Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,637 members, 7,827,356 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:00 AM

The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! (21329 Views)

Ok Ww3 Has Officially Started Today The 7th Of December 2015 / U.S. Government Claims Exclusive Ownership Over Its "Invention" Of Ebola / China Blasts US Shutdown, Calls For A ‘de-americanized’ World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 7:59am On Oct 01, 2013
Kay-Dee:

Embassies and consulates will be open unless it's one in a federal building that has been shut.
I meant US embassies abroad.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by ITbomb(m): 8:08am On Oct 01, 2013
'Strikes and Shutdown happens everywhere' - GEJ
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by lanaVello1(m): 8:13am On Oct 01, 2013
CFCfan:
Yeah, that's why democracy ain't the perfect system of govt.
democracy ain't the perfect system of govt? lwkmd,sure dah was wat u meant?grin

1 Like

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Agbgift(f): 8:15am On Oct 01, 2013
am actually learning from this update. Thanks guys for the enlightenment.
All I can say is that USA Government
is not all that perfect.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by honeric01(m): 8:20am On Oct 01, 2013
Manny4life is about rewriting the book of lamentations.

ya all should know the American economy is like a time bomb waiti and counting.

Rethink your stand.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 8:24am On Oct 01, 2013
honeric01: Manny4life is about rewriting the book of lamentations.

Rethink your stand.
Na Lamentations 1:100 cheesy

1 Like

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 8:26am On Oct 01, 2013
ITbomb: 'Strikes and Shutdown happens everywhere' - GEJ
Very well said grin
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by pickabeau1: 8:27am On Oct 01, 2013
Cfcfan remember tht it was a matter of time

This same shutdown was averted april 2011 then over the debt limit to allow govt continue borrowing

The issues were not solved

Tea party will not stand on obama's real or perceived over-bloated govt and boehner has to follow suit

Obama will not stand down also..

Breakdown!!!

Meanwhile how far .. Steau bukarest...

Will shekpe prevail

Moubusted..
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by manny4life(m): 8:37am On Oct 01, 2013
honeric01: Manny4life is about rewriting the book of lamentations.

Rethink your stand.

Bros, abeg me no dey rewrite anything, this country is getting fvcked up by the minute. I know that American economy isn't sustainable in the long run - piling debt, social security running low, military spending cuts, furloughs, sequestration, shutdowns, etc. I have taken necessary steps to protect myself for the period I'll be here (short term), U.S. is gradually going down the path of ruins because you have greedy fucktards in Capitol Hill who have no effing clue about what a gallon of milk cost. Some fucktards come up with figures and numbers without not knowing the implication of their actions, imagine the businesses that will lose money today?

DC alone will loose millions of $$$ in revenues today, federal service employees are the largest metro commuters, imagine where more than 50% are home, metro will loose money, private business, innocent contractors, unemployment office will be overwhelmed with application for wages... It is ridiculous all because some lynch men in suit and their male testosterone doesn't wanna give me... because of what? Obamacare? Do they really hate Obama like that? Didn't the Supreme Court rule in his favor? angry angry angry
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by HezronLorraine(m): 9:05am On Oct 01, 2013
This is really bad news and it's gonna give a lot of people hard times.it's dissapointing they can't avert it's occurrence.I hope they pull recovery schemes soon.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by honeric01(m): 9:18am On Oct 01, 2013
manny4life:

Bros, abeg me no dey rewrite anything, this country is getting fvcked up by the minute. I know that American economy isn't sustainable in the long run - piling debt, social security running low, military spending cuts, furloughs, sequestration, shutdowns, etc. I have taken necessary steps to protect myself for the period I'll be here (short term), U.S. is gradually going down the path of ruins because you have greedy fucktards in Capitol Hill who have no effing clue about what a gallon of milk cost. Some fucktards come up with figures and numbers without not knowing the implication of their actions, imagine the businesses that will lose money today?

DC alone will loose millions of $$$ in revenues today, federal service employees are the largest metro commuters, imagine where more than 50% are home, metro will loose money, private business, innocent contractors, unemployment office will be overwhelmed with application for wages... It is ridiculous all because some lynch men in suit and their male testosterone doesn't wanna give me... because of what? Obamacare? Do they really hate Obama like that? Didn't the Supreme Court rule in his favor? angry angry angry

Chapter 2 of the new 'manny4life's book of lamentations' lolz jokes.

But jokes apart, whats wrong with the obamacare? Seems it supports the poor in place of the rich?
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 9:23am On Oct 01, 2013
A Congresswoman on MSNBC said that the shutdown will cost the govt $150 million per day shocked
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by manny4life(m): 9:29am On Oct 01, 2013
honeric01:

Chapter 2 of the new 'manny4life's book of lamentations' lolz jokes.

But jokes apart, whats wrong with the obamacare? Seems it supports the poor in place of the rich?

Lol... Lamentations right? Abeg forgive me jare, I will continue to lament because it ain't right

As much as I like Obamacare, I just thought the "mandatory" part was unconstitutional, but I like Obamacare anyway because it helps the poor with insurance.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by manny4life(m): 9:32am On Oct 01, 2013
CFCfan: A Congresswoman on MSNBC said that the shutdown will cost the govt $150 million per day shocked

That's the FG, not the states... Look at this quick analysis

More than 1million go into DC daily, these folks spend more than $10/day in the city be it transportation, dining/restaurant, fuel/gas, whatever. This means on average, businesses will loose about half of that amount, meaning that DC govt can only accrue 5% tax of that amount. Do the math further, and account for for other activities and you see that DC is losing about $3million daily just in sales tax revenue and I'm just being too conservative.

1 Like

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 9:46am On Oct 01, 2013
^^
DC don suffer no be small. The 'good' news though, is that the US doesn't operate a unitary system of govt; otherwise the repercussions would have been much more severe.

October 17 is the next big day.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Horus(m): 10:39am On Oct 01, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhjfZnnRdQw

President Barack Obama on US Government Shutdown

1 Like

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by GHPATRIOT(m): 11:28am On Oct 01, 2013
CFCfan:
(1)Yeah, that's why democracy ain't the perfect system of govt.
(2)It is still baffling how military personnel weren't considered to be essential employees; but a bunch of suits who make $100,000 a year with low productivity, are deemed essentially. That's absolute bollocks.

(1) Parliamentary system is the best, because government is formed out of the majority in parliament, so such bickering is avoided. But it also means majority will always have their way whilst the minority will have their say.
The USA practices a Presidential system and its not good news when the opposition is in control of your legislature. But it also means there will be a bipartisan approach to issues to move the country forward. The good news about the USA system is that, reps seek for re-election every two years, and if the citizens see that the 0pposition are only bickering because of Politricks, they will punish them.

(2) The only federal employees who will have their pay check is the Military. I don't know about FBI, CIA etc!
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by HezronLorraine(m): 12:02pm On Oct 01, 2013
^^
You'll hate Parliamentary system when there's a coalition govt.
I presume the FBI,CIA,Homeland Security and Secret Services should get their paychecks too.They're top govt employees.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by manny4life(m): 12:10pm On Oct 01, 2013
Hezron Lorraine: ^^
I presume the FBI,CIA,Homeland Security and Secret Services should get their paychecks too.They're top govt employees.

You try, what makes them different from Department of State, Justice or Defense employees?

Abeg, there's nothing "top" about them, granted some of their department are critical to national security, but I can assure you for instance, their administrative, finance, maintenance, IT, etc. departments aren't critical so they're going home.

1 Like

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 12:16pm On Oct 01, 2013
Congress's approval rating is now at 10% grin grin
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by HezronLorraine(m): 12:34pm On Oct 01, 2013
@Manny4life.you probably rtight.Congress approval rating is at 10%.that ain't progress.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by GHPATRIOT(m): 12:34pm On Oct 01, 2013
Hezron Lorraine: ^^

Yes! I know in Africa coalition governments means coalition thievery, the 0pposite is the case in Britain, Germany, Australia & Israel.
A coalition government exists because not a single party was able to win seats to form a government and as such must negotiate with other parties with different priorities.

Germany: The Greens party's main concern is to protect the natural resources, increase agriculture and to kick against anything that will harm the country's farmers among others. Such a party cannot go into coalition with a party that plans to give tax reliefs to company's that will undermine farmers.... I don't recall when but a coalition party member kicked against Germany's intelligence act that sought to compel telco's to record & store customers call for upto 3mnths before its deleted.

Australia: The majority in parliament needed only two seats to form a government, the 0nly (3)seats available were that of Independents, and they promised the two independents of making their constituencies be the first to benefit from the government funded subsidised internet data.

Israel: This system assures that no one party can ever be a majority because of the proportionality system. The hawkish right and left wing parties never form a government together, because its bound to fail.

Anyways, @B0ld3d...... I doubt it, because Obama was clear, unless the FBI & CIA are subunits of the Pentagon, then I don't see them geting their paycheck.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by GHPATRIOT(m): 12:38pm On Oct 01, 2013
Hezron Lorraine: @Manny4life.you probably rtight.Congress approval rating is at 10%.that ain't progress.

Haha! I recall Bush jr saying he does not take executive decisions based on 0pinion polls when a journo told him Americans were against some of his executive decisions through a survey....
The Hypocrisy of America, but they are ready to invade other countries because when there are approval ratings.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Sammiejo: 1:08pm On Oct 01, 2013
[quote author=biafranqueen]Wow your fast beat me too it grin
If this happened in 9ja the military would step in right away if you promise them pay or not.
They should tell the truth the dollar has been taking off the oil trade currency because of the massive debt, they are just sugar coating the real deal. Maybe soon people in Nigeria will be sending money to family in the USA and Nigeria will deny Americans Visa. [/quote

Lol
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by moshino(m): 1:17pm On Oct 01, 2013
CFCfan:
Well, the lawmakers share most of the blame. The US House of Representatives, which is controlled by the Republicans, refused to authorize any appropriations bill that would fund the Affordable Care Act a.k.a 'Obamacare'. The House passed 3 spending bills which specifically called for the defunding of 'Obamacare'.
On the other hand, Obama and Senate Democrats made it clear that any of such appropriations bill passed by the House would be rejected by the Senate. The result is that the US Congress ended up not passing a harmonised appropriations bill, hence the govt shutdown.

That's NOT very accurate. The House actually agreed to fund the govt. including Obamacare, but they wanted individual voluntary exemption (From the Individual Mandate), just as POTUS offered corporations via executive other. But the Senate rejected that outright. I support Obama and the Senate btw, but these are the facts. POTUS campaigned and won election twice on the this issue and "Elections have consequences".
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by emmabest2000(m): 1:27pm On Oct 01, 2013
CFCfan: The US Congress could not agree on a spending bill
The U.S. government shutdown went into effect at 12:01 a.m. ET Tuesday after lawmakers in the House and the Senate could not agree on a spending bill to fund the government.

The two sides bickered and blamed for more than a week over Obamacare, the president's signature health care law. House Republicans insisted the spending bill include anti-Obamacare amendments. Senate Democrats were just as insistent that it didn't.

Federal employees who are deemed essential will continue working. But non-essential employees will be furloughed.

Most furloughed federal workers are supposed to be out of their offices within four hours of the start of business Tuesday.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/30/politics/shutdown-showdown/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
ok but.....

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 1:31pm On Oct 01, 2013
BekeeBuAgbara: Who is to blame, Obama or the lawmakers? undecided

Blame Jonathan...
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 1:33pm On Oct 01, 2013
SniperInADiaper: lipsrsealed lipsrsealed following silently

**tip-toeing behind her shadow**
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 1:43pm On Oct 01, 2013
Opposition everywhere believe they can capture power by armtwisting the ruling party. unfortunately here in Nigeria, we are wiser than such blood sucking fools. GEJ will overcome
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 1:44pm On Oct 01, 2013
Why do we put it in another way; like ASUU goes for strike 'US Govt has gone on strike' grin
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 1:46pm On Oct 01, 2013
From the Democrat primaries that brought him into power, i've never trusted the Obama brand. I got lots of stick from collegues who felt i was unpatriotic to the black skin for always antagonising obama bt i think i cn nw recline with a bottle of vodka & smile. Rhetorics & hypnotising cliches may win you elections and make you popular, bt in the business of running a government you need to be an astute diplomat which obama grossly lacks. 20years frm nw, no one would remember what led to the shutdown, all history would remember is that the shutdown occured when a certain Obama was the president of the US

2 Likes

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 1:46pm On Oct 01, 2013
America's population will increase astronomically by June and July next year, 2014 after this shut down stuff.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

France Freezes Assets Of Russia's Central Bank Totalling 22 Billion Euros / History Is Made As Donald Trump And Kim Jong Un Meet For Their Summit / Kemi Badenoch Appointed UK Women & Equalities Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.