Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,109 members, 7,845,673 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

foreigners chillout joint. - Foreign Affairs (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / foreigners chillout joint. (138060 Views)

Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners / South Africans Ignore Appeal, Continue Attacks On Foreigners / We Won't Apologise, Foreigners Are Not Welcome -south Africa King Replies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (92) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Afam4eva(m): 12:17am On Oct 06, 2013
Theben:
Yea
I'm wonder what bearing it has on this. But i'm right on it.

Here, you have it

none
/nən/
Pronoun
Not any: "none of you want to work".
Adverb
By no amount; not at all: "it is made none the easier by the differences in approach".
Noun
A service forming part of the Divine Office of the Western Christian Church, traditionally said at the ninth hour of the day (3 p.m.).
Synonyms
pronoun. no one - nobody - neither - nothing
adverb. nothing - not at all
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Theben(m): 12:23am On Oct 06, 2013
Afam4eva:
I'm wonder what bearing it has on this. But i'm right on it.

Here, you have it

none
/nən/
Pronoun
Not any: "none of you want to work".
Adverb
By no amount; not at all: "it is made none the easier by the differences in approach".
Noun
A service forming part of the Divine Office of the Western Christian Church, traditionally said at the ninth hour of the day (3 p.m.).
Synonyms
pronoun. no one - nobody - neither - nothing
adverb. nothing - not at all
This is what I copied from my oxford dictionary, 8th edition.
*when you use 'none of' with an uncountable noun, the verb is in the singular: e.g None of the work was done.
*When you use 'none of' with a plural noun or pronoun, or a singular noun referring to a group of people or things; you can either use a singular or a plural verb. But the singular form is used in a formal style in BrE. e.g None of the trains is/are going to london.

1 Like

Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Theben(m): 12:25am On Oct 06, 2013
I can't possibly type everything here cos I'm browsing with my phone. And don't wanna make use of online dictionary cos I won't get to see every detail I need in this argument.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Afam4eva(m): 12:26am On Oct 06, 2013
Theben:
This is what I copied from my oxford dictionary, 8th edition.
I think this link solves it http://www.ecenglish.com/learnenglish/using-have-and-has
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Theben(m): 12:30am On Oct 06, 2013
Afam4eva:
I think this link solves it http://www.ecenglish.com/learnenglish/using-have-and-has
You are getting it wrong. The emphasis is on the 'none' not the noun/pronoun that precedes the verb.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by sCun: 12:34am On Oct 06, 2013
Afam4eva:
Your link actually dealt with basic uses of 'have' and 'has' with examples like: he has a haircut. Is that what we are discussing here? Jeez! This question should also apply to you
Prove that ''none of them'' cannot go with ''has''. Don't even try to post any other thing here, just prove that ''none of them'', ''none of my friends'', ''none of whatever'' cannot go with ''has''.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Afam4eva(m): 12:35am On Oct 06, 2013
Theben:
You are getting it wrong. The emphasis is on the 'none' not the noun that precedes the verb.
I really don't see how the word "None" changes anything. The rule of Has/Have does not change irrespective of any word that's in the sentence.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by sCun: 12:37am On Oct 06, 2013
Theben:
You are getting it wrong. The emphasis is on the 'none' not the noun that precedes the verb.
I don't know why that is so difficult for them to understand, expect the next person to also give us lectures on ''he has'' ''she has'' and ''they have'' as if that is what the discussion is about. Damn!
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by HumbledbYGrace(f): 12:39am On Oct 06, 2013
Seriously? undecided

I am going to report you guys for derailing, Afam, you too angry
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Afam4eva(m): 12:40am On Oct 06, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: Seriously? undecided

I am going to report you guys for derailing, Afam, you too angry
is English the official language of South Africa?
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Theben(m): 12:40am On Oct 06, 2013
Afam4eva:
I really don't see how the word "None" changes anything. The rule of Has/Have does not change irrespective of any word that's in the sentence.
So by your logic, "None of the boys are here" should be correct? As the same rule is applicable in the use of is/are.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Afam4eva(m): 12:43am On Oct 06, 2013
Theben:
So by your logic, "None of the boys are here" should be correct? As the same rule is applicable in the use of is/are.
Yes, "None of the boys are here" is correct. Anything wrong with it? Aren't we referring to Has/Have?
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by sCun: 12:43am On Oct 06, 2013
Afam4eva:
So ''none of my friends has a car'' is wrong because friends must always go with have right?
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Afam4eva(m): 12:45am On Oct 06, 2013
Scun: So ''none of my friends has a car'' is wrong because friends must always go with have right?
Yes, it is very wrong. I hear a lot of people say it but that doesn't make it right.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 12:49am On Oct 06, 2013
And just as I thought!

none

Usage Note:
It is widely asserted that none is equivalent to no one, and hence requires a singular verb and singular pronoun: None of the prisoners was given his soup. It is true that none is etymologically derived from the Old English word n, "one," but the word has been used as both a singular and a plural noun from Old English onward. The plural usage appears in the King James Bible as well as the works of John Dryden and Edmund Burke and is widespread in the works of respectable writers today. Of course, the singular usage is perfectly acceptable. The choice between a singular or plural verb depends on the desired effect. Both options are acceptable in this sentence: None of the conspirators has (or have) been brought to trial. When none is modified by almost, however, it is difficult to avoid treating the word as a plural: Almost none of the officials were (not was) interviewed by the committee. None can only be plural in its use in sentences such as: None but his most loyal supporters believe (not believes) his story. See Usage Notes at every, neither, nothing.

Examples:
1. none of my letters has arrived
2. there was none to tell the tale
3. none of it looks edible
4. None of the members is going.
5. That is none of your business.
6. I'll have none of that.

Usage: None is a singular pronoun and should be used with a singular form of a verb: none of the students has (not have) a car

Source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/None

Hmmmmm....So both of you is right! Can we go to sleep now? undecided undecided undecided

*****READ AT YOUR OWN RISK grin grin grin grin******

So the winner is TheBen!
Reasons: As we can see that 'None' means - No one/ not any (which is very very much singular)....It should be treated like every other singular Noun words.
It was also stated in the quote that; None has always been used traditionally with a singular Verb....no matter what! (except in cases which is not related to the topic at hand) - It was later on; that using it interchangeably with a plural verb was introduced (due to 'old english' wahala used in writing The Bible). So this means TheBen can be considered as 'More Right' cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

TheBen..... smiley smiley smiley smileyYou've been vindicated.
Mister Twister a.k.a 'UK Prof' a.k.a Sagamite.....You are also right....Oya hug yourselves

#ByeBye
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by HumbledbYGrace(f): 12:50am On Oct 06, 2013
Afam4eva:
is English the official language of South Africa?
its one of the 10 official languages.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by sCun: 12:52am On Oct 06, 2013
Afam4eva:
Yes, it is very wrong. I hear a lot of people say it but that doesn't make it right.
Read speedyboi's post, you might learn one or 2 thing from it.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Theben(m): 12:52am On Oct 06, 2013
Speedyboi, God go bless you cheesy cheesy
*sigh

1 Like

Re: foreigners chillout joint. by sCun: 12:53am On Oct 06, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: its one of the 10 official languages.
''it is'' or ''it's''. We are in correct grammar mode now.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Afam4eva(m): 12:55am On Oct 06, 2013
I'm really trying to understand what bearing "None" has on the sentence when the bone of contention should be on "posts" and "have/has".
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 12:55am On Oct 06, 2013
OOOOO....I see Afam don take up the case before I got back cheesy
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by HumbledbYGrace(f): 12:55am On Oct 06, 2013
Scun: ''it is'' or ''it's''. We are in correct grammar mode now.
argh, I am going to bed, adios.

It is!
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Theben(m): 12:55am On Oct 06, 2013
Scun: I don't know why that is so difficult for them to understand, expect the next person to also give us lectures on ''he has'' ''she has'' and ''they have'' as if that is what the discussion is about. Damn!
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by sCun: 12:57am On Oct 06, 2013
The funny thing is that I've seen that Sagamite call Shymexx who did all his schooling in the same England product of a failed education system. Lmao
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by sCun: 12:59am On Oct 06, 2013
Afam4eva: I'm really trying to understand what bearing "None" has on the sentence when the bone of contention should be on "posts" and "have/has".
This issue was addressed in that Speedyboi's post, take your time and read it.

1 Like

Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Afam4eva(m): 1:02am On Oct 06, 2013
Scun: This issue was addressed in that Speedyboi's post, take your time and read it.
I think i get it now. From now onwards, i'll stick with Igbo and pidgin English. God punish English grin

4 Likes

Re: foreigners chillout joint. by HumbledbYGrace(f): 1:03am On Oct 06, 2013
Afam4eva: I'm really trying to understand what bearing "None" has on the sentence when the bone of contention should be on "posts" and "have/has".
Examples:

1. none of my letters has arrived( not even( one) of my letters has arrived. Letter is a noun, singular will go with has, END of story.

2. there was none to tell the tale (not even a (single) soul was there to tell the tale.

3. none of it looks edible

4. None of the members is going.

5. That is none of your business.
6. I'll have none of that.

Usage: None is a singular pronoun and should be used with a singular form of a verb: none of the students has (not have) a car

1 Like

Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 1:03am On Oct 06, 2013

You don't expect anyone to get the exact sentence he made anywhere.

If I can recall, the wahala was on 'None of my posts has anything to do with sex', right?

Okay..then this example suits the case study 'none of my letters has arrived'
All you need do is replace the following
posts = letters
'anything to do with sex' (Adverbial clause) - Arrived (Adverb)

and we are fine.

2 Likes

Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Theben(m): 1:04am On Oct 06, 2013
Afam4eva:
I think i get it now. From now onwards, i'll stick with Igbo and pidgin English. God punish English grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by sCun: 1:06am On Oct 06, 2013
Afam4eva:
Bottomline from all the google searches I've done, both ''none of them has'' and ''none of them have'' are correct, feel free to use anyone. Sagamite was wrong in trying to correct The Ben.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by HumbledbYGrace(f): 1:06am On Oct 06, 2013
Afam4eva:
I think i get it now, from now onwards, i'll stick with to Igbo and pidgin English. God punish English grin
Correct guy. cheesy
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by sCun: 1:07am On Oct 06, 2013
Case closed! I say no more.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (92) (Reply)

Kim Yo-Jong, Jong-Un's Sister To Lead North Korea If He Dies / Where Would South Africa Be Without White People? / Gov.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.