Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,722 members, 7,820,507 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:09 PM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (437) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (519258 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (434) (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) (440) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by hurricaneChris: 9:08am On Feb 21, 2016
SalC:
shocked cheesy

Lol, Sister SaliatChiroma SalC, what I do? grin grin

Good to see you.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 9:19am On Feb 21, 2016
hurricaneChris:

Good to see you.
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:29am On Feb 21, 2016
hurricaneChris:

Good to see you.
The confidence you portrayed in the post I quoted was top notch grin

And this name no be here o lol.

Good to see you too. Hope the designs are still flowing in? cheesy
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:30am On Feb 21, 2016
Rich4god:
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
What happened to your mouth son? shocked
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 9:36am On Feb 21, 2016
SalC:
What happened to your mouth son? shocked
Kamsified hv refused me my sunday rice....
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:50am On Feb 21, 2016
Rich4god:
Kamsified hv refused me my sunday rice....
Oh no! Kamsified where are you and where's the sunday rice?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 10:15am On Feb 21, 2016
Good morning brethren, a splendid Sunday to all.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 9:56am On Feb 22, 2016
From today's Gospel MT 16:13-19

"When Jesus went into the region of Caesarea Philippi he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” They replied, “Some say John the Baptist, others Elijah, still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Simon Peter said in reply, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys to the Kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”"

Wow! Deep promises. Oh how secured it is to be under the guidance of the church, the church assured of security against the gates of the underworld. To no individual was such an assurance made, but to the church of Christ, the one built upon the one whom the Lord called rock(Peter). So wonderful is this assurance to saints such that they derive consolation by the very thought of it. A beautiful soul, a great saint and mystic, St. Theresa of Avila had to proclaim with confidence and joy at her dying bed ""I die a daughter of the Church". How on the contrast you see these days, people say "I am a catholic, but I don't agree with all they do". End time tinz you may want to shout... and I will say "exactly"! Humility teach the saints the truth about the beauty and merits of being under the guidance of the church, While arrogance and pride teach sinners that they are wiser and holier than the church's magisterium. See where it has got us, countless number of groups; teaching countless contradictory doctrines, yet claiming the Holy Spirit as the source of their teachings. How convenient! The Holy Spirit is not an author of confusion 1Cor 14:33 . The church and only the church, the one established by Jesus, the one Jesus built on the rock/Peter, the one he told Peter to shepherd when he said "feed my sheep" Jn 21:17, is the only secure refuge, for to no one else but the church; is addressed these words "the pillar and ground of truth" 1Tim 3:15 . Since the truth sets one free, only as a child of the church can one be truly free. I am a son of the church, are you?

Today, let me walk in prayer with Jnrbayano, as you live your faith in this period of lent, may you merit in the powers of the church to bind or loose, may the works of your hands be established, and the joy of the Lord be your strength in life's journey ahead.

Good morning brethren, a splendid day ahead to all.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 11:35am On Feb 22, 2016
Syncan:
Good morning brethren, a splendid Sunday to all.
A splendid monday to you smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 11:40am On Feb 22, 2016
SalC:
A splendid monday to you smiley

Thanks dearie, hope your day is going well.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 11:44am On Feb 22, 2016
Syncan:

"When Jesus went into the region of Caesarea Philippi he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” They replied, “Some say John the Baptist, others Elijah, still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Simon Peter said in reply, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys to the Kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”"

Wow! Deep promises. Oh how secured it is to be under the guidance of the church, the church assured of security against the gates of the underworld. To no individual was such an assurance made, but to the church of Christ, the one built upon the one whom the Lord called rock(Peter). So wonderful is this assurance to saints such that they derive consolation by the very thought of it. A beautiful soul, a great saint and mystic, St. Theresa of Avila had to proclaim with confidence and joy at her dying bed ""I die a daughter of the Church". How on the contrast you see these days, people say "I am a catholic, but I don't agree with all they do". End time tinz you may want to shout... and I will say "exactly"! Humility teach the saints the truth about the beauty and merits of being under the guidance of the church, While arrogance and pride teach sinners that they are wiser and holier than the church's magisterium. See where it has got us, countless number of groups; teaching countless contradictory doctrines, yet claiming the Holy Spirit as the source of their teachings. How convenient! The Holy Spirit is not an author of confusion 1Cor 14:33 . The church and only the church, the one established by Jesus, the one Jesus built on the rock/Peter, the one he told Peter to shepherd when he said "feed my sheep" Jn 21:17, is the only secure refuge, for to no one else but the church; is addressed these words "the pillar and ground of truth" 1Tim 3:15 . Since the truth sets one free, only as a child of the church can one be truly free. I am a son of the church, are you?

Today, let me walk in prayer with Jnrbayano, as you live your faith in this period of lent, may you merit in the powers of the church to bind or loose, may the works of your hands be established, and the joy of the Lord be your strength in life's journey ahead.

Onye kwuputaram n'iihu ndi mmadu, agam ekwuputa ya n'ihu nnam no na-eluigwe.

Your efforts will never go unnoticed, and your reward is assured.

The Lord be with you.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 11:45am On Feb 22, 2016
Syncan:

Thanks dearie, hope your day is going well.
Sure God is great.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 11:48am On Feb 22, 2016
SalC:
Sure God is great.

To God be the glory.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 7:46pm On Feb 22, 2016
Syncan:

Ya gaziere gi nwannem

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 7:21am On Feb 23, 2016
From Today's Reading IS 1:10, 16-20

"...Wash yourselves clean! Put away your misdeeds from before my eyes; cease doing evil; learn to do good. Make justice your aim: redress the wronged, hear the orphan’s plea, defend the widow. Come now, let us set things right, says the LORD: Though your sins be like scarlet, they may become white as snow; Though they be crimson red, they may become white as wool...."

Come now let us set things right, says the Lord...I once watched a documentary titled "Marian apparitions of the twentieth century", I did enjoy the collection, it was amazing. In it one cannot fail to marvel at the similarities with what our earthly mothers do, what mother would see the child heading towards harm and will stay and watch? Mothers would throw caution into the winds, abandon any form of comfort, act without thoughts, put themselves in danger, talk themselves hoarse, just to keep the child from harm. Oh, how I watched from Fatima to Banneux, Garabandal to Zeitun, from Akita to Kibeho, all with one message..."Come let us set things right, says the Lord" she reminds us. She cries each time that we should Pray, Pray, Pray, flee from sin and do good. What manner of child are you, to hear the cries of your mother and remain unmoved, your Mother! Think about it, make a resolve this lent, run to her, for she who is full of grace, will help you back and sustain you in Christ. To the Jews the Lord had this to say in today's Gospel "The scribes and the Pharisees have taken their seat on the chair of Moses. Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you... MT 23:1-12. But today, we hear people saying "I am a catholic but I don't agree with all her teachings", Yet the Church, unlike the scribes and pharisees, has the holy spirit and the promise of Christ's presence till the end of time. The Church says Mary is our Mother, the Holy spirit has said so, and that she truly has been, in words and in deeds. Taste and see! Pray for us Oh Mother.
Today, let me walk in prayers with ChineloSA, as you pray in this period of lent, may your prayers be rightly directed and made more effective by Mary's Intercession, and may her presence be your reassurance when you're in a crossroad.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 7:10am On Feb 24, 2016
From Today's Reading JER 18:18-20

The people of Judah and the citizens of Jerusalem said,
“Come, let us contrive a plot against Jeremiah. It will not mean the loss of instruction from the priests, nor of counsel from the wise, nor of messages from the prophets. And so, let us destroy him by his own tongue; let us carefully note his every word.”
Heed me, O LORD, and listen to what my adversaries say. Must good be repaid with evil that they should dig a pit to take my life? Remember that I stood before you to speak in their behalf, to turn away your wrath from them

Gospel MT 20:17-28

As Jesus was going up to Jerusalem, he took the Twelve disciples aside by themselves, and said to them on the way, “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be handed over to the chief priests and the scribes, and they will condemn him to death, and hand him over to the Gentiles to be mocked and scourged and crucified, and he will be raised on the third day.”....

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.
If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.
If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.
The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.
Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.
The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.
People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for a few underdogs anyway.
What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.
People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.
Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.

I recall this beautiful poem written by Kent M. Keith, a nice poem it is. It's an encouragement to you and I that we persevere in doing good, even if we are repaid with ill. The prophet Jeremiah persevered, Jesus persevered...and so shall we.

Today let me walk in prayers with you MrAladin, In this period of lent, may God keep you secured as you go about doing good. May He watch over you and yours and guide you with His eyes.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by debbie(f): 9:40am On Feb 24, 2016
Do we have people here that use ABIDE or THE WORD AMONG US? It is a very good daily devotional and rich too.
http://www.wau.org/
How is everyone doing?

Syncan:
From Today's Reading JER 18:18-20

The people of Judah and the citizens of Jerusalem said,
“Come, let us contrive a plot against Jeremiah. It will not mean the loss of instruction from the priests, nor of counsel from the wise, nor of messages from the prophets. And so, let us destroy him by his own tongue; let us carefully note his every word.”
Heed me, O LORD, and listen to what my adversaries say. Must good be repaid with evil that they should dig a pit to take my life? Remember that I stood before you to speak in their behalf, to turn away your wrath from them

Gospel MT 20:17-28

As Jesus was going up to Jerusalem, he took the Twelve disciples aside by themselves, and said to them on the way, “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be handed over to the chief priests and the scribes, and they will condemn him to death, and hand him over to the Gentiles to be mocked and scourged and crucified, and he will be raised on the third day.”....

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.
If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.
If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.
The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.
Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.
The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.
People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for a few underdogs anyway.
What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.
People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.
Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.

I recall this beautiful poem written by Kent M. Keith, a nice poem it is. It's an encouragement to you and I that we persevere in doing good, even if we are repaid with ill. The prophet Jeremiah persevered, Jesus persevered...and so shall we.

Today let me walk in prayers with you MrAladin, In this period of lent, may God keep you secured as you go about doing good. May He watch over you and yours and guide you with His eyes.

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 9:55am On Feb 24, 2016
debbie:
Do we have people here that use ABIDE or THE WORD AMONG US? It is a very good daily devotional and rich too.
http://www.wau.org/
How is everyone doing?

Thanks for the info sis, I am sure the glory of God is visible in our lives. Eku lent o.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by debbie(f): 3:31pm On Feb 24, 2016
Please do we have a barrister among us here? Help is needed.
Syncan:

Thanks for the info sis, I am sure the glory of God is visible in our lives. Eku lent o.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 7:54am On Feb 25, 2016
From today's Gospel LK 16:19-31

Jesus said to the Pharisees:
“There was a rich man who dressed in purple garments and fine linen and dined sumptuously each day. And lying at his door was a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who would gladly have eaten his fill of the scraps that fell from the rich man’s table. Dogs even used to come and lick his sores. When the poor man died, he was carried away by angels to the bosom of Abraham. The rich man also died and was buried, and from the netherworld, where he was in torment, he raised his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side.

Try to think about this scenario as portrayed in the song below:

She calls out to the man on the street
'Sir, can you help me?
It's cold and I've nowhere to sleep,
Is there somewhere you can tell me?'

He walks on, doesn't look back
He pretends he can't hear her
Starts to whistle as he crosses the street
Seems embarrassed to be there

Oh think twice, it's another day for you and me in paradise
Oh think twice, 'cause it's just another day for you,
You and me in paradise, think about it

He can see she's been crying
She's got blisters on the soles of her feet
She can't walk but she's trying

Dives(means rich) the rich man omitted doing a good work, we were not told he committed evil. Often these days you hear of people boasting about their latest luxurious acquisitions, some a Gold shoe, some a Hermes bag, while others a Rolls Royce car. Even some who claim to be "shepherds in God's household" also flaunt wealth these days, yet all I can say is "Remember Dives". Never you feel too poor to be of help, if i may use students as example.... Sisters, when you notice that fellow student who'll ask to make use of that "attachment" you want to dispose of, do not feel irritated,rather remember Dives and do good. Brothers, when you notice that room mate who'll not let you throw away that soup you forgot to warm, but will collect it, put potash and pepper, and dine on it, do not be perplexed, please remember Dives and offer to share fresh packs. Look around brethren, there's just an opportunity to help, to listen, to encourage, to be a companion...to be God's sent.

Today, let me walk in prayers with you dear Jennydoris, as you participate in the activities of this Lenten period, may your cup never run dry, may your blessing be overflowing as a living spring to all around you.

Good morning brethren, a splendid day ahead to all

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Jennydoris(f): 8:58am On Feb 25, 2016
Syncan:
From today's Gospel LK 16:19-31

Jesus said to the Pharisees:
“There was a rich man who dressed in purple garments and fine linen and dined sumptuously each day. And lying at his door was a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who would gladly have eaten his fill of the scraps that fell from the rich man’s table. Dogs even used to come and lick his sores. When the poor man died, he was carried away by angels to the bosom of Abraham. The rich man also died and was buried, and from the netherworld, where he was in torment, he raised his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side.

Try to think about this scenario as portrayed in the song below:

'Sir, can you help me?
It's cold and I've nowhere to sleep,
Is there somewhere you can tell me?'

He walks on, doesn't look back
He pretends he can't hear her
Starts to whistle as he crosses the street
Seems embarrassed to be there

Oh think twice, it's another day for you and me in paradise
Oh think twice, 'cause it's just another day for you,
You and me in paradise, think about it

He can see she's been crying
She's got blisters on the soles of her feet
She can't walk but she's trying

Dives(means rich) the rich man omitted doing a good work, we were not told he committed evil. Often these days you hear of people boasting about their latest luxurious acquisitions, some a Gold shoe, some a Hermes bag, while others a Rolls Royce car. Even some who claim to be "shepherds in God's household" also flaunt wealth these days, yet all I can say is "Remember Dives". Never you feel too poor to be of help, if i may use students as example.... Sisters, when you notice that fellow student who'll ask to make use of that "attachment" you want to dispose of, do not feel irritated,rather remember Dives and do good. Brothers, when you notice that room mate who'll not let you throw away that soup you forgot to warm, but will collect it, put potash and pepper, and dine on it, do not be perplexed, please remember Dives and offer to share fresh packs. Look around brethren, there's just an opportunity to help, to listen, to encourage, to be a companion...to be God's sent.

Today, let me walk in prayers with you dear Jennydoris, as you participate in the activities of this Lenten period, may your cup never run dry, may your blessing be overflowing as a living spring to all around you.

Good morning brethren, a splendid day ahead to all

AMEN!
And may your days be harm free,
May God's light lighten your path,
And may your endeavours be richly blessed.
AMEN!
Thanks for remembering me.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 7:45am On Feb 26, 2016
From Today's Reading GN 37:3-4, 12-13A, 17B-28A
Israel loved Joseph best of all his sons,for he was the child of his old age;and he had made him a long tunic.One day, when his brothers had gone to pasture their father’s flocks at Shechem, Israel said to Joseph,“Your brothers, you know, are tending our flocks at Shechem. Get ready; I will send you to them.” So Joseph went after his brothers and caught up with them in Dothan. They noticed him from a distance, and before he came up to them, they plotted to kill him.

From the Gospel MT 21:33-43, 45-46
There was a landowner who planted a vineyard, put a hedge around it, dug a wine press in it, and built a tower. Then he leased it to tenants and went on a journey. But when the tenants saw the son, they said to one another,‘This is the heir. Come, let us kill him and acquire his inheritance.

"Human life is sacred",says the church, "because from its beginning it involves the creative action of God and it remains for ever in a special relationship with the Creator, who is its sole end. God alone is the Lord of life from its beginning until its end: no one can under any circumstance claim for himself the right directly to destroy an innocent human being". The brothers plotted against Joseph, so did the tenants against their master's representatives. However, the brothers of Joseph restrained from murder, while the tenants executed theirs. Today, blood flows on earth, human life is taken everyday via abortion by Christians. Man continues to plot and carry out murder each passing day, by killing vulnerable humans yet unborn. Let's take a look at the end of the stories shown in our readings. In the first, Joseph's brothers got saved from famine because they chose not to kill, while in the second, the tenants were put to death because they shed murdered another.For your lifeblood I will surely require a reckoning. . . . Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed; for God made man in his own imageGen.9:5-6. Have you participated in abortion, actively of passively? Have you reconciled with God? With all your strength flee from giving consent to abortion, discourage it, and live a chaste life.

"I cannot bring myself to speak of the many virgins who daily fall and are lost to the bosom of the Church, their mother. . . . Some go so far as to take potions, that they may insure barrenness, and thus murder human beings almost before their conception. Some, when they find themselves with child through their sin, use drugs to procure abortion, and when, as often happens, they die with their offspring, they enter the lower world laden with the guilt not only of adultery against Christ but also of suicide and child murder" St. Jerome. (Letters 22:13 [A.D. 396])

Today, let me walk in prayers with Fembleez1, as we pray in this period of lent, may the Lord renew the life of grace in you, may you be sound in health of body and soul, and may all evil plans against you not succeed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 7:43am On Feb 27, 2016
From Today's Reading MI 7:14-15, 18-20

...Who is there like you, the God who removes guilt and pardons sin for the remnant of his inheritance; Who does not persist in anger forever, but delights rather in clemency, And will again have compassion on us, treading underfoot our guilt? You will cast into the depths of the sea all our sins; You will show faithfulness to Jacob, and grace to Abraham, As you have sworn to our fathers from days of old.

Let me tell you a story. "A certain man started receiving frequent visits from a spirit that claimed to be Jesus Christ. The apparition used to give him instructions which he promptly passes on to his parish priest. Under the guidance of the priest, this continued for a while, but the local Bishop wasn't keen on such stories. However, after much persuasion from his priests; who felt the unnatural events needed a keener interest, the Bishop later agreed to an audience with the visionary. He listened to him carefully as he narrated what has been happening to him; and the messages of the apparition, then he thought for a while and said "When next the apparition comes visiting, tell him that I, the bishop, as a youth committed a particularly terrible offence and of which I had told Jesus through the priest at confession, let him tell you the offence and I will confirm it". The man went home happy, for at this time he believed it was Jesus who was visiting him, so he was relieved that the bishop will now look favorably on the events. When next the vision came, he promptly made the request, and what happened next was a shock to him. As soon as he finished repeating what the bishop had said, the apparition started walking around with a frown on his face, like someone trying to remember something, he moved from side to side, deep in thought, trying to remember, then after a while, turned to the man and said "tell him that I don't remember". Oh, the man screamed, cursed and rebuked the apparition, called it devil, agent of Satan, and many more obscenities". He reported to the priests, and on their next visit to the bishop, he was visibly shaking as he retold what had happened. Surprisingly however, the bishop's disposition from that day became favorable towards the events, for he had said "I tested the spirit with Hebrew 8:12, and it passed in flying colours". The man later went back to his scriptures, then he opened to Hebrews 8: 12, and he read :For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. Glory to Jesus! I will leave you to imagine with what amount of tears and pleading with which he received the next visit of the apparition".

For the sins that you've shown contrition and confessed, God remembers no more. Are you still in doubt if you've been forgiven? Doubt no more, for doubt is a heavy load on you, it increases your weight, makes it difficult to run to Jesus, but will instead sink you in the ocean, you may want to ask Peter (Matt.14:30), therefore do not offend God by continuing to punish yourself, as if your Loving father never forgives. Today's Gospel, the prodigal Son,LK 15:1-3, 11-32 illustrates the whole message better.
Today let me walk in prayers with my dear Sister peppyluv02, as we go through this period of lent in penance, may the lord look upon you with kindness and remember your guilt no more, may He acknowledge you as His daughter.

Good morning brethren, a splendid day to all.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by hurricaneChris: 9:41am On Feb 29, 2016
Good morning brothers and sisters.

I have good news

dreams are becoming reality cheesy cheesy
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 11:18am On Feb 29, 2016
From Today's Reading 2 KGS 5:1-15AB

...The prophet sent him the message: “Go and wash seven times in the Jordan, and your flesh will heal, and you will be clean.” But Naaman went away angry, saying, “I thought that he would surely come out and stand there to invoke the LORD his God, and would move his hand over the spot, and thus cure the leprosy. Are not the rivers of Damascus, the Abana and the Pharpar, better than all the waters of Israel? Could I not wash in them and be cleansed?” With this, he turned about in anger and left....

Pride!The scripture tells us to test every spirit, the test of humility is a very sure way that has been used for ages, for the devil is always proud..."Humility is the only thing that no devil can imitate".-- St John Climacus. The virtue of humility seems to be eroding in the modern day Christian, it is portrayed even in the way we speak to the Creator...'We put pride into everything like salt. We like to see that our good works are known. If our virtues are seen, we are pleased; if our faults are perceived, we are sad. I remark that in a great many people; if one says anything to them, it disturbs them, it annoys them. The saints were not like that -- they were vexed if their virtues were known, and pleased that their imperfections should be seen.'--St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney . Pride prevents us from obtaining what God has put on our way as a source of blessing, for God loathes pride...The greatest misery does not stop Me from uniting Myself to a soul, but where there is pride, I am not there. (1563) --St. Faustina, Divine Mercy in my Soul. Just like humility Identifies God's child, Pride puts one in the devil's camp and household, for it is in the gene of the evil one...“It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels.” --Saint Augustine. May The Lord keep us grant us the grace to be humbler each day, may we shed every shred of pride in our lives.

Today, let me walk in prayers with OZAOEKPE, may your participation in this lenten period, make you more and more Christlike in the imitation of the virtue of humility, and may you have angelic companions to help you out; like the servants did to Naaman.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 2:29pm On Feb 29, 2016
hurricaneChris:
Good morning brothers and sisters.

I have good news

dreams are becoming reality cheesy cheesy
Should I be "Ironing" my suit... grin grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 7:27am On Mar 01, 2016
From Today's Gospel MT 18:21-35

"...Now when his fellow servants saw what had happened,they were deeply disturbed, and went to their masterand reported the whole affair. His master summoned him and said to him, ‘You wicked servant!I forgave you your entire debt because you begged me to.Should you not have had pity on your fellow servant,as I had pity on you?’Then in anger his master handed him over to the torturers until he should pay back the whole debt.So will my heavenly Father do to you,unless each of you forgives your brother from your heart.”

To forgive isn't an easy thing when the injury really did hurt. How many times however have we ourselves been in need of forgiveness, when with our whole heart we had wished and prayed that we be forgiven our error... to err is indeed human. We do no need to feel like forgiving someone before we do so, because forgiveness is not an emotion, it is an act of will, you just decide to do it. It is not an easy thing to do when the hurt was deep “Forgiveness is a beautiful idea – until you have something to forgive.” (C.S.Lewis) But it is the Christian thing to do, for St. Paul encourages us thus : "Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, with all malice, and be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ Forgave youEphesians 4:31-32. Forgiveness isn't to forget... that could be called denial, nor should it be confused with reconciliation, for Jesus forgave those who crucified him; even though they were yet to repent.

As a help towards forgiveness,Someone offered these three steps:
1. Take your mind off of the person you can’t forgive:Do not allow yourself to grumble, or justify your situation, or feel sorry for yourself, or dream about ways to get even. Kill those thoughts as soon as you see them coming.
2. Remember that you are a sinner too.: Recall specific ways you’ve needed forgiveness. Ask God to help you, if you can’t. Go to confession, if that helps.
3. Every time that person comes to mind, say the words “I forgive you” whether you feel it or not.Make it an act of the will and ask the Holy Spirit to pour God’s love into your heart. Over time, start asking God to bless the person. Romans 12:14.
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

Today, let me walk in prayers with you dear babestell, as you meditate on the cross this lenten period, may the full power of God to forgive be felt in your life, may you be more and more like our Lord in the forgiveness of others, and the Joy of the Lord fill your heart always.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by chikk(f): 6:40pm On Mar 01, 2016
Hello and good evening everyone. Happy new year, lent, and new month to you all. May this month bring us more grace to overcome the challenges of our lives.

Mr syncan, I read. Weldone sir.

Salc, kamsified, jnrbayano, rich4god, debbie, etc. I greet you all in the name of Jesus + Mary.

Kindly visit the thread: https://www.nairaland.com/2963343/call-support-orphanage-trip

We're planning a trip to an orphanage in abuja come this easter. I don't know who's in abuja, you're welcome to join us. If you're not, you're welcome to make donations of kind, cash and/or prayers.

Thanks a lot and God bless you all immensely!!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 9:38am On Mar 02, 2016
From today's reading DT 4:1, 5-9

"...For what great nation is there that has gods so close to it as the LORD, our God, is to us..."

How closer could your God be to you O catholic, how closer could He be? He has made Himself but food for you that He may dwell in you and you in Him. There's this song I love so much, it's titled "O What Could My Jesus Do More", one of the stanzas goes like this :

In life and In death Thou art mine,
My Saviour, I'm sealed with Thy blood;
Till eternity on me doth shine,
I'll feed on the flesh of my God.
I'll feed on the flesh of my God.

Throughout the centuries, aye even till this very day, Eucharistic miracles have continued to prove to mankind the presence of God in the form of bread and wine. From the miracle of lanciano, Italy in the 8th Century, when a consecrated host changed to a bleeding flesh before a doubting monk, to the miracle of Santarem, Portugal in the 13th Century, when a consecrated host changed to flesh before a woman who was to take it to a sorceress, up till the miracle of Chirattakonam, India in the 21st century (2001), When drops of blood began to flow from a consecrated host during Eucharistic adoration, God has continued to show each generation that The Lord our God is truly present in the Eucharist. At the tarbenacle, Christ is hidden in the form of bread, "come to me all you heavy laden, he said, and I will give you rest". I posted this link below sometime ago, it's a nice video of present reality, a Eucharistic miracle in our present time.

https://www.facebook.com/staycatholic/videos/1492019390814564/?fref=nf.

Today, let me walk in prayers with my brother Italo, as we partake in the breaking of bread this Lent, may the Eucharistic Lord be ever present in your life, to transform you more and more into Him, and may you find succor each time you approach Him at the Tabernacle in prayers.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 6:53am On Mar 03, 2016
chikk:
Hello and good evening everyone. Happy new year, lent, and new month to you all. May this month bring us more grace to overcome the challenges of our lives.

Mr syncan, I read. Weldone sir.

Salc, kamsified, jnrbayano, rich4god, debbie, etc. I greet you all in the name of Jesus + Mary.

Kindly visit the thread: https://www.nairaland.com/2963343/call-support-orphanage-trip

We're planning a trip to an orphanage in abuja come this easter. I don't know who's in abuja, you're welcome to join us. If you're not, you're welcome to make donations of kind, cash and/or prayers.

Thanks a lot and God bless you all immensely!!

Thanks nne, that's commendable, may the very act of charity bring the participants immense blessings.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 8:01am On Mar 03, 2016
From today's reading JER 7:23-28

Thus says the LORD: This is what I commanded my people: Listen to my voice; then I will be your God and you shall be my people.
Walk in all the ways that I command you, so that you may prosper...

Gospel LK 11:14-23

...When a strong man fully armed guards his palace, his possessions are safe. But when one stronger than he attacks and overcomes him, he takes away the armor on which he relied and distributes the spoils. Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.”

From the moment of our baptism the Lord calls us to walk with him. We've all at one point or the other experienced a feeling of security because of the presence of another person we look up to. That's how God wants us to feel in his presence, for nothing could be greater than the one who created all. God promises numerous blessings on the one who walks with Him, in His ways, guided by His light. I could remember only a particular line in one of Patty Obasi's songs, it goes like this "ngozi Chukwu na-eme ogalanya, o naghi enye nsogbu" "God's blessings maketh rich and added no sorrow" Prov.10:22. Each time I listen to that his song, I used to watch out for that part and join him in the singing, lol. Walking with the Lord brings Joy, It matters not what is happening to you outwardly, even if the worlds weight rests heavily on your shoulder, there's this inner tranquility that envelopes you when you walk with the Lord, especially when you're facing a wrong consequence for doing the right thing. That peace is a great thing, it is invaluable. Let's walk with the Lord brethren, for whoever does not walk with Him is against Him. Let's start from the below list in this lent, if you cannot do it alone, join a group:

Corporal Works of mercy

To feed the hungry
To give drink to the thirsty
To clothe the naked
To harbour the harbourless
To visit the sick
To ransom the captive
To bury the dead.

Today, let me walk in prayers with you Chikk, as you walk through this period of lent with the Lord, may His presence be the assurance you need that you cares and concerns do touch heaven, and may your days ahead be joy filled.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by chikk(f): 11:14am On Mar 03, 2016
^^^^^

Thanks alot Syncan. Your prayers are well appreciated, God bless you.

Thanks also Salc and Rich4god for sharing. it helps to spread the word.

Thanks to everyone who's contacted. it feels good to have the support especially the moral and spiritual, (thoough we still need the material and financial wink )

May God Almighty of the needy raise helpers for you all in your time of need, as you help others, Amen.

Good morning everyone.

(1) (2) (3) ... (434) (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) (440) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 161
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.