Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,323 members, 7,811,953 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:25 AM

Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? (8718 Views)

10 More Things From 1960 That Are Worth Celebrating In 2014 / Google.ng Celebrates Nigeria's 53rd Independence With A Doodle / A Message To Nigerians As We Celeberate Our 53rd Indepence Day. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by papi365: 2:37pm On Sep 30, 2013
hustla:

To mumu no be easy thing o
CORRECT GUY LOL
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by slawbaba: 2:39pm On Sep 30, 2013
for the common man on the street of abuja, lagos, kano, maiduguri, it isn't worth celebrating naija independence day. But for the looters it is a big day
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by goldenvicky(f): 2:39pm On Sep 30, 2013
Worth celebrating ke.....?? WAY.A country wer we have crude oil and der's fuel scarcity,a country wer we have to go for strike until FG meet up our
Demands,a country wer we see electricity as a previledge ,bad leaders,wer der's a deadly group called boko haram,a country wer our leaders fight in d public for d whole world to see,bad leaders,S many bad things.infact Nigeria at 53 still crawls lyk a baby.S how do u expect an old man lyk Nigeria dat still crawls at 53 to be celebrated.All d same,GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by titilayo02: 2:40pm On Sep 30, 2013
Hal b: These are the questions that keeps ringing in my head,is our independence worth celebrating?,what are d (positive) impacts GEJ's administration did to improve our stagnant economy?,what exactly deserves celebration? Is it the ongoing ASSU strike?or the rampant killings in d north?.At this state we are in,we should all have a rethink about where we are coming from,where we are, presently, and WHERE ARE WE HEADING TO??.this is a serious issue that needs to be tackled, pls air ur views on this topic.
My question is for how long are we going to ask this question when even a blind man can answer this recurrent question,phahaps we should all put on black cloths to morn for those innocent citizen killed by boko haram ,jobless nigerians, wantom killings through road accident and ninety days old ASUU strike. celebration! no way.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by Thomsbuky(m): 2:44pm On Sep 30, 2013
What is there to celebrate? Please ask yourself?
Boko Haram Indiscriminate killing innocent Nigerian.
PHCN Blackout, no tangible production and crumbling manufacturing base?
Million of Jobless Nigerian roaming the street?
Corruption eating all the fabric of the nation?
Social infrastructure crumbling Road network?
Social maladies like kidnapping extortion, killing, tribalism and division?
Would you celebrate any of these ? ?

After 53rd years of independent from colonialism, no achievement to show for our statehood hard fought for by our fore fathers, for me these call for sober mood and reflection on leaders, government, individual as a matter of fact from all Nigerians to shun lavish kind of celebration and wasteful of National resources.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by Sanandreas10(m): 2:48pm On Sep 30, 2013
[quote

Is this one silly or trying to be....!
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by Evestar200(f): 3:14pm On Sep 30, 2013
Akeem79: Off topic indeed cheesy today you are team Delta because Manurechester lost two straight league game haha .... grin
still off topic tongue #team Delta#
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by Profitcost: 3:54pm On Sep 30, 2013
When ASUU is on strike! Haba
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Sep 30, 2013
Hal b: Mind u,I'm a TRUE,LOYAL and PATRIOTIC citizen of this country and i pray everyday 4 dis country,i also believe and have Faith in GOD. It's just that d situation we are in PRESENTLY,is so depressing and fraustrating 4 us 2 start thinking of celebration.I ask dis question 2 know our views on how 2 move dis country 2 a greater height and i also want 2 know ur views on how u feel about 2morrow, IS IT WORTH CELEBRATING OR NOT,SIMPLE!! .I believe we can all contribute our quota 2ru dis platform, u never can tell if d president is reading dis.And i also beleive dat one day Nigeria will rise among the Greatest countries of d World.Thanks 4 d criticism and HAPPY INDEPENDENCE IN ADVANCE!!.

Nice comment. I see u are a true nigerian. The situation of this country is poor leadership foundation, curruption has taken a majestic seat in this country that I can rheoterically say babies bribe there way into rich families from conception. Thruth be told, Yes we are currupt but we are tired because we are not eating large. A faulty building from foundation is a collapsed building in formation, so the best advise is to clear/demolish the building and start again. Now do we kill all the currupt leaders in Nigeria to start a currupt free nation? No because the millitary took over power by the same reason and what happened? Curruption increased like an agric plant. My point of contribution is simple, let's look at the future in hunger for development and be a voice as one to say we want a bright future for our kids n grandchildren. It will take sacrifice cos we have prayed and we need to work. Nigeria is blessed and we are the sustainable blessing. Happy independent day.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by Ifedikaycee(m): 4:12pm On Sep 30, 2013
Well,the only special tin abt naija's independence day 4 nw is jst d fact dat its a public holiday.....buh i love naija shaaa....,good people,retarded leaders,great nation!!
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by Ellashow: 4:14pm On Sep 30, 2013
This is the first time, I'm seeing everywhere silent of this year Oct. 1st celebration.
Last year was not as bad as this, I'm yet to see any car decorated in Green White Green in my area and my husband too refused to use our last year souvenir to decorate our house nor his car because he said 'their nothing to celebrate about'.

Long Live to all our future LEADERS that will make this Nation Great again, and
#God bless Federal Republic Of Nigeria
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by infoscope(m): 4:30pm On Sep 30, 2013
[b]When the then Minister of Information Prof. Mrs. Dora Akunyili started the re-branding project in 2009, many saw it as one of those white elephant projects which will end up having no significance on the life of the average Nigerian. This is not surprising as most Nigerians are nothing but a bunch of naysayers, people who do not believe that anything good can come out from Nigeria. For this set of people, the future of the country looks bleak and is now at the mercy of divine intervention. This set of Nigerians will prefer to dwell on the negatives while pretending to be oblivious of the many things worth celebrating, about Nigeria.

Little wonder she (Prof. Dora Akunyili) said in a colloquium in Lagos that“poor perception of Nigeria and its people by both Nigerians and foreigners is one of the greatest challenges facing the country at the moment.” Nigeria is a great country, take it or leave it.We are the giant of Africa and the envy of many countries. So as our dear country celebrates her 53rd independence anniversary there is need to take a breakand forget the worldwide negative attitude toward anything called Nigeria; that our businessmen are seen as crooks internationally; that we are permanently stereotyped as drug mules or that our leaders are corrupt. There are lots to celebrate about this country so before you sentence me for taking this stance, please read my argument as published on http://martinuwakwe..com/2013/09/nigerian-at-53-is-it-worth-celebrating.html[/b]
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by Iamstrata(m): 4:31pm On Sep 30, 2013
no but as a patriotic nigerian.... RING THE BELLS LETS CELEBRATE OUR KINGDOM
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by Kingspin(m): 4:40pm On Sep 30, 2013
Yes, atleast we're very luck to remain as a country Nigeria.
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by Halb: 6:19pm On Sep 30, 2013
papi365: u re just confusing urself.which day naija go beta? 10yrs ago people were complainin but neva new dat in d nxt decade to come it would be worsen. stop hoping for shit. evryday unemployment rises 100%. u beta watch ur word b4 i sepe 4 u.
There is nothing confusing about this!,What u failed to understand is that,WHEN U HAVE LIFE U HAVE HOPE.I BELEIVE THERE IS SOMEONE OUT THERE,WHO WILL BRING A CHANGE TO DIS COUNTRY AND LEAD US TO THE PROMISE LAND.IT COULD BE ME OR U,YOU NEVER CAN TELL.LIVE AND LET'S LIVE!!
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by Annie2gud(f): 6:59pm On Sep 30, 2013
@papi you are a sadist...oya go play with charcoal.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by papi365: 7:11pm On Sep 30, 2013
Hal b: There is nothing confusing about this,What u failed to uderstand is that,WHEN U HAVE LIFE U HAVE HOPE.I BELEIVE THERE IS SOMEONE OUT THERE,WHO WILL BRING A CHANGE TO DIS COUNTRY AND LEAD US TO THE PROMSE LAND.IT COULD BE ME OR U,YOU NEVER CAN TELL.LIVE AND LET LIVE!!
Deception is one of the greatest enemy.dey console urself dreamer. i am only proud to be an afro.
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by papi365: 7:15pm On Sep 30, 2013
Annie2gud: @papi you are a sadist...oya go play with charcoal.
mumu is a viral disease dat has cripled ur medula. as a good samaritan i recommend u use mumuphabetic antibiotics,pls use d syrup it wil work faster 4. if one of ur close family member is a victim of d boko bois wuld u celebrate? mumu,hyprocrite is ur real name while mumu is ur surname.
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by Kellychukadibbs(m): 7:18pm On Sep 30, 2013
No, not alll....nothing to celebrate, nothing to be happy about....because the bad occassions outnumbers the good ones, evil people overshadow Godly affairs

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by aladon10: 9:41pm On Sep 30, 2013
I will gladly celebrate for ma country am proud of naija and also celebrate our thieves AKA owa leader for a smooth and sucessful stealing without a trace while ASSU is sleeping and begging 2be woken up.....
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by Halb: 9:51pm On Sep 30, 2013
papi365: Deception is one of the greatest enemy.dey console urself dreamer. i am only proud to be an afro.
choi! u are very funny with ur replies*lol*.On a serious note u'r d one being deceptive.I understand your point but,what sld b on our agenda now is d WAY FORWARD.WE can't keep dwelling on negativity forever.Let's be positive.
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by tnktosin(m): 10:01pm On Sep 30, 2013
No
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by dasparrow: 11:01pm On Sep 30, 2013
@Post

The only good thing about independence day is that I get to stay home and relax. Is Nigeria worth celebrating? Hmmmm. 50 students just lost their lives to terrorist attacks, Nigeria can still not boast of constant light and clean tap water in 2013. Corruption is at an all time high. ASUU has been on strike for like 3 months already right?

The more things change, the more they remain the same. Those who believe in celebrating failure can go ahead and celebrate Nigeria at 53. As for me, I do not think Nigeria has anything to celebrate. Imagine someone on this thread comparing Nigeria to Syria. Why don't you compare Nigeria to south Africa and see that Nigeria is not fulfilling her potential like she should.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by Situation: 12:02am On Oct 01, 2013
Too fvkcing bad..yu asking the wrong set of pipol the right question...yu probably should redirect that question to the chimpanzee that did a media chat yesterday *para*
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by Missprettie(f): 12:05am On Oct 01, 2013
Let's rise as we celebrate our great country's independence!!!
NIGERIA is 53 today n it worths celebrating

*humming d national anthem*
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by adeyrule(m): 12:12am On Oct 01, 2013
Celebrating what?
ASUU on strike
Nepa no bring light
Money no dey
Hungry dey wire pple
Boko haram dey kill
Abeg wetin we wan celebrate I never knw let somebody tell me

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by Revolva(m): 12:30am On Oct 01, 2013
Nigeria 53..omo i no even send sef..i have long lost hopes in this nation....i dont believe in it jare....53 year old confused fool

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by papi365: 4:24am On Oct 01, 2013
Hal b: choi! u are very funny with ur replies*lol*.On a serious note u'r d one being deceptive.I understand your point but,what sld b on our agenda now is d WAY FORWARD.WE can't keep dwelling on negativity forever.Let's be positive.
E go beta is a generational talk which am sure,u wil pass 2 ur children as ur parents passed it 2 u. i no dey deceive moi self,keep hopin o,d lord is ur strength.
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by guttentag(m): 6:39am On Oct 01, 2013
NIGERIA 53 years report card
Electricity..............F9
Education.............F9
Prostitution..........A1
Good Road.............D7
Banking Sector......E8
Bombing...............A1. Creativity..............D7
Telecommunication....E8
Security.................F9
Corruption.............A1
Cash Embezzlement.A1
Leadership.............F9
Job opportunity.......F9
Bank robbery.........A1
Production............F9
Development......D7
Kidnapping.........A1

So what are we celebrating?

3 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by Halb: 7:06am On Oct 01, 2013
papi365: E go beta is a generational talk which am sure,u wil pass 2 ur children as ur parents passed it 2 u. i no dey deceive moi self,keep hopin o,d lord is ur strength.
It's like you've TOTALLY lost Hope 4 dis country.Is d situation that Bad??.Pray Oga, u need 2 pray 4 ur country,as long as u reside and make a living here u are still a NIGERIAN,there is nothing like Generational talk,it's plainly a prayer 4 9ja.yes E go beta, 4 9ja.*wipes Tears*
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by yemi2plus(m): 7:37am On Oct 01, 2013
A Poem For Nigeria

I sat here and watched,
As a child grown into a lady,
Many suitors now approach her,
I remembered and I smiled,
I laughed and I cried,
As she celebrated again.

Happy 53 birthday Nigeria.
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by Abuhudhaifah(m): 7:43am On Oct 01, 2013
to me der is nofin worth to be celebrate atall bcus der's many fin need to be set well. What r we celebratin ?students r at home for da pass hw many months nw?no concrete security,no lite no good road may Allah save us. Millions will be wasted today....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Simplejoe4x.com. Scam Or Not? / I Need Serious Financial Assistance / The Good Or Bad Things That Happen To You In 2012?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.