Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,913 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

3D Animation Programming Join The Team - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / 3D Animation Programming Join The Team (10529 Views)

Electronic Money Project: Join The Team / Electronic Circuit Design And Construction-join The Team / Game Development: Join The Team (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by csharpjava(m): 1:11pm On Oct 06, 2013
Javanian: I am willing to learn as the project goes on. I have no experience on this. Also, i have some knowledge of 3D Maths and 3D Physics, but its just theory.

In that case here is where it all begins if you are programming in Java:

Java Graphics: This code will draw a 2D box which can move across the screen.
If you want I can explain it to you line by line.
https://www.nairaland.com/667409/java-cafe#8322842
csharpjava:

The code should look like this:

import java.awt.*;
import javax.swing.*;
import java.awt.event.*;

public class MovingBox extends JFrame implements ActionListener
{

private boolean isRight = true;
private JButton MoveLeftButton = new JButton("Moving Box Right"wink;
private JButton MoveRightButton = new JButton("Moving Box Left"wink;

public MovingBox()
{

setTitle("Moving Box"wink;
setLayout(new FlowLayout());
add(MoveLeftButton);
add(MoveRightButton);
setSize(500,200);
setLocation(300,300);
setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.EXIT_ON_CLOSE);
MoveRightButton.addActionListener(this);
MoveLeftButton.addActionListener(this);
getContentPane().setBackground(Color.yellow);
setVisible(true);
    }

public void paint(Graphics g)
{
super.paint(g);

if(isRight == true)
{
g.drawRect(100,100,90,90);
g.setColor(Color.blue);
g.fillRect(100,100,90,90);

}
else
{
g.drawRect(300,100,90,90);
g.setColor(Color.blue);
g.fillRect(300,100,90,90);;

}
}

public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent e)
{
if(e.getSource() == MoveRightButton)
{
isRight = true;
repaint();
}

if(e.getSource() == MoveLeftButton)
{
isRight = false;
repaint();
}
}
}

public class runMovingBox {

public static void main(String[] args) {

new MovingBox();
}
}

To move the box across the screen with the keyboard key press add these modifications suggested below:
https://www.nairaland.com/667409/java-cafe#8323511
Shimao: csharpjava has addressed some of it but it could still be better.
Declare the initial position of your box and its dimension as variables, so also the distance to move with each key press.
Use these as arguments to draw the box.
I believe you intend to use a KeyListener, in your event handling code, use a switch to check which key was pressed and increment or decrement the initial x or y position as it would apply, then repaint.
Your class need not implement an event handling interface as you may be giving it unintended responsibility.
Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by Ajibel(m): 5:32pm On Oct 06, 2013
I'm not fantastic. If there is a rating of Excellent, Average, Poor,,, i'd rate myself below Poor in 3d graphics buh i'm a bit comfortable drawing 2d graphics. Done that with Turtle, JS, HTML5, CSS3, Pygame buh graphics was boring to me then. I'd only participate to learn few things to see if my interest would be fired up, i wont be committed doe embarassed i have a lot doing nau angry angry

1 Like

Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by csharpjava(m): 6:38pm On Oct 06, 2013
Ajibel: I'm not fantastic. If there is a rating of Excellent, Average, Poor,,, i'd rate myself below Poor in 3d graphics buh i'm a bit comfortable drawing 2d graphics. Done that with Turtle, JS, HTML5, CSS3, Pygame buh graphics was boring to me then. I'd only participate to learn few things to see if my interest would be fired up, i wont be committed doe embarassed i have a lot doing nau angry angry

Since your are more interested in 3D graphics then here is the C# code which I have just found, will be nice if we can all analyse it together so we can share our understanding.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms752082.aspx

using System;
using System.Windows;
using System.Windows.Controls;
using System.Windows.Media;
using System.Windows.Media.Media3D;

namespace SDKSample
{
public partial class Basic3DShapeExample : Page
{
public Basic3DShapeExample()
{

// Declare scene objects.
Viewport3D myViewport3D = new Viewport3D();
Model3DGroup myModel3DGroup = new Model3DGroup();
GeometryModel3D myGeometryModel = new GeometryModel3D();
ModelVisual3D myModelVisual3D = new ModelVisual3D();
// Defines the camera used to view the 3D object. In order to view the 3D object,
// the camera must be positioned and pointed such that the object is within view
// of the camera.
PerspectiveCamera myPCamera = new PerspectiveCamera();

// Specify where in the 3D scene the camera is.
myPCamera.Position = new Point3D(0, 0, 2);

// Specify the direction that the camera is pointing.
myPCamera.LookDirection = new Vector3D(0, 0, -1);

// Define camera's horizontal field of view in degrees.
myPCamera.FieldOfView = 60;

// Asign the camera to the viewport
myViewport3D.Camera = myPCamera;
// Define the lights cast in the scene. Without light, the 3D object cannot
// be seen. Note: to illuminate an object from additional directions, create
// additional lights.
DirectionalLight myDirectionalLight = new DirectionalLight();
myDirectionalLight.Color = Colors.White;
myDirectionalLight.Direction = new Vector3D(-0.61, -0.5, -0.61);

myModel3DGroup.Children.Add(myDirectionalLight);

// The geometry specifes the shape of the 3D plane. In this sample, a flat sheet
// is created.
MeshGeometry3D myMeshGeometry3D = new MeshGeometry3D();

// Create a collection of normal vectors for the MeshGeometry3D.
Vector3DCollection myNormalCollection = new Vector3DCollection();
myNormalCollection.Add(new Vector3D(0,0,1));
myMeshGeometry3D.Normals = myNormalCollection;

// Create a collection of vertex positions for the MeshGeometry3D.
Point3DCollection myPositionCollection = new Point3DCollection();
myPositionCollection.Add(new Point3D(-0.5, -0.5, 0.5));
myPositionCollection.Add(new Point3D(0.5, -0.5, 0.5));
myPositionCollection.Add(new Point3D(0.5, 0.5, 0.5));
myPositionCollection.Add(new Point3D(0.5, 0.5, 0.5));
myPositionCollection.Add(new Point3D(-0.5, 0.5, 0.5));
myMeshGeometry3D.Positions = myPositionCollection;

// Create a collection of texture coordinates for the MeshGeometry3D.
PointCollection myTextureCoordinatesCollection = new PointCollection();
myTextureCoordinatesCollection.Add(new Point(0, 0));
myTextureCoordinatesCollection.Add(new Point(1, 0));
myTextureCoordinatesCollection.Add(new Point(1, 1));
myTextureCoordinatesCollection.Add(new Point(1, 1));
myTextureCoordinatesCollection.Add(new Point(0, 1));
myTextureCoordinatesCollection.Add(new Point(0, 0));
myMeshGeometry3D.TextureCoordinates = myTextureCoordinatesCollection;

// Create a collection of triangle indices for the MeshGeometry3D.
Int32Collection myTriangleIndicesCollection = new Int32Collection();
myTriangleIndicesCollection.Add(0);
myTriangleIndicesCollection.Add(1);
myTriangleIndicesCollection.Add(2);
myTriangleIndicesCollection.Add(3);
myTriangleIndicesCollection.Add(4);
myTriangleIndicesCollection.Add(5);
myMeshGeometry3D.TriangleIndices = myTriangleIndicesCollection;

// Apply the mesh to the geometry model.
myGeometryModel.Geometry = myMeshGeometry3D;

// The material specifies the material applied to the 3D object. In this sample a
// linear gradient covers the surface of the 3D object.

// Create a horizontal linear gradient with four stops.
LinearGradientBrush myHorizontalGradient = new LinearGradientBrush();
myHorizontalGradient.StartPoint = new Point(0, 0.5);
myHorizontalGradient.EndPoint = new Point(1, 0.5);
myHorizontalGradient.GradientStops.Add(new GradientStop(Colors.Yellow, 0.0));
myHorizontalGradient.GradientStops.Add(new GradientStop(Colors.Red, 0.25));
myHorizontalGradient.GradientStops.Add(new GradientStop(Colors.Blue, 0.75));
myHorizontalGradient.GradientStops.Add(new GradientStop(Colors.LimeGreen, 1.0));

// Define material and apply to the mesh geometries.
DiffuseMaterial myMaterial = new DiffuseMaterial(myHorizontalGradient);
myGeometryModel.Material = myMaterial;

// Apply a transform to the object. In this sample, a rotation transform is applied,
// rendering the 3D object rotated.
RotateTransform3D myRotateTransform3D = new RotateTransform3D();
AxisAngleRotation3D myAxisAngleRotation3d = new AxisAngleRotation3D();
myAxisAngleRotation3d.Axis = new Vector3D(0,3,0);
myAxisAngleRotation3d.Angle = 40;
myRotateTransform3D.Rotation = myAxisAngleRotation3d;
myGeometryModel.Transform = myRotateTransform3D;

// Add the geometry model to the model group.
myModel3DGroup.Children.Add(myGeometryModel);

// Add the group of models to the ModelVisual3d.
myModelVisual3D.Content = myModel3DGroup;

//
myViewport3D.Children.Add(myModelVisual3D);

// Apply the viewport to the page so it will be rendered.
this.Content = myViewport3D;
}
}
}

And this is the 3D image you get below. Next stage will be to make this 3D image to keep rotating.

Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by Nobody: 9:00pm On Oct 06, 2013
Javanian: I am willing to learn as the project goes on. I have no experience on this. Also, i have some knowledge of 3D Maths and 3D Physics, but its just theory.

Since u have some knowlege already, u should try them out na. I am sure u arent just contented with the theory alone. Well maybe u havent got enough time on time on ur hands sha. But whenever u find the time, try them out. I have found that things practiced stick in ur head longer and provide far better understanding.
Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by Javanian: 12:50pm On Oct 07, 2013
@csharpjava this looks like using standard libraries to manipulate attributes of an image(3D) like size, position and orientation. I don't see how this would help build a graphics engine undecided I maybe wrong though.
Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by Javanian: 12:54pm On Oct 07, 2013
PhenomenonVFX:

Since u have some knowlege already, u should try them out na. I am sure u arent just contented with the theory alone. Well maybe u havent got enough time on time on ur hands sha. But whenever u find the time, try them out. I have found that things practiced stick in ur head longer and provide far better understanding.

I hope to do something great with them but i don't think i have what it takes yet, time, money, skill and otherwise. I learnt them before venturing into 3D Game development just to have knowledge of what my game/graphics engine is doing for me and understand the API better. tongue
Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by csharpjava(m): 7:43pm On Oct 07, 2013
Javanian: @csharpjava this looks like using standard libraries to manipulate attributes of an image(3D) like size, position and orientation. I don't see how this would help build a graphics engine undecided I maybe wrong though.

Developing a graphics engine would still require the use of standard classes, unless you're suggesting I write my own programming language, imagine what the doubting Thomases here would say if I should say I want to venture into writing my own programming language grin
Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by worldbest(m): 8:28pm On Oct 07, 2013
If you really want to write a game engine, why waste time working with just standard classes of C# or Java. I suggest you just start working with DirectX or OpenGL. Unless you want to learn the low level workings of those frameworks
Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by csharpjava(m): 9:00pm On Oct 07, 2013
worldbest: If you really want to write a game engine, why waste time working with just standard classes of C# or Java. I suggest you just start working with DirectX or OpenGL. Unless you want to learn the low level workings of those frameworks

Thanks for sharing this, is just for now I really love the low level stuff as everything else are built on it. Later on I might move to the ones you suggested.
Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by cyrielo(m): 9:14pm On Oct 08, 2013
just asking are you guys trying to create a video game or game engine like udk and unity
??
Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by jjk24(m): 10:44am On Oct 09, 2013
cyrielo: just asking are you guys trying to create a video game or game engine like udk and unity
??
na game engine dey w0n create 0 ma guy lyk unity 0 me jst dey here dey chill dey read all dis c0mments I b 1 0f dem doubting th0mases 0 l0lz #dnt haate abeg c0mm0n 3d game ppl tried 2 create aam 4 dis same nairaland since 2010. 0r s0 d tin felll apart nw na game engine gudluck guys phen0min0 vfx I see u 0 n I respect u .
Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by csharpjava(m): 12:49pm On Oct 09, 2013
Still marching forward, now with the codes I will post below I can change the colour of an individual pixel in an image, slice portions of an image by selecting its pixels to create new ones and with the class I posted above, adding some modifications, I can create 3D images with animation. Next stage is to build the user interface for the games engine that will use these standard classes, methods and others including delegates provided by the programming language to draw new images, manupulate existing images and to co-ordinate the movement of these images on the screen.
Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by worldbest(m): 5:22pm On Oct 09, 2013
A lot of guys are waiting for this guy's project to fail so they can say 'I told you so'.

@OP keep doing what you are doing. You will learn a lot from this project. Whether you succeed or fail, your level of understanding of 3D and graphics in general will surpass most of the block heads discouraging you. Instead of encouraging him, they want to pull him down. Typical Nigerian character. Lazy people. All they know how to do with programming is to seek clients that will pay them N25k to build 5 page websites.

2 Likes

Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by jjk24(m): 12:12am On Oct 10, 2013
worldbest: A lot of guys are waiting for this guy's project to fail so they can say 'I told you so'.

@OP keep doing what you are doing. You will learn a lot from this project. Whether you succeed or fail, your level of understanding of 3D and graphics in general will surpass most of the block heads discouraging you. Instead of encouraging him, they want to pull him down. Typical Nigerian character. Lazy people. All they know how to do with programming is to seek clients that will pay them N25k to build 5 page websites.
I can 0nly laff my guy u nt hlpin dis guy e fit learn yes !! Buh in d hard way ni he will s00n realize dah all his bein learnin is jst a bit 0f wah he nids buh I dnt wanna talk 2much 4 here since na u b d smart 1 we r d pessimist wh0 want his dwnfall !! Dey enc0urage am g0 .

2 Likes

Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by csharpjava(m): 6:42am On Oct 10, 2013
worldbest: @OP keep doing what you are doing.
Thanks for this encouragement. I won't allow those who don't believe it can be done here, to discourage me as I know it was some people that did such for the very first time and others too did so after.
Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by worldbest(m): 7:00am On Oct 10, 2013
jjk24: I can 0nly laff my guy u nt hlpin dis guy e fit learn yes !! Buh in d hard way ni he will s00n realize dah all his bein learnin is jst a bit 0f wah he nids buh I dnt wanna talk 2much 4 here since na u b d smart 1 we r d pessimist wh0 want his dwnfall !! Dey enc0urage am g0 .

So he should just sit down and do nothing because the task pass him power. If I am not helping then what am I supposed to do? How can you guys help him? You have nothing to offer, no ideas, no references or resources just negativity. One of your Nairaland ITK god says something with sweet grammar and then his clowns follow. I personally don't think he or a bunch of guys online can develop something like Unity or UDK but they can definitely build a functioning game engine. A lot of single developers built their own engines with DirectX or OpenGL at the time when UDK or Unity was not available to small developers. If you limit yourself, don't do so to others.

1 Like

Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by Javanian: 8:57am On Oct 10, 2013
@csharpjava please keep updating us. i am really learning from this.

@all those discouraging him, even if he is wasting his time, is it your time? let him be joor sad

1 Like

Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by csharpjava(m): 1:56pm On Oct 10, 2013
Javanian: @csharpjava please keep updating us. i am really learning from this.
@all those discouraging him, even if he is wasting his time, is it your time? let him be joor sad
Thanks for this comment , much appreciated.

I have created a graphical user interface to get me the co-ordinates of the pixle points on the screen when I scroll my mouse over, this will be needed when I load images on the screen to be manupulated and for motion co-ordination of these images.

Over to the doubting Thomases are you still doubting.

2 Likes

Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by CODEEATER(m): 6:42pm On Oct 10, 2013
Hmmmm...dis is getting interesting
Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by Nobody: 9:37pm On Oct 10, 2013
I am still unimpressed. OP this is still an attempt at image manipulation and creating a GUI and still far from anything remotely game engine.
But I am glad u doing this at least u will learn a few things on the way and u will appreciate the need to acquire knowledge like I have told u to.

Advice:
Try to do this because u want to achieve something sensible for urself and not because u want to impress some "doubting Thomases". Because if u are doing it to impress people, there is a high tendency for u to go and copy someone's source code that even u dont understand its inner workings, compile it and show us an image here.
But if u really want to do something, forget the doubting Thomases and impressing people. Learning and acquiring knowledge while doing the project should be ur focus.
Cheers.
Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by csharpjava(m): 7:48am On Oct 11, 2013
PhenomenonVFX:
Advice:
Try to do this because u want to achieve something sensible for urself and not because u want to impress some "doubting Thomases". Because if u are doing it to impress people, there is a high tendency for u to go and copy someone's source code that even u dont understand its inner workings, compile it and show us an image here.
But if u really want to do something, forget the doubting Thomases and impressing people. Learning and acquiring knowledge while doing the project should be ur focus.
Cheers.

Can you show me a Book or Journal you have written to back up your advice on a games engine creation. There is nothing wrong with using standard classes provided by a programming language and knowledge from other sources as long as they are referenced.

I'm conducting a research while working on this project and at the end I can publish a Journal or a book on this project and the research I have carried out.

1 Like

Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by Nobody: 9:36am On Oct 11, 2013
U think by saying u want to publish a journal, u are gonna sound academically impressive? U dont. Certainly not to me. If anything, u seem like u are over-compensating for some personally percieved flaw u see in urself. Try impressing some other guys with that.

I didnt say u shouldnt use standard classes. If u actually read what I wrote without feeling vindictive or defensive u would have actually gotten a thing or two from what I said. Dude u do have a problem with listening and paying attention.
Even Bullet Physics, the game engine Blender uses, the same used to create the movie 2012, was written using C++ standard classes.

My point was actually learn and stop trying to impress. I can see u are still trying hard to impress people on a faceless forum by throwing around words like "publishing" and "journal". Ur goal should be learning and not impressing. If ur goal is learning, and if u meet a setback during the project, u wont feel ashamed to come back here and ask for help from even people that have less experience in programming than u. But if ur goal is impressing people, u could just go and compile someone else's program that u dont understand its inner working and then post the picture here to impress people.

Finish this project u are doing, and I can bet u that if u are able to finish it, u would have gathered enough knowledge to find out that it wasnt as easy to do as u thought it was. It wasnt just "simply" moving pixels around. And by then, u will appreciate d need for u to go and get the knowledge I told u to get before embarking on something as hard as a game engine.
Cheers.

PS: Make sure u read this one with an open mind. I know it is hard for u to read something written by a "doubting Thomas" with such a state of mind. But just try in spite of urself to read this post with an open mind. Ok?

1 Like

Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by wisemania(m): 1:38am On Oct 12, 2013
When will i eva get 2 dis level....i still av a long long way 2go.....omo game engine no wan kon easy sha...OP-i support u wellemly,even if i no understand wetin u dey code...coz am not given 2it,but i dey feel ur swaga,no mind doz "doubting thomas"...ikan to ba wu enibodi lor ley fenu won sor....
Dnt worry come 2020 wen i'd be a pro in C and ASM ,den we'll wrk on advanced projects similar 2dis,but as 4now i neva even sabi HTML4.01 not 2 tlk of css... *my2cents* 8-)
Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by csharpjava(m): 6:08am On Oct 12, 2013
PhenomenonVFX:
My point was actually learn and stop trying to impress. I can see u are still trying hard to impress people on a faceless forum by throwing around words like "publishing" and "journal". Ur goal should be learning and not impressing. If ur goal is learning, and if u meet a setback during the project, u wont feel ashamed to come back here and ask for help from even people that have less experience in programming than u. But if ur goal is impressing people, u could just go and compile someone else's program that u dont understand its inner working and then post the picture here to impress people.

I'm not here to impress anyone, but to lay the foundation for developing a games engine like the best ones around or even better, which in turn will lead to being able to create advance games and I'm confident that this can be achieved.

The 3D C# code I posted above has been provided by Microsoft for learning purposes and I did reference the source of the code so I don't know what I have done wrong by posting such a code here.

You've been trying to prove here that you have all the theoretical knowledge needed for creating images and a game's engine, my advice for you now is that since you are not interest in joining this team, you should use your knowledge, the time, energy and resources you're been wasting for your write-ups on this thread, to start creating your own games engine. But if you have not yet got to that level of turning theory into practical then try and learn from the valuable knowledge transfer I have been sharing on this thread.

2 Likes

Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by Elvisten10(m): 6:40am On Oct 12, 2013
csharpjava:

I'm not here to impress anyone, but to lay the foundation for developing a games engine like the best ones around or even better, which in turn will lead to being able to create advance games and I'm confident that this can be achieved.

The 3D C# code I posted above has been provided by Microsoft for learning purposes and I did reference the source of the code so I don't know what I have done wrong by posting such a code here.

You've been trying to prove here that you have all the theoretical knowledge needed for creating images and a game's engine, my advice for you now is that since you are not interest in joining this team, you should use your knowledge, the time, energy and resources you're been wasting for your write-ups on this thread, to start creating your own games engine. But if you have not yet got to that level of turning theory into practical then try and learn from the valuable knowledge transfer I have been sharing on this thread.
you didn't understand that guy at all.
Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by csharpjava(m): 6:51am On Oct 12, 2013
Elvisten10: you didn't understand that guy at all.
You and your guys should start using your time and resources for making useful contributions to this thread, like the 3D C# code I posted above, use your time to analyse it if you can and share the knowledge here rather than looking for how to turn this thread into a useless argument of who has the theoretical knowledge of creating a game's engine. This thread is about turning the theory we have in your heads into into a working solution we can see and use. We are not talking about football here where the spectators are the better players than the actual players on the pitch.
Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by worldbest(m): 8:51am On Oct 12, 2013
@PhenomenonVFX

When you created that animation of yours and posted on NL what were you actually looking to achieve? Whether you admit it or not, you wanted to impress people (I was impressed) and also get constructive criticism. So there is nothing wrong with coding to "impress" people as far as you have the time. Motivation to learn can come in any form.

You keep talking about the OP getting appropriate knowledge before he ventures into something as difficult as this. But I think you are dead wrong, he is not trying to sell the end product so he can definitely learn as he codes. You will never know how truly difficult it is to convert theory to codes till you attempt to do it so I think the OP is on point no matter how naive he sounds.

I browsed through your 300+ posts to see how vast your knowledge of programming is but I was very disappointed. You are in no position to question someone's ability to venture into a difficult terrain based on their knowledge because I can deduce that you are not better than the OP (programming wise). You love to argue, that is why you do more religious (whose god is better) posting than even the python (which is the only language you seem know..its not a bad thing at all) or animation (which is cool) you know.

I suggest you let the OP be. He is not out to impress you. No doubt, you know how graphics works but you just know the theory. Since you are this knowledgeable, I think you should begin to contribute to Blender (which is what you use) since you know Python.

Its very hypocritical for a graphics/animation artist to attack another person who he thinks is starting a project to impress people because that's is what you do. Especially if you aren't a professional. So yeah, you can pass for an hypocrite (moderator I didn't insult him).
Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by Elvisten10(m): 9:06am On Oct 12, 2013
csharpjava:
You and your guys should start using your time and resources for making useful contributions to this thread, like the 3D C# code I posted above, use your time to analyse it if you can and share the knowledge here rather than looking for how to turn this thread into a useless argument of who has the theoretical knowledge of creating a game's engine. This thread is about turning the theory we have in your heads into into a working solution we can see and use. We are not talking about football here where the spectators are the better players than the actual players on the pitch.
i have always supported you and will keep supporting you on this thread. If you focus on impressing the doubting thomas you might end up leaving nairaland and never coming back if you fail. *A WISE MAN IS ONE WHO BUILDS A HOUSE FROM BRICKS STONED AT HIM*, *ANY BODY THAT KEEP SAYING YES TO ALL YOUR ACTIONS AND WORDS SHOULD BE SACKED*. GOODLUCK.
Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by worldbest(m): 9:52am On Oct 12, 2013
When someone is trying to do something you think is "impossible", you should try to encourage that person and provide help in any way you can. Dont tell that person how you think they can't do it. If someone creates a post and says he wants to develop and OS, some shallow and lazy minded people here would begin to castigate that person instead of helping. This is how to reply to a post where someone wants to do the "irrelevant" or "impossible". http://www.quora.com/How-do-I-write-an-operating-system

Moderator, stop hiding my post...I ki**ll you!
Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by Nobody: 10:59am On Oct 12, 2013
@worldbest
Now that u are smart enough to address me directly instead of referring to me in innuendos I will reply u back with equal candour.

I guess u missed the part where I said I have programmed microcontrollers using assembly language. To be clear, I have started programming with C++, moved on to C# then to Python. I used C# mainly in my final year in school and I used C/ASM in my final year project. And it is a good project that I wont name because I am trying hard not to make this discussion about me and my ability. I dont even want to start talk about the project here. Aside from that I have used MATLAB, Octave and R at various times in my career. From artificial intelligence to even digital signal processing. If u did electrical and electronics engineering at any sensible level, u will know these things. All these are apart from HTML, CSS and Javascript that I use more often than not. I still do different projects with/for many people using any of these. And I still use C/C++ atimes when I need to speed up my Python programs when algorithm improvements are still not fast enough for me. The reason why I love Python is because it's open source. I learnt more about programming and algorithm design just by reading Python's feature list and improvement lists. Python is sweet. I do most of my work in it. But that doesnt mean that is the only language I know.
It seems u want me to bring my CV and my latest works and post it here like I am seeking ur approval. Sadly, I am not. Deal with it.

As to my reason for being an active contributor in the religious section. Believe it or not, the smartest guys in nairaland are in the religious section. U can quote me anywhere. And the religious section affords me the opportunity to engage in an intellectual discussion with people with divers opinions. It keeps me busy when I am bored. If anything, this thread has proven that the people in the religious section possess higher intelligence and are very much willing to listen to people and they dont see dissenting voices as jealous or hateful. And they are not even programmers or scientists for that matter yet they show more savvy than so called programmers I see here. I like discussion with such people. And that was the kind of discussion I was expecting when I first commented on this thread. I have written something similar on @Javanian's thread and some other threads that didnt degenerate into a 3-page thread of rancour and paranoia on the part of the OP.

The problem with u is ignorance. If u had actually done a really hard large-scale project before either is school or elsewhere, u will appreciate the need for u to go and acquire knowledge before doing it. There is a reason why they teach the theory first before doing the practical. Only artisans learn practical without knowing the theory. Before ever venturing into 3D graphics, my interest was in only robotics. It was as a process of learning about the algebra of inverse kinematics that I ventured into 3D. Robotics and3D have a lot in common. The most easy examples for me then were the ones in 3D graphics. Sooner, I found myself learning raytracing (google it.) and programming a raytracer with vidpython or so. There is no way u can do a 3D game engine without knowing about raytracing or foward/ inverse kinematics. There is much to know. The only reason I kept doing 3D after having enough knowledge was because people started asking me to teach them. Hence my venture into Blender. I entered into Blender for the same reason I did python: open source. I learnt more about 3D graphics programming and design just following their feature list and improvement list.

The OP wants to do a project on game engine. I believe he can if and only if he acquires the right knowledge like I stated in my first comment on this thread, you can take a look at it again, else he is just gonna end up to be another burnout who once tried to do something great. I have seen many burnouts in my time and these are usually men with potential but who got tired not because they tried doing the impossible but because they tried doing the possible the wrong way. I have met many people who see some of my programming or 3D works and they usually say "i once tried to do that before but I have given up". And one recurring theme in their story is that they went about it the wrong way; rushing in head-on. One of them is my good friend. He is one of those who inspired me into programming. Now he has lost his ability to dream big. He has d brains and everything. Maybe that is why i always try to help people who are starting up in an area of career I have knowledge in so they dont end up like him. I am happy it got u so peeved u had to go look at my nairaland history and conclude that it is a reflection of my abilities. Very Intelligent. wink grin

Thank goodness someone like @Elvisten10 is intelligent enough to understand what I was saying. So I am now sure that the problem is not in the way I passed the messsage but in the state of yours and the OP's mind. U have chosen to see this as PhenomenonVFX vs. CSharpJava. Doubting Thomases vs. The big dreamer. Goodluck with that.
Feel free to reply me however u like. Trust me, u cant offend me. So say ur mind in full.

@OP. Goodluck with ur project. U can secretly take my advice without telling me and use it for ur own good and actually succeed in ur project. Or u continue building in ignorance without counting the cost. I still stand by my first comment here. With equally ignorant admirers like @worldbest to cheer u on, I am sure u are going places. Rest assured I wouldnt comment on this thread again.

5 Likes

Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by csharpjava(m): 12:14pm On Oct 12, 2013
For those following be rest assured that this project is not yet over until it's over.

csharpjava:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms752082.aspx

myPCamera.Position = new Point3D(0, 0, 2);
myPCamera.LookDirection = new Vector3D(0, 0, -1);
myDirectionalLight.Direction = new Vector3D(-0.61, -0.5, -0.61);

This diagram helps to explain how to work out these 3D co-ordinates in some of the sections of the 3D C# code above, which I posted earlier. You can watch the full video on YouTube

@
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zylsMzCHmgA

Re: 3D Animation Programming Join The Team by DharkPoet(m): 12:23pm On Oct 12, 2013
@Csharpjava and @worldbest, I think the problem is you/we all are missing Phenomenon's point, all he's trying to say in summary is this, OP do your thing, but follow the right path to achieve that.

Trust me, I can't read any hate message, or discouraging comment, from what he posted, it's like me saying I want to build a plane, a massive Boeing, and I'm reading how to make Toy plane books. Should someone trying to fix me be termed doubting Thomas or hater? No, 'I personally' don't think so.

OP, you were quick to judge, why not understand what the doubting Thomases were saying, then if you think it doesn't suit you, fine, no one would kill you if you discarded the advice.

I'm still trying to find out where your capabilities were doubted.

My Rusty 2 Cents

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated / Java Vs Oracle Dba: Which Is More Profitable? / Is Decagon Worth It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.