Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,505 members, 7,826,908 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! (21327 Views)

Ok Ww3 Has Officially Started Today The 7th Of December 2015 / U.S. Government Claims Exclusive Ownership Over Its "Invention" Of Ebola / China Blasts US Shutdown, Calls For A ‘de-americanized’ World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by moshino(m): 3:07pm On Oct 01, 2013
olrotimi: gentleman, thanks to google but do you remember what led to the BillClinton shutdown? I do remember bt history cares less. Same goes for the Obama shutdown. When Obama was riding the crest of popularity & we hailed him as the next best thng to happen to america after AbrahamLincoln we forgot that every democracy has 3 independent arms. When the house approved his 'debt limit' , 'economy stimulus', 'unemployment benefits' & other measures that brought them out of recession we didnt acknowledge the role of Congress, all we knew was that Obama had done it! Bottomline: the world doesnt reckon with whatever arms of government there are or whatever internal bickering a leader may be facing, what the world knows is that a BarrakObama is the face of the American people and not a certain MitchMcCornell or JohnBoehner

[b]First, you initially predicted that "20years frm nw, no one would remember what led to the shutdown, all history would remember is that the shutdown occured when a certain Obama was the president of the US". Now you're saying that "history cares less", which is it?. And now you're making generalizations and suppositions that are not supported by facts and history. Contrary to your assertions, the world fully understands the complexities inherent in the US federalism, and the world is acutely aware of all the major players involved and the parts they play, and so does Americans btw. That's why Obama has 49% approval rating and congress has 10%. My impetus here is not to go back-and-forth with you, but to accurately state verifiable facts. I would advise that you engage with interested parties outside your immediate geography, and personal thoughts and sensitivities, then you'll ascertain how much the world understands the complex nature of what Obama faces daily. Let me add, I'm neither republican nor democrat, I'm a pure INDEPENDENT. I voted for Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2nd, Jonhn Kerry, McCain and Obama 2nd, so go figure. I study and analyze the issues, then apply the trust factor. But it appears you just don't like Obama, and that's ok too, its your right and I respect that. But, while we are all entitled to our opinions, we are NOT entitled to our own facts, FACTS are universal verifiable truths[/b]

2 Likes

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 3:08pm On Oct 01, 2013
obadiah777: grin grin grin i give myself a C for effort

lol fair enough cool

obadiah777: on a side note let me drop some scriptures to explain the situation. very esoteric in nature so they dont appear to be directly explaining the situation but i will drop them anyway

MATTHEW 24: 29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

REVELATION 11 VS 13 And the same hour was there a great earthquake, and the tenth part of the city fell, and in the earthquake were slain of men seven thousand: and the remnant were affrighted, and gave glory to the God of heaven.

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Anniettieufia(m): 3:09pm On Oct 01, 2013
No wonder Mr. Obama sent a good will message to Nigeria @ 53,
Money will flow .
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 3:09pm On Oct 01, 2013
BekeeBuAgbara: Who is to blame, Obama or the lawmakers? undecided

Dictator Obama
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 3:10pm On Oct 01, 2013
biafranqueen: Wow your fast beat me too it grin
If this happened in 9ja the military would step in right away if you promise them pay or not.
They should tell the truth the dollar has been taking off the oil trade currency because of the massive debt, they are just sugar coating the real deal.

they are good at that. tongue

biafranqueen: Maybe soon people in Nigeria will be sending money to family in the USA and Nigeria will deny Americans Visa.

Anniettie ufia: No wonder Mr. Obama sent a good will message to Nigeria @ 53,
Money will flow .

grin grin grin
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 3:10pm On Oct 01, 2013
REALITY101:

Dictator Obama

c'mon son. undecided

obama is a puppet
he's a guppy compared to the big fishes.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by trent9002(m): 3:15pm On Oct 01, 2013
'Murica

1 Like

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 3:16pm On Oct 01, 2013
obadiah777: Kails mi nuh nuh watafigwan pon babylon but mi ah hope say you ah fi pack ya potmato redi to come kingston. hear me so ?

babylon ah fi fallin babylon ah fi fallin rasta. end times rasta cry cry
??
Hello sir! How've you been. Long time.
I'm sorry, but. You rephrase the quoted post? I no understand the thing wey you dey tok abeg.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Jbluv55(m): 3:22pm On Oct 01, 2013
*came late but following............*
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by kobonaire(m): 4:02pm On Oct 01, 2013
*Kails*:

c'mon son. undecided

obama is a puppet
he's a guppy compared to the big fishes.
and who are the "big fishes" then ?

1 Like

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by GHPATRIOT(m): 4:03pm On Oct 01, 2013
*Kails*:

Blaming any ONE politician is not fair.
Remember presidents are not the real shot callers...lol not by a long shot.
They are simply the spokesmen.

Most People think America's President has liberty to take decisions today and change or maintain it depending on his dreams or nightmare he gets when he sleeps.
America is a structured country, unlike what we have in Africa where we have weak institutions but strong men.

1 Like

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 4:06pm On Oct 01, 2013
@moshino, well said bt so much for facts. You wldnt xpect me to come up here without having my facts straight, nt in an intellectual discuss. Bt wldnt it make for a burdensome read if i stuff my posts with quotes & figures & all that? I think it wld. That said, i'm neither leaning towards GOP nor Democrats, i dare say am a non-partisan progressive like you bt i'm never one for joining a bandwagon, not even if its a free ride. I'm nt easily swayed by well articulated rhetorics or charisma of a politician, i'd rather watch & let history judge. by d way u misconstrued my use of 'history' in the last post.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by GHPATRIOT(m): 4:12pm On Oct 01, 2013
cap28:

sorry to burst your bubble but the coalition govt here in the UK are a bunch of theiving scum - they are currently privatising everythign in this country and are reducing everyone to paupers, western govts are the biggest thieves, the only reason why western populations dont revolt against them is because they live in consumer orientated economies where you can buy almost evry thing on credit and pay later with huge interest

Hahaha! I know right? But hey! Ever seen a corrupt British/Western politician invest in Africa? How about going for holidays in Africa? The 0pposite is the case in Africa. Our leaders steal and invest in the West and shamefully go for holidays in the West... I think manna is not going to fall from the sky soon, and I will not begrudge any politician who steals state money and invests and employs the youth in Africa.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 4:13pm On Oct 01, 2013
GH PATRIOT:

Most People think America's President has liberty to take decisions today and change or maintain it depending on his dreams or nightmare he gets when he sleeps.
America is a structured country, unlike what we have in Africa where we have weak institutions but strong men.
chief when you say 'strong men' do u by any means take the nigerian political institution into consideration? I dont think its any easier to be the nigerian present in 2013 than it is in the US, hence i get very -ish when some supposed learned fellows give GEJ alot of stick. How about we let results & history be the judge AFTER his tenure. Or better still lets make our voice heard @d polls & nt slander a leader's character in the media
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by GHPATRIOT(m): 4:20pm On Oct 01, 2013
InvertedHammer: /
Memos were sent out to federal employees last month warning them of the impending shut down.

The shut down wont last more than this week...it is all shakara.

Most Americans live pay check to pay check....and everything is tied to one's job--mortgage, car loans, etc.
As a matter of fact, savings are alien to most Americans.

If this goes on more than 2 weeks, expect some pop off to happen

/

So with all these problems ^^^ America still see it as logic to have a military budget running into uncountable billions? They can take care of every American if they concentrate at home and stop beign the world cop. The Europeans take care of their citizens before helping others, why can't America do same?......
And with all these^^^ our African leaders still rely on American government expertise to advice them?
(You are in competition with someone and you expect him/her to help you not to depend on him/her again?)
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by GHPATRIOT(m): 4:25pm On Oct 01, 2013
Saint Chukz: Is that a good thing?
Hian! You did not get the joke! He meant People will engage in endless s.ex during this shut down which will mean a lot of pregnant women to increase the population.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 4:33pm On Oct 01, 2013
Update: The Senate has rejected the House of Reps offer for a conference to negotiate a harmonized spending bill.

I will say President Obama is partially at fault here. He had no qualms exempting employers and labor unions from implementing parts of 'Obamacare', but is vehemently against delaying the take off of the individual mandate provision.
The Republican-dominated House sought such a delay in the 3 spending bills they sent to the Senate.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 4:39pm On Oct 01, 2013
@ GH Patriot: The last shut down lasted for 20 days in 1996, when Clinton was President and Gingrich was the Speaker of the House of Reps.

I agree with u that the US Defense budget is overbloated. I mean how on Earth can one justify spending trillions of $$ on "national security", while essentially neglecting infrastructure spending and cutting financial aid to students? That's just lunacy.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Travelista(f): 4:47pm On Oct 01, 2013
InvertedHammer: /
Memos were sent out to federal employees last month warning them of the impending shut down.

The shut down wont last more than this week...it is all shakara.

Most Americans live pay check to pay check....and everything is tied to one's job--mortgage, car loans, etc.
As a matter of fact, savings are alien to most Americans.

If this goes on more than 2 weeks, expect some pop off to happen

/

Still reading this thread but this is the realest post thus far; the rhetoric and history lessons are great but what are the consequences of the shutdown on an individual level? Today is the first and most bills have payments due by day's end; as many people (even those with huge paychecks) live check to check, a lot of people are going to be frustrated. And you know how some of our more *ahem* colorful citizens behave when they are frustrated. Drama may ensue.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 5:00pm On Oct 01, 2013
@ Travelista: You basically answered your question. Paychecks are gonna be delayed for the duration of the shut down-meaning there will be LOTS of delayed mortgage, rent and loan payments
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by solomon111(m): 5:01pm On Oct 01, 2013
Isn't it ironical that america a country at the brink of bankruptcy is unveiling a $13billion aircraft carrier capable of launching 220 missiles in 24 hours.
Where's the sense in that?
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by solomon111(m): 5:06pm On Oct 01, 2013
GH PATRIOT:

So with all these problems ^^^ America still see it as logic to have a military budget running into uncountable billions? They can take care of every American if they concentrate at home and stop beign the world cop. The Europeans take care of their citizens before helping others, why can't America do same?......
And with all these^^^ our African leaders still rely on American government expertise to advice them?
(You are in competition with someone and you expect him/her to help you not to depend on him/her again?)
True.
The american economic model is a bad example to follow.
African leaders should get wise and stop running to washington for advise.

1 Like

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by KayDee4: 5:12pm On Oct 01, 2013
CFCfan:
I meant US embassies abroad.
oops !!! ". . . . . passport offices in federal buildings " . smiley
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by KayDee4: 5:15pm On Oct 01, 2013
CFCfan: Update: The Senate has rejected the House of Reps offer for a conference to negotiate a harmonized spending bill.

I will say President Obama is partially at fault here. He had no qualms exempting employers and labor unions from implementing parts of 'Obamacare', but is vehemently against delaying the take off of the individual mandate provision.
The Republican-dominated House sought such a delay in the 3 spending bills they sent to the Senate.

The individual mandate is the "engine" of Obamacare; delaying it is equivalent to delaying the entire law. I seriously thought the employers part was the main cause of the repubs grouse with the law but clearly, they are not satisfied with its postponement.

Meanwhile, the same conference that dems have been chasing the repubs for, for months is what they are hustlin' for now.

It's a crazy mess up there in Washington.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 5:17pm On Oct 01, 2013
solomon111: Isn't it ironical that america a country at the brink of bankruptcy is unveiling a $13billion aircraft carrier capable of launching 220 missiles in 24 hours.
Where's the sense in that?

It's so silly! Later the federal politicians will say there is not enough money for social programs.
Having said that, the US economy is partially dependent on Defense spending. The top Defense contractors-Boeing, Northrup Grumman etc directly and indirectly employ millions of people, and their production materials are sourced from nearly all the 50 states.
Therefore no Rep or Senator would dare introduce a bill that would cause his/her state to lose some part of the economic pie that the Defense contractors provide.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by GHPATRIOT(m): 5:20pm On Oct 01, 2013
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by manny4life(m): 5:23pm On Oct 01, 2013
CFCfan: @ GH Patriot: The last shut down lasted for 20 days in 1996, when Clinton was President and Gingrich was the Speaker of the House of Reps.

I agree with u that the US Defense budget is overbloated. I mean how on Earth can one justify spending trillions of $$ on "national security", while essentially neglecting infrastructure spending and cutting financial aid to students? That's just lunacy.

Welcome to America, Defense budget remains the single large budget item representing double digits. Abeg, the only thing left is to hustle your way out of this country o, I don talk am... America is surviving on that thin line, and they will use war and intimidation to regain relevance again, and YES, at all cost.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 5:25pm On Oct 01, 2013
Kay-Dee:

The individual mandate is the "engine" of Obamacare; delaying it is equivalent to delaying the entire law. I seriously thought the employers part was the main cause of the repubs grouse with the law but clearly, they are not satisfied with its postponement.Meanwhile, the same conference that dems have been chasing the repubs for, for months is what they are hustlin' for now. It's a crazy mess up there in Washington.

I tell ya. The Republican Reps are scared of being primaried by more conservative, Tea Party types, that's why they continue to litigate the 'Obamacare' law. The Tea Party Reps have voted 37 times to repeal the law, but of course such measures have always died in the Senate.
Remember that members of Congress have a re-election rate of 90%; so the obstructionists know that if they win their primaries, they have virtually clinched an additional term.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by GHPATRIOT(m): 5:26pm On Oct 01, 2013
CORRUPTION IN THE MILITARY
PROCUREMENT PROCESS: MCCAIN
WEIGHS IN

read more here»»»
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by GHPATRIOT(m): 5:26pm On Oct 01, 2013
solomon111: True.
The american economic model is a bad example to follow.
African leaders should get wise and stop running to washington for advise.

Gbam! That is why China has forced labour camps which can be compared to forced labour of African slaves in America to propelled their economy. So until African governments adopt such a system I feel they should ignore the advice from IMF/World Bank and trade among each other.

1 Like

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 5:28pm On Oct 01, 2013
manny4life:

Welcome to America, Defense budget remains the single large budget item representing double digits. Abeg, the only thing left is to hustle your way out of this country o, I don talk am... America is surviving on that thin line, and they will use war and intimidation to regain relevance again, and YES, at all cost.

Another crucial thing that is sustaining the US economy is that it is the world's reserve currency. Without such a status, America would have been in a masssive depression.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by gebest: 5:34pm On Oct 01, 2013
Thank God, d bill 'obamacare' is mark of d beast, God must ve people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

California’s Deadliest Wildfire Finally Tamed / France Freezes Assets Of Russia's Central Bank Totalling 22 Billion Euros / History Is Made As Donald Trump And Kim Jong Un Meet For Their Summit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.