Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,528 members, 7,826,981 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! (21328 Views)

Ok Ww3 Has Officially Started Today The 7th Of December 2015 / U.S. Government Claims Exclusive Ownership Over Its "Invention" Of Ebola / China Blasts US Shutdown, Calls For A ‘de-americanized’ World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by topstar80(m): 1:51pm On Oct 01, 2013
End time tinz on point !!!!
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by cap28: 1:56pm On Oct 01, 2013
manny4life:

My days are numbered in this country, whether Democrats and Republicans disagree, when the time comes, it will hit everyone. Sometimes I wish citizens can recall their reps and senators because these guys are no different from the ones in Nigeria who earn money, live in the best houses, have the best healthcare but don't give two fuccks about the average Joe who work to keep the govt functioning.

The Debt ceiling will be a tough battle, one that will make or break the U.S., everyone is anticipating it because the right wingers are full of shitt. They can afford to spend more than $8billion funding Bush's war but when the economy is in a sink hole, they rather defund education and healthcare and award their cronies in defense billions of $$$ in contracts.

I'm sorry, I know I'm going off tangent, but forgive my bickering... I'm just pissed.
alleluia! so you've awoken from your slumber at last!!!
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 1:57pm On Oct 01, 2013
lol just had a debate about this with my fam.
but really though, i'm surprised that some folks are surprised let alone outraged.

1 Like

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 1:57pm On Oct 01, 2013
I thought GEJ was the most uninspiring & uncharismatic leader today, now i know better. Som1 said appoval ratings of congress is 10%, my broda thats phantom. The american people put the hope and destiny of the nation on one man, the man who won elections not by pedigree but off the back of strong cliches.....they have been disappointed. Forget the government sponsored propaganda [ReubeAbati has done better] , bt if you want to know where the blame truly lies, wait till the novermber 2014 mid-term elections. After the media chat, we all castigated poor GEJ for shifting blame cos he is the president of Naijeriya, i think Obama has rili played the blame game far worse. Lets put it squarely, OBAMA FAILED THIS TIME
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Horus(m): 1:57pm On Oct 01, 2013
CFCfan:
Well, the lawmakers share most of the blame. The US House of Representatives, which is controlled by the Republicans, refused to authorize any appropriations bill that would fund the Affordable Care Act a.k.a 'Obamacare'. The House passed 3 spending bills which specifically called for the defunding of 'Obamacare'.
On the other hand, Obama and Senate Democrats made it clear that any of such appropriations bill passed by the House would be rejected by the Senate. The result is that the US Congress ended up not passing a harmonised appropriations bill, hence the govt shutdown.

All 535 members of Congress should be fired!

1 Like

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by size38: 2:01pm On Oct 01, 2013
If this kind thing happen for naija, we for don hear Anti GEJ, Anti this and that
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 2:02pm On Oct 01, 2013
olrotimi: I thought GEJ was the most uninspiring & uncharismatic leader today, now i know better. Som1 said appoval ratings of congress is 10%, my broda thats phantom. The american people put the hope and destiny of the nation on one man, the man who won elections not by pedigree but off the back of strong cliches.....they have been disappointed. Forget the government sponsored propaganda [ReubeAbati has done better] , bt if you want to know where the blame truly lies, wait till the novermber 2014 mid-term elections. After the media chat, we all castigated poor GEJ for shifting blame cos he is the president of Naijeriya, i think Obama has rili played the blame game far worse. Lets put it squarely, OBAMA FAILED THIS TIME

Blaming any ONE politician is not fair.
Remember presidents are not the real shot callers...lol not by a long shot.
They are simply the spokesmen.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 2:03pm On Oct 01, 2013
Horus:

All 535 members of Congress should be fired!

Heheh..imagine America practicing TRUE democracy.

#inOURdreams grin
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by moshino(m): 2:04pm On Oct 01, 2013
olrotimi: From the Democrat primaries that brought him into power, i've never trusted the Obama brand. I got lots of stick from collegues who felt i was unpatriotic to the black skin for always antagonising obama bt i think i cn nw recline with a bottle of vodka & smile. Rhetorics & hypnotising cliches may win you elections and make you popular, bt in the business of running a government you need to be an astute diplomat which obama grossly lacks. 20years frm nw, no one would remember what led to the shutdown, all history would remember is that the shutdown occured when a certain Obama was the president of the US

[b]Government shut-downs did NOT start under Obama. It also happened under Clinton, and infact when Tip Oneil was speaker, the Govt shut down 12 times (how much of it do you remember today?), so much for your history predictions. Obamacare is the law of the land. Obama campaigned on this twice and won twice. Republicans litigated this issue all the way to the US supreme court, and Obama still won, now republicans wants to gut it through the backdoor, it won't work. "Elections have consequences". Again, as I'm sure you know, each of the 3 arms of govt has it's own constitutional duty. By law, appropriation bill MUST originate from the HOR. Obama's job (Executive) is to execute the law. From the day Obama was sworn into office, Mitch McConnell (The republican senate leader) stated that "their number one job is to ensure that Obama fails", and so followed all other republicans. Obama was the first POTUS in modern history that was interrupted and called a liar (by a republican) while giving a state-of-the -union address, that's how much they wanted to work with him. In his first year, he bent over backwards to work/negotiate with the republicans, and got nothing for it. It was obvious the republicans (especially the Tea Baggers) could NOT fathom a Black man as president. I could go on, but chew on this for now.[/b]

4 Likes

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Krisddon: 2:07pm On Oct 01, 2013
The shut down had begun but the republicans had quickly voted to reaffirm their support so it was averted.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Horus(m): 2:09pm On Oct 01, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQJ3DC-AM3c?t=24s

President Obama On Military Government Shutdown - Crisis Begins!
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by nasonaso: 2:11pm On Oct 01, 2013
@ manny. pple i respect on nairaland that r intellectuals manny, javanian, slyox u guys make me thinking r u guys from this world . I have a high regard 4 u guys
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by cap28: 2:14pm On Oct 01, 2013
GH PATRIOT:

Yes! I know in Africa coalition governments means coalition thievery, the 0pposite is the case in Britain, Germany, Australia & Israel.
A coalition government exists because not a single party was able to win seats to form a government and as such must negotiate with other parties with different priorities.

Germany: The Greens party's main concern is to protect the natural resources, increase agriculture and to kick against anything that will harm the country's farmers among others. Such a party cannot go into coalition with a party that plans to give tax reliefs to company's that will undermine farmers.... I don't recall when but a coalition party member kicked against Germany's intelligence act that sought to compel telco's to record & store customers call for upto 3mnths before its deleted.

Australia: The majority in parliament needed only two seats to form a government, the 0nly (3)seats available were that of Independents, and they promised the two independents of making their constituencies be the first to benefit from the government funded subsidised internet data.

Israel: This system assures that no one party can ever be a majority because of the proportionality system. The hawkish right and left wing parties never form a government together, because its bound to fail.

Anyways, @B0ld3d...... I doubt it, because Obama was clear, unless the FBI & CIA are subunits of the Pentagon, then I don't see them geting their paycheck.

sorry to burst your bubble but the coalition govt here in the UK are a bunch of theiving scum - they are currently privatising everythign in this country and are reducing everyone to paupers, western govts are the biggest thieves, the only reason why western populations dont revolt against them is because they live in consumer orientated economies where you can buy almost evry thing on credit and pay later with huge interest

1 Like

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by KKImoh: 2:17pm On Oct 01, 2013
manny4life:

You try, what makes them different from Department of State, Justice or Defense employees?

Abeg, there's nothing "top" about them, granted some of their department are critical to national security, but I can assure you for instance, their administrative, finance, maintenance, IT, etc. departments aren't critical so they're going home.
can u explain what this is all about
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by KKImoh: 2:21pm On Oct 01, 2013
olrotimi: From the Democrat primaries that brought him into power, i've never trusted the Obama brand. I got lots of stick from collegues who felt i was unpatriotic to the black skin for always antagonising obama bt i think i cn nw recline with a bottle of vodka & smile. Rhetorics & hypnotising cliches may win you elections and make you popular, bt in the business of running a government you need to be an astute diplomat which obama grossly lacks. 20years frm nw, no one would remember what led to the shutdown, all history would remember is that the shutdown occured when a certain Obama was the president of the US
can u xplain what diz p.shutdown is all about? I dnt get da gist.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by manny4life(m): 2:25pm On Oct 01, 2013
K.K Imoh:

K.K Imoh:

I will give you a detailed explanation so hang on
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by InvertedHammer: 2:26pm On Oct 01, 2013
/
Memos were sent out to federal employees last month warning them of the impending shut down.

The shut down wont last more than this week...it is all shakara.

Most Americans live pay check to pay check....and everything is tied to one's job--mortgage, car loans, etc.
As a matter of fact, savings are alien to most Americans.

If this goes on more than 2 weeks, expect some pop off to happen

/

3 Likes

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by HezronLorraine(m): 2:29pm On Oct 01, 2013
People are pitching protest in major commercial centres.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by manny4life(m): 2:30pm On Oct 01, 2013
The "Shutdown" process is a situation whereby the govt cannot perform it's statutory functions because the appropriated budget for the fiscal year hasn't been passed. When a budget hasn't been passed (both houses has to assent to it) and signed by the president, it falls in limbo and as a result, technically, the FG cannot pay its bills. The fiscal year for the U.S. Govt ends on September 30th and the new year starts on Oct 1st, however, the 2014 appropriation budget is in limbo partly due to Obamacare (read SCOTUS Decision).

Implication

When the govt shuts down, due to it cannot pay it's bill, ALL employees (Federal and Trust) employees who aren't deemed critical must exit all govt buildings. It first starts with govt buildings being closed, employees are to be out of work (temporary leave), unless you're deemed critical and/or, you do not work in a federal building then you're safe. As identified by OPM (Office of Personnel Management), critical employees are these employees who's jobs entail high security of persons, animals, properties, collections, etc. These workers are deemed really critical to the core operation of the agency they work for.

For instance, security guards of the National Parks and Service are critical because they have to protect U.S. property. Animal Keepers of the Zoo are critical because they have to feed the animals daily, art curators who take care and preserve the U.S. history documents are deemed critical. TSA agents at the airports are critical, in aviation, Air Traffic Controllers are deemed critical and the list continues.

I hope you understand now.

2 Likes

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by SaintChukz(m): 2:30pm On Oct 01, 2013
kaorama: America's population will increase astronomically by June and July next year, 2014 after this shut down stuff.
Is that a good thing?
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 2:34pm On Oct 01, 2013
moshino:

[b]Government shut-downs did NOT start under Obama. It also happened under Clinton, and infact when Tip Oneil was speaker, the Govt shut down 12 times (how much of it do you remember today?), so much for your history predictions. Obamacare is the law of the land. Obama campaigned on this twice and won twice. Republicans litigated this issue all the way to the US supreme court, and Obama still won, now republicans wants to gut it through the backdoor, it won't work. "Elections have consequences". Again, as I'm sure you know, each of the 3 arms of govt has it's own constitutional duty. By law, appropriation bill MUST originate from the HOR. Obama's job (Executive) is to execute the law. From the day Obama was sworn into office, Mitch McConnell (The republican senate leader) stated that "their number one job is to ensure that Obama fails", and so followed all other republicans. Obama was the first POTUS in modern history that was interrupted and called a liar (by a republican) while giving a state-of-the -union address, that's how much they wanted to work with him. In his first year, he bent over backwards to work/negotiate with the republicans, and got nothing for it. It was obvious the republicans (especially the Tea Baggers) could NOT fathom a Black man as president. I could go on, but chew on this for now.[/b]
gentleman, thanks to google but do you remember what led to the BillClinton shutdown? I do remember bt history cares less. Same goes for the Obama shutdown. When Obama was riding the crest of popularity & we hailed him as the next best thng to happen to america after AbrahamLincoln we forgot that every democracy has 3 independent arms. When the house approved his 'debt limit', 'economy stimulus', 'unemployment benefits' & other measures that brought them out of recession we didnt acknowledge the role of Congress, all we knew was that Obama had done it! Bottomline: the world doesnt reckon with whatever arms of government there are or whatever internal bickering a leader may be facing, what the world knows is that a BarrakObama is the face of the American people and not a certain MitchMcCornell or JohnBoehner
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 2:35pm On Oct 01, 2013
moshino:

gentleman, thanks to google but do you remember what led to the BillClinton shutdown? I do remember bt history cares less. Same goes for the Obama shutdown. When Obama was riding the crest of popularity & we hailed him as the next best thng to happen to america after AbrahamLincoln we forgot that every democracy has 3 independent arms. When the house approved his 'debt limit' , 'economy stimulus', 'unemployment benefits' & other measures that brought them out of recession we didnt acknowledge the role of Congress, all we knew was that Obama had done it! Bottomline: the world doesnt reckon with whatever arms of government there are or whatever internal bickering a leader may be facing, what the world knows is that a BarrakObama is the face of the American people and not a certain MitchMcCornell or JohnBoehner
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by neyobillz: 2:46pm On Oct 01, 2013
Here’s a list of what you likely can and can’t do during a government shutdown. l be adding to the list; if you know of something ive left off,pls feel free to add to it
During a shutdown, you can:

Get help from 911: All emergency services will continue as usual, including law enforcement and emergency and disaster assistance.

Get caught by a red light camera in D.C.: Red light cameras will still be running, and tickets will still be sent out, which brings us to the next item on the list....

Get mail: Employees of the United States Postal Service are exempt from furloughs.

Get your Social Security benefits: Payments will still be issued, although some could be delayed due to a reduction in workforce.

Get a passport, probably: The Bureau of Consular Affairs is funded by fees rather than appropriated funds, so it will continue to operate, a spokesperson tells NBC Washington. However, some State Department passport offices are located in federal buildings that may have to shut down, so you should check to see if your preferred passport office is open before visiting.

Sign up for healthcare exchanges: Despite the GOP's attempts to defund or delay the Affordable Care Act, the plan is already funded, and online healthcare exchanges are scheduled to open Tuesday for uninsured Americans. (Read more.)

Get your trash picked up, even if you live in D.C.: Even if Mayor Vincent Gray's attempt to declare all city workers essential is rejected, the district has about two weeks' worth of money on hand already authorized by Congress, which might be enough to wait out a fairly brief shutdown.

Be protected by the U.S. military: All active-duty military personnel are exempt from furloughs, and Congress has approved a measure to continue to pay troops on time.

Ride Amtrak: While Amtrak receives federal subsidies, it's organized as a corporation and collects enough revenue in ticket fees to outlast a brief shutdown.

Take Metrorail and Metrobus: Metro assured riders Monday that the system would stay open in the event of a shutdown, although it could shorten some trains (for example, from eight cars to six) if ridership is down because fewer people are going to work.

Travel by air: Federal air traffic controllers and most TSA agents would continue showing up to work, although you may find some longer lines at security checkpoints.

Apply for a new patent: The U.S Patent Office is funded for the next four weeks, which should be enough to outlast any government shutdown.

Safely eat meat: Meat inspectors with the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) will continue to report to work because they're essential for public safety.

Learn about the unemployment rate: The September jobs report will be released Friday.

Get an unemployment check: Checks will still be sent out, although some payments may be delayed due to a reduction in workforce.

Get food stamps: Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits will continue to be distributed.

Pay taxes: All tax payments will continue to be processed. Note that millions of taxpayers have requested 6-month extensions on their 2012 tax filings, and that the deadline for that is Oct. 15. That deadline is not expected to change.

Get weather warnings and watches: All National Weather Service offices will be open and will continue to provide forecasts and severe weather alerts.

During a shutdown, you can't:

Apply for new Medicare or Social Security benefits: While current recipients will continue to receive payments, a reduction in staff would mean no new applications can be processed.

Visit the Capitol: While the Capitol will remain open for congressional matters, it will be closed to visitors.

Get a new small business loan: Existing loans would be honored, but new applications would not be accepted.

Go to the Smithsonian or National Zoo: About 90 percent of the museums' 6,400 workers will be furloughed, with all museums and the zoo to be closed. The animals will still get fed, but visitors won't be around to see that.

Camp in a national park: All national parks -- from Yosemite to Shenandoah National Park -- will close, and day visitors will have to leave immediately. (But longer-term campers already in parks will have two days to leave.)

Visit a Civil War Battlefield: Like national parks, historic battlefields will be closed.

Watch the Zoo's Panda Cam: We know -- in the event of a government shutdown, there are more important things for many people to worry about. But D.C.'s first panda cub in years was a cause for celebration around the region, and huge numbers of fans have flocked to the Panda Cam since the cub's birth in August.

Visit the monuments: D.C.'s monuments are under control of the National Park Service, which means tourists wouldn't get to visit sites such as the Lincoln, World War II or Franklin Delano Roosevelt memorials. The NPS will begin turning off fountains and blocking entrances early Tuesday in the event of a shutdown.

Check the legal work status of an employee: The E-Verify system allows employers across the country to check on immigration status, but it's a federal website, which means it would be shut down.

Continue to be audited: The IRS will suspend audit activities. (They will begin again as soon as the government shutdown is over.)

Go rowing, if you're part of a crew team that uses a boathouse on federal land: Many local high school teams use boathouses on the Anacostia and Potomac rivers, but access would be cut off in the event of a shutdown.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 2:47pm On Oct 01, 2013
Saint Chukz: Is that a good thing?

for the government.
they will tax them like crazy, however things will become more scarce for the average citizen.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 2:51pm On Oct 01, 2013
*Kails*:
lol just had a debate about this with my fam.
but really though, i'm surprised that some folks are surprised let alone outraged.
Kails mi nuh nuh watafigwan pon babylon but mi ah hope say you ah fi pack ya potmato redi to come kingston. hear me so ?

babylon ah fi fallin babylon ah fi fallin rasta. end times rasta cry cry

2 Likes

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by ajasa4link: 2:52pm On Oct 01, 2013
This thread is richly educative, kudos to the contributors...Now I understand the US system better
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 2:55pm On Oct 01, 2013
*Kails*:

Blaming any ONE politician is not fair.
Remember presidents are not the real shot callers...lol not by a long shot.
They are simply the spokesmen.
so much for blaming GEJ for nigeria's woes. If half of nairalanders reason like you Sir, i think NL would be a reference point for GEJ'S special advisers. Un42nately, that would never be, thanks mate.

1 Like

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 2:57pm On Oct 01, 2013
obadiah777: Kails mi nuh nuh watafigwan pon babylon but mi ah hope say you ah fi pack ya potmato redi to come kingston. hear me so ?

babylon ah fi fallin babylon ah fi fallin rasta. end times rasta cry cry

lmao@ red
lol which kain language b dis? tongue grin

#epicpatoisfail grin grin

but on a serious note i don't get the surprised reactions lol.
America is a corpse already and has been for a long time.

1 Like

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 2:57pm On Oct 01, 2013
olrotimi: so much for blaming GEJ for nigeria's woes. If half of nairalanders reason like you Sir, i think NL would be a reference point for GEJ'S special advisers. Un42nately, that would never be, thanks mate.

No problemo!! cool cool
I appreciate that!

btw I am a woman cool grin
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 2:58pm On Oct 01, 2013
neyobillz: Continue to be audited: The IRS will suspend audit activities. (They will begin again as soon as the government shutdown is over.)

grin grin grin grin

like i said, it's business as usual really.
Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 2:59pm On Oct 01, 2013
on a side note let me drop some scriptures to explain the situation. very esoteric in nature so they dont appear to be directly explaining the situation but i will drop them anyway

MATTHEW 24: 29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

REVELATION 11 VS 13 And the same hour was there a great earthquake, and the tenth part of the city fell, and in the earthquake were slain of men seven thousand: and the remnant were affrighted, and gave glory to the God of heaven.

1 Like

Re: The U.S. Government Has Officially Shutdown!! by Nobody: 3:01pm On Oct 01, 2013
*Kails*:

lmao@ red
lol which kain language b dis? tongue grin

#epicpatoisfail grin grin

but on a serious note i don't get the surprised reactions lol.
America is a corpse already and has been for a long time.

grin grin grin i give myself a C for effort

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

France Freezes Assets Of Russia's Central Bank Totalling 22 Billion Euros / History Is Made As Donald Trump And Kim Jong Un Meet For Their Summit / Kemi Badenoch Appointed UK Women & Equalities Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.