Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,965 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:35 AM

Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? (8719 Views)

10 More Things From 1960 That Are Worth Celebrating In 2014 / Google.ng Celebrates Nigeria's 53rd Independence With A Doodle / A Message To Nigerians As We Celeberate Our 53rd Indepence Day. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by makazona(m): 7:47am On Oct 01, 2013
Baba_Eleko: Come October 1st, I'm setting my Nigerian passport and other Nigerian souvenir I have at home on fire and YouTube it. Togo or Ghana passport na chicken change. At least den go value me for outside if I present any of the 2 pass this green paper. That's how I'm protesting against this dictatorial govt led by our Oga at the top wey we go soon chase to bottom come 2015. And if anybody ask who burn national property na to slot in shaggy singing "It wasn't me".

so y are you tellin us in advance? make we kum dy beg u abi? hmmm,u neva che chunchin!
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by dotcomnamename: 8:17am On Oct 01, 2013
[size=25pt]NIGERIA 53 Years Report Card[/size]

[size=18pt]Electricity..............E8
Education.............E8
Prostitution..........A1
Good Road.............D7
Banking Sector......E8
Bombing...............A1.
Creativity..................D7
Telecommunication....E8
Security....................F9
Corruption...............A1
Cash Embezzlement.A1
Leadership.......F9
Job opportunity...F9[/size]

Dis is serious. Is this not cary over?"
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by Joe4real701(m): 9:06am On Oct 01, 2013
It is only in naija a pupper becomes a BILLIONAIRE an a BILLIONAIRE becomes a pupper due to oil allocation...#teamnaija4life
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by papi365: 9:41am On Oct 01, 2013
guttentag: NIGERIA 53 years report card
Electricity..............F9
Education.............F9
Prostitution..........A1
Good Road.............D7
Banking Sector......E8
Bombing...............A1. Creativity..............D7
Telecommunication....E8
Security.................F9
Corruption.............A1
Cash Embezzlement.A1
Leadership.............F9
Job opportunity.......F9
Bank robbery.........A1
Production............F9
Development......D7
Kidnapping.........A1

So what are we celebrating?
U RE TOO MUCH.
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by debbleopto: 11:22am On Oct 01, 2013
ronalmagic10: I agree with you that there are lot of challenges we are facing and very little to be happy about but we must not give up our hope.

We won the nations cup, boko haram has been contained to some extent, there are tremendous improvements in sectors such as aviation, agriculture etc, our economy is poised to overtake SA as the leading economy in Africa and so on

I see ASUU strike as a positive thing because our lecturers and tertiary institutions would definitely be better off after the strike only that it's taking too long

#teamnaija 4ever

I went through your thought and remark it that this is a 10 years old thought. winning football cup is a measure to your ignorant mind that things are getting better? who told you that Adjustment won't go to a protracted strike again if our govt didn't change their deceptive ways and breaking of promise. if one of your family is among those college students killed in the midnight by boko HARAM, you won't say they have been contained. it is only in Nigeria we celebrate failure and bad things. I pray your child wouldn't celebrate taking 36 out of 40, telling you that it was 38 he took last year, that there is an improvement. Please watch less of football. It has infection capabilities on the mind.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by debbleopto: 11:53am On Oct 01, 2013
Slow venom: are u beta dan dos dat die? If u dnt lyk clbrzion dn pray 2 God to tk ur life. liv dos dat cn aprcit d gift of life to clbret. Matrial things is nt all u nid.

off course I am celebrating what God is doing to me. Never in the evil the govt and he people are doing. Is is john the Baptist you expect to celebrate with Herod what is going on in Judea. my boy go and celebrate the birthday of that Guy owing you money for ten years, he will even buy you wine and tell you that you should give him sometime.
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by iamdsam: 3:18pm On Oct 01, 2013
Though our leaders aren't helping matters, we still got a lot to celebrate in Nigeria. This is a country that got all the potentials it requires to attain any height. I believe in Nigeria. God bless Nigeria!
Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by ehixking(m): 5:38pm On Oct 01, 2013
AS WE CELEBRATE INDEPENDENCE, I Ehis Abuya the national coordinator of National Association of Unemployed graduates (NAUG) want us all to take a moment and journey back memory lane. Let us look back at history and see how far we have come (from where) and where we shall be in the nearest future. Since our independence in 1960, today, I must say welcome from an age long trip.
Nigeria became a country in 1914 and Nigeria remains the most populous and dominant socio-economic entity in Africa, yet our human resources are either exported or treated like a piece of dirty rag.
Like a mirage it is to me if we are still slaves or free men. I believe our state of perpetual unemployment makes us worse than slaves. Slaves in those days were productive, slaves earned money, had more than enough to eat and even owned properties, the only difference is the physical body damages. 
What else could be worse for us if they call us free men yet we can't walk to the National Assembly and make our voices heard? Which pain could be greater than watch a few people less than 5% feed fat on our national revenue while masses live their lives like animals? Basically, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) has a criteria of rating development and human capital is the greatest of all. We have numerous graduates in Nigeria yet we allow them “run for their lives” or “run abroad” or whichever way you would like to put it. Greener pastures my foot when even Philippines  Indians and so many foreigners come here and set up big farms, employ graduates only to pay them peanuts and use them like they've got no qualifications. 
Graduates are not just able-bodied men you can just pick up from the street. Each time I travel through our express ways, I weep in my heart like a broken-hearted lady guilty of infidelity. I weep like a helpless child after the pains of birth or like that of a mother in labour. That is how much my heart aches. 
You must be thinking about the bad roads but no way. I weep when I see thousand of thousands of hectares of virgin land yet to be cultivated. I weep when I see lands that can be use for farms and productive businesses been converted to prayer grounds where youth and healthy men and women who ought to be working,  there praying  and fasting for miraculous jobs on a cool windy Monday morning to fall from heaven.
Sleeping giants! At what time should we wake up? Isn't the honeymoon over yet? Men are scared of getting married; young ladies are going for men of their father’s age just to break the feathers of poverty. It’s so unfortunate that these issues affect us all, yet we are scared to make our voices echo resoundingly into the stone deaf ears of our leaders. 
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) apart from human capital development states some basic facilities that must be in place before a country can be considered as developed....very simple 
1) Education 
2) Health 
3) Food 
4) Shelter
I must confess to all Nigerians that none of these is basic in Nigeria, but luxury. Our leaders claim they are trying, well they think so because instead of engaging in economic development plans they are all involve in economic growth so it would manifest as fast as my eye would blink so that people can see and vote them in for a second term. 
The rate of increase in per capital income increases yearly in Nigeria but no visible economic development. Politicians and our leaders only engage in economic growth for political reasons, so we would say it’s for national pride. Well, how about human welfare? How about jobs for graduates? Their entire economic growth project doesn't account for good quality of life, freedom or leisure.
We spend a lot building a house for the vice president.
We spend so much on international sport participation and pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia and Jerusalem, while the people of Kurfi Local Government of Katsina have no shoes on their feet nor “Tuwo” in the belly.
Well known companies donate to international footballers to do their jobs, yet they can't create industries for us to work. The solution to scraping unemployment in Nigeria is industrialisation and mechanised agricultural production. OK! We don't need white collar jobs. We the Nigerian youths are ready to work on farms and be paid according to our qualifications!!The National Association of Unemployed Graduates hereby sees all these problems as inhumane and as problems that can easily be solved through using our brains. Our constitution has numerous aims and objectives, different visions and mission but all can be summarized as follows.
"To remove bottlenecks and create a situation of full employment for all graduates, and enhance socio-economic stability in Nigeria." 
Let us wake up and arise now, or remain fallen..
Happy Independence only to those willing to join the struggle against unemployment!
Join us on Facebook and Twitter
www.facebook.com/naugnigeria@naijagraduates
Ehis Abuya
National Coordinator (NAUG)
ehixking@gmail.com‪

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? by Tonjeola1(m): 5:42pm On Oct 01, 2013
Thomsbuky: What is there to celebrate? Please ask yourself?
Boko Haram Indiscriminate killing innocent Nigerian.
PHCN Blackout, no tangible production and crumbling manufacturing base?
Million of Jobless Nigerian roaming the street?
Corruption eating all the fabric of the nation?
Social infrastructure crumbling Road network?
Social maladies like kidnapping extortion, killing, tribalism and division?
Would you celebrate any of these ? ?

After 53rd years of independent from colonialism, no achievement to show for our statehood hard fought for by our fore fathers, for me these call for sober mood and reflection on leaders, government, individual as a matter of fact from all Nigerians to shun lavish kind of celebration and wasteful of National resources.
You ve a mail, pls check and reply

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Simplejoe4x.com. Scam Or Not? / I Need Serious Financial Assistance / The Good Or Bad Things That Happen To You In 2012?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.