Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,763 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:04 AM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (188) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (518919 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 12:39pm On Sep 01, 2014
jnrbayano: 1st to answer present

*Whispers into her left ear* please make that local shawarma for me bikozienu sad

Tag

Debbie
I overheard the whisper... So my share go dey dia too...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 12:43pm On Sep 01, 2014
Rich4god: I overheard the whisper... So my share go dey dia too...

Woky, has been enjoying her delicacy since 1974 and we have missed.

Woky, is it fair? embarassed
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 12:51pm On Sep 01, 2014
jnrbayano:

No wonder he hasnt been commenting these days...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 1:53pm On Sep 01, 2014
debbie: Oya happy new month and welcome to ember months cheesy
here i will try and do the roll call.....abeg answer if you are present

Make I help you remember some...
S:
bluerange,stunningjudy, nnekamezor, purplesummer,titoetal,Tobetoe,frankben,emmabest2000,frankysnow,softsparky

from SalC's list...

SalC:
OKpurukata, try69, peppy luv, Chukwudi44,Richieboyn, Cypher Cypher, engrtee, unonso23,mykindofperfect,Nomski0,unongu,youngprofdguru, Demain man, Sirjay50, Harmvirus, Kamsy10, Freddestiny, Shizzle11, cold blooded, Ceej24, Godwin88,leon12,prettyspicey

From kamsified's list...

Kamsified:
Ekolina,dragon2, leonshom, deogratias1,frankysnow,nigerianmovie,rufex07, xynerise, ijigaparadox, vessi, maryclaire1, shizzle11, wealthywisemen, tobetoe,jsunex, chozkiel, prettyspicey, wonda26,Amack, Fmary,tosscash1, APContherun,titoetal, gbaskipro, katier00, sunshinelady,olotumogbo, viexcey, uzolexis, resourceman,justeenaleo, Aventura,bamipet01, octaves,clearwaters, ladycarol, btoks, mrarranger

Antie Debbie is wishing all of una happy new month o.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by debbie(f): 1:59pm On Sep 01, 2014
bros thanx,atleast you have come to my rescue.....daalu
Syncan:

from SalC's list...

From kamsified's list...

Antie Debbie wishing all of una happy new month o.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 2:00pm On Sep 01, 2014
debbie: bros thanx,atleast you have come to my rescue.....daalu

You're welcome, If bros doesn't come to Sis's rescue, who will cheesy
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Mzflexydeeva(f): 2:03pm On Sep 01, 2014

Kamsified,IFY124, Syncan,Rich4god,jnrbayano,Kiddablingzz,striktlymi, POPEII, wonda26, italo, Ubenedictus,salc, babestell,Lovethywilbedon,
musKeeto,francistony, frodobee, hurricaneChris, dagr8, chidima, damerry, MrAladin, Mzflexydeeva, MariaGoretti, where is my woky, and to all those i have failed to remember..i am very sorry please
greetings
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Mzflexydeeva(f): 2:06pm On Sep 01, 2014
A very happy new month to every1. I'm thankful to God for grace and mercy so far. O blessed mother Mary intercede for us as we say hail Mary full of grace.....

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 2:07pm On Sep 01, 2014
Mzflexydeeva: A very happy new month to every1. I'm thankful to God for grace and mercy so far. O blessed mother Mary intercede for us as we say hail Mary full of grace.....

Welcome Sis.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by btoks: 2:11pm On Sep 01, 2014
Syncan:

from SalC's list...

From kamsified's list...

I greet you, and wish you all God's blessings.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 2:15pm On Sep 01, 2014
btoks: I greet you, and wish you all God's blessings.

Welcome. God bless you too as you show face more often.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 2:22pm On Sep 01, 2014
Syncan:

from SalC's list...

From kamsified's list...

Hapi new month Wonderful palssmiley

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Katier00(f): 2:29pm On Sep 01, 2014
Syncan:

from SalC's list...

From kamsified's list...

Happy new month to you too. May we all recieve more than we ask for this month. One love

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by frodobee: 2:30pm On Sep 01, 2014

Kamsified,IFY124, Syncan,Rich4god,jnrbayano,Kiddablingzz,striktlymi, POPEII, wonda26, italo, Ubenedictus,salc, babestell,Lovethywilbedon,
musKeeto,francistony, frodobee, hurricaneChris, dagr8, chidima, damerry, MrAladin, Mzflexydeeva, MariaGoretti, where is my woky, and to all those i have failed to remember..i am very sorry please
@Debbie that's being thoughtful and kind. thank you and a happy new Month to you too.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Justeenaleo(f): 2:31pm On Sep 01, 2014
Syncan:

from SalC's list...

From kamsified's list...

Happy new month

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 2:48pm On Sep 01, 2014

and i wasnt forgotten! *dancing kolomental*

and to those who wished me journey mercies(esp IFY124,syncan,rich4god), i cant thank you enough. I love you all.

And yes o. Ayaf reacheth grin

unfasten your seatbelts everyone grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 3:12pm On Sep 01, 2014
KiddaBlingzz: and i wasnt forgotten! *dancing kolomental*

and to those who wished me journey mercies(esp IFY124,syncan,rich4god), i cant thank you enough. I love you all.

And yes o. Ayaf reacheth grin

unfasten your seatbelts everyone grin
If you no buy bread, dont boda coming bck... Btw... Gud to you arrived safely... Wishing you a wonderful stay over... Atleast make only me and my mumsy dey house for now... :p
Re: A Thread For Catholics by shizzle11(m): 3:15pm On Sep 01, 2014
Syncan:

from SalC's list...

From kamsified's list...

Thank you so much bruv.

And to all my brethrens, wishing you all a fulfilling and rewarding 'ember month in 2014 cheesy

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 3:31pm On Sep 01, 2014
Rich4god: Woky... E be like say na peeping mode you dey these days...
Lol.. I no peep ooooo
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 3:34pm On Sep 01, 2014

your Woky is here dear

happy new month to you too!!!!!
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 3:42pm On Sep 01, 2014
jnrbayano:

Lol.. no be lie bro grin

her delicacy has been making sense since 1974 cheesycheesy
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 3:54pm On Sep 01, 2014
@debbie: Present. how are you doing?

Make una calm down with the quoting biko.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 4:08pm On Sep 01, 2014
musKeeto: @debbie: Present. how are you doing?

Make una calm down with the quoting biko.
what is muskeeto doing here?? na today you go know say I be insecticide grin grin

been a while bro smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 4:37pm On Sep 01, 2014
woky: what is muskeeto doing here?? na today you go know say I be insecticide grin grin

been a while bro smiley
Lool.
Yeah. Hw r u r? grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 4:47pm On Sep 01, 2014
Thanks, Debbilicious. tongue Happy new month to you all.

Safe journey, Kiddablingzz. smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 5:32pm On Sep 01, 2014
striktlymi:

I understand and agree.

Is it impractical to hold the view of Relativism and still go ahead to correct what is perceived as wrong? I don't think being a Relativist would hold one back from furthering whatever it is the individual considers to be 'appropriate behaviour'.
There lies the problem. Relativism doesn't agree with this post except it abandons one or two of its claims

striktlymi:

...but is truth not relative?

I think that Relativism is an attempt to let people know how unfair it will be to use one 'measuring stick' to judge the actions of men.

How do you correct what you already claim to be right? What measuring stick did you use. As a matter of fact how did you conclude that a behavior is more appropriate than the other.
I've bn opportuned to check out a few books on the subject, you'll discover that many thinkers rejected relativism because of those flaws I earlier pointed. The contradiction in your posts is that in the first post you're judging one behavior as more appropriate than the other. That is in itself against one of the claims by the relativist (note that relativism claims that 'we must not judge one culture as better than the other and whatever a society considers right is right for them) so for instance if a society decides that a woman must not be allowed to vote, then it's right for them and mustn't be challenged. How do you challenge what is right?

Yet in your second post you agreed that there is no measuring stick to judge a behavior as better. So my question is 'how did you discover that one behavior is more appropriate? What measuring stick did you use?Before we talk about changing it(yet changing same behavior offends at least one of the claims of cultural relativism
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 5:41pm On Sep 01, 2014
striktlymi:

Do you accept that the Urhobo traditional marriage rite is superior to that of the Igbo's?

PS: Cultural Relativism, even in its strictest form, does not support hurting someone else.

Not so...

Culture, as a way of life of a people, evolves with time. It is not static! The code of conduct you mentioned, had to go through a series of criticism before it became the norm for each society. Cultural Relativism is not saying that a society cannot develop new ways of doing things.

I think I have to first of all list the five claims made by cultural relativism for easier comprehension:
1. Different societies have different moral codes
2. What a society considers right is right, at least within that society
3. It is arrogant to judge one culture as better than the other
4. There is no measuring stick or universal standard to judge which culture is better than the other
5. D code of our society is simply one out of many

So whatever you post has to stay away from offending any of these claims for it to correct
tongue
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 5:59pm On Sep 01, 2014
Kamsified:
There lies the problem. Relativism doesn't agree with this post except it abandons one or two of its claims

How do you correct what you already claim to be right? What measuring stick did you use. As a matter of fact how did you conclude that a behavior is more appropriate than the other.
I've bn opportuned to check out a few books on the subject, you'll discover that many thinkers rejected relativism because of those flaws I earlier pointed. The contradiction in your posts is that in the first post you're judging one behavior as more appropriate than the other. That is in itself against one of the claims by the relativist (note that relativism claims that 'we must not judge one culture as better than the other and whatever a society considers right is right for them) so for instance if a society decides that a woman must not be allowed to vote, then it's right for them and mustn't be challenged. How do you challenge what is right?

Yet in your second post you agreed that there is no measuring stick to judge a behavior as better. So my question is 'how did you discover that one behavior is more appropriate? What measuring stick did you use?Before we talk about changing it(yet changing same behavior offends at least one of the claims of cultural relativism

God says thou shalt not kill...
Killing is to commit murder...
Anyone who commits murder without repenting goes to hell...
Our forefathers 'murdered' innocent children in cold blood...
Thus, our forefathers are in hell.

The above argument is exactly what it means to use one measuring stick for every society; and to abandon totally the principles of Relativism. The contradiction you see in my comments are largely because you are looking at one application of Relativism. Like I mentioned before, I am not looking at Relativism in its extreme application. My focus is on Relativism as it influences are perception of what we consider to be true/fact.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 6:02pm On Sep 01, 2014
striktlymi:

God says thou shalt not kill...
Killing is to commit murder...
Anyone who commits murder without repenting goes to hell...
Our forefathers 'murdered' innocent children in cold blood...
Thus, our forefathers are in hell.

The above argument is exactly what it means to use one measuring stick for every society; and to abandon totally the principles of Relativism. The contradiction you see in my comments are largely because you are looking at one application of Relativism. Like I mentioned before, I am not looking at Relativism in its extreme application. My focus is on Relativism as it influences are perception of what we consider to be true/fact.
Can you define what is true/fact? Because if you consider something to be universally true or fact, you're already offending relativism.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 6:17pm On Sep 01, 2014
Kamsified:

I think I have to first of all list the five claims made by cultural relativism for easier comprehension:
1. Different societies have different moral codes
2. What a society considers right is right, at least within that society
3. It is arrogant to judge one culture as better than the other
4. There is no measuring stick or universal standard to judge which culture is better than the other
5. D code of our society is simply one out of many

So whatever you post has to stay away from offending any of these claims for it to correct
tongue

The bold made me smile. Sorry but that does not promote knowledge. I would modify the five points thus:

1. Different societies have different moral codes within the context of their level of exposure.

2. What a society considers right is right, at least within that society; if they do not know any better.

3. It is arrogant to judge one culture as better than the other; if that judgement is done outside the moral codes of the respective societies.

4. There is no measuring stick or universal standard to judge which culture is better than the other, if done outside the context of what the society in question knows.

5. D code of our society is simply one out of many.

I noticed you did not answer the question I asked. For the avoidance of doubt, the question again is:

Do you consider the Igbo traditional marriage rites as better than that of the Urobos?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 6:21pm On Sep 01, 2014
Kamsified:
Can you define what is true/fact? Because if you consider something to be universally true or fact, you're already offending relativism.

No, that will only 'offend' one application of Relativism. "True" in this context is whatever is exact and sincere.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by IFY124(f): 6:27pm On Sep 01, 2014

@ Debbie present! Happy new month

(1) (2) (3) ... (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.