Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:05 AM

Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan (4728 Views)

Fashola Condemns Attacks On Jonathan / Governor Fashola Condemns Military Attack On BRT / Fashola Condemns Blocking Of Major Roads During Dame Patience's Visit To Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by abu12: 8:51pm On Oct 01, 2013
As Nigeria marks 53rd independence anniversary, Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State has condemned the plan by the Federal Government to celebrate the Centenary of the amalgamation in 1914 of the disparate ethnic groups by a British colonialist, describing it as a distortion of history.
Fashola, who spoke to newsmen shortly after the Independence parade at the Police College, Ikeja, Lagos, Southwest Nigeria today said the birth of the nation dated back to 1 October, 1960 and not in 1914.
[b]“For me, Nigeria was born as an independent sovereign nation on the first of October 1960. perhaps, she was conceived in 1914, but as we race towards this, it is important not to distort history, I would seek better understanding, better explanation by those who are behind the centenary celebration because if we rolled out the drums three years ago to celebrate 50 years of Nigeria’s nationhood, Independence that we fought for, people went to jail for, what is then this centenary suddenly about because I don’t remember as a child ever coming out at amalgamation day and suddenly, how did we get to 100?
“Did we do 99, did we do 50, did we do 60? So there is something wrong here. I don’t know, but I will like clarifications. A generation is coming behind us, they need to be clear about the history of our country and as I said, maybe conception of Nigeria took place in 1914, but it is the birthday, the date of birth of a child that we celebrate and I think that birthday is October first 1960,” he stated.
[/b]
Speaking during the parade, the governor appealed for peace across the nation, saying that he believed that the nation was too blessed to resolve its differences with threats of violence and in some cases actual violence.
Fashola added that he believed that compromise was critical and that all reached for it in order to make more meaning out of the situation.
“The circumstances might be different at the moment but I would like to end with words spoken by a great statesman, the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo, in 1967, at another time when our country was at a crossroads: ‘Only a peaceful solution must be found to arrest the present worsening stalemate and restore normalcy.”
“I adopt those evergreen words as my own today and urge all those involved in any form of conflict or disagreement to pursue peaceful solutions,” he stated.
The governor said the nation had gone through its fair share of adversity but that what was important was that through it all, “we are still standing and still standing as one. Despite the various challenges that we are still facing, I remain inspired by the fact that Nigerians continue to repose their faith in this country.”
The governor commended the spirit of resilience that had propelled Nigerians to always forge ahead in the face of all odds, adding that in the past year since this event was last held, the state government had made a lot of progress in the state.
He said his administration had been thinking of and working on implementing multiple solutions that would build Lagos State into the Mega City of our dreams, saying this had culminated in the ongoing residents registration exercise.
Fashola urged Lagosians to participate and register massively as it would enable government prepare adequately for the populace, saying that “I often say that you cannot manage what you cannot measure and that is why we are carrying out this exercise; so that we can better manage our resources, better provide services, infrastructure and solutions; and make better plans and implement better policies that will take care of the needs of the people.”
“I believe that this is important if we are to deal with the problems of the present and build a great future. For example, we cannot solve the problem of inadequate water, insufficient power, overcrowded classrooms, and so on by continuously estimating the size of the need. While estimates are helpful, they must be informed and predicated on reason. This is what makes estimates different from wild guesses.
“We are a 21st Century Government, we are a Government of methods, we are aware of the power of data and we are determined to use reliably collected data to solve day to day problems because the Nigerian dream inspires us,” he stated.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/10/01/fashola-condemns-nigerias-centenary-celebration-plan/

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by ummsulaym(f): 9:05pm On Oct 01, 2013
Who get kuli joor make i take drink garri... Yeye!!!

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by gnykelly(m): 9:07pm On Oct 01, 2013
simple logic. Ride on BRF. :-(

1 Like

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by malc619(m): 9:22pm On Oct 01, 2013
Eko Oni Baje ooo..

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by abu12: 9:24pm On Oct 01, 2013
Fashola as raise many question begging for an answer, GEJ and his crew should have a rethink on his centenary celebration.

One thing I want to know is that are we celebrating british colonialism over nigeria since 1914 or what?

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by zomby(m): 9:51pm On Oct 01, 2013
Abeg, Oga Fashola stop wasting your time.

Nigeria has absolutely nothing to celebrate @ 20, 30, 40, 45, 50 or 53.

All our leaders (current or past) should be ashamed of themselves, in fact each of them should get 53 lashes for turning a great nation into a very large inexpensive latrine.

It makes no sense to even bother to figure out which history one should acknowledge; whether we should celebrate 1914 or 1960, it doesn't matter. The whole thing is f00lish.

As long as a very large percentage of Nigerian citizens continues to live in poverty, no jobs, no constant electric power, poor water supply, zero security, bad roads, corruption from the top to the bottom and weak education/medical system, Nigeria will continue to be a very large inexpensive latrine that is also full of human waste (sh1t).
And very very soon (even with flashy life style and range rovers) Nigerians will no longer be respected anywhere around the world.

Today is a sad day for Nigeria and Nigerians.

Shame on each and everyone of us.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Alexbond(m): 10:12pm On Oct 01, 2013
i welcome d creation of centenary city n i dnt think dis present administratn is d only to carry all d blame!
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Afam4eva(m): 10:55pm On Oct 01, 2013
I think this is ignorant coming Fashola. So, because people did not roll out drums to celebrate in 1914 does not distort the fact that, that was when Nigeria became one country and it's even a more important date than October 1 1960 because we're talking about the country here and when it was formed. But as far as the celebration is concerned, i think it's a waste of resources.

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Ajibel(m): 11:08pm On Oct 01, 2013
When a couple make love and the woman gets pregnant and then put to bed, what do they celebrate: the day the woman brought to bed (birthday) or the day the woman became pregnant (pregnantday)

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by malc619(m): 11:09pm On Oct 01, 2013
Afam4eva: I think this is ignorant coming Fashola. So, because people did not roll out drums to celebrate in 1914 does not distort the fact that, that was when Nigeria became one country and it's even a more important date than October 1 1960 because we're talking about the country here and when it was formed. But as far as the celebration is concerned, i think it's a waste of resources.

Can you read??

Are you a dullard??

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Afam4eva(m): 11:10pm On Oct 01, 2013
Between the day you married your husband and the day your wicked mother inlaw gave your marriage independence, which one will you celebrate.
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Afam4eva(m): 11:12pm On Oct 01, 2013
And did Fashola just say that that Nigeria's birthday is October 1st 1960? Like seriously?
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by malc619(m): 11:16pm On Oct 01, 2013
Nwokem, shebi you sabi read so??

Afam4eva: And did Fashola just say that that Nigeria's birthday is October 1st 1960? Like seriously?

“For me, Nigeria was born as an independent sovereign nation on the first of October 1960. perhaps, she was conceived in 1914

1 Like

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Afam4eva(m): 11:18pm On Oct 01, 2013
malc619: Nwokem, shebi you sabi read so??
I sabi read well well

the date of birth of a child that we celebrate and I think that birthday is October first 1960
The name of this country is Nigeria and not Independent Republic of Nigeria

7 Likes

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by malc619(m): 11:21pm On Oct 01, 2013
Afam4eva:
I sabi read well well

The name of this country is Nigeria and not Independent Republic of Nigeria

When was Nigeria born as an independent sovereign nation ??

Can you explain why we never celebrated 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 etc years of our being Nigeria??
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Afam4eva(m): 11:23pm On Oct 01, 2013
malc619:

When was Nigeria born as an independent sovereign nation ??
When id Nigeria's name become Independent Sovereign Republic of Nigeria?
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by malc619(m): 11:30pm On Oct 01, 2013
Afam4eva:

You are kinda dense sha...

Pre 1960 Nigeria was a British Colony. I guess you're arguing because you really do no understand what the word "colony" means.

grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Nobody: 11:30pm On Oct 01, 2013
Afam4eva:
Dude, at times it's ok if u don't say anything, u don't get banned for not responding to a topic. I'm just reminding u cus sometimes u just come across as highly unintelligent.

7 Likes

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Afam4eva(m): 11:31pm On Oct 01, 2013
malc619:

You are kinda dense sha...

Pre 1960 Nigeria was a British Colony. I guess you're arguing because really do no understand what the word "colony" means.

grin grin grin

And in Pre-1960, it was not called Nigeria? Answer me, Mr intelligent guy.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by malc619(m): 11:35pm On Oct 01, 2013
kingoflag: Dude, at times it's ok if u don't say anything, u don't get banned for not responding to a topic. I'm just reminding u cus sometimes u just come across as highly unintelligent.

I tire for Afam ooo.

Na Katz sabi hammer sense enter the guy skull...

cheesy

1 Like

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Nobody: 11:37pm On Oct 01, 2013
FASHOLA IS IGNORANT HERE.

NIGERIA BECAME A NATION IN 1914
BUT GOT HER INDEPENDENCE 1960

WITHOUT 1914 THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO 1960 SO 1914 GAVE US IDENTITY AND IS A GREAT TIME IN HISTORY.

I CELEBRATE......
I JUBILATE.........
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Desola(f): 11:37pm On Oct 01, 2013
kingoflag: Dude, at times it's ok if u don't say anything, u don't get banned for not responding to a topic. I'm just reminding u cus sometimes u just come across as highly unintelligent.

Utterly unintelligent he is!

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Afam4eva(m): 11:39pm On Oct 01, 2013
Billyonaire: FASHOLA IS IGNORANT HERE.

NIGERIA BECAME SOVEREIGN NATION IN 1914

WITHOUT 1914 THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO 1960 SO 1914 GAVE US IDENTITY AND IS A GREAT TIME IN HISTORY.

I CELEBRATE......
I JUBILATE.........
I thought i was the only one that noticed this.
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by malc619(m): 11:40pm On Oct 01, 2013
Afam4eva:
And in Pre-1960, it was not called Nigeria? Answer me, Mr intelligent guy.

Can you explain why we never celebrated 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 etc years of our being Nigeria??

You dodged my above question.....
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by basilo101: 11:40pm On Oct 01, 2013
Nigeria was born in 1914 as a slaves which became free in 1960. Both dates r important in her history, and yes, her birthday is 1914

1 Like

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by seanet02: 11:40pm On Oct 01, 2013
Afam please stop exposing your ignorance on a public forum

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by malc619(m): 11:42pm On Oct 01, 2013
Billyonaire: FASHOLA IS IGNORANT HERE.

NIGERIA BECAME SOVEREIGN NATION IN 1914

I CELEBRATE......
I JUBILATE.........

I thought Afam was dense....

grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Afam4eva(m): 11:43pm On Oct 01, 2013
malc619:

You dodged my above question.....
Why didn't you change the name of the country when you gained independence from the colonial powers to mark the beginning of a new nation. Nigeria has always existed since 1914 as a country despite being a British colony and it remains Nigeria's birthday. I don't even know why anyone would argue that. Fashola goofed on this one.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Jonathan Is Afraid To Declare For 2015 / INEC: Official Results From Akwa Ibom So Far / Muslim Religious Leader Allows Men To Eat Wives If They Are Hungry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.