Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,501 members, 7,812,552 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:13 PM

Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? (27807 Views)

University Of Ibadan Ranked Among World’s Top 800 Universities / Oyedepo - Covenant University Will Be Among World’s Top 10 By 2022 / Top 100 Universities And Polytechnics In Nigeria- August, 2013 Ranking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by airclipse(m): 7:36am On Sep 19, 2013
WiтЂ the on going ASUU strike u pple still have the courage тσ come here n talk this poo....no nigerian university deserves тσ be on that list.....u neva consider SA Uni u dey talk NIG uni тσ make top 100.... Mission impossible no tom cruze sh**
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by nnalove(m): 7:36am On Sep 19, 2013
Seconded
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Littlehooper: 7:39am On Sep 19, 2013
BEFORE NIGERIA UNIVERSITIES COULD BE AMONG TOP UNIVERSITY IN THE WORLD

OUR ECONOMY MUST BE STABLE....
THERE SHOULD BE NO INCESSANT INDUSTRIAL ACTION
THERE SHOULD BE CONDUCTING OF RESEARCH BY NIGERIA UNIVERSITIES N D RESULT OF D RESEARCH SHOULD BE KNOWN TO THE WORLD
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Nobody: 7:41am On Sep 19, 2013
booqee: abia state university
Who are these people mentioning state Universities .... Private University self no follow !!!

Is Private Universities no meant for students with lowest UTME score and High Money for fees ?
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by danbabe: 7:42am On Sep 19, 2013
Red_Card: Earlier this month, a list of the World's Top 100 Universities was published (anyone who can post a link to the list should do it please because I don't know how to create a link). As usual, universities in the US lead the list followed by the UK universities.

Universities in Canada, Japan, China as well as Australlian Universities all made the list. I don't think an African University had a spot on that list.....you guys should correct me if am wrong. I haven't been to the US or UK but I believe some of the Universities they listed are no longer as good as they used to be which is why Oxford didn't take take the number one spot.

Some of the schools might have been overrated. While I believe Unilag, Uniuyo, FUTO and even Unizik my dream Uni are overhyped and undersevedly glorified, I still think a Nigerian University deserves atleast a mention. Even when top African Universities are mentioned, Nigerian Universities are usually left out or placed at the bottom of the list but I don't think we are that bad.

I think it's high time they place a Nigerian Uni on the top 100 Universities list even if it would be at the bottom. I don't know what you guys think but am voting Uniben. I think they deserve an honorary mention.

Next time, we'll be talking about good and bad Nigerian school hostels.

@ Red Card, even though I am an alumni of Uniben, it is what you have written in the highlighted word that will invariably always keep Nigerian Universities off such lists. I know anyone can make a mistake and no one is perfect but this seems to be the new lazy way of writing which puts me off.

Why can't we spell or write words in full anymore? It is "I am" and not "am". I like the fact that your grammar was correct up till that point though.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Littlehooper: 7:43am On Sep 19, 2013
Rexxie: Its gonna be a while but in naija Uniben can rub shoulders...

FOR UR DREAM.. UNIBEN IS UNDER DOG UNIVERSITY... CHECK OUT THE LIST OF TOP AFRICA UNIVERSITY.. WWW.4ICU.ORG/TOP AFRICA /
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by hardeywaley2012: 7:44am On Sep 19, 2013
(O A U) OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY DESERVE TO BE AMONG WORLD'S TOP 100, EVEN 50.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Nikapetrelli(f): 7:45am On Sep 19, 2013
Abegiiiiii Anambra State Uni(ANSU)
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Manchidede(m): 7:46am On Sep 19, 2013
University of Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Nobody: 7:48am On Sep 19, 2013
FUTO REMAINS THE NUMBER 1 UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by joe4truth: 7:48am On Sep 19, 2013
playcharles: University of unilag...Noooo, Mushood Abiola University! Click like if u think MAULAG is the best
I guess u're drunk.1st it's university of lagos not university of unilag.UNILAG all d way.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by dave07(m): 7:48am On Sep 19, 2013
donroxy: During my NYSC, I served alongside some dudes that graduated from UK and US Universities respectively ......

I asked them questions on the system of Education in their School and I was made to realise these ;

1 . Four Academic Sessions (Years) will earn you B.sc and M.sc respectively while Only Two Academic Session (years) will Earn you Just B.sc,alone !!!

In Nigeria,Four Academic Sessions is just B.sc, If ASUU yearly strike is held constant, else, Four years would be 6 years ........

Why is Two Years for B.sc In most advanced Nation Translate to Four years in Nigeria ? (Failure Number 1)

2. We discussed Course Modules,Orientation and Means of delivering Knowledge and I was made to Realise most of their(UK/US) courses are Research Based ............. E.g If U are Offering Accounting 101 which is principle of accounting ........ One must have a company,enterprise or supermarket where the practicablility of ACC 101 will be acquired and same goes for most courses Theory and Practicability goes hand in hand as well as Presentation of Findings
100% correct!
And like someone rightly said, if you have the opportunity of attending even the lowly ranked in the Uk or US, you will not even ask this kind of question again.
You want the real university education, pls go abroad. You want paper qualifications and theories that are outdated and not revelant to modern day society, go to a nigerian university (especially the public one, cant say much about the private yet).
Tasted Uk education once, I vowed never to have anymore dealings with Nigerian university system.
We have not even started the journey to have any amongst the best in Africa, it will take serious divine intervention & human determination to even get to the bottom of the list you are looking at.

i.e You will see it firsthand how ACC 101 is being applied in companies,Businesss et all .......

When U are done with Field Research, U will present your findings using PowerPoint and Projector ...... Research Project begins from the scratch !!!

In Nigeria, don't even talk about our copy and paste Projects .....Only Few Ph.D Research are real as for B.sc/M.sc na grin .......

Examination in Nigeria has always been La Cram La Pour and heavily Theoretical based without/with little Practical Experience!!! ......

Most Nigerian Graduate do not excel in INTERVIEW because the school never prepare them for one .......

In Nigeria, School only served as Orientation camp as most of the knowledge U acquired in School have little Relevance on the Job why .... Trends in Business Change Everyday while Lecture Note of Nigerian Lecturers only change every 5-10 years

During my Early years in the University,I tried forming Efiwe by Writing outside my Lecturer's note ........ Which I will never do again most especially in Nigeria ......I never knew U must give back what U were given !!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

A Nigerian Graduate who wants to compete with Graduates of First 100 Universities in the world Must be ready to develop himself outside the School by Incorporating recent trends in your discipline and understand the rudiments

The Lecturers doesn't even care about students psychology .........What is Carry-over,what is spill,what is splash ....... Any student that failed a course should come back and resit during the Holiday instead of loading such with unnecessary volumes in normal session ....... A poor student failed a course instead of helping him/her out for society sake by resit while others are ahome, he/she will be loaded with more avenue to fail !!!

Nigerian Universities are still quite far from ist 1000 in the world and not 100

UNIVERSITY OF ILORIN,PROBITAS DOCTRINA,BETTER BY FAR HAS ALWAYS BEEN ADVANCING IN THE VALUE CHAIN watch-out !!! grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Gabrielsylar(m): 7:49am On Sep 19, 2013
Unimaid
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by 151487made(m): 7:49am On Sep 19, 2013
Samgreguc: UI, UNIBEN, OAU,UNIIBADAN, ABU, UNIJOS, UNIPORT.
who dey always mention unilorin-2month semester 6month break
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by mizunik: 7:50am On Sep 19, 2013
Unizik
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by unmask: 7:50am On Sep 19, 2013
even if they got the funds, none will make.......but if they start getting required funds from now....then ask your question in a hundred years
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Okijajuju1(m): 7:51am On Sep 19, 2013
NONE!

Reason:

The main reason being the Governments involvement in Nigerian Univeristies: I believe that this is a curse more than it is a blessing to the Nigerian University System. We all know how useless the Nigerian Government is with regards to proper funding of any institution, shoddy maintainance and poor attitude towards sustainable development. I will use 3 universities in Nigeria as my case study.

- Rivers State University of Science & Technology:: Yeah! I know that this school wouldnt rank anywhere in the top 15 Nigerian Universities, but I'm looking at the structures for starters. If you look at the Original buildings that started this University, they look better and are stronger than the new additions built by recent past governments. I later found out that proper construction companies were used to build the initial structures and not these half baked builders that they are using for current buildings. The older buildings had more thought in them. Both from a design perspective and a functionality perspective. The old lecture halls all come with the standard 3 step drop down boards, Amphiteatre-style lecture halls and proper university desks. The new ones are just halls. The difference is clear for all to see. This is so because Politics and Greed has crept in. Lecturers and politicians set up shoddy companies, lobby for these building contracts and deliver absolute crap and nobody seems to be saying anything about it. From the Agric farm area that has carcasses of what must have been a top of the line Battery-cage poultry and feed production mill to the Sciences Lab that has broken down Lab tables. Its just sad.

- OAU: I only drove through that school as I showed in the OAU thread I opened a few weeks back;

https://www.nairaland.com/1417307/obafemi-awolowo-university-ile-ife

What I saw as I drove past was that University in its glory days. I couldnt even begin to imagine how much fun, learning and other stuff the pioneer students of that university enjoyed. The University looked run down and neglected. Its like the current Administration didnt bother to read the Master plan that the founders of that University had in mind. All I kept saying to myself was "All it would take is one contract for a total turn-around maintainance to a good construction contractor. Just one.. The buildings all looked like they had seen better days. The University Adminsitration are trying by keeping the environment clean and doing what little maintainance that they can. Its really sad.

- Imo State University .. No point talking plenty, here is a thread on the state of Imo State University and Alvan Ikoku College of Education looks as it stands today;

https://www.nairaland.com/1129089/okija-presents-owerri-pictures/1

What you see is just neglect of the highest scale. So the Government takes over the Universities, does not fund their researches, maintain their equipments and buildings nor pay the lecturers well, YET!! They dictate how much these Univeristies will charge in Tuition fees (In some cases they even make it free), dictate the cut-off mark for admission (based on Tribe and ethinicity) and even in some cases how many students they must admit.. How do we expect this to work?! How do we expect to be anything but mediocre?!

Nigerian Universities where;

1. A 4 year course takes 5 - 6 years to study.

2. The lecture halls are so over packed that students have to perch on the windows to learn.

3. Where the buildings, equipment and facilities have almost all rotted due to neglect and poor maintainance.

4. Where Admission criteria has so dropped that people now even patch 3 SSCE results to gain admission.

5. Where students in a particular discipline or course would go their entire University lives without being exposed to some of the tools of their chosen discipline.

6. Where the lecturers have been turned into thieves, rapists and beggars, that offer marks for sex, sell Handouts and their books in exchange for marks and even beg students for money atimes.

7. Where Cultism has eaten deep into the system with Lecturers and Vice Chancellors being members|Patrons of some frats.

8. Where research culture in next to non-existing.

9. Where a student can only put in 10% attendance for his entire University year and still graduate with a good degree.

I'm sorry, but NO FEDERAL UNIVERSITY or STATE UNIVERSITY deserves to be on that list.. NONE!

Until the Government divorces our University and make them independent bodies that will run like businesses, then we will never be in the top 150 Universities sef.[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by naturalwaves: 7:52am On Sep 19, 2013
Although, this school is underrated by most people because they don't really know much about it, I believe it is one of the best in Nigeria at the moment and in recent times, far better than some overrated schools and it is the FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE, ABEOKUTA( FUNAAB) formerly UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE, ABEOKUTA (UNAAB).
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Nizstephen(m): 7:53am On Sep 19, 2013
Red_Card: Earlier this month, a list of the World's Top 100 Universities was published (anyone who can post a link to the list should do it please because I don't know how to create a link). As usual, universities in the US lead the list followed by the UK universities.

Universities in Canada, Japan, China as well as Australlian Universities all made the list. I don't think an African University had a spot on that list.....you guys should correct me if am wrong. I haven't been to the US or UK but I believe some of the Universities they listed are no longer as good as they used to be which is why Oxford didn't take take the number one spot.

Some of the schools might have been overrated. While I believe Unilag, Uniuyo, FUTO and even Unizik my dream Uni are overhyped and undersevedly glorified, I still think a Nigerian University deserves atleast a mention. Even when top African Universities are mentioned, Nigerian Universities are usually left out or placed at the bottom of the list but I don't think we are that bad.

I think it's high time they place a Nigerian Uni on the top 100 Universities list even if it would be at the bottom. I don't know what you guys think but am voting Uniben. I think they deserve an honorary mention.

seems u'r a jambite still hyping nigerian uni
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Pilot2: 7:56am On Sep 19, 2013
There is no university in Nigeria that want to do any thing to be even among the first 100,000 in the world, what you should ask is which University in Nigeria is ranked with the highest level of corruption,non of those schools wants to initiate a research that will change our lives and re-position us from a consuming economy to a producing economy.Even the least thing as sponge or tooth pick is being imported from china. ASUU is only looking at selfish demands from the government they don't engage in any form of research,they make our lives miserable by making us study a five years course for eight years and at the same time they cant put up a policy to let the employers know that its their selfish interests that keeps us in school longer and that age should not be used as a criteria for employment looking at the circumstance in the country.lets get our universities working,lets teach our government to be wise please.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Samgreguc(m): 7:58am On Sep 19, 2013
Gwizatasie: oga park well..when did u review the last webometrics ranking?oau ui unilag unn and funaab made the first 2500.

webmotrics' criteria is based on how much time the universities are being searched on web.
Don't get it twisted!
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by AreaFada2: 7:59am On Sep 19, 2013
lamekiss:
Top 20 universities
1. Massachusetts Institute of
Technology (MIT)
2. Harvard University
3. University of Cambridge
4. University College London (UCL)
5. Imperial College.
6. University of Oxford
7. Stanford University
8. Yale University
9. University of Chicago
10=. California Institute of
Technology (Caltech)
10=. Princeton University
12. Eth Zurich (Swiss Federal
Institute of Technology)
13. University of Pennsylvania
14. Columbia University
15. Cornell University
16. Johns Hopkins University
17=. University of Edinburgh
17=. University of Toronto
19=. Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale
de Lausanne
19=. King's College London

I graduated from one of these universities and worked briefly in another one above. I also did some work using the lab/facilities of another one here. They are truly excellent institutions. After year 1, BSc students (Sciences) have to rely on newly published work/journals for their education and not some knowledge published in some 3 or 5 year old books.

Healthcare courses have world class Teaching hospitals with specific areas of leadership worldwide like: Neurosurgery, Chest Medicine, Hepatology/Liver transplant, Kidney Transplant/Nephrology, Robotic Surgery, Psychiatry, Assisted Reproduction, Nuclear Medicine, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Plastics, Dermatology, Emergency Medicine etc.

Lecturers are those churning out new discoveries and shaping knowledge internationally.
You really have to be there to appreciate it.

Nigerian unis of the 70s until mid-80s were not far behind these universities but these foreign ones have made a huge leap forward since but ours have largely stagnated.

What encourages me is that Nigerians can excel in the right environment. Insha Allah that will happen soon.
We have the brains, the money but no correct visionary leadership in Nigerian education policy right now.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Chrichigo(m): 8:03am On Sep 19, 2013

Wat ¥♡̨̐υ̲̣̥ av to no is dat..it is nt all about "ur dream shool.but about d real fact..let me make ask ¥♡̨̐υ̲̣̥..wat achievement has dos sch got to display in terms of academics........these sch are rates high in nigeria bcus of their infranstructure, also most of d Oga'$ @d top in d NUC. Are professors in those ssch....I wil lay my point on next comment...
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Nobody: 8:04am On Sep 19, 2013
OP, this is a rhetorical question because you know the answer - Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, the current best university in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Adobanyi(m): 8:04am On Sep 19, 2013
T̅ђє̲̣̥ Better By Far University... Unilorin surely deserves 2 b among em!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Davo93(m): 8:07am On Sep 19, 2013
Littlehooper:

U ARE NOT RIGHT MY GUY, OAU DOESN'T CLAIM BEST UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA... OAU OUTPUT MAKES HER TO BEST UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA.....
WHICH COURSE ARE U STUDYING N WOT LEVEL ARE U IN
CHECK www.4icu.org/topafrica/ n see d list
Littlehooper:

U ARE NOT RIGHT MY GUY, OAU DOESN'T CLAIM BEST UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA... OAU OUTPUT MAKES HER TO BEST UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA.....
WHICH COURSE ARE U STUDYING N WOT LEVEL ARE U IN
CHECK www.4icu.org/topafrica/ n see d list
See my guy, nobody is argueing with you whether OAU is placed number one or not Do you even know the criteria for the ranking you are talking about? More importantly, is it what we are taught by the so called highly 'learned' lecturers that makes our output the best we have in Nigeria or the MUCH extra job we do on our own?? Let me tell you here, i know the secret of OAU high ranking but i can't be disclosing that here. Have you even asked yourself before why the like of Auchi Polytechnic is ranked ahead a nice school like FUTA? Is Auchi Poly really better than FUTA? Obviously NO! There is an untold secret behind it.

Fellow GREATEST Ife student, we don't need to start washing our dirty linen in public. All of us are in OAU and we know whats up, except we keep deceiving ourselves.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Davo93(m): 8:08am On Sep 19, 2013
This post has been hidden
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by otokx(m): 8:08am On Sep 19, 2013
Going by non ASUU strike it has to be UNILORIN

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Davo93(m): 8:09am On Sep 19, 2013
This post has been hidden
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Nobody: 8:09am On Sep 19, 2013
I wl jst simply go 4 KSU
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by richybanky(m): 8:10am On Sep 19, 2013
playcharles: University of unilag...Noooo, Mushood Abiola University! Click like if u think MAULAG is the best

Odetically grin
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by ceejayluv(m): 8:10am On Sep 19, 2013
hardeywaley2012: (O A U) OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY DESERVE TO BE AMONG WORLD'S TOP 100, EVEN 50.
Dream on...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

David Aremu Oluwafemi, Lecturer In Gay Scandal At College Of Agriculture, Ibadan / What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Western Education? / Dead Newborn Baby In University Of Maiduguri’s Female Toilet (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.