Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,971 members, 7,821,403 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:29 PM

Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan (4737 Views)

Fashola Condemns Attacks On Jonathan / Governor Fashola Condemns Military Attack On BRT / Fashola Condemns Blocking Of Major Roads During Dame Patience's Visit To Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Nobody: 11:45pm On Oct 01, 2013
malc619:

I thought Afam was dense....

grin grin
Do these guys know how easy it is to Google stuff ure unsure about instead of pretending to know it all? To imagine these are the kind of people one sometimes joins issues with. Smh Wow...
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by seanet02: 11:45pm On Oct 01, 2013
Nigeria became a sovereign nation in 1914?
This is the most ignorant assertion i have ever seen.
Maybe you don't even understand what 'sovereign' means?
Billyonaire: FASHOLA IS IGNORANT HERE.

NIGERIA BECAME SOVEREIGN NATION IN 1914
BUT GOT HER INDEPENDENCE 1960

WITHOUT 1914 THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO 1960 SO 1914 GAVE US IDENTITY AND IS A GREAT TIME IN HISTORY.

I CELEBRATE......
I JUBILATE.........
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by braine(m): 11:48pm On Oct 01, 2013
As for me, I know no 1914• Its 1960 I was told that Nigeria became a nation• Thank you•

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by malc619(m): 11:50pm On Oct 01, 2013
kingoflag: Do these guys know how easy it is to Google stuff ure unsure about instead of pretending to know it all? To imagine these are the kind of people one sometimes joins issues with. Smh Wow...

The thing tire me ooo.

Explaining to some of these dudes is like trying to describe colors to one born blind...

1 Like

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Afam4eva(m): 11:51pm On Oct 01, 2013
The ignorance on this thread is mind bugging. A lot of Nigerians have been mis-educated. I even heard an ignorant newscaster calling October 1st 1960, Nigeria's birthday.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by malc619(m): 11:52pm On Oct 01, 2013
seanet02: Nigeria became a sovereign nation in 1914?
This is the most ignorant assertion i have ever seen.
Maybe you don't even understand what 'sovereign' means?

Classic Ignoramus..... That's BillyBoy for you...

grin
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by seanet02: 12:03am On Oct 02, 2013
I think you are the one suffering from abject ignorance.
Afam4eva: The ignorance on this thread is mind bugging. A lot of Nigerians have been mis-educated. I even heard an ignorant newscaster calling October 1st 1960, Nigeria's birthday.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by braine(m): 12:07am On Oct 02, 2013
Afam4eva: The ignorance on this thread is mind bugging. A lot of Nigerians have been mis-educated. I even heard an ignorant newscaster calling October 1st 1960, Nigeria's birthday.

Celebrating 1914 is like celebrating the time a child was conceived rather than when it was born• Come on man•

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by MayorofLagos(m): 12:12am On Oct 02, 2013
The circumstances might be different at the moment but I would like to end with words spoken by a great statesman, the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo, in 1967, at another time when our country was at a crossroads: ‘Only a peaceful solution must be found to arrest the present worsening stalemate and restore normalcy.”“I adopt those evergreen words as my own today and urge all those involved in any form of conflict or disagreement to pursue peaceful solutions,” he stated.

Even Awolowo, whose words mean so much to Fashola kept his distance from nationalism, preferring instead regional self rule. So why is my Governor such a strong advocate for national unity and community?

1 Like

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by MayorofLagos(m): 12:22am On Oct 02, 2013
zomby: Abeg, Oga Fashola stop wasting your time.

Nigeria has absolutely nothing to celebrate @ 20, 30, 40, 45, 50 or 53.

All our leaders (current or past) should be ashamed of themselves, in fact each of them should get 53 lashes for turning a great nation into a very large inexpensive latrine.

It makes no sense to even bother to figure out which history one should acknowledge; whether we should celebrate 1914 or 1960, it doesn't matter. The whole thing is f00lish.

As long as a very large percentage of Nigerian citizens continues to live in poverty, no jobs, no constant electric power, poor water supply, zero security, bad roads, corruption from the top to the bottom and weak education/medical system, Nigeria will continue to be a very large inexpensive latrine that is also full of human waste (sh1t).
And very very soon (even with flashy life style and range rovers) Nigerians will no longer be respected anywhere around the world.

Today is a sad day for Nigeria and Nigerians.

Shame on each and everyone of us.

Good point! It makes no fvkng difference whether you celebrate amalgamation or independence, our togetherness is a poison thats killing the individual parts....give self rule back to the regions and downsize the center, period! We are not interested in a continued union at the center. The people should find their union in ethnic independence, not in Nigerian independence, whether you call that 100yr old or 53yr old.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Afam4eva(m): 12:33am On Oct 02, 2013
braine:

Celebrating 1914 is like celebrating the time a child was conceived rather than when it was born• Come on man•
So, what's the difference between been conceived and being Born. I think you mean to say Reborn.
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Desola(f): 12:38am On Oct 02, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:

Even Awolowo, whose words mean so much to Fashola kept his distance from nationalism, preferring instead regional self rule. So why is my Governor such a strong advocate for national unity and community?

Hmmm... What to do about that boy, Fashola?
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by jmaine: 12:43am On Oct 02, 2013
All depends on what angle we chose to dwell on . . . . As for me , it is irrefutable that Nigeria and 1914 are inseperable. . . . . .
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Brimmie(m): 12:44am On Oct 02, 2013
Afam4eva:
So, what's the difference between been conceived and being Born. I think you mean to say Reborn.

Ok let me help you Kiddo..

Conceiving is like when something is Forming.. So Conceived is when something is Formed! Like when a Spermatozoa is formed!
Let's just say Foetus!

So Born is the final stage of Development.

But Afam your Teacher at Creche and Elementary School did a Good Job!! As-in your level of Comprehension is so fvcking Poor and Annoying!

SMH at Billy!

See NairaLand Moderator!

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Afam4eva(m): 12:50am On Oct 02, 2013
jmaine: it is irrefutable that Nigeria and 1914 are inseperable. . . . . .
GBAMEST
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by AZeD1(m): 12:51am On Oct 02, 2013
Billyonaire: FASHOLA IS IGNORANT HERE.

NIGERIA BECAME SOVEREIGN NATION IN 1914
BUT GOT HER INDEPENDENCE 1960

WITHOUT 1914 THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO 1960 SO 1914 GAVE US IDENTITY AND IS A GREAT TIME IN HISTORY.

I CELEBRATE......
I JUBILATE.........
With all your billions, you can't afford to buy a dictionary?

6 Likes

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Afam4eva(m): 12:52am On Oct 02, 2013
Brimmie:

Ok let me help you Kiddo..

Conceiving is like when something is Forming.. So Conceived is when something is Formed! Like when a Spermatozoa is formed!
Let's just say Foetus!

So Born is the final stage of Development.

But Afam your Teacher at Creche and Elementary School did a Good Job!! As-in your level of Comprehension is so fvcking Poor and Annoying!

SMH at Billy!

See NairaLand Moderator!
Who's talking biology? When a man tells you his wife has conceived, it means his wife has put to bird or that he wife don born pikin.

I wonder how you found your way to this section.
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Katsumoto: 12:55am On Oct 02, 2013

What birthday does the United States celebrate? The birth of the first colony in 1607 or the amalgamation of the 13 colonies (1733) or the declaration of Independence in 1776?

Secondly, should Southern Cameroon also celebrate the Amalgamation of 1914 since it was part of Nigeria in 1914?

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Afam4eva(m): 12:59am On Oct 02, 2013
Katsumoto:

What birthday does the United States celebrate? The birth of the first colony in 1607 or the amalgamation of the 13 colonies (1733) or the declaration of Independence in 1776?

Secondly, should Southern Cameroon also celebrate the Amalgamation of 1914 since it was part of Nigeria in 1914?
I don't know much about how the US came to be. Maybe you can help us.

Why should Southern-Cameroon celebrate Nigeria's amalgamation when it's no longer part of Nigeria.
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by AZeD1(m): 12:59am On Oct 02, 2013
Afam4eva:
Who's talking biology? When a man tells you his wife has conceived, it means his wife has put to bird or that he wife don born pikin.

I wonder how you found your way to this section.
Conceive

to form (a notion, opinion, purpose, etc.): He conceived the project while he was on vacation.
to form a notion or idea of; imagine.
to hold as an opinion; think; believe: I can't conceive that it would be of any use.
to experience or form (a feeling): to conceive a great love for music.

verb (used without object)
to form an idea; think (usually followed by of ).
to become pregnant.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Nobody: 1:03am On Oct 02, 2013
So many ignorant people on Nairaland here. Northern Protectorate and Southern Protectorates were amalgamated in 1914, thats when Nigeria became a Nation although a colony of Britain. 1960 is when Nigeria got Independence from Britain but her sovereignty was established in 1914.

Any other assertions is bullshit.
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Afam4eva(m): 1:05am On Oct 02, 2013
A-ZeD:

Conceive

to form (a notion, opinion, purpose, etc.): He conceived the project while he was on vacation.
to form a notion or idea of; imagine.
to hold as an opinion; think; believe: I can't conceive that it would be of any use.
to experience or form (a feeling): to conceive a great love for music.

verb (used without object)
to form an idea; think (usually followed by of ).
to become pregnant.

Though you're right and i'm not disputing the original meaning, but it depends on the context that you're using the word. I could use "Concieve" to replace born dependind on what i'm talking about.

Anyway, i don't even know what bearing the word has on my original assertion.
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Afam4eva(m): 1:06am On Oct 02, 2013
Billyonaire: So many ignorant people on Nairaland here. Northern Protectorate and Southern Protectorates were amalgamated in 1914, thats when Nigeria became a Nation was got her Sovereignty although a colony of Britain. 1960 is when Nigeria got Independence from Britain but her sovereignty was established in 1914.

Any other assertions is bullshit.
You can't be sovereign and still be getting orders from Britain. The whole idea of sovereignty is that there's no external interference in a country's affairs.

Though i agree with your other assertion.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Nobody: 1:07am On Oct 02, 2013
A-ZeD:

With all your billions, you can't afford to buy a dictionary?
The dictionaries quote me and not the other way round
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Nobody: 1:08am On Oct 02, 2013
Afam4eva:
You can't be sovereign and still be getting orders from Britain. The whole idea of sovereignty is that there's no external interference in a country's affairs.

Though i agree with your other assertion.
Yes you can.. there are sovereign colonies.
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Afam4eva(m): 1:09am On Oct 02, 2013
Billyonaire: Yes you can.. there are sovereign colonies.
But if the colony gets orders from outside, it can't be said to be sovereign.
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Nobody: 1:11am On Oct 02, 2013
1914 is rather a more important date that 1960 to me. 1960 is when we decided to rule ourselves and its been hell. 1914 gave us identity.
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Nobody: 1:13am On Oct 02, 2013
Afam4eva:
But if the colony gets orders from outside, it can't be said to be sovereign.
Independence and Sovereignty are 2 different things. A people can be sovereign yet dependent politically.
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by MayorofLagos(m): 1:27am On Oct 02, 2013
Guys, what did we not have, that through the amalgamation of 1914 we were blessed with?
Likewise, what did we lack, that through the independence of 1960 we have since acquired?

This is the bottom line when we think of our current and future situations.
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Nobody: 1:39am On Oct 02, 2013
See ignorance at its finest!

Some old dude with hairy nut sack doesnt know the meaning of sovereignty nd its application? My gawd!

This is a major disgrace!

1914 is only relevant as regards uniting the Northern and Southern protectorates - this only set the stage for '1960 Nigeria'. Pretty much irrelevant and not worth celebrating - it is like acknowledging British imperialist and self-serving move to be a 'good' deed.

1960 remains the koko.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Nobody: 1:42am On Oct 02, 2013
Billyonaire: Independence and Sovereignty are 2 different things. A people can be sovereign yet dependent politically.

Politically dependent means the people/country lack sovereignty.

Infact, the political aspect of a nation is its backbone of sovereignty.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Afam4eva(m): 2:52am On Oct 02, 2013
9jacrip: relevant as regards uniting the Northern and Southern protectorates - this only set the stage for '1960 Nigeria'. Pretty much irrelevant and not worth celebrating - it is like acknowledging British imperialist and self-serving move to be a 'good' deed.

1960 remains the koko.

When the Northern and Southern protectorate were amalgamated, did they wait till 1960 to call it Nigeria? What changed in 1960 apart from the change in guard.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Gov. Shettima Visits Fashola / PDP Leading As INEC Resumes Collation Of Rivers Governorship Election Results / They Messed With The Wrong Governor Nasir Rufai Tweets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.