Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,354 members, 7,957,946 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 05:06 AM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (187) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (528252 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by debbie(f): 8:56am On Sep 01, 2014
Mass Reading & Meditation for September 1, 2014
Catholic Meditations

Meditation: 1 Corinthians 2:1-5

So that your faith might rest not on human wisdom but on the power of God. (1 Corinthians 2:5)

It has been said that the greatest chasm in the world is the distance between the mind and the heart. So when St. Paul went to Corinth, he didn’t focus on sublime teaching about God or argue about moral issues. He simply presented Christ crucified, risen, victorious, powerful. He didn’t give the people teachings about Christ as much as he gave them Christ himself. He wanted to bridge that chasm!

Paul’s words were so effective because he showed the heart-to-heart, person-to-person relationship that Jesus came to give us. He showed that Jesus is more than a great teacher; he is our salvation. He is not just an idea; he is a person. Jesus himself is the very foundation of our faith.

So let’s connect with Jesus on a personal level, a “heart” level, today. Let’s allow the Scriptures to bring us face to face and heart to heart with the Lord. Reread today’s Gospel and place yourself in the scene. As the synagogue members listen to Jesus and note the graciousness of his words, they still can’t bridge that gap between their minds and their hearts. They are impressed with him intellectually and emotionally, but they still can’t get past what they know of him. He grew up with them; they played together as children; they worked together at their trades. He couldn’t possibly be more than they already know! And so their polite approval changes to fury when Jesus exposes their closed hearts.

Jesus’ heart must have ached to see his neighbors unable to accept him.

What about you? Will you go deeper than what you know about the Lord? Will you let him—Jesus, the person, and not just the ideas about him—touch your heart?

“Lord, I believe that you are more than I know. I don’t want to be just convinced about who you are. I want to meet you and know you personally. Jesus, come and be the foundation of my faith!”

Psalm 119:97-102; Luke 4:16-30

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 9:06am On Sep 01, 2014
KiddaBlingzz: Even as i dey vex with all of una sad

make una pray for me o. I dey travel today and i no wan hear say cherekambia. I wan live plenty plenty.
Why no dey vex, mumsy no give you food this morning... Anyway, I go help you wash plate if dat will make you happy. Btw, journey mercy to you. You knw the rules na, no bread no comeback. Stay safe...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 9:08am On Sep 01, 2014
Kamsified: *runs to the kitchen to make breakfast
before my prince charming Rich4god finds
me here
lol... Even if you no give me food throughout today... Your write up done make me belle full... Nice write up my zing... Happy new month...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 9:12am On Sep 01, 2014
happy new month to you all...

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 9:14am On Sep 01, 2014
Rich4god: Why no dey vex, mumsy no give you food this morning... Anyway, I go help you wash plate if dat will make you happy. Btw, journey mercy to you. You knw the rules na, no bread no comeback. Stay safe...
e pass that one o.

Wash the plate

and thanks bro. Where mumsy?

And the bread....erm... We go talk about am later
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 9:23am On Sep 01, 2014
debbie: Mass Reading & Meditation for September 1, 2014
Catholic Meditations

Meditation: 1 Corinthians 2:1-5

So that your faith might rest not on human wisdom but on the power of God. (1 Corinthians 2:5)

It has been said that the greatest chasm in the world is the distance between the mind and the heart. So when St. Paul went to Corinth, he didn’t focus on sublime teaching about God or argue about moral issues. He simply presented Christ crucified, risen, victorious, powerful. He didn’t give the people teachings about Christ as much as he gave them Christ himself. He wanted to bridge that chasm!

Paul’s words were so effective because he showed the heart-to-heart, person-to-person relationship that Jesus came to give us. He showed that Jesus is more than a great teacher; he is our salvation. He is not just an idea; he is a person. Jesus himself is the very foundation of our faith.

So let’s connect with Jesus on a personal level, a “heart” level, today. Let’s allow the Scriptures to bring us face to face and heart to heart with the Lord. Reread today’s Gospel and place yourself in the scene. As the synagogue members listen to Jesus and note the graciousness of his words, they still can’t bridge that gap between their minds and their hearts. They are impressed with him intellectually and emotionally, but they still can’t get past what they know of him. He grew up with them; they played together as children; they worked together at their trades. He couldn’t possibly be more than they already know! And so their polite approval changes to fury when Jesus exposes their closed hearts.

Jesus’ heart must have ached to see his neighbors unable to accept him.

What about you? Will you go deeper than what you know about the Lord? Will you let him—Jesus, the person, and not just the ideas about him—touch your heart?

“Lord, I believe that you are more than I know. I don’t want to be just convinced about who you are. I want to meet you and know you personally. Jesus, come and be the foundation of my faith!”

Psalm 119:97-102; Luke 4:16-30

Amen to your prayers. God bless thee.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 9:28am On Sep 01, 2014

make una pray for me o. I dey travel today and i no wan hear say cherekambia. I wan live plenty plenty.

Safe journey dear. smiley

But wetin dey bring the vex na? angry
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 9:29am On Sep 01, 2014
KiddaBlingzz: e pass that one o.

Wash the plate

Not just ordinary bread.

Ejidike Bread is the bread.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 9:53am On Sep 01, 2014

I think I know you're angry
Because you logged in and there was no 'mentions' for you abi? cheesy Oya sorry na

Have a safe trip dearie. May God's angels watch over you
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 9:56am On Sep 01, 2014
Syncan: "...I came to you in weakness and fear and much trembling, and my message and my proclamation were not with persuasive words of wisdom,
but with a demonstration of spirit and power, so that your faith might rest not on human wisdom but on the power of God
". 1Cor2:1-5

How very often we look for God in the mighty wind, only to miss him passing by in the gentle breeze. Oh, how many saints must have passed us by yet we didn't know, overlooking them, or even treating some badly. Imagine that Jesus own people overlooked him...“Is this not the son of Joseph?”...Lk 4:16-30. Yet right before them was the messiah they were waiting for. Many cases have there been, where people were embarrassed after finding out that the one they ridiculed earlier, wasn't that nonentity they thought at first. There's this case of a lady that slapped a top military officer(in plain clothes) in a traffic fracas, having assessed that her wealthy husband could arrest and deal with this man who was driving a car lower in value than her's. Things changed for the woman as her husband was humiliated publicly on the spot, by a group of soldiers acting under the watch of their assaulted Oga. How differently would I have treated Jnrbayano if I knew that God is pleased with him, would I have snapped at Ify124 if I knew she is an authentic visionary who see's the heavenly beings, don't you think I would have been more patient with wonda26 had I known that he stays up all night speaking to the Lord, nor would i have pushed away Chidima disrespectfully; if I knew that despite being my neighbor's maid, she is often visited by the blessed Virgin. Yes, yes, we would have done things differently had we known...but that is the koko... we wouldn't know, for we are expected to see Christ in all, because though he came being weak in appearance, yet exhibits a "demonstration of spirit and power". That person you may treat badly, may just be in possession of the power to bring your miracle home.

Dear Brethren. As we enter once again a new month, may the good Lord look kindly on your good heart desires, may he lighten the burden you bear, give you the serenity to accept graciously what you cannot change, courage to change those you can, the discernment to know the difference, and more so; to guide your path with Divine light. Amen.

Good morning and a splendid day ahead to all.
Nice piece bro. Thanks for sharing
Big Amen to the wonderful prayers
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 9:59am On Sep 01, 2014
Rich4god: lol... Even if you no give me food throughout today... Your write up done make me belle full... Nice write up my zing... Happy new month...
Awww how sweet! thank you sunshine.
Happy new month to you as well
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 10:01am On Sep 01, 2014
@debbie God bless you
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 10:02am On Sep 01, 2014
Kiddablingzz cheesy
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 10:07am On Sep 01, 2014
Kamsified:
Nice piece bro. Thanks for sharing
Big Amen to the wonderful prayers

Thanks. You're welcome.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 10:08am On Sep 01, 2014
jnrbayano:

Awwww! as always so touching and inspiring.

May God grant many Megabytes to your phone because you touch lives with these words of yours.

And may the good lord continue to bless and keep us all.

Happy new month darlings smiley

Thanks bro. Amen Amen Amen.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 10:12am On Sep 01, 2014
Rich4god: happy new month to you all...

Same to you bro.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by IFY124(f): 11:14am On Sep 01, 2014
Thank you Syncan for that beautiful write up and amen to your prayers. @Kiddablingzz, journey mercies. Happy new month friends

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 11:15am On Sep 01, 2014
IFY124: Thank you Syncan for that beautiful write up and amen to your prayers. @Kiddablingzz, journey mercies. Happy new month friends

Nne, you're welcome.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by debbie(f): 11:16am On Sep 01, 2014
sweetheart.....bless you too smiley
Kamsified: @debbie God bless you
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 11:21am On Sep 01, 2014
debbie: HAPPY NEW MONTH MY BELOVED PEOPLE....Remember,there is nothing difficult for God to do.
Was the last month not so good for you?
Were you disappointed?
Did you see yourself not achieving what you set out to do?
Are you doubting the promises made over your life?

But you are alive to see this new month,so cheer up...we have a loving Father who see and knows the best for us.
Always trust in him,even in the most difficult situation
HE IS ABLE
MARANATHA

Amen Amen.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 11:34am On Sep 01, 2014
Kamsified:
See the contradiction in those two posts? That's one of the flaws of relativism. At some point, the relativist shoots himself in the foot especially whenever he dares to correct some other person(s) on what he (the relativist) believes to be wrong tongue

Kindly explain why you think the two posts are contradictory.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by wonda26(m): 11:36am On Sep 01, 2014
Syncan: "...I came to you in weakness and fear and much trembling, and my message and my proclamation were not with persuasive words of wisdom,
but with a demonstration of spirit and power, so that your faith might rest not on human wisdom but on the power of God
". 1Cor2:1-5

How very often we look for God in the mighty wind, only to miss him passing by in the gentle breeze. Oh, how many saints must have passed us by yet we didn't know, overlooking them, or even treating some badly. Imagine that Jesus own people overlooked him...“Is this not the son of Joseph?”...Lk 4:16-30. Yet right before them was the messiah they were waiting for. Many cases have there been, where people were embarrassed after finding out that the one they ridiculed earlier, wasn't that nonentity they thought at first. There's this case of a lady that slapped a top military officer(in plain clothes) in a traffic fracas, having assessed that her wealthy husband could arrest and deal with this man who was driving a car lower in value than her's. Things changed for the woman as her husband was humiliated publicly on the spot, by a group of soldiers acting under the watch of their assaulted Oga. How differently would I have treated Jnrbayano if I knew that God is pleased with him, would I have snapped at Ify124 if I knew she is an authentic visionary who see's the heavenly beings, don't you think I would have been more patient with wonda26 had I known that he stays up all night speaking to the Lord, nor would i have pushed away Chidima disrespectfully; if I knew that despite being my neighbor's maid, she is often visited by the blessed Virgin. Yes, yes, we would have done things differently had we known...but that is the koko... we wouldn't know, for we are expected to see Christ in all, because though he came being weak in appearance, yet exhibits a "demonstration of spirit and power". That person you may treat badly, may just be in possession of the power to bring your miracle home.

Dear Brethren. As we enter once again a new month, may the good Lord look kindly on your good heart desires, may he lighten the burden you bear, give you the serenity to accept graciously what you cannot change, courage to change those you can, the discernment to know the difference, and more so; to guide your path with Divine light. Amen.

Good morning and a splendid day ahead to all.

This is wonderful. Thanks.

Wishing you a fantastic September. May God grant you all your intentions for this month.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 11:36am On Sep 01, 2014
wonda26:

This is wonderful. Thanks.

Wishing you a fantastic September. May God grant you all your intentions for this month.

Thanks. Amen Amen.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 11:57am On Sep 01, 2014
Kamsified:

A very interesting debate going on here!!!!!

If we took cultural relativistism seriously, what could be the consequences?
Firstly, we're not allowed to say the practice(s) of another culture is morally inferior to ours. So for instance we cant say our society that respects freedom of speech is better than another where there is political oppression because that would mean that we’re applying a standard for comparison. So when we see journalists being executed for no other reason other than for reporting what they saw(that maybe against the government), we should all keep mute. But political oppression seems wrong no matter the society it happens. But the cultural relativist excuses such practice from being critisized

Do you accept that the Urhobo traditional marriage rite is superior to that of the Igbo's?

PS: Cultural Relativism, even in its strictest form, does not support hurting someone else.

Kamsified:
Secondly, We’re not permitted to criticize the code of conduct of our society:- According to cultural relativism, the way to know if an action is right or wrong is to ask a simple question ‘is this acceptable within the code of the society in which it took place?’
For instance if you want to know if killing an innocent person(just to give a king a befitting burial) is right or wrong, all you need to do is to ask if it conforms to the moral code of the society in question. If yes, you’re good to go at least from a moral point of view. Isnt this idea very worrisome? More often than not, there are practices existing in our cultures that we might want to improve but according to the cultural relativist, we’re barred from considering ways other cultures might be better than ours.

Thirdly, there would be no such thing as moral progress:- Before now, in the western culture, women were not allowed to vote or be voted for, and they couldn’t even own properties not to talk of running for political positions. Also slavery was a normal thing at some point but for job well done by reformers like Martin Luther King Jr. Now, all the things mentioned have changed and we (or at least most people) view it as progress. But cultural relativism wouldn’t have allowed for any such practices to be challenged. By what measuring stick did we arrive at “no slave trade is better than slave trade”

For me,cultural relativism has plenty flaws and cannot be right. So my answer to your question is NO tongue

*runs to the kitchen to make breakfast before my prince charming Richgod finds me here cheesy

Not so...

Culture, as a way of life of a people, evolves with time. It is not static! The code of conduct you mentioned, had to go through a series of criticism before it became the norm for each society. Cultural Relativism is not saying that a society cannot develop new ways of doing things.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 12:01pm On Sep 01, 2014
Woky... E be like say na peeping mode you dey these days...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 12:03pm On Sep 01, 2014
Kamsified:
I think I know you're angry
Because you logged in and there was no 'mentions' for you abi? cheesy Oya sorry na

Have a safe trip dearie. May God's angels watch over you
lol... Next time, if SSS begin sell form, I go buy for you.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 12:06pm On Sep 01, 2014
KiddaBlingzz: e pass that one o.

Wash the plate

Mumsy dey a little bit busy... Na him make foodmention no dey for you... And, e b like I go keep the plate till I see you come with bread...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 12:13pm On Sep 01, 2014
A friend just informed me that there is a vacancy for an Accountant in a company in Lagos. I am not sure which company. Interviews are likely to be on Friday. Anyone who is interested or has someone else should send the CVs to strikystriktlymi@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 12:15pm On Sep 01, 2014
striktlymi: A friend just informed me that there is a vacancy for an Accountant in a company in Lagos. I am not sure which company. Interviews are likely to be on Friday. Anyone who is interested or has someone else should send the CVs to strikystriktlymi@yahoo.com

That's a good one
Re: A Thread For Catholics by debbie(f): 12:30pm On Sep 01, 2014
Oya happy new month and welcome to ember months cheesy
here i will try and do the roll call.....abeg answer if you are present

Kamsified,IFY124, Syncan,Rich4god,jnrbayano,Kiddablingzz,striktlymi, POPEII, wonda26, italo, Ubenedictus,salc, babestell,Lovethywilbedon,
musKeeto,francistony, frodobee, hurricaneChris, dagr8, chidima, damerry, MrAladin, Mzflexydeeva, MariaGoretti, where is my woky, and to all those i have failed to remember..i am very sorry please

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 12:38pm On Sep 01, 2014
1st to answer present cheesy

*Whispers into her left ear* please make that local shawarma for me bikozienu sad

Tag

Debbie
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 12:38pm On Sep 01, 2014
We full ground... Happy new month to you too @debbie...

(1) (2) (3) ... (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) ... (505) (Reply)

Dreams Interpretation! Dreams Interpretation!! Dreams Interpretation!!! / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.