Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,993 members, 7,821,471 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:25 PM

Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan (4739 Views)

Fashola Condemns Attacks On Jonathan / Governor Fashola Condemns Military Attack On BRT / Fashola Condemns Blocking Of Major Roads During Dame Patience's Visit To Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by dayokanu(m): 3:21am On Oct 02, 2013
Afam4eva:
Though you're right and i'm not disputing the original meaning, but it depends on the context that you're using the word. I could use "Concieve" to replace born dependind on what i'm talking about.

Anyway, i don't even know what bearing the word has on my original assertion.
The general accepted English uses "conceive" for the fertilisation. Thats why in Xtianity the process of Mary getting pregnant Its called "Immaculate conception" which is different from the Birth of Christ in Bethlehem
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by plaindealer: 3:40am On Oct 02, 2013
Billyonaire: FASHOLA IS IGNORANT HERE.

NIGERIA BECAME SOVEREIGN NATION IN 1914

BUT GOT HER INDEPENDENCE 1960

WITHOUT 1914 THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO 1960 SO 1914 GAVE US IDENTITY AND IS A GREAT TIME IN HISTORY.

I CELEBRATE......
I JUBILATE.........

lmao....With illiterates and dullards like you running wild in Nigeria, 53 years of Nigeria's existence failed you and your type viciously.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by ketoprofen(m): 4:02am On Oct 02, 2013
I was even thinking fashola was abt to say that d celebration will be a waste of resources( which is true), but he turned out to be saying what he cant even defend, all in d name of playing d opposition..
Apc stinks
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Nobody: 4:11am On Oct 02, 2013
Billyonaire: Independence and Sovereignty are 2 different things. A people can be sovereign yet dependent politically.
lmaoooooo this dude, give it up.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Nobody: 4:14am On Oct 02, 2013
These ones that don't even know when they became an independent and sovereign nation. Chei, and these are the ones that make the most noise on here? Thats why I don't even waste my time arguing with certain people...just keep it moving. Lool Naija is in Trouble.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by boladez(m): 4:36am On Oct 02, 2013
zomby: Abeg, Oga Fashola stop wasting your time.

Nigeria has absolutely nothing to celebrate @ 20, 30, 40, 45, 50 or 53.

All our leaders (current or past) should be ashamed of themselves, in fact each of them should get 53 lashes for turning a great nation into a very large inexpensive latrine.

It makes no sense to even bother to figure out which history one should acknowledge; whether we should celebrate 1914 or 1960, it doesn't matter. The whole thing is f00lish.

As long as a very large percentage of Nigerian citizens continues to live in poverty, no jobs, no constant electric power, poor water supply, zero security, bad roads, corruption from the top to the bottom and weak education/medical system, Nigeria will continue to be a very large inexpensive latrine that is also full of human waste (sh1t).
And very very soon (even with flashy life style and range rovers) Nigerians will no longer be respected anywhere around the world.

Today is a sad day for Nigeria and Nigerians.

Shame on each and everyone of us.

I agree with you and I think we should focus on getting the political restructuring right. I hope our weak FGN will have the strength and attention span to pull this through.

Absolutely nothing to celebrate. Either 1960 or 1914 not worth celebrating...we have been consistent as a country in retrogression.
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by braine(m): 5:43am On Oct 02, 2013
ketoprofen: I was even thinking fashola was abt to say that d celebration will be a waste of resources( which is true), but he turned out to be saying what he cant even defend, all in d name of playing d opposition..
Apc stinks

That's his personal opinnion though and it makes sense• You're the first person to politicize this thread after two pages which shows your post aint valid to me•

1 Like

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Ajibel(m): 5:47am On Oct 02, 2013
Ajibel: When a couple make love and the woman gets pregnant and then put to bed, what do they celebrate: the day the woman brought to bed (birthday) or the day the woman became pregnant (pregnantday)

If ceternary should be celebrated then i think going by logic up here, it's suffice to say the day the woman got pregnant should be celebrated. Because without the pregnancy, there would be no birth...so without Amalgamation, there would be no Nigeria. Maybe i should blame my teachers who misled me...
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by braine(m): 5:59am On Oct 02, 2013
Ajibel:

If ceternary should be celebrated then i think going by logic up here, it's suffice to say the day the woman got pregnant should be celebrated. Because without the pregnancy, there would be no birth...so without Amalgamation, there would be no Nigeria. Maybe i should blame my teachers who misled me...

The conception does not really matter much to me and most other people• I feel there should be some kind of debate to determine if it should even be celebrated•
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by wordcat(m): 7:15am On Oct 02, 2013
Afam4eva: And did Fashola just say that that Nigeria's birthday is October 1st 1960? Like seriously?

Imagine d Concombility?
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by donpope1(m): 8:12am On Oct 02, 2013
malc619:

Can you explain why we never celebrated 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 etc years of our being Nigeria??

You dodged my above question.....
those days we had a55.hole and dumb.a55 as president and head of state..
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by SterlingTowers(m): 8:12am On Oct 02, 2013
Northern protectorate and southern protectorate were almagamated in 1914, The British that almagamated held the regions under its auspices as a colony and protectorate not a sovereign country called Nigeria. Legal documents were executed and laws made that made us sovereign in 1960 no amount of dialectics or arguments can change that. Fashola cerebral as usual was on point on this one again. For example an artificial personality like a company comes to life upon incorporation not during pre incorporation, nigeria is also not a natural persons and its life comes to existence upon passing laws that made it a nation.. GEJ and his incompetent advisers are just to keen on stealing via the celebration. Commonsensically does it chime with any body to have two birthdays except such person has a multiple personality disorder well Nigeria has been suffering from so many things, so why am I even surprised.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by donpope1(m): 8:18am On Oct 02, 2013
seanet02: Afam please stop exposing your ignorance on a public forum
leave Afam alone, I think you are the ignorant here, so a freed slave should forget his birthday and celebrate the day he was set free? The two days are important..

1 Like

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Ferdinandu(m): 8:25am On Oct 02, 2013
Celebration of Amalgamation of Northernern And Southern Protectorate is a celebration of massive and unparalled failure.The amalgamation is not working so why are we celebrating it?

1 Like

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Sirkris(m): 8:51am On Oct 02, 2013
when you talk of history of Nigeria, you start from 1914. 1960 was one of the many events that occurred in the existence of her history, fashola is an intellectual and that's why even in his speech he gave room for anyone to enlighten him more. Nigeria was given birth to in 1914 and was freed from slavery in 1960.
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by jmaine: 8:54am On Oct 02, 2013
Sirkris: when you talk of history of Nigeria, you start from 1914. 1960 was one of the many events that occurred in the existence of her history, fashola is an intellectual and that's why even in his speech he gave room for anyone to enlighten him more. Nigeria was given birth to in 1914 and was freed from slavery in 1960.

It is finished . . . . cool
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by ba7man(m): 8:59am On Oct 02, 2013
Afam4eva:
Why didn't you change the name of the country when you gained independence from the colonial powers to mark the beginning of a new nation. Nigeria has always existed since 1914 as a country despite being a British colony and it remains Nigeria's birthday. I don't even know why anyone would argue that. Fashola goofed on this one.
Which one would you celebrate??

The day you were moved to "BLOCK C" in prison to join other prisoners.............Or the day you and the other prisoners in "BLOCK C" gained your freedom

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Succincts: 9:17am On Oct 02, 2013
Its just 2 sides of a coin if you ask me.

yesterday we marked 53years of independence as a nation. Next yr we wil b celebrating, 100 Years of existence as a nation.

using conception and birth of baby is a wrong analogy. and i will explain.

1. at conception of a baby you dont name the baby. (Was Fashola called Fashola when he was still in the womb). so if NIgeria recieved the name NIgeria at 1914. it can not then be said to be analogous to conception rather it is analogous to birth.

2. at birth a child is as human as old man, but he is still dependent. so also we can liken NIgeria at 1914 to be a full nation but still dependent.

so Fashola was wrong on this one.

the non celebration or marking of the cetenary does not negate it as the birth of Nigeria.

so i think the general explanation to the debate is that.
1. whereas 1960 marks the beginning of independence of an already existing nation. 1914 clearly marks the coming into existence of the nation. though receiving orders from another just as a child recieved orders from other human beings but yet he is still a human.

2. Nigerians have ignored celebrating their birth date. please dont ask me why.

gracias for listening

1 Like

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Afam4eva(m): 9:17am On Oct 02, 2013
ba7man: Which one would you celebrate??

The day you were moved to "BLOCK C" in prison to join other prisoners.............Or the day you and the other prisoners in "BLOCK C" gained your freedom
It's not really about the date you choose to celeberate but the day you'll call your birthday. I don't care if the independence day is valued more than the 1914 amalgamation but the point remains the freedom is not the same as birthday. Slaves in America did not call the day they were free their birthdate but the day they were born even though they were still slaves.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Nobody: 9:32am On Oct 02, 2013
Both the amalgamation and independence anniversaries can still be celebrated. They aren't mutually exclusive.
Fashola is wrong on this one though; the nation-Nigeria, came into being in 1914 (though it wasn't a sovereign nation at the time)
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by legalcode(m): 9:33am On Oct 02, 2013
I hope the undeserved praises that Fashola is receieving from his kinsmen hasnt blinded him? His comments and actions these days are becoming unbecoming. Every reasonable thinking citizen of these country and the history students are so much aware of the difference between INDEPENDENCE and AMALGAMATION also 1914 and 1960 ..................Is this what he intends to offer as a president? Obviously President and Governor are way two different positions...........I hope he wont come out soonest to apologise.
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Nobody: 9:42am On Oct 02, 2013
A lot of people are utterly ignorant and unintelligent on this thread.

How can you celebrate 1914, the year the country became a proper colony for proper colonialism. 1914 was the year the Brits were 100% assured that all the ethnic groups in that geographical location have been conquered, and the North and South were amalgamated, for colonial imperialism and direct exploitation under an overseer. However, the country, Nigeria, was birthed in 1960, when all the groups in that geographical location signed an agreement, to form a country together. Celebrating 1914 would amount to celebrating colonialism and Lord Lugard. And with that, you have to rewrite the history of the country, and make him the first person to ever rule the country - not Zik and Balewa.

Let's say Awolowo, Zik, Enahoro, or Ahmadu Bello never agreed to live together in one country - would there have been a country called, "Nigeria?" Heck, some might even argue that 1963 should be year to celebrate because that was the year Nigeria became a republic. However, 1960 is more logical.

Anyway, you lot can celebrate whatever you want to celebrate - that won't change the retrogression in the country. As for Fashola, I just hope he won't tender his unreserved apology for his statement this time - when cattle change owners. grin

1 Like

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Nobody: 9:46am On Oct 02, 2013
CFCfan: Both the amalgamation and independence anniversaries can still be celebrated. They aren't mutually exclusive.
Fashola is wrong on this one though; the nation-Nigeria, came into being in 1914 (though it wasn't a sovereign nation at the time)

Was Nigeria really a "Nation" in 1964, or a colony? What did the Nigerian flag in 1914 look like?

Let me help you out:

1 Like

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Nobody: 9:48am On Oct 02, 2013
legalcode: I hope the undeserved praises that Fashola is receieving from his kinsmen hasnt blinded him? His comments and actions these days are becoming unbecoming. Every reasonable thinking citizen of these country and the history students are so much aware of the difference between INDEPENDENCE and AMALGAMATION also 1914 and 1960 ..................Is this what he intends to offer as a president? Obviously President and Governor are way two different positions...........I hope he wont come out soonest to apologise.

Fashola is right on this one. 1914 shouldn't be celebrated, to be honest.

I'd celebrate 1963 over 1914 every day of the week, to be honest.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Nobody: 10:01am On Oct 02, 2013
shymexx:

Was Nigeria really a "Nation" in 1964, or a colony? What did the Nigerian flag in 1914 look like?Let me help you out:

A nation can still be under colonial rule, but a "nation-state" or "sovereign nation" is an independent one. So Nigeria as at 1914, was a nation which was also a British colony.
Re: Fashola Condemns Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan by Nobody: 10:09am On Oct 02, 2013
CFCfan:

A nation can still be under colonial rule, but a "nation-state" or "sovereign nation" is an independent one. So Nigeria as at 1914, was a nation which was also a British colony.

For it to be a nation pre-1960, the people ought to have a nationality synonymous with the nation, no? However, what was the nationality of the people in Nigeria before 1960 and what international passports were the people carrying around? The last time I checked, it was a British one. Heck, the coat of arms on the flag I posted earlier shows the British monarchy and the union jack is also on that flag. So evidently Nigeria wasn't a nation in 1914. The country came into being in 1960.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pictures From Scene Of Assassination Attempt On The Commandant General Nscdc / INEC: Official Results From Akwa Ibom So Far / Photoshop: More Nigerians Troop To London To See President Buhari (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.