Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,920 members, 7,952,701 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 09:40 PM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (317) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (527768 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by vest(m): 9:17am On Feb 22, 2015
is there any tin lyk black mass in the catholic church
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 9:37am On Feb 22, 2015
vest:
There is no such thing in the Catholic Church. Black masses are conducted by satanists to mock the Catholic Mass.

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by stuff46(m): 11:53am On Feb 22, 2015
vest:

Mayb their is,
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 4:29pm On Feb 22, 2015
When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the prince of glory died
My richest gain I count but loss
And pour contempt on all my pride

Forbit it Lord that I should boast
Save in the death of Christ my God
All the vain things that charm me most
I sacrifice them to his blood

See from his head, his hands, his feet
Sorrow n love flow mingled down
Did e'er such love n sorrow meet
Or thorns compose so rich a crown

Were the whole realm of nature mine
That were an offering far too small
Love so amazing so divine
Demands my soul, my heart, my all

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 4:30pm On Feb 22, 2015
Rich4god:
LENTEN SUNDAY BANQUET: Gen. 9:8-15, 1 Pet. 3:18-22, Mt. 1:12-15. Being the first Sunday of Lent, the Church invites us to renew our covenant and relationship with God. Lent provides us with the opportunity to shed off our “spiritually tired and weak skin” in order to wear a more durable one for our Journey. Our first reading recounts the unconditional covenant specifically, between God and Noah; and generally, between God and humanity. This renewal must come from our sincere hearts, rather than from only our lips. Peter in the second reading reminds us of God’s New Covenant with us through Christ. He paid the great price in order to restore us to God. At every point in the Gospels, we are meant to identify with Jesus. God became man that man might become God. We participate in his and thereby learn what a godly life is like. The devil first tempts him to make his own sensual pleasure the centre of His life, to measure good and evil by what sensually satisfies Him. But Jesus reverses the momentum: "One does not live by bread alone..." Next, Satan takes Jesus to the parapet of the Temple and tempts him to make His ego the centre of his life, to make his own glory the measure of good and evil. But Jesus again counters: "You shall not put the Lord, your God, to the test." And then the devil takes him to a high mountain: "All these I shall give to you, if you will prostrate yourself and worship me." The temptation is to make power the centre of His life, to make of His own authority the measure of good and evil. But Jesus replies: "Get away, Satan! It is written: 'The Lord, your God, shall you worship and him alone shall you serve.' The account in Matthew ends with: "Then the devil left Him." At the word of Jesus, even Satan must depart. May the Lord deepen our understanding of Him and make it the reality in the conduct of our lives! Amen!! Happy Sunday!!!
Amen
Happy Sunday to you as well
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 7:11am On Feb 23, 2015
LENTEN BOUQUET: Lev. 19:1-2.11-18, Mt. 25:31-46. In today's Gospel, the Lord lays before us practical ways of observing God's Commandments. The first reading is taken from the collection of various regulations concerning daily life, all connected by the refrain, "I am the LORD, your God" and "Be holy, for I, the LORD your God, am holy" articulates the motto and motivation of Israelite morality. Among so many laws which show the rather primitive level of God's people, we marvel to find some prescriptions that teach deeply human attitude. The golden rule, "Love your neighbour as yourself" was given a more extended and universal meaning by Jesus in the parable of the separation of the sheep from the goat. Here Jesus teaches love in action. In the parable, we realise that the recitation of prayers or presence at prayer meetings is really of no use if our prayer life does not result in our outreach towards the sick, the lonely, the depressed, the hungry, the needy and the less privileged in our neighbourhood. When we do something for one of Christ's little ones, we do it for Christ. This truth should prompt our actions not just during Lent but always. May the Lord turn our hearts back to Himself, may He form us by His heavenly teaching, so that we may truly profit by our Lenten observances! Amen! Good morning, have a successful and fulfilled working week!!!

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 7:50am On Feb 23, 2015
From Today's readings LV 19:1-2, 11-18

“Speak to the whole assembly of the children of Israel and tell them: Be holy, for I, the LORD, your God, am holy.“You shall not steal.
You shall not lie or speak falsely to one another. You shall not swear falsely by my name..."

I praise the saints of the old testament and hold them a lot in high esteem, do you know why? I will tell you. There's this primary school maths book called lacombe maths, it was more difficult to grasp than the one in "Key to success". Even when it was difficult to comprehend physics using the book by Abbot, it was easier to understand same thing when you read from the one written by "PN Okeke and others", Or which is easier to comprehend prose between "Lonely Londoners" and "Eze goes to school". How easy was it to grasp chemistry using the book authored by "Holdernes and Lambert" to using the one authored by "Osei yaw Ababio". Modern day students use visual aids and it's much easier to understand things than earlier. So when God charged the Israelites to be Holy, His method of being holy, which was made up of thou shall not this, thou shall not that... was like using one of those old books to study.

I say this because in our relationships, It's never enough not to curse a child; you have to bless sometimes. You can't be termed affectionate just because you do not beat your wife; you have to caress her often. How can you be called kind for not defrauding your neighbor; you have to lend a helping hand too. This is just how it goes, It's ok not to do wrong, but you're better of doing right. Dear brethren, we are in the Lenten season, searching ourselves, seeking to desist from one vice or the other, to untangle ourselves from the bond of one sin or the other, yes, yes, it's good, yet the best way is to attempt the practice of the opposing virtues, let the glutton fast, let the slanderer praise, let the selfish show generosity, that's more like learning and understanding using the more modern and easier method. You will rise faster.

That's why the Master Himself, Our Lord Jesus, in teaching about Holiness in today's gospel, gave us an insight into what it demands when he said " ...Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me..." MT 25:31-46. This is what we'll be judged with, this is what will make us holier, this is what will bring us closer to God, this is what we need this lent. When you keep the "thou shall not do", that's ok, but if you don't settle for less, then you'll go for "thou shall do". Recall that when the man told Jesus that he had observed all the "thou shall not...", Jesus looked at him and Loved him, but when Jesus wanted something higher for him; he told him "thou shall do...". Mk 10:21.
May our Lady Intercede for us.

Good morning brethren, a splendid day ahead to all.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 8:11am On Feb 23, 2015
Rich4god:
LENTEN BOUQUET: Lev. 19:1-2.11-18, Mt. 25:31-46. In today's Gospel, the Lord lays before us practical ways of observing God's Commandments. The first reading is taken from the collection of various regulations concerning daily life, all connected by the refrain, "I am the LORD, your God" and "Be holy, for I, the LORD your God, am holy" articulates the motto and motivation of Israelite morality. Among so many laws which show the rather primitive level of God's people, we marvel to find some prescriptions that teach deeply human attitude. The golden rule, "Love your neighbour as yourself" was given a more extended and universal meaning by Jesus in the parable of the separation of the sheep from the goat. Here Jesus teaches love in action. In the parable, we realise that the recitation of prayers or presence at prayer meetings is really of no use if our prayer life does not result in our outreach towards the sick, the lonely, the depressed, the hungry, the needy and the less privileged in our neighbourhood. When we do something for one of Christ's little ones, we do it for Christ. This truth should prompt our actions not just during Lent but always. May the Lord turn our hearts back to Himself, may He form us by His heavenly teaching, so that we may truly profit by our Lenten observances! Amen! Good morning, have a successful and fulfilled working week!!!

Thanks bro. God bless you.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:18pm On Feb 23, 2015
Syncan:
From Today's readings LV 19:1-2, 11-18

“Speak to the whole assembly of the children of Israel and tell them: Be holy, for I, the LORD, your God, am holy.“You shall not steal.
You shall not lie or speak falsely to one another. You shall not swear falsely by my name..."

I praise the saints of the old testament and hold them a lot in high esteem, do you know why? I will tell you. There's this primary school maths book called lacombe maths, it was more difficult to grasp than the one in "Key to success". Even when it was difficult to comprehend physics using the book by Abbot, it was easier to understand same thing when you read from the one written by "PN Okeke and others", Or which is easier to comprehend prose between "Lonely Londoners" and "Eze goes to school". How easy was it to grasp chemistry using the book authored by "Holdernes and Lambert" to using the one authored by "Osei yaw Ababio". Modern day students use visual aids and it's much easier to understand things than earlier. So when God charged the Israelites to be Holy, His method of being holy, which was made up of thou shall not this, thou shall not that... was like using one of those old books to study.

I say this because in our relationships, It's never enough not to curse a child; you have to bless sometimes. You can't be termed affectionate just because you do not beat your wife; you have to caress her often. How can you be called kind for not defrauding your neighbor; you have to lend a helping hand too. This is just how it goes, It's ok not to do wrong, but you're better of doing right. Dear brethren, we are in the Lenten season, searching ourselves, seeking to desist from one vice or the other, to untangle ourselves from the bond of one sin or the other, yes, yes, it's good, yet the best way is to attempt the practice of the opposing virtues, let the glutton fast, let the slanderer praise, let the selfish show generosity, that's more like learning and understanding using the more modern and easier method. You will rise faster.

That's why the Master Himself, Our Lord Jesus, in teaching about Holiness in today's gospel, gave us an insight into what it demands when he said " ...Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me..." MT 25:31-46. This is what we'll be judged with, this is what will make us holier, this is what will bring us closer to God, this is what we need this lent. When you keep the "thou shall not do", that's ok, but if you don't settle for less, then you'll go for "thou shall do". Recall that when the man told Jesus that he had observed all the "thou shall not...", Jesus looked at him and Loved him, but when Jesus wanted something higher for him; he told him "thou shall do...". Mk 10:21.
May our Lady Intercede for us.

Good morning brethren, a splendid day ahead to all.

The bold says it all. You see, most times we are simply satisfied and confident in the fact that we don't do wrong that we neglect doing right, I once met a guy who said all he needed to make heaven was; obey the ten commandments.

Sure it's good to obey the ten commandments but it's also obvious that these ten commandments are about things we ought not to do. But then if there are things we shouldn't do, are there not things we ought to do? If you do only harken unto things we shouldn't do while neglecting the ones we should do, we still find ourselves being guilty of "omission"

May God give us the grace to steer clear of things we ought not do while not neglecting the ones we ought to do.

Thanks bro for this insightful exhortation.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 10:57pm On Feb 23, 2015
SalC:
The bold says it all. You see, most times we are simply satisfied and confident in the fact that we don't do wrong that we neglect doing right, I once met a guy who said all he needed to make heaven was; obey the ten commandments.

Sure it's good to obey the ten commandments but it's also obvious that these ten commandments are about things we ought not to do. But then if there are things we shouldn't do, are there not things we ought to do? If you do only harken unto things we shouldn't do while neglecting the ones we should do, we still find ourselves being guilty of "omission"

May God give us the grace to steer clear of things we ought not do while not neglecting the ones we ought to do.

Thanks bro for this insightful exhortation.

Aptly put Sis, aptly put. God bless you.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 8:18am On Feb 24, 2015
LENTEN TONIC: Isaiah 55:10-11, Mt. 6:7-15. Christ in today's Gospel, taught His disciples the need for persistence prayer. As a model for such prayer Jesus teaches His disciples the Lord's Prayer. The Lord's Prayer is an exemplary form of the kind of prayers that we should make and the sort of things we should prayer for. The prayer begins with an invocation addressing God as "Our Father in Heaven". He is a Father ever close to us. However, close God is to us, He must not be brought down to a human level. We must not think of Him as a wicked man who police us about. God remains 'God'. All of creation is a manifestation of His being. God fills the universe but is not contained by it. By His Word, the world came to be. That is why His Word will never come back to Him until is been fulfilled as the prophet Isaiah tells us in the first reading. Thus, our prayer should reflect our dependence on God, because He is "All powerful, forgiving and mindful of our needs. Therefore, no big speeches are needed, no formulae, no putting on of masks because He understands. And our prayer is in communion with others because we are all part of a network of relationships. An unforgiving heart will only disrupt the network terribly. And we who experience forgiveness from God are invited to forgive those who have hurt us so that we can enjoy His graces. May the Lord look with favour on us, and as this time we restrain the desires of the body, may our hearts burn with love of God! Amen! Peace be with you!!!

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 8:22am On Feb 24, 2015
And for the records... This topic on the FP... The victim is my in law..

https://www.nairaland.com/2159322/assassination-abuja-bizman-suspect-implicates
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 9:28am On Feb 24, 2015
Rich4god:

My heartfelt condolences goes to your family. What a wicked world we're in.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:30am On Feb 24, 2015
Rich4god:

Quite painful, do take heart dear.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by PriceOfGarri(m): 6:00pm On Feb 24, 2015
Good people!! cheesy cheesy
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 7:02pm On Feb 24, 2015
PriceOfGarri:
Good people!! cheesy cheesy

This man!

I hail you. smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 7:03pm On Feb 24, 2015
Rich4god:

It's well bro
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 7:22pm On Feb 24, 2015
Rich4god:

Accept my condolence sweetheart. My thoughts n prayers are with ur sis n kids.

To God be the glory that the perpetrators have been brought to book.
Such a great news I must say.
Kudos to NPF
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 7:17am On Feb 25, 2015
LENTEN DIGEST: Jonah 3:1-10, Lk. 11:29-32. Jesus in today's Gospel gives reply to a demand for a sign. Jesus refuses to oblige. The Ninevites, being sinners, received no other divine sign than the preaching of Jonah who exhorted them to repent. Jesus' contemporaries believe they are 'good' because they belong to the people of God, but they do not realise that in Jesus the hour has come for them to repent. Repentance means a complete change of heart. It is the readiness to accept God's forgiveness and live a healthy interpersonal relationship. It is a change of attitudes, a change of lifestyle itself. We have to be grateful to God for the gift of His Son Jesus whose sacrifice on the cross is a sign to us of God's love, power and glory. We are called to believe in God's awesome presence in Jesus who is present in the Church, and teaches us infallibly through the successors of St. Peter. "He who listens to you, listen to me and he who listens to me, listens to the One who sent me" (Jn. 13:20). May the Lord God strengthens us in His blessing, be our consolation in tribulation, give us power to endure and in peril, His protection! Amen!! Good morning and have a wonderful day!!!

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:39pm On Feb 25, 2015
Please can someone help me post the Catena prayer here. Thanks
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 7:20am On Feb 26, 2015
LENTEN MENU: Esther 14:1.3-4.11.13-14, Mt. 7:7-12. God listens to the prayer of the just person and responds generously. This does not exempt us from asking, seeking and knocking. We should constantly seek ways to grow more just and closer to Him. In seeking and asking we discover ourselves and the goodness and kindness of God. We discover our need for Him and learn to trust in Him, and He never lets us down, but always treats us well. We spend a good part of our lives asking for things from people who have more than we have, or who have greater knowledge than ourselves. We ask because we are in need. Often the act of asking is the contact we have with God. If we never asked for anything we would end up in a sort of vacuum in a kind of false, impoverished self-sufficiency. The most important part of our life and of our being involves our asking and our giving. God's goodness to us obliges us to be good to others as well. When we ask for things we acknowledge that we are in needs. When we give we become aware of the limitless riches God has placed in our hearts. A large part of our relationship with God is shaped by our petition, the rest depending on our gratitude towards Him. When we ask Him for things we are admitting and confessing our radical insufficiency. Asking makes us humble; what's more, we give our God the opportunity of showing us that He is our Father. May the spoken words of our mouth and the meditation of our hearts win God's favour! Amen! Good morning and have pleasant day!!!

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 10:11am On Feb 26, 2015
SalC:
Please can someone help me post the Catena prayer here. Thanks

The Catena Legionis

Antiphon. Who is she that comes forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as an army set in battle array?

My soul glorifies the Lord, my spirit rejoices in God, my Saviour. He looks on his servant in her lowliness; henceforth all ages will call me blessed.

The Almighty works marvels for me. Holy is his name! His mercy is from age to age, on those who fear him.

He puts forth his arm in strength and scatters the proud-hearted. He casts the mighty from their thrones and raises the lowly.

He fills the starving with good things, sends the rich away empty.

He protects Israel, his servant, remembering his mercy, the mercy promised to our fathers, to Abraham and his sons forever.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end, Amen.

Antiphon. Who is she that comes forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as an army set in battle array?

V. O Mary, conceived without sin R. Pray for us who have recourse to you.

Let Us Pray

O Lord Jesus Christ, our mediator with the Father, you have been pleased to appoint the most Blessed Virgin, your mother, to be our mother also, and our mediatrix with you, mercifully grant that whoever comes to you, seeking your favours may rejoice to receive all of them through her. Amen.

Concluding Prayers

In the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, Amen.

We fly to your patronage, O Holy Mother of God; despise not our prayers in our necessities, but ever deliver us from all dangers, O glorious and Blessed Virgin.

V. Mary Immaculate, Mediatrix of all Graces (or, Invocation appropriate to Praesidium) R. Pray for us.

V. St. Michael and St. Gabriel R. Pray for us.

V. All you heavenly Powers, Mary’s Legions of Angels R. Pray for us.

V. St. John the Baptist R. Pray for us.

V. Saints Peter and Paul. R. Pray for us.

Confer, O Lord, on us, who serve beneath the Standard of Mary, that fullness of faith in you, and trust in her, to which it is given to conquer the world. Grant us a lively faith, animated by charity, which will enable us to perform all our actions from the motive of pure love of you, and ever to see you and serve you in our neighbor; a faith, firm and immovable as a rock, through which we shall rest tranquil and steadfast amid the crosses, toils and disappointments of life; a courageous faith which will inspire us to undertake and carry out without hesitation great things for your glory and for the salvation of souls; a faith which will be our Legion’s Pillar of Fire - to lead us forth united - to kindle everywhere the fires of divine love - to enlighten those who are in darkness and the shadow of death - to inflame those who are lukewarm - to bring life to those who are dead in sin; and which will guide our own feet in the way of peace; so that - the battle of life over -our Legion may reassemble, without the loss of anyone, in the kingdom of your love and glory. Amen.

May the souls of our departed Legionaries, and the souls of all the faithful departed through the mercy of God rest in peace. Amen.

In the Name of the Father , Son, and Holy Spirit Amen.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 1:51pm On Feb 26, 2015
Rich4god:
LENTEN MENU: Esther 14:1.3-4.11.13-14, Mt. 7:7-12. God listens to the prayer of the just person and responds generously. This does not exempt us from asking, seeking and knocking. We should constantly seek ways to grow more just and closer to Him. In seeking and asking we discover ourselves and the goodness and kindness of God. We discover our need for Him and learn to trust in Him, and He never lets us down, but always treats us well. We spend a good part of our lives asking for things from people who have more than we have, or who have greater knowledge than ourselves. We ask because we are in need. Often the act of asking is the contact we have with God. If we never asked for anything we would end up in a sort of vacuum in a kind of false, impoverished self-sufficiency. The most important part of our life and of our being involves our asking and our giving. God's goodness to us obliges us to be good to others as well. When we ask for things we acknowledge that we are in needs. When we give we become aware of the limitless riches God has placed in our hearts. A large part of our relationship with God is shaped by our petition, the rest depending on our gratitude towards Him. When we ask Him for things we are admitting and confessing our radical insufficiency. Asking makes us humble; what's more, we give our God the opportunity of showing us that He is our Father. May the spoken words of our mouth and the meditation of our hearts win God's favour! Amen! Good morning and have pleasant day!!!
Amen Amen. May God satisfies our needs as we humbly ask.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 1:52pm On Feb 26, 2015
Syncan:

The Catena Legionis

My soul glorifies the Lord, my spirit rejoices in God, my Saviour. He looks on his servant in her lowliness; henceforth all ages will call me blessed.

The Almighty works marvels for me. Holy is his name! His mercy is from age to age, on those who fear him.

He puts forth his arm in strength and scatters the proud-hearted. He casts the mighty from their thrones and raises the lowly.

He fills the starving with good things, sends the rich away empty.

He protects Israel, his servant, remembering his mercy, the mercy promised to our fathers, to Abraham and his sons forever.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end, Amen.

V. O Mary, conceived without sin R. Pray for us who have recourse to you.

Let Us Pray

O Lord Jesus Christ, our mediator with the Father, you have been pleased to appoint the most Blessed Virgin, your mother, to be our mother also, and our mediatrix with you, mercifully grant that whoever comes to you, seeking your favours may rejoice to receive all of them through her. Amen.

Concluding Prayers

In the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, Amen.

We fly to your patronage, O Holy Mother of God; despise not our prayers in our necessities, but ever deliver us from all dangers, O glorious and Blessed Virgin.

V. Mary Immaculate, Mediatrix of all Graces (or, Invocation appropriate to Praesidium) R. Pray for us.

V. St. Michael and St. Gabriel R. Pray for us.

V. All you heavenly Powers, Mary’s Legions of Angels R. Pray for us.

V. St. John the Baptist R. Pray for us.

V. Saints Peter and Paul. R. Pray for us.

Confer, O Lord, on us, who serve beneath the Standard of Mary, that fullness of faith in you, and trust in her, to which it is given to conquer the world. Grant us a lively faith, animated by charity, which will enable us to perform all our actions from the motive of pure love of you, and ever to see you and serve you in our neighbor; a faith, firm and immovable as a rock, through which we shall rest tranquil and steadfast amid the crosses, toils and disappointments of life; a courageous faith which will inspire us to undertake and carry out without hesitation great things for your glory and for the salvation of souls; a faith which will be our Legion’s Pillar of Fire - to lead us forth united - to kindle everywhere the fires of divine love - to enlighten those who are in darkness and the shadow of death - to inflame those who are lukewarm - to bring life to those who are dead in sin; and which will guide our own feet in the way of peace; so that - the battle of life over -our Legion may reassemble, without the loss of anyone, in the kingdom of your love and glory. Amen.

May the souls of our departed Legionaries, and the souls of all the faithful departed through the mercy of God rest in peace. Amen.

In the Name of the Father , Son, and Holy Spirit Amen.
Thanks so much bro.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 2:34pm On Feb 26, 2015
Good afternoon brethren

In the sorrowful mysteries while praying the rosary, which mystery do you think is the most sorrowful of them all?

For me, I think is the 5th sorrowful mystery which is "the crucifixion and death of our lord Jesus Christ."

I think the mysteries were purposefully arranged from the least sorrowful to the most sorrowful though it also looks like it was arranged in the order each occurred.

What's your opinion...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 7:29am On Feb 27, 2015
LENTEN EXHORTATION: Ezk 18:21-28, Mt. 5:20-26. In the first reading, the prophet Ezekiel warns the Jews of his time not to forget the great lesson taught by the exile. They had begun to see it as the inevitable outcome of the sins others had committed in times past. The prophet declares that punishment is a consequence of the actual sins of each individual. Through his words the Holy Spirit speaks to us about our responsibility as individuals, and, consequently, about personal penance and personal salvation. God wants the sinner to turn away from sin and to live, but he has to cooperate with God by his repentance and works of penance. The invitation to follow Jesus brings with it some radical demands. As followers of Christ we must have a greater justice and higher perfection than those who are not Christians. Jesus makes it clear in today's Gospel that the law is valid not so much in its literal sense but in its spiritual significance. He condemns not only the external act of killing, but also anger and thoughts of hatred. We are called to have a good heart to one another in order to offer prayer and worship pleasing and acceptable to God. May the Lord look with favour on us, that what our observance outwardly declares may inwardly bring us healing and joy! Amen!! Good morning, it is well with your soul!!!

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 8:13am On Feb 27, 2015
jnrbayano:
Good afternoon brethren

In the sorrowful mysteries while praying the rosary, which mystery do you think is the most sorrowful of them all?

For me, I think is the 5th sorrowful mystery which is "the crucifixion and death of our lord Jesus Christ."

I think the mysteries were purposefully arranged from the least sorrowful to the most sorrowful though it also looks like it was arranged in the order each occurred.

What's your opinion...

hmm...bro, I believe its just the chronology of events. Each of those mysteries are as sorrowful as sorrow can be. Eg, We've heard of people dying of sorrow, yet their sorrow wasn't strong enough to cause their tears to turn to blood. There is a book called "Mystical city of God" by Mary of Agreda, you need to read this book to get an insight into the scorging and the rest, when you think of the scorging for instance; think of those aluu students that were beating till they died.Each was done to the point of death, Jesus did not die in either of them because he was meant to die on the cross. A quick insight you can get from a small and easily available book called "Pieta".

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 8:16am On Feb 27, 2015
Rich4god:
LENTEN EXHORTATION: Ezk 18:21-28, Mt. 5:20-26. In the first reading, the prophet Ezekiel warns the Jews of his time not to forget the great lesson taught by the exile. They had begun to see it as the inevitable outcome of the sins others had committed in times past. The prophet declares that punishment is a consequence of the actual sins of each individual. Through his words the Holy Spirit speaks to us about our responsibility as individuals, and, consequently, about personal penance and personal salvation. God wants the sinner to turn away from sin and to live, but he has to cooperate with God by his repentance and works of penance. The invitation to follow Jesus brings with it some radical demands. As followers of Christ we must have a greater justice and higher perfection than those who are not Christians. Jesus makes it clear in today's Gospel that the law is valid not so much in its literal sense but in its spiritual significance. He condemns not only the external act of killing, but also anger and thoughts of hatred. We are called to have a good heart to one another in order to offer prayer and worship pleasing and acceptable to God. May the Lord look with favour on us, that what our observance outwardly declares may inwardly bring us healing and joy! Amen!! Good morning, it is well with your soul!!!

Well done bro.

Good morning brethren, a splendid day to all.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 6:53pm On Feb 27, 2015
Jnrbayano,

Ano m ebe a.

Unto observing things...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 7:28pm On Feb 27, 2015
My zing... Been long I saw u in the carribean.... Hope u r Ok.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:46pm On Feb 28, 2015
Hmm why is here too quiet?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:55pm On Feb 28, 2015
jnrbayano:
Good afternoon brethren

What's your opinion...
Though all the mysteries are truly sorrowful, the one I find more....not just sorrowful but confusing is "the crowing with thorns"

I can't seem to grasp the significance or implication of that. He was crowned.....sure, the crown signifies his kingship, but why with thorns? I don't get it!

That's the one that keeps me contemplating longer.

(1) (2) (3) ... (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) ... (505) (Reply)

Dreams Interpretation! Dreams Interpretation!! Dreams Interpretation!!! / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.