Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,072 members, 7,811,008 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:35 PM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (176) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (517183 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (173) (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 3:25pm On Aug 17, 2014
jnrbayano!!!
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 3:34pm On Aug 17, 2014
Kamsified: jnrbayano!!!

Omalicha
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 3:36pm On Aug 17, 2014
jnrbayano:

Omalicha
Happy Sunday to you dear.
Can I ask you a question?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 3:39pm On Aug 17, 2014
Kamsified:
Happy Sunday to you dear.
Can I ask you a question?

Go right ahead....
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 3:41pm On Aug 17, 2014
jnrbayano:

Go right ahead....
Why do you think Jesus responded to the woman like that?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 3:56pm On Aug 17, 2014
Kamsified:
Why do you think Jesus responded to her the woman like that?

Our master needed to teach his disciples, the woman and us a lesson there.

He wanted us not just to say we have faith in him, but to put into work and persevere in it as well.

Also to let us know that someone outside the church can also express deep faith in him, and we must always be accomodating to everybody.

smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 5:44pm On Aug 17, 2014
jnrbayano:

Our master needed to teach his disciples, the woman and us a lesson there.

He wanted us not just to say we have faith in him, but to put into work and persevere in it as well.

Also to let us know that someone outside the church can also express deep faith in him, and we must always be accomodating to everybody.

smiley

Thanks dearest. I agree with you and equally I'm marveled by the woman's humility cos as much as she needed her daughter delivered, some of us(if in her shoes) would've bn offended even from the time he didn't respond at all.
God will help us to learn to persevere even when he seems as though he's not listening to our pleas for one thing or the other.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 5:46pm On Aug 17, 2014
Missing striktlymi. My oga, where art thou?
Happy Sunday to you. Hope you're fine
Cheers!!
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 6:07pm On Aug 17, 2014
Kamsified: Missing striktlymi. My oga, where art thou?
Happy Sunday to you. Hope you're fine
Cheers!!

Happy Sunday to you too young missy! smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 6:28pm On Aug 17, 2014
striktlymi:

Happy Sunday to you too young missy! smiley
Awww and my prayer was answered instantly.
How have you bn dearie?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 6:33pm On Aug 17, 2014
Kamsified:
Awww and my prayer was answered instantly.
How have you bn dearie?

I am doing great thanks! I am sure you are doing pretty well yourself.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 6:37pm On Aug 17, 2014
striktlymi:

I am doing great thanks! I am sure you are doing pretty well yourself.
I'm doing well too thanks, though catarrh/cough seeking notice. Hope u went to mass. I also need your contribution on my question regarding today's gospel
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 6:44pm On Aug 17, 2014
Kamsified:

Thanks dearest. I agree with you and equally I'm marveled by the woman's humility cos as much as she needed her daughter delivered, some of us(if in her shoes) would've bn offended even from the time he didn't respond at all.
God will help us to learn to persevere even when he seems as though he's not listening to our pleas for one thing or the other.

Amen and amen dear.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 6:46pm On Aug 17, 2014
Kamsified:
I'm doing well too thanks, though catarrh/cough seeking notice. Hope u went to mass. I also need your contribution on my question regarding today's gospel

Cool!

If I recall correctly, this is about the second time you are having those (Catarrh/cough). Hope it's not a recurring 'problem'?

#will take a look at the question and will comment on it if I am inspired.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 7:03pm On Aug 17, 2014
striktlymi:

Cool!

If I recall correctly, this is about the second time you are having those (Catarrh/cough). Hope it's not a recurring 'problem'?

#will take a look at the question and will comment on it if I am inspired.
Fine.
You're so right dearest. D last time I had this was in April. It's a recurring problem really, Quarterly if you ask me.smh
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 7:19pm On Aug 17, 2014
Kamsified:
tongue
Were u not there when he performed all the traditional marriage rights
If I don't take care of him, who will
no problem. *wipes teary eyes*
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 7:23pm On Aug 17, 2014
KiddaBlingzz: no problem. *wipes teary eyes*
*hands him a handkerchief* tongue
Na me say make your people no quick come lipsrsealed cheesy
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 7:24pm On Aug 17, 2014
KiddaBlingzz: no problem. *wipes teary eyes*
Sorry na cheesy how was mass/your day?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 7:34pm On Aug 17, 2014
Kamsified:
*hands him a handkerchief* tongue
Na me say make your people no quick come lipsrsealed cheesy
i taya o sad after now Rich4god go say i dey drag things with am when he don carry you go angry

this matter serious o. No laff again sad
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 7:35pm On Aug 17, 2014
Thank God for both, all fine and went well. Your?
Kamsified:
Sorry na cheesy how was mass/your day?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 7:43pm On Aug 17, 2014
Kamsified: Mark 2:27 Jesus came to the world to call sinners to repentance
Matt18:11 for the son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost
So many passages that point to the love of Christ for sinners just to mention but a two wink
But in today's reading, a Canaanite woman came to request for healing from Jesus and he ignored her in Matt 15:23, then in verse 24, he says " I was sent only to the Lost sheep of Israel" and then in verse 26, he said to her " it's not right to take the children's food and throw it to the dogs"

My question is what could have made this woman's case different? I mean she is the one that came to Jesus but Jesus didn't want to look her side, to the point of calling her(abi her people) dog

Okay I am inspired to say a bit on it.

The first thing we should realise here is that the Jews, like Africans, have a way of conveying a message or two via the use of proverbs. Jesus, in truth, did not call the lady a dog or implied that her people were dogs. He simply tried to show the Apostles in practical terms how important faith and persistence are. The theme of faith has been a recurring subject which the Apostles were quite slow to grasp. So he used whatever opportunity to remind them of their importance.

Jesus was sent first to the Jews, and through the Apostles, to the rest of the world. Considering his mission to the Jews, He is not expected to go beyond that for which He was sent. In a nutshell, it would be impractical for him to do things before the time that was allotted for them. Helping this lady, from that view point would be a bit off, just like It is wrong for a parent to give the food that is meant for the Children to dogs. Despite the difficulty in her request, Jesus still fulfilled it because all that is required to move mountains (an impossible task) is a faith that is as small as a mustard seed, which the lady had.

Jesus already knew he would fulfil the request of the lady. He could have done it without 'saying a word', just like he did with the Centurion's servant. The Centurion wasn't a Jew like this lady but Jesus didn't say same for the Centurion because it was not relevant to pass the message of faith across to the Apostles at that time. Thus, the proverb was not really meant for the lady but for the benefit of the Apostles.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 7:44pm On Aug 17, 2014
Kamsified:
Fine.
You're so right dearest. D last time I had this was in April. It's a recurring problem really, Quarterly if you ask me.smh

Pele! Try and take something for it.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 8:30pm On Aug 17, 2014
Syncan:

St. Patrick, I will... again. what am I watching out for?
his first shout out to God.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 9:05pm On Aug 17, 2014
striktlymi:

Okay I am inspired to say a bit on it.

The first thing we should realise here is that the Jews, like Africans, have a way of conveying a message or two via the use of proverbs. Jesus, in truth, did not call the lady a dog or implied that her people were dogs. He simply tried to show the Apostles in practical terms how important faith and persistence are. The theme of faith has been a recurring subject which the Apostles were quite slow to grasp. So he used whatever opportunity to remind them of their importance.

Jesus was sent first to the Jews, and through the Apostles, to the rest of the world. Considering his mission to the Jews, He is not expected to go beyond that for which He was sent. In a nutshell, it would be impractical for him to do things before the time that was allotted for them. Helping this lady, from that view point would be a bit off, just like It is wrong for a parent to give the food that is meant for the Children to dogs. Despite the difficulty in her request, Jesus still fulfilled it because all that is required to move mountains (an impossible task) is a faith that is as small as a mustard seed, which the lady had.

Jesus already knew he would fulfil the request of the lady. He could have done it without 'saying a word', just like he did with the Centurion's servant. The Centurion wasn't a Jew like this lady but Jesus didn't say same for the Centurion because it was not relevant to pass the message of faith across to the Apostles at that time. Thus, the proverb was not really meant for the lady but for the benefit of the Apostles.
Inspired indeed. Thanks a million times for this. Remain salty bro
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 9:08pm On Aug 17, 2014
KiddaBlingzz: i taya o sad after now Rich4god go say i dey drag things with am when he don carry you go angry

this matter serious o. No laff again sad
Oya I no laff again lipsrsealed
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 9:09pm On Aug 17, 2014
KiddaBlingzz: Thank God for both, all fine and went well. Your?
Same here sweerie
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 9:16pm On Aug 17, 2014
striktlymi:

Pele! Try and take something for it.
Thanks I am taking something but one thing I've noticed too is that it will still last for about a week (whether I take Sth or not) so because of that am usually discouraged to take any medicine embarassed
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 9:19pm On Aug 17, 2014
Kamsified:
Same here sweerie
thats nice

the emboldened is a word you should use more often when reffering to me grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 9:21pm On Aug 17, 2014
Kamsified:
Thanks I am taking something but one thing I've noticed too is that it will still last for about a week (whether I take Sth or not) so because of that am usually discouraged to take any medicine embarassed

May be you may need to speak to your doc about it.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 9:29pm On Aug 17, 2014
striktlymi:

May be you may need to speak to your doc about it.
I did already. It's not a threat in any way sha. but it's discomforting all the same. I was just advised to drink plenty fluid whenever it comes, to stay hydrated
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 6:19am On Aug 18, 2014
Kamsified:
I did already. It's not a threat in any way sha. but it's discomforting all the same. I was just advised to drink plenty fluid whenever it comes, to stay hydrated

Cool!

#Sorry, slept off last night.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by debbie(f): 9:44am On Aug 18, 2014
Good morning my beautiful people...thought to share something from the WORD AMONG US,CATHOLIC DAILY GUIDE...
I WAS RICHLY BLESSED BY TODAY'S READING....

Meditation: Matthew 19:16-22

20th Week in Ordinary Time

If you wish to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me. (Matthew 19:21)

What do I need to do to get to heaven? This is an age-old question that millions of people have asked. The rich young man in today’s Gospel reading had everything he could have wanted, but he still felt empty. He lived a fine life with many possessions and appeared to be a very upstanding person. Yet something was stirring in his heart, and he was determined to ask Jesus about it.

Let’s imagine the scene as the young man approaches Jesus. “You shall not kill; you shall not commit adultery,” Jesus tells the man. “I have obeyed these,” he replies. Jesus continues, “You shall not steal; you shall not bear false witness.” “These I have also followed,” the man insists. “What about ‘Honor your father and mother’ and ‘Love your neighbor’ ”? Jesus presses. “Yes, I have done these things. What am I missing here?” “Sell everything, give to the poor, and follow me.”

Now, what if the man had not walked away sad but instead admitted that he couldn’t do this on his own? Surely Jesus would have embraced him and rejoiced that he was opening his heart to God.

Perhaps you have wondered what acceptable thing you can do to gain salvation. Maybe you are trying to be a better person, with varying degrees of success, and wondering whether you’re going to make it.

But Jesus is standing before you and asking you to do just one thing: “Follow me” (Matthew 19:21). Whatever it is that may be holding you back, let it go. The rich young man was too tied to his possessions. What are you too attached to? Try your best to lay it before the Lord and ask him to help you let go of it. Then just follow him. Don’t look back. Just keep looking forward. Take the next step. And the next step. And the one after that. Soon enough, you’ll find yourself running after him, free and clear.

“Jesus, you are my greatest treasure. You are my most valuable possession. Help me to lay my life before you. Give me the grace to follow you and put you first each day.”

Ezekiel 24:15-23; (Psalm) Deuteronomy 32:18-21

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (173) (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.