Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,283 members, 7,811,836 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:47 PM

The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! (21309 Views)

Ok Ww3 Has Officially Started Today The 7th Of December 2015 / U.S. Government Claims Exclusive Ownership Over Its "Invention" Of Ebola / China Blasts US Shutdown, Calls For A ‘de-americanized’ World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 5:01am On Oct 01, 2013
The US Congress could not agree on a spending bill
The U.S. government shutdown went into effect at 12:01 a.m. ET Tuesday after lawmakers in the House and the Senate could not agree on a spending bill to fund the government.

The two sides bickered and blamed for more than a week over Obamacare, the president's signature health care law. House Republicans insisted the spending bill include anti-Obamacare amendments. Senate Democrats were just as insistent that it didn't.

Federal employees who are deemed essential will continue working. But non-essential employees will be furloughed.

Most furloughed federal workers are supposed to be out of their offices within four hours of the start of business Tuesday.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/30/politics/shutdown-showdown/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by biafranqueen: 5:11am On Oct 01, 2013
Wow your fast beat me too it grin
If this happened in 9ja the military would step in right away if you promise them pay or not.
They should tell the truth the dollar has been taking off the oil trade currency because of the massive debt, they are just sugar coating the real deal. Maybe soon people in Nigeria will be sending money to family in the USA and Nigeria will deny Americans Visa.

13 Likes

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 5:13am On Oct 01, 2013
biafranqueen: Wow you beat me too it grin
If this happened in 9ja the military would step in right away
I've got quick fingers grin
You are not far from the truth. In Naija, there would at least, be rumors of military coup. However, the U.S. is a mature representative democracy.

1 Like

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by biafranqueen: 5:16am On Oct 01, 2013
CFCfan:
I've got quick fingers grin
You are not far from the truth. In Naija, there would at least, be rumors of military coup. However, the U.S. is a mature representative democracy.
wink
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by BekeeBuAgbara: 5:17am On Oct 01, 2013
Who is to blame, Obama or the lawmakers? undecided
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 5:21am On Oct 01, 2013
BekeeBuAgbara: Who is to blame, Obama or the lawmakers? undecided
Well, the lawmakers share most of the blame. The US House of Representatives, which is controlled by the Republicans, refused to authorize any appropriations bill that would fund the Affordable Care Act a.k.a 'Obamacare'. The House passed 3 spending bills which specifically called for the defunding of 'Obamacare'.
On the other hand, Obama and Senate Democrats made it clear that any of such appropriations bill passed by the House would be rejected by the Senate. The result is that the US Congress ended up not passing a harmonised appropriations bill, hence the govt shutdown.

3 Likes

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 5:30am On Oct 01, 2013
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed following silently
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by BekeeBuAgbara: 5:48am On Oct 01, 2013
CFCfan:
Well, the lawmakers share most of the blame. The US House of Representatives, which is controlled by the Republicans, refused to authorize any appropriations bill that would fund the Affordable Care Act a.k.a 'Obamacare'. The House passed 3 spending bills which specifically called for the defunding of 'Obamacare'.
On the other hand, Obama and Senate Democrats made it clear that any of such appropriations bill passed by the House would be rejected by the Senate. The result is that the US Congress ended up not passing a harmonised appropriations bill, hence the govt shutdown.
That's the implication of having the opposition in charge of any of the the two chambers of congress. (Even though there is no difference between PDP controlled House of Rep and the opposition.)

I think the shutdown would affect only non-essential workers.

1 Like

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 5:48am On Oct 01, 2013
BekeeBuAgbara: That's the implication of having the opposition in charge of any of the the two chambers of congress.

Anybody with a paying government job will be considered essential to their families grin

2 Likes

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 5:51am On Oct 01, 2013
BekeeBuAgbara: That's the implication of having the opposition in charge of any of the the two chambers of congress.

Yeah, that's why democracy ain't the perfect system of govt.
It is still baffling how military personnel weren't considered to be essential employees; but a bunch of suits who make $100,000 a year with low productivity, are deemed essentially. That's absolute bollocks.

3 Likes

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by BekeeBuAgbara: 6:10am On Oct 01, 2013
SniperInADiaper:

Anybody with a paying government job will be considered essential to their families grin
You are right but the government may think a situation like this those working in zoos grin and other recreation departments can sit at home but not doctors and police.

1 Like

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by BekeeBuAgbara: 6:13am On Oct 01, 2013
CFCfan:
Yeah, that's why democracy ain't the perfect system of govt.
It is still baffling how military personnel weren't considered to be essential employees; but a bunch of suits who make $100,000 a year with low productivity, are deemed essentially. That's absolute bollocks.
shocked shocked shocked What a surprise
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 6:14am On Oct 01, 2013
BekeeBuAgbara: shocked shocked shocked What a surprise
A quick update: Obama apparently signed a bill from Congress which ensures that the Armed forces will still be paid in the event of the shut down. However, their paychecks would be delayed.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by nikkyshyne(f): 6:56am On Oct 01, 2013
cool. Really the signs grin

2 Likes

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by FindOut(m): 7:07am On Oct 01, 2013
Hahahaha! If it were Nigeria, if Senate or House of reps like, make dem no pass budget for 2 years, GEJ go still see money buy private jet for him mistress grin * no pun intended*

OK, Seriously, for how long is this expected to go on? CFCfan & other enlightened ones , can you tell us what possible consequences might result from this "shutdown"?
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by badmeat(m): 7:13am On Oct 01, 2013
At least me I get money to enjoy my heineken and point and kill this evening!grin
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 7:21am On Oct 01, 2013
Find Out!:
Hahahaha! If it were Nigeria, if Senate or House of reps like, make dem no pass budget for 2 years, GEJ go still see money buy private jet for him mistress grin * no pun intended*

OK, Seriously, for how long is this expected to go on? CFCfan & other enlightened ones , can you tell us what possible consequences might result from this "shutdown"?
What the shutdown means is that all non-essential US Government workers would be furloughed i.e. the workers would not be paid for some time. National Parks and museums will be closed. This shutdown will affect around 850,000 federal civil servants.

3 Likes

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by FindOut(m): 7:26am On Oct 01, 2013
CFCfan:
What the shutdown means is that all non-essential US Government workers would be furloughed i.e. the workers would not be paid for some time. National Parks and museums will be closed. This shutdown will affect around 850,000 federal civil servants.

Ok, I had to google up what 'furlough' means after I entered this thread. That doesnt sound nice. However, will essential services mannned by federal workers still be functional? Though i know the US is not like Nigeria where the government owns everything.

2 Likes

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by manny4life(m): 7:28am On Oct 01, 2013
I'm so fvcking pissed off right now, I've been following the news since 1am, it's not enough that Sequestration has come to stay, then the furlough, now govt shutdown? Well, one thing is for sure, I'm gonna be home watching Nigerian movies like I'm doing now.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by manny4life(m): 7:31am On Oct 01, 2013
CFCfan:

Very ridiculous, a whole rack of people are affected. DC is pretty much on standstill today.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 7:32am On Oct 01, 2013
Find Out!:

Ok, I had to google up what 'furlough' means after I entered this thread. That doesnt sound nice. However, will essential services mannned by federal workers still be functional? Though i know the US is not like Nigeria where the government owns everything.
Yes. For instance, the NASA personnel in charge of the Space Station will still continue to work, members of Congress will still receive their paychecks too. On the flip side, US embassies and consulates could be shut.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 7:33am On Oct 01, 2013
manny4life:

Very ridiculous, a whole rack of people are affected. DC is pretty much on standstill today.
I tell you. That's the city that would be most affected by the shutdown. Even Nigerians seeking American visas would be affected too.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 7:34am On Oct 01, 2013
manny4life: I'm so fvcking pissed off right now, I've been following the news since 1am, it's not enough that Sequestration has come to stay, then the furlough, now govt shutdown? Well, one thing is for sure, I'm gonna be home watching Nigerian movies like I'm doing now.
There are some good ones on irokotv.

1 Like

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by manny4life(m): 7:34am On Oct 01, 2013
If you're deemed not "critical", you're not to report to work this morning. Critical employees are the ONLY ones allowed to work and get paid, all others, go home and this applies to federal and trust employees.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by manny4life(m): 7:36am On Oct 01, 2013
CFCfan:
I tell you. That's the city that would be most affected by the shutdown. Even Nigerians seeking American visas would be affected too.

More than 300k federal service employees work in the DC area, what do you expect?

Another 1/3 are contractors, third party organizations, non-profit organizations etc who piggy back off the FG, i.e. work in FG bldgs, yes they aren't going anywhere. All systems will shut out today, no access to emails, if you want news, go to OPM... Like seriously, I'm getting really angry at America now
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by manny4life(m): 7:39am On Oct 01, 2013
CFCfan:
There are some good ones on irokotv.

Abegi, it's 2:38am here, I may as well watch Nigerian movies

Meanwhile, I watched "Last Flight to Abuja", very good movie
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 7:40am On Oct 01, 2013
manny4life:

Did you watch it online?
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by manny4life(m): 7:41am On Oct 01, 2013
CFCfan:
Did you watch it online?

Yes o

YouTube

1 Like

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 7:50am On Oct 01, 2013
manny4life:

Yes o

YouTube
Okay, thanks. I'll check it out.

The next big fiscal battle will be the Debt ceiling. Here, the full faith and credit of the United States is at stake.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by KayDee4: 7:51am On Oct 01, 2013
manny4life:

I just watched it Sunday night, saw it on youtube. Not bad.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by KayDee4: 7:53am On Oct 01, 2013
CFCfan:
Yes. For instance, the NASA personnel in charge of the Space Station will still continue to work, members of Congress will still receive their paychecks too. On the flip side, US embassies and consulates could be shut.

Embassies and consulates will be open unless it's one in a federal building that has been shut.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by manny4life(m): 7:58am On Oct 01, 2013
CFCfan:
Okay, thanks. I'll check it out.

The next big fiscal battle will be the Debt ceiling. Here, the full faith and credit of the United States is at stake.

My days are numbered in this country, whether Democrats and Republicans disagree, when the time comes, it will hit everyone. Sometimes I wish citizens can recall their reps and senators because these guys are no different from the ones in Nigeria who earn money, live in the best houses, have the best healthcare but don't give two fuccks about the average Joe who work to keep the govt functioning.

The Debt ceiling will be a tough battle, one that will make or break the U.S., everyone is anticipating it because the right wingers are full of shitt. They can afford to spend more than $8billion funding Bush's war but when the economy is in a sink hole, they rather defund education and healthcare and award their cronies in defense billions of $$$ in contracts.

I'm sorry, I know I'm going off tangent, but forgive my bickering... I'm just pissed.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Countries Rush High-risk Sudan Evacuation, Amid Fierce Fighting / Magnitude 6.3 Earthquake Hits Afghanistan. 2000 Killed, Many Injured / California’s Deadliest Wildfire Finally Tamed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.