Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,465 members, 7,826,769 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:02 PM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (202) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (519800 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (199) (200) (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 1:30am On Sep 22, 2014
Kamsified: @Salc Really missed you loads. I actually specially prayed for you against ebola cos of your job family.
Welcome back dearest and don't stop the good work you've been doing here.

My bed calling now. Plenty hugs
Oh dear, I appreciate.

All the best!
Sleep like a baby and may God's grace wake us up strong. smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 1:32am On Sep 22, 2014
SalC: Oh dear, I appreciate.

All the best!
Sleep like a baby and may God's grace wake us up strong. smiley
All the best to you too dearie. Nite nite
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 1:39am On Sep 22, 2014
SalC: Yeah, just when you thought you've seen it all, you stumble on another good one.
I tells ya
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 2:48am On Sep 22, 2014
Kamsified:

Quoted for future reference
Thanks for sharing

Happy Sunday sweetheart
Wish you same my zing... Have a nice week ahead...

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 3:03am On Sep 22, 2014
And when I was thinking to be the FTC on page 200.... There is God o... Nice to have mumsy back... Waiting for Kiddablingz...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 3:12am On Sep 22, 2014
Davik01: Pls i ve a question. Who trains the missionary or religous priests? Are they responsible 4 their training or does the mission cater 4 them? Tnk.
Most time, its 50-50 payment between the missionary body and your family. Sometimes, the mission pay most of the fees then your family pay for study materials as required by the Seminary you attend (I think, the Vincentian congregation do this)... By there are some missionary order that pays 100percent of your training, except if you parent decide to make donation. This is because, by the time you start attending the seminary for priesthood, you are already a full blown brother of the order. Franciscan/Carmelite orders do this...

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 3:48am On Sep 22, 2014
Day 4
Reflection from... Luke 16:19-31

19 “There was a rich man who was dressed
in purple and fine linen and who feasted
sumptuously every day.20 And at his gate
lay a poor man named Lazarus, covered with
sores,21 who longed to satisfy his hunger
with what fell from the rich man’s table;
even the dogs would come and lick his
sores.22 The poor man died and was
carried away by the angels to be with
Abraham.[a] The rich man also died and was
buried. 23 In Hades, where he was being
tormented, he looked up and saw Abraham
far away with Lazarus by his side.[b] 24 He
called out, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on
me, and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his
finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am
in agony in these flames.’25 But Abraham
said, ‘Child, remember that during your
lifetime you received your good things, and
Lazarus in like manner evil things; but now
he is comforted here, and you are in agony.
26 Besides all this, between you and us a
great chasm has been fixed, so that those
who might want to pass from here to you
cannot do so, and no one can cross from
there to us.’27 He said, ‘Then, father, I beg
you to send him to my father’s house— 28
for I have five brothers—that he may warn
them, so that they will not also come into
this place of torment.’29 Abraham replied,
‘They have Moses and the prophets; they
should listen to them.’30 He said, ‘No, father
Abraham; but if someone goes to them from
the dead, they will repent.’31 He said to him,
‘If they do not listen to Moses and the
prophets, neither will they be convinced
even if someone rises from the dead.’”
Most of us are familiar with this passage. But have we ever wondered why the rich man went to hades. Much wasnt told about his life, except for the fact that he always host expensive feast in his home, which doesnt seem bad cos its not wrong to host feast. But from the passage, we can see that he went to hades because of the spirit of negligence... Remember our reflection for Day one, where God said that He is giving us a command; to help the poor ones among us. It was obvious from the passage that the rich man didnt pay heed to that command. Who knows, the rich man might have been a church goer, he might have made his wealth legitimately, but he neglected the poor person sitting right in front of his house. And this cost him dearly. You know, most of us are guilty of this. We neglect so many things in this life and think that it doesnt count. Look around you, you will see a lot of people that you can help not necessarily financially, but by our time, action and kind words we can help soften the pain and hardship they pass through in this world. As a young person/student, how do you see the fact that your next door neighbour sometimes goes to bed on empty stomach while there are varieties of food in your frigde and the food sometimes end up in the bin... In the evening/weekends, you go to bar/party(s), spending so much on drinks and unnecessary foods while the person leaving next to you is looking for a little cash to pay for his medical bill... You spend so much time on watching films, playing music and dancing while there are some sick/old/dying people who just needed some one to talk to. As a parent/guardian, how do you see the fact that some of the kids in your neighbourhood are looking tattered while your kids have excess cloths in their boxes that they havent worn for years and probably wont wear again. In the morning you take your kids to sch, driving past those tattered kids whilst there are enough space in your car. On weekends, you take your kids to expensive eateris and parks spending so much while some of those kids have not been to school in the past week due to school fees. So much for being our brothers keeper... No one is saying you shouldnt have a good time or spend on your kids, but try to do it wisely and to strike a balance... Left for me, judging from today's standard, the rich man even tried... Cos its not everyone that can allow someone who have a sore wound on his body hanging around his compound, but still yet that wasnt enough in the eyes of God... In other words, dont say that you have done enough or done your part... But keep doing the little that you can afford to do and never give up. Someone ones said... "that if we know the joy and blessing we recieve we when help the needy, then we will spend everyday of our life begging someone so as to help him/her.
We pray that through the Holy Spirit, we wont neglect the needy... Esp when we have the means to help them... For it is only in giving that we recieve....
Have a nice week ahead...

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 6:34am On Sep 22, 2014
modestdude: They are responsible for their training viz tuition, academic and spiritual materials etc however, the missionary supports them with feeding from farm proceeds and food donations from parishes. Also, the tuition is usually subsidized
Ok thanks.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by vest(m): 7:20am On Sep 22, 2014
SalC: http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/apolog.htm
Bookmark Hmm! Nice 1, We Should Also Visit Dis Site www.Catholic.Com Every Week To See New Issues Updated
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:24am On Sep 22, 2014
Rich4god: Day 4

Most of us are familiar with this passage. But have we ever wondered why the rich man went to hades. Much wasnt told about his life, except for the fact that he always host expensive feast in his home, which doesnt seem bad cos its not wrong to host feast. But from the passage, we can see that he went to hades because of the spirit of negligence... Remember our reflection for Day one, where God said that He is giving us a command; to help the poor ones among us. It was obvious from the passage that the rich man didnt pay heed to that command. Who knows, the rich man might have been a church goer, he might have made his wealth legitimately, but he neglected the poor person sitting right in front of his house. And this cost him dearly. You know, most of us are guilty of this. We neglect so many things in this life and think that it doesnt count. Look around you, you will see a lot of people that you can help not necessarily financially, but by our time, action and kind words we can help soften the pain and hardship they pass through in this world. As a young person/student, how do you see the fact that your next door neighbour sometimes goes to bed on empty stomach while there are varieties of food in your frigde and the food sometimes end up in the bin... In the evening/weekends, you go to bar/party(s), spending so much on drinks and unnecessary foods while the person leaving next to you is looking for a little cash to pay for his medical bill... You spend so much time on watching films, playing music and dancing while there are some sick/old/dying people who just needed some one to talk to. As a parent/guardian, how do you see the fact that some of the kids in your neighbourhood are looking tattered while your kids have excess cloths in their boxes that they havent worn for years and probably wont wear again. In the morning you take your kids to sch, driving past those tattered kids whilst there are enough space in your car. On weekends, you take your kids to expensive eateris and parks spending so much while some of those kids have not been to school in the past week due to school fees. So much for being our brothers keeper... No one is saying you shouldnt have a good time or spend on your kids, but try to do it wisely and to strike a balance... Left for me, judging from today's standard, the rich man even tried... Cos its not everyone that can allow someone who have a sore wound on his body hanging around his compound, but still yet that wasnt enough in the eyes of God... In other words, dont say that you have done enough or done your part... But keep doing the little that you can afford to do and never give up. Someone ones said... "that if we know the joy and blessing we recieve we when help the needy, then we will spend everyday of our life begging someone so as to help him/her.
We pray that through the Holy Spirit, we wont neglect the needy... Esp when we have the means to help them... For it is only in giving that we recieve....
Nice one, Thanks for sharing
Re: A Thread For Catholics by vest(m): 7:28am On Sep 22, 2014
For He(christ) Establish A Single Church

To Ensure A Single Message

Would Lead Every Single Person

On A Single Path, Through That Single Narrow Door To Savation.

Good Manwin Every Single Person Happy New Week.

Salc Peeping Is Nt........

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 10:35am On Sep 22, 2014
Hello SalC smiley

Hi kamsified. smiley

Good morning house.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by damerry(m): 11:23am On Sep 22, 2014
SalC: Damerry congratulations! Am happy for you, GO! Do your very best, have faith in God, your success is sure! smiley

Thanks a lot!. smileysmileysmiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 11:39am On Sep 22, 2014
vest: For He(christ) Establish A Single Church

To Ensure A Single Message

Would Lead Every Single Person

On A Single Path, Through That Single Narrow Door To Savation.

Good Manwin Every Single Person Happy New Week.

Salc Peeping Is Nt........
Same to you dear, I wasn't peeping, just that I left too quickly, have a nice day
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 11:47am On Sep 22, 2014
FrankySnow: Hello SalC smiley

Hi kamsified. smiley

Good morning house.
Hello dearie how is you? smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 12:14pm On Sep 22, 2014
peppyluv02: Peace be unto you all...

@ ubenedictus, i noticed you to be a tribalist and you don't like the Igbos but who am I to judge you afterall I showed same towards the yorubas but I have withdrawn from that. The only difference is that I didn't pretend about it like you did. Sorry,no offence. Just saying it as it is.
And I guess you know that wole soyinka who is also a yoruba man agreed the North waged an unjust way against the Igbos..
Trust me 40yrs isn't too long ago. You and I know no tribe would have survived nor gotten back on their feet so soon as the Igbos did..no bragging just saying the truth.

just came back after a few days offline an I saw this....

I am suddenly tribalistic because i condemned ethnicity and tribalism..... That is absolutely interesting.

I don't know what to say and I'm not sure I really want to say anything.

This though i'll say...i have mentioned my tribe very few times on nl, it is totally suprising that i'm tribalistic. I'm strangely interested to know the evidence available to you, with which you have built the opinion of me.

@modestdude,brother I never knew you were Igbo,thought you were yoruba. But now I guess tribe doesn't matter,we should strive towards being one. Yea,it won't be easy. 40yrs ago is just like yesterday. I have read and did my research on the war, it was an unjust one but like I said,we can forgive even thou they still taunt, mock and marginalise us but turn around to put the blame on us....they have even brainwashed people to believing Ojukwu started the war but we know better and Gowon does too. His concience hunts him and he knew clearly that the vote of thanks he got from the MC @ late prof Akunyili's burial was pure sacarsm "Gowon,I remember you gave us,the surviving children of Biafra stones to sit on after the war,it shows you really meant reconciliation and we thank you"....he was so restless where he was siting and one could notice the grin on the faces of the Igbo elders there. Sure,Gowon's concience must be hunting him.
The day he comes out boldly to apologise for that unjust war,trust me there will be peace and many wounds will be healed.. I wish he will do that.

@ Francistony, age shouldn't be a form of defence for your ignorance. I might be older than you but I wasn't up to 10yrs of age before I picked interest on the Biafran story neither was I through with primary school before I made up my mind to be a teacher/Lecturer and don't get it twisted I am in my mid twenties! I have a 20yrs old brother,a 4th year medical student who knows much about the war and can speak intelligently about it so you see,you have no excuse for your ignorance.
Even thou you are unrepentant,I still wouldn't withdraw my apologies for insulting your parents but trust me,in life situation,I would have ripped you apart with my bare hands but for the sake of this beautiful family,I leave you to your ignorance.

I apologise for derailing this beautiful thread, just felt we should be real and be truly who we claim to be.
Love you guys irrespective of tribe,race or colour and pls don't stop the good work.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 12:22pm On Sep 22, 2014
Kamsified:

Uncle Uben how do you plead? shocked

*spreads mat* cheesy

PS we only need a yes or no answer.
Thanks in advance. I greet you sir
hehehe...

Na dat kind story you dey like abi?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 1:11pm On Sep 22, 2014
SalC: This got me laughing, never knew Uben steals tongue am just hearing this, and thank God for your vindication grin

hehehehe

i won that one clean and clear, i know she was jealous of my victory.

Infact i have a feeling maybe she has a hand in the nl tsnami, (the thing only favour her).
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 1:14pm On Sep 22, 2014
babestell: OMG!!! shocked shocked cry

am so emotional. This first position is a landmark for me. I remember when I was supposed to be FTC on page 650 before the tsunami and ubenedictus stole my mandat by the fact he was using airtel as against my mtn. But now God has vindicated me. I can sleep in peace. See you all at a decent hour grin

i've been there and done it. page 500 will be a true landmark.

Enjoy ur victory while it lasts.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 1:22pm On Sep 22, 2014
SalC: Tag Uben? *coughs*

Tag Syncan? Lol

Tag Modestdude? That's cool

Tag italo? I can give a resounding No for now, but who knows tomorrow?
salkc...oh sorry salc, welcome back, thank God all issue keeping you away have been resolved.

Take baba blue. smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 1:28pm On Sep 22, 2014
Ubenedictus:

just came back after a few days offline an I saw this....

I am suddenly tribalistic because i condemned ethnicity and tribalism..... That is absolutely interesting.

I don't know what to say and I'm not sure I really want to say anything.

This though i'll say...i have mentioned my tribe very few times on nl, it is totally suprising that i'm tribalistic. I'm strangely interested to know the evidence available to you, with which you have built the opinion of me.

Please can you just put an end to this already, I don't see anything charitable coming out of it,

Seriously, I wonder what happens here, why is that when something worthwhile is happening here is when we see much ado about nothing just to distract us,
Lent, and you see uncharitable banters, Pentecost, same happened and now instead of facing the novena, we have to argue and counter argue on tribalistic whatever? Smh.

Just let it go please..let's concentrate. Nuf said. Thanks in advance.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 1:32pm On Sep 22, 2014
Kamsified:

Tag: Ubenedictus, Syncan, Modestdude, Italo

@Davik01 Hopefully they'll have an answer for you cos I know not. But first of all, are you a catholic? If yes,Which parish?

@ davik01, there is no one way of doing it. It depends on the individual communities.

Some communities are poor, they mainly rely of contributions, as an extension those studying for the priesthood are reponsible for their tuition. They usually print some letters and such which the brother take to well to do people to solicit for funds. If your family is rich then then you are lucky. Other share the fee between the candidate and the communities.

Then there are some rich communities where the religious house pays everything. (in these cases the candidates are usually fully professed brother.)

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 1:34pm On Sep 22, 2014
Ubenedictus:

hehehehe

i won that one clean and clear, i know she was jealous of my victory.

Infact i have a feeling maybe she has a hand in the nl tsnami, (the thing only favour her).
Hmm this is becoming interesting grin

Babestell accused Ubenedictus of stealing the position that supposedly belonged to her

Ubenedictus accused babestell of hacking Nairaland just to wipe away his deserved victory

SalC spreads mat to observe the unfolding of events grin grin grin grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 1:39pm On Sep 22, 2014
Ubenedictus: salkc...oh sorry salc, welcome back, thank God all issue keeping you away have been resolved.

Take baba blue. smiley
Lol Uben looking for trouble since 1672 grin

Yes I thank God too.

Hmm don't offer me that baba blue abi na baba green, just answer the question.

Are you a religious?

Don't let me start dishing out informations and don't even try to cut corners cheesy
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 1:50pm On Sep 22, 2014
SalC: Please can you just put an end to this already, I don't see anything charitable coming out of it,

Seriously, I wonder what happens here, why is that when something worthwhile is happening here is when we see much ado about nothing just to distract us,
Lent, and you see uncharitable banters, Pentecost, same happened and now instead of facing the novena, we have to argue and counter argue on tribalistic whatever? Smh.

Just let it go please..let's concentrate. Nuf said. Thanks in advance.

*smiles*

actually i hope some good come of such discussion. The issue i'm raising concerns me personally, (it no longer a matter of just different ideas, this is about my person, to correct the erring is still a good work) if i'm guity of tribalism then its a good opportunity for me to come to terms with it and address it....

I'll kindly ask that you tolerate this.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 2:03pm On Sep 22, 2014
striktlymi: Ubenedictus

Yesterday was a real life case of what I believe Relativism should be about. People see things from very different and unique perspective due to their socio-cultural exposure; which also affects their unique view of what is true and real.

I have seen a lot of arguments put forth by some 'Christian scholars' here on nairaland from both Catholics and protestants, postulating that absolute truth exists and is a given. From their viewpoint absolute truth is dependent on what God says it is.

The bold is where the argument of absolute truth falls apart in my opinion. Truth now becomes relative to God.
...i don't think the exact thing to say is truth is relative to God. God by his very nature is truth. Our different perspectives not withstanding, there is still absolute truth.

If an absolute truth doesn't exist then i can calmly say nothing is true.

An aside:

I figured you are a Religious. I am 95% certain. Your thought process, the books you are interested in and your area of research proves it for me.

my thought process

Are you sure you've figured out that one, my thoughts are wonderfully complicated.

Besides, i may very well just be a young man who loves reading old boring books.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 2:06pm On Sep 22, 2014
SalC: Hmm this is becoming interesting grin

Babestell accused Ubenedictus of stealing the position that supposedly belonged to her

Ubenedictus accused babestell of hacking Nairaland just to wipe away his deserved victory

SalC spreads mat to observe the unfolding of events grin grin grin grin

salc taking note since 8 BC...

I didn't accuse yet... I just have a feeling....
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 2:09pm On Sep 22, 2014
SalC: Lol Uben looking for trouble since 1672 grin

Yes I thank God too.

Hmm don't offer me that baba blue abi na baba green, just answer the question.

Are you a religious?

Don't let me start dishing out informations and don't even try to cut corners cheesy

heheehee.

Those informations you have been keeping since 1900
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 2:40pm On Sep 22, 2014
Ubenedictus:
...i don't think the exact thing to say is truth is relative to God. God by his very nature is truth. Our different perspectives not withstanding, there is still absolute truth.

If an absolute truth doesn't exist then i can calmly say nothing is true.

What would you say truth is in relation to human interactions? I am not asking with respect to God's nature.

Ubenedictus:
my thought process

Are you sure you've figured out that one, my thoughts are wonderfully complicated.

Besides, i may very well just be a young man who loves reading old boring books.

I am now 98% sure that you are a Religious.

Probably not a Jesuit or some other missionary congregation.

You don't sound Diocesan too.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 3:49pm On Sep 22, 2014
striktlymi:

What would you say truth is in relation to human interactions? I am not asking with respect to God's nature.
i could easily say that "truth" in human interaction is what is true, but that statement is counter productive.

Each individual sees truth according to his or her lenses...but i believe that even in those cases there still remains an objective truth. What do u think?

I am now 98% sure that you are a Religious.

Probably not a Jesuit or some other missionary congregation.

You don't sound Diocesan too.
the jesuits will cherish a long philosophical argument, the missionaries will be "missionary" and the older congregation with their own intellectual and theological strians will be more rigid.

So you are puting me in the rigid category?

What if you are wrong on all counts?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 5:04pm On Sep 22, 2014
Ubenedictus: i could easily say that "truth" in human interaction is what is true, but that statement is counter productive.

Each individual sees truth according to his or her lenses...but i believe that even in those cases there still remains an objective truth. What do u think?

I think, in that regard, the objectivity of truth largely depends on what we agree to be the reference point. It would be difficult to say how objective truth is without defining the basis on which whatever we hold as true is established.

I can say, it is true that a man commits murder when he kills another wrongfully. If we do not define what we consider as 'wrongful killing' then I think it may be a bit cumbersome to say what is true in this case.

If we look at a set of Integers 'Z' such that 'x' is a member of Z where Z contains the values -3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3 on the real number line. Would it be true to conclude that 'x' = 1 is contained in that set?

Of course it would be true because the parameters are well defined. If on the other hand, I did not define the parameters and just gave a closed set of (1,2) and asked the same question; I am almost sure that everyone may argue that 'x' = 1 is contained in the set.

If I go on to define my set as (4-3,2) that may influence the various answers and opinions. Note that (4-3,2) is not necessarily the same as (1,2).

The point I am trying to make here is that truth may not be objective if it is not properly defined.

Ubenedictus:
the jesuits will cherish a long philosophical argument, the missionaries will be "missionary" and the older congregation with their own intellectual and theological strians will be more rigid.

So you are puting me in the rigid category?

What if you are wrong on all counts?

I don't think you belong to any congregation that is as rigid as some of the mendicant orders. I presume you would be somewhere in between. A congregation that allows some degree of flexibility. Somewhere in between MSP or SPS and the Vocationist. Not strictly missionary and not 'too religious'.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 8:55pm On Sep 22, 2014
Rich4god: Day 4

Amen. Thanks darl for sharing

(1) (2) (3) ... (199) (200) (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.