 2013
non

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

David Aremu Oluwafemi, Lecturer In Gay Scandal At College Of Agriculture, Ibadan / What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Western Education? / Dead Newborn Baby In University Of Maiduguri’s Female Toilet (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.