Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,391 members, 7,819,402 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (318) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (519047 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 12:26am On Mar 01, 2015
SalC:
Though all the mysteries are truly sorrowful, the one I find more....not just sorrowful but confusing is "the crowing with thorns"

I can't seem to grasp the significance or implication of that. He was crowned.....sure, the crown signifies his kingship, but why with thorns? I don't get it!

That's the one that keeps me contemplating longer.

The Chief Priests and the scribes watched as Jesus entered triumphantly into Jerusalem demonstrating his kingship. The envy which they already have for Jesus quadrupled. They wondered how a commoner (son of carpenter) will just come all of a sudden to steal the show and enrapt multitude of people thereby exposing their hypocrisy filled lives. They couldn't stomach it.

The hour of darkness came and they pounced. Not that they only wanted to kill him, they were delighted to mock and maim him as well. If he will not die a horrible death, they wouldn't be satisfied.

They made sure he had sores all over his body, however, the head region remained to be busted open. In order to cajole his kingly portfolio they made him a crown. They made sure it was made out of thorns to achieve their aim so that forcing it on his head will bust his head open and impact on him excruciating pains. SMH!!

Rapu okwu, Jesus bu odogwu!

My dear there's no significance in my opinion just that those guys were hell-bent on maiming Jesus.

Let's wait for the opinion of other brethren.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 12:28am On Mar 01, 2015
Syncan:

hmm...bro, I believe its just the chronology of events. Each of those mysteries are as sorrowful as sorrow can be. Eg, We've heard of people dying of sorrow, yet their sorrow wasn't strong enough to cause their tears to turn to blood. There is a book called "Mystical city of God" by Mary of Agreda, you need to read this book to get an insight into the scorging and the rest, when you think of the scorging for instance; think of those aluu students that were beating till they died.Each was done to the point of death, Jesus did not die in either of them because he was meant to die on the cross. A quick insight you can get from a small and easily available book called "Pieta".

Daalu smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 12:29am On Mar 01, 2015
FrancisTony:
Jnrbayano,

Ano m ebe a.

Unto observing things...

smiley

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 10:59am On Mar 01, 2015
Happy Sunday brethren and have a blessed week
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 11:22am On Mar 01, 2015
jnrbayano:
Good afternoon brethren

In the sorrowful mysteries while praying the rosary, which mystery do you think is the most sorrowful of them all?

For me, I think is the 5th sorrowful mystery which is "the crucifixion and death of our lord Jesus Christ."

I think the mysteries were purposefully arranged from the least sorrowful to the most sorrowful though it also looks like it was arranged in the order each occurred.

What's your opinion...
All the mysteries are very sorrowful but I think the first mystery is the most sorrowful cos that was when he really really thought about the agony ahead.
Yes He knew the whole time he was teaching in the synagogue that he was going to die but At the last minute(1st sorrowful), he got very sober that he kinda wished he didn't have to go through it.
He also seemed a little frustrated that his disciples were not sensitive to his agony(cos they were snoring grin each time he returns to them). No one seemed to understand. There was no shoulder for him to lean on.

My reflection usually starts right there at the first. By the time he was already handed over to the bad guys, at that point he would just be looking forward to the last mystery so he could return to the father.

God's love for us is amazing!!!

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 11:36am On Mar 01, 2015
Rich4god:
My zing... Been long I saw u in the carribean.... Hope u r Ok.
Sweerie I thought I left you a note on the table. U didn't see check it undecided
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 12:36pm On Mar 01, 2015
Ok dear... Let me go check it out.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by stunningjudy(f): 12:51pm On Mar 01, 2015
Happy new month, I pray this month brings us peace, joy and fulfillment.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 2:19pm On Mar 01, 2015
I just remembered today is first of march smh cheesy happy new month brethren may this month be the best so far.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 2:21pm On Mar 01, 2015
stunningjudy:
Happy new month, I pray this month brings us peace, joy and fulfillment.
Amen sis happy new month to you too
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 2:23pm On Mar 01, 2015
Kamsified:
Happy Sunday brethren and have a blessed week
Happy Sunday, happy new week and happy new month sis smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 2:52pm On Mar 01, 2015
Happy sunday and boisterous new month. wink

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 6:24pm On Mar 01, 2015
SalC:
Happy Sunday, happy new week and happy new month sis smiley
It's true o, new day, new week, new month

May The Lord make all things new for us all.
Amen

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:24pm On Mar 01, 2015
Kamsified:

It's true o, new day, new week, new month

May The Lord make all things new for us all.
Amen
Amen.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 12:58am On Mar 02, 2015
Mk 9:8

And suddenly looking around they nolonger saw any one with them but Jesus.

As the lenten season continues there will be a continued and sustained emphasis on change, reformation, repentance...but the sunday readings tells us around what to fashion our change, a continued, random and sustained change will probably lead to chaos and so God shows us the axis around which we should make our rotation of repentance.

-The Constant God-

In the gospel of mark 8 we see Christ talk about his suffering and death and peter rebuked him, 6 days later Jesus took peter to mount tabor and showed him his glory and peter said "Lord it is good to be here". We are most times like peter, our lives both spiritual, physical, financial... are shaken and changing, there are the days we simply feel like going to heaven with enomous joy in our hearts, there are other day when we have failed our lenten observance and there is a sin using us to play ping pong, the are times of good business, bad business, joy, sorrow, love, indifference, righeousness, sin, virtue and vice, suffering and glory, there are day we are feeling like abraham about to kill his only son and other day we are like peter on mount tabor, today God give us an anchor, a constant, something good that is ever static and that is God himself.

Are you happy? give him thanks, sad? look up on him, discontent? then pray to him, are you bitter pour it all out to him, did you fail in your lenten resolve in the first week of lent like I did? Pick up again and moved on look at the fallen Christ on the Calvary way. We have a constant God, ever present, always there, ready to accompany us in all the ups and downs of life, showing us what is true joy on our bitter days, teaching us on our bad day, sharing with us our happy days and accompaning us on the thorny days, he is alway there, he is the first and the last, begining and end, the source and goal of our lives.

Place your faith in him, place your trust in him, be in him and for him and say with st Paul "If God be for me who can be against me!!", "If he justifies me who can condemn me?" he is my constant! If I am with him I shall not fear misfortune, sin shall not bug me down, fortune will not make me proud and my joy shall multiply, st Paul says it is Christ who died! It is he who rose, he it is who still interceeds for us.

If we believe in so great a God then we will understand the foolish wisdom of the barren abraham who want to sacrifice his son, if my God is ever constant, ever faithful, what is that sin that weighs me down, who is the guys/lady that vexs me, the one I dislike? What is food that i will not abstain? That offense that i will not forgive. My God suffices and me he rid me of my Me-ness and help me trust more and more in him.

Let nothing trouble you
Let nothing frighten you
Everything passes
God never changes
Patience obtains all
Whoever has God
Wants for nothing
God alone is enough
st Theresa

soso Chukwu di enuf

5 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 1:09am On Mar 02, 2015
Syncan:

hmm...bro, I believe its just the chronology of events. Each of those mysteries are as sorrowful as sorrow can be. Eg, We've heard of people dying of sorrow, yet their sorrow wasn't strong enough to cause their tears to turn to blood. There is a book called "Mystical city of God" by Mary of Agreda, you need to read this book to get an insight into the scorging and the rest, when you think of the scorging for instance; think of those aluu students that were beating till they died.Each was done to the point of death, Jesus did not die in either of them because he was meant to die on the cross. A quick insight you can get from a small and easily available book called "Pieta".

d mystical city of God by ven Mary of Agreda, stong book, her visions on the life of Jesus and mary really answered much of the questions i consider grey areas in scriptures.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 10:45am On Mar 02, 2015
Ubenedictus:
Mk 9:8

And suddenly looking around they nolonger saw any one with them but Jesus.

As the lenten season continues there will be a continued and sustained emphasis on change, reformation, repentance...but the sunday readings tells us around what to fashion our change, a continued, random and sustained change will probably lead to chaos and so God shows us the axis around which we should make our rotation of repentance.

-The Constant God-

In the gospel of mark 8 we see Christ talk about his suffering and death and peter rebuked him, 6 days later Jesus took peter to mount tabor and showed him his glory and peter said "Lord it is good to be here". We are most times like peter, our lives both spiritual, physical, financial... are shaken and changing, there are the days we simply feel like going to heaven with enomous joy in our hearts, there are other day when we have failed our lenten observance and there is a sin using us to play ping pong, the are times of good business, bad business, joy, sorrow, love, indifference, righeousness, sin, virtue and vice, suffering and glory, there are day we are feeling like abraham about to kill his only son and other day we are like peter on mount tabor, today God give us an anchor, a constant, something good that is ever static and that is God himself.

Are you happy? give him thanks, sad? look up on him, discontent? then pray to him, are you bitter pour it all out to him, did you fail in your lenten resolve in the first week of lent like I did? Pick up again and moved on look at the fallen Christ on the Calvary way. We have a constant God, ever present, always there, ready to accompany us in all the ups and downs of life, showing us what is true joy on our bitter days, teaching us on our bad day, sharing with us our happy days and accompaning us on the thorny days, he is alway there, he is the first and the last, begining and end, the source and goal of our lives.

Place your faith in him, place your trust in him, be in him and for him and say with st Paul "If God be for me who can be against me!!", "If he justifies me who can condemn me?" he is my constant! If I am with him I shall not fear misfortune, sin shall not bug me down, fortune will not make me proud and my joy shall multiply, st Paul says it is Christ who died! It is he who rose, he it is who still interceeds for us.

If we believe in so great a God then we will understand the foolish wisdom of the barren abraham who want to sacrifice his son, if my God is ever constant, ever faithful, what is that sin that weighs me down, who is the guys/lady that vexs me, the one I dislike? What is food that i will not abstain? That offense that i will not forgive. My God suffices and me he rid me of my Me-ness and help me trust more and more in him.

Let nothing trouble you
Let nothing frighten you
Everything passes
God never changes
Patience obtains all
Whoever has God
Wants for nothing
God alone is enough
st Theresa

soso Chukwu di enuf

Amen Amen. Thanks for this reassuring words.

Good morning brethren, a splendid day ahead to all.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 10:50am On Mar 02, 2015
Ubenedictus:

d mystical city of God by ven Mary of Agreda, stong book, her visions on the life of Jesus and mary really answered much of the questions i consider grey areas in scriptures.

That book....The autobiography of Jesus and Mary. That's all I can say.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 8:47am On Mar 05, 2015
LENTEN BOUQUET: Jer. 17:5-10, Lk. 16:19-31. In this period of Lent the Church in this regard calls out to us frequently so that we may disengage ourselves from the things of earth, and thus fill our hearts with God. The prophet Jeremiah in the first reading calls for absolute trust in God because the Lord looks after a soul which has placed its heart in Him. He who puts his confidence in earthly concerns, whose heart turns from the Lord, is condemned to be barren and ineffective with respect to what really matters. The Lord wants us to be concerned about the things of earth and to love them in the right way but not in the manner that it will turn us away from God. The love and care of wealth of the rich man in today's Gospel landed him in burning furnace. The rich man is so caught up with the things of the world and with his own self-interests that these prevent him from even becoming aware of the needs of another. If we belong to the privileged few of our society, where a good percentage live below the poverty line, we are challenged to take note of them and their very existence. To ignore their plight is to ignore God. Unlike the Pharisees, who used spurious religious reasoning to justify their good fortune, thereby living with a drugged conscience in their private comfort, we are called to be more concern about the welfare of others. May the Lord turn our hearts to Himself, and may He kindle in us the fire of the Holy Spirit, so that we may be steadfast in faith and unwearied in good works! Amen!! Good morning, it is well with you!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 7:59am On Mar 06, 2015
Hail holy queen, mother of mercy, hail, our lives, our sweetness and our hope. To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve: To thee do we send up our sighs, morning and weeping, in this vale of tears. Turn then, most gracious advocate, your eyes of mercy towards us. And after this our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.
Amen

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 8:00am On Mar 06, 2015
Rich4god:
Ok dear... Let me go check it out.
In a whisper* Did you see my mail
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 8:01am On Mar 06, 2015
Good morning brethren and have a blessed weekend
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 9:33am On Mar 06, 2015
Kamsified:
Hail holy queen, mother of mercy, hail, our lives, our sweetness and our hope. To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve: To thee do we send up our sighs, morning and weeping, in this vale of tears. Turn then, most gracious advocate, your eyes of mercy towards us. And after this our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Amen
Pray for us o holy mother of God,that we will be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Let us pray: ....... ....... .......
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Bridget001: 12:12pm On Mar 06, 2015
stunningjudy:
This testimony is about FAITH and MASS.
In year 1 or 2, I had just #100 and I was going for midweek mass, I decided to breakdown d money and use #50 for offering. A man that sells in my hostel refused to help break it down so I got angry and took it to church, before offering I said God, u know I'm low on cash please I need this money in a 100 fold by tomorrow. As I left church, my mum called and said aah she is sorry she'll send me 10k d next day. All I could do was smile and say Thank you Jesus.
In year 1 also, my course mate brought Agbami scholarship form for us to buy and apply. I had just #500 and d form was sold for #300, a friend tried discouraging me and I was also tinkn of d fact that d money is my last card. I almost returned d form to take back my #300 then I said no need lemme just give it a shot.
I told God again, u know this #500 is all I have, buying this form will leave me with #200 please see me through. I was invited for the exam after some months, I went for it then I waited and waited till I forgot about it. After 2nd year, God surprised me! A friend called and said my name is on d list. My joy was inexplicable! I was paid for year 1 and 2 @ a go!
Finally God does so many things for us therefore we ought to always be grateful.
Please who can give me scholarship past questions? . Thanks and God bless!
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 4:25pm On Mar 06, 2015
Kamsified:

In a whisper* Did you see my mail
ye... Saw it...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:53pm On Mar 06, 2015
Kamsified:
Amen
Amen Amen
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 12:08pm On Mar 07, 2015
Kizmarty:

Pray for us o holy mother of God,that we will be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Let us pray: ....... ....... .......
Hello dearie, long time no see u around
How have u been?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 12:41pm On Mar 07, 2015
Kamsified:

Hello dearie, long time no see u around
How have u been?

I'm fine oo
I've just been around but in a low key wink

Thanks for checking on me,how u
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 11:49am On Mar 08, 2015
Kizmarty:

I'm fine oo

I hope u know that low key is not allowed when it comes to your brethren wink
I'm fine as well dearie. Thanks for asking

Happy Sunday everyone
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 2:16pm On Mar 08, 2015
Kamsified:

I hope u know that low key is not allowed when it comes to your brethren wink
I'm fine as well dearie. Thanks for asking

Happy Sunday everyone
Happy sunday dearie. Hope you're cool?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 2:17pm On Mar 08, 2015
Kizmarty:

I'm fine oo

Time to turn on a high key
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 3:42pm On Mar 08, 2015
SalC:
Time to turn on a high key

cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.