Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,444 members, 7,812,336 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:56 AM

Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? (27804 Views)

University Of Ibadan Ranked Among World’s Top 800 Universities / Oyedepo - Covenant University Will Be Among World’s Top 10 By 2022 / Top 100 Universities And Polytechnics In Nigeria- August, 2013 Ranking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by rossi49ja(m): 9:17am On Sep 19, 2013
Bossforeva: FUTO!
Greatest Futoites!!!
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Davo93(m): 9:18am On Sep 19, 2013
Littlehooper:

ALL RIGHT BRO.. GREAT IFE
I respect your understanding dude #IrepObaAwonUnifasiti
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Graham123: 9:19am On Sep 19, 2013
None deserves to be in the Top 2000. An average HIGH school science lab in Japan, Israel, Denmark etc is far more equipped than that of our best university, say OAU or UI. How many biological science base graduates in this country have seen an electron microscope never mind used one? Most of our graduates can't even write and speak passable English - a language we are being taught in. How many medical students have seen an MRI scanner? How many Nigerian-trained Economists have published a renowned and compelling theory perculiar to our socio-economic ecosystem or the world market at large?
Even the arts where we often attempt to breed icons in the past have been eerily quiet for decades. No more Soyinkas and Achebes. Our educational system is in shabbles. Some people will criticise me for being unpatriotic but I'd rather not be a blind, delusional chauvinist. Moreover, our leaders will continue their indifferent posture if we continue to suffer in the guise of patriotism instead of raising a voice and admitting the obvious.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by alisigwe(m): 9:19am On Sep 19, 2013
Caritas university amorji nike enugu,school wiv a difference!
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by robonski15(m): 9:24am On Sep 19, 2013
alisigwe: Caritas university amorji nike enugu,school wiv a difference!

Only the name alone has disqualified the school undecided

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Berrywall: 9:24am On Sep 19, 2013
unilag ofcourse,greatest akokites........great
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by gidson02(m): 9:24am On Sep 19, 2013
Samgreguc: UI, UNIBEN, OAU,UNIIBADAN, ABU, UNIJOS, UNIPORT.
story....keep living on past glory when new universities like Fulafia are doing great, no strike...everything are intact.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by seribroo56(m): 9:24am On Sep 19, 2013
i was expectin pple 2 sae it but since dey cant i just hv 2 sae it.......LAUTECH . ;Di was expectin pple 2 sae it but since dey cant i just hv 2 sae it.......LAUTECH .
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Konjour(m): 9:25am On Sep 19, 2013
Top 100 in the World? That got me laughing hard. Top 100 in Africa is more like it for a few select of Nigeria's universities.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by victorv12(m): 9:27am On Sep 19, 2013
UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN/ THE FIRST AND THE BEST.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by SUBMARINE: 9:29am On Sep 19, 2013
The solution are 1) D govt should establish modern labs/workshops in each geopolitical zone to serve all Unis within its' zone 2) At least $1billion should be spent yearly to upgrade these labs/workshops 3) NUC, private, public and FG should head the board that manages them.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by mayo47(m): 9:29am On Sep 19, 2013
Dis thread just a waste of space and time because if u know abit about university structure around the world, u'll def know we dont hv a biz in top 3000 not to talk of the top 100 u clamouring for.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by topstar80(m): 9:31am On Sep 19, 2013
GREAT FUNAAB
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Reski2500(m): 9:33am On Sep 19, 2013
Abeg u ppl shd just jowo, nigeria wont disapoint u in worlds worst universities na.... Strikes here and there....
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by SUBMARINE: 9:47am On Sep 19, 2013
4) This board will inform each other about the latest trend and support in further upgrading of these labs/workshops eg Chevron rep tells the board about d latest equipment used in the oil/gas industry, d govt purchase and install it, while NUC teach the students how to operate it.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Opeshe(m): 9:55am On Sep 19, 2013
Oau noni
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by obi123: 10:08am On Sep 19, 2013
moshino:

I'm sorry to tell you this; By the standard of Universities in North America, Europe and Asia, there is NO university in Nigeria! You will NOT understand this until you actually attend a university for just one semester in these places I referenced. But, it is also very sad and unfortunate for Nigeria I must say. Nigeria had excellent universities until the eighties, beyond that, what you call university in Nigeria will not qualify as a high school in the places I mentioned, both in content and context.

one semester is even too generous ,just attend their open day , where they give a tour and presentation on what the school has to offer and you will weep for Nigeria and her one million universities
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by dpee4real(m): 10:11am On Sep 19, 2013
[quote author=Fynestboi][/quote]

Properly funded? The professors will 'chop' the money
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by philoe: 10:16am On Sep 19, 2013
Each time this question is asked, we all tend to present the university we finished from as the best. But the truth is that these bests are not even good when compared with universities in other continents. Nigerian universities lack standard which is why countries like ghana have become a destination for people seeking better education.

We don't deserve to be among the best because we are not. In research, we are no star in the academic firmament. While researcher in Oxford are developing cutting edge technologies our researchers like Moris Iwu are developing fake cure for ebola.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Stlatyv(m): 10:16am On Sep 19, 2013
Fynestboi: abi oo but they cant be found due to their creep way of developing....
Making a 4yrs course turn out to be 5yrs nd 5 to 6 wnt make them be among the top 50 in the world....
nt in unilorin bro. We dont go on strike,4yrs is 4yrs,5yrs is 5yrs nd 6 is 6. We ar definately beta by far.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by meforyou1(m): 10:33am On Sep 19, 2013
nigeria cant even make 1st 10,000 universities in the world
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Nobody: 10:43am On Sep 19, 2013
All higher institutions in nigeria are below standard, so they can't be mentioned in anyway.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by kasillars(m): 10:57am On Sep 19, 2013
1.In a country where by we don't av up 2 date equipments and machines for learning in our laboratories. And even wen they are brought, all we hear is that the professor or doctor that ordered for it has maybe retired or moved to anoda skool, and the person brought in 2 replace him has no interest in it.
2. A country where almost all government officials sends their kids abroad for their tertiary education.
3. A country where some Nigerian professors can't even let their kid skool in Nigeria n prefers to send their kids 2 neighboring countries lyk Ghana.
4. A country where the government officials aiint taking our education sector serious
5. A country where our schools can be on strike for 2 months goin to 3 Coz of an agreement d government signed with ASUU as far back as 2009 willingly.
The list is endless abeg... Let's face d facts abeg, with our government present attitude 2 education, we are light years aways from being mention in top 500 NT to talk abt top 100.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Penboy: 11:16am On Sep 19, 2013
turawafett:
The major yard stick I think they use to rank university is the numbers of student in a department, they do not admit more than 25 people per course.
hmm. You meant 2500 students per course.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by SterlingTowers(m): 11:22am On Sep 19, 2013
Fynestboi:

http://economicconfidential.net/new/financial/facts-a-figures/780-top-100-universities-in-africa-only-5-nigerian-universities-listed

Oga I tire for you o, Why are you living behind time. the list on your link was that of 2011. OAU topped in 2012 and 2013 and was even ranked 8th in Africa. Be up to date next time now go clean some thing of mine. grin cool cool grin
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Samgreguc(m): 11:31am On Sep 19, 2013
gidson02: story....keep living on past glory when new universities like Fulafia are doing great, no strike...everything are intact.
FULAFIA of yesterday? How many graduate have they produce? How well can u trust their product. They aint on strike cos it was opened last year, thus the agreement was done in their absentia
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by sawmeon(m): 11:38am On Sep 19, 2013
My darling FUNAAB,Hit like if u support

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Smhart1(f): 11:41am On Sep 19, 2013
Most of the metioned varsities can't stand FUNAAB
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by oladayo042: 12:10pm On Sep 19, 2013
That same reason why no Nigerian university will be on that list is being conspicuously displayed on this thread; students are not taught to think critically. Many people are just mentioning their school to make them feel good.

If you'll mention your school, please tell us how it is better than a school in the top 100 and why your school should displace it.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by gforce5: 12:21pm On Sep 19, 2013
I love how delusional Nigerians are. Nigerian Universities are not even among the top ten in Africa yet you expect us to be listed in the top 100 IN THE WORLD. If the University of Cape Town which has been consistently ranked as the best in Africa is not among the top 100 why should Nigerian Universities with poor infrastructure, strikes and all be among the top 100? The top 100 Universities are ranked based on student satisfaction, research, quality of teaching and infrastructure. Go to an open day in an European, North American or say Japanese University and see their prospectus then you will know why we are light years behind in education.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Physically Challenged Maths Teacher Who Uses Crutches Shows His Football Skills / David Aremu Oluwafemi, Lecturer In Gay Scandal At College Of Agriculture, Ibadan / What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Western Education?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.