Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,801 members, 7,810,086 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:25 PM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (440) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (517045 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (437) (438) (439) (440) (441) (442) (443) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 9:38am On Mar 30, 2016
hurricaneChris:

onye eze. Nwee ndidi

Nwannem, I sitizie olu, ibezia m n'igwe. smiley

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 12:54pm On Apr 03, 2016
Happy divine mercy Sunday... May the mercy of God never depart from us.

Merciful.... Like the Father...

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by lashout1: 2:23pm On Apr 03, 2016
The Old Testament
According to the book of Genesis, God placed the first human beings, Adam and Eve, in a kind of paradise—the Garden of Eden—but they fell from that lofty state of grace through the serpent's temptation of them to an act of pride and disobedience, and their human nature was thereby corrupted. Then what was God's response to their disobedience? on the one hand, punishment: they were cast out of the Garden of Eden, and became subject to toil, and pain, and death. And yet God also tempered their sentence with a promise of mercy: God promised that of the seed of the woman would one day spring forth someone who would crush the evil serpent's head (that is, who would defeat the devil's power, see Gen. 3:15). It is called in the Catholic tradition the "protoevangelium" (the first hint of the gospel), a prophetic foreshadowing of the Messiah who was to come.
Later in Genesis, there is the first homicide among the sons of Adam: Cain kills Abel. Then Cain is driven out, banished from his family to wander as a fugitive. Once again, however, God tempers His punishments with mercy. The Lord puts His mark of protection on Cain and declares (Gen. 4:15): "If anyone kills Cain, vengeance shall be taken upon him sevenfold."
Then in the story of Noah and the Flood, we see not only Divine justice, but Divine Mercy at work: Noah and his family are saved in the Ark from the flood, the human race is thereby given a second chance, and God places a rainbow in the sky as an abiding sign of His promise of forbearance with sinful humanity (Gen. 9: 8-17).
In these early chapters of Genesis, therefore, we do not have a very well-developed conception of the Divine Mercy; Moses and the Israelites who first wrote and read these chapters still had more to learn about the mercy of God. Nevertheless, the Divine Mercy is clearly in evidence. God is not just portrayed as a God of righteous wrath and punishment; rather, His strict justice is tempered (so to speak) by His mercy.
The merciful love of God crops up in other places in Genesis as well. For example, there is the story of Abraham pleading for mercy with God upon Sodom and Gomorrah in Genesis 18. The Lord promises Abraham that if He could find only ten righteous persons in that whole city of wickedness, He would not destroy the city for the sake of the ten.
There is also the beautiful testimony to the greatness of Divine Mercy in Jacob's prayer as he went to meet his brother Esau for the first time since Jacob's long sojourn with the family of Laban. Fearing that he would meet in his brother only vengeful anger, because Jacob had tricked Esau out of the family inheritance many years before, Jacob appealed for protection to the God of Abraham and Isaac, saying: " I am not worthy of the least of all thy mercies [RSV "I am not worthy of the least of all thy steadfast love and faithfulness" — "hesed"] which thou hast shown to thy servant, for with only my staff I crossed this Jordan [many years ago], and now I have become to companies" (Gen. 32:11).
It was the experience of the Exodus from Egypt that truly sealed in the minds and hearts of the Israelites that, above all, their God was a God of mercy. Pope John Paul II explains in his encyclical "Dives in Misericordia" (section 4);
"At the root of the many-sided conviction [about Divine Mercy], which is both communal and personal, and which is demonstrated by the whole of the Old Testament down the centuries, is the basic experience of the chosen people at the Exodus: the Lord saw the affliction of His people reduced to slavery, heard their cry, knew their sufferings and decided to deliver them. In this act of salvation by the Lord, the prophet [Isaiah] perceived His love and compassion. This is precisely the grounds upon which the people and each of its members based their certainty of the mercy of God, which can be invoked whenever tragedy strikes."
The Holy Father was referring here to a passage from the book of the prophet Isaiah, who summed up Israel's understanding of what the Lord had done for them as follows (63: 7-9):
"I will recount the steadfast love of the Lord, the praises of the Lord, according to all that He has granted us, and the great goodness to the house of Israel which He has granted them according to His mercy, according to the abundance of His steadfast love. For he said, surely they are my people, sons who will not deal falsely; and he became their savior. In all their affliction He was afflicted, and the angel of His presence saved them; in His love and pity He redeemed them; he lifted them up and carried them all the days of old."
When the Israelites successfully crossed the Red Sea, Moses sang a hymn of praise and thanksgiving to the Lord: "Thou hast led in thy steadfast love [hesed] the people whom thou hast redeemed, thou hast guided them by thy strength to thy holy abode" (Ex. 15:13).
This series continues next week on the theme of Divine Mercy in the Bible.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 12:44pm On Apr 12, 2016
Where is Syncan?...

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Boomark(m): 2:14am On Apr 24, 2016

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 7:38am On Apr 24, 2016
Boomark:
For those of you who don't know...

https://www.nairaland.com/3065907/cross-symbol-accursed-not-christianity#44983668

Welcome to the home of truth, where scripture is lived. In this place we have pledged in line with God's word..."May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." Gal. 6:14. So thanks, we know better.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 7:54am On Apr 24, 2016
peppyluv02:
Where is Syncan?...

Nne, right here. Hope you're doing good.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Boomark(m): 10:51am On Apr 24, 2016
Syncan:

Welcome to the home of truth, where scripture is lived. In this place we have pledged in line with God's word..."May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." Gal. 6:14. So thanks, we know better.

Mt 16:24
Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up YOUR cross, and follow me

He not talking about a piece of wood here but what the must suffer for his sake(THEIR cross). Paul can never boast over a log of wood. He boasts in his suffering for the sake of Christ.

Thank you for welcoming me to a place where there is great need for proper understanding of the scripture. Longest time.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 1:44pm On Apr 24, 2016
Boomark:

Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up YOUR cross, and follow me

He not talking about a piece of wood here but what the must suffer for his sake(THEIR cross). Paul can never boast over a log of wood. He boasts in his suffering for the sake of Christ. .

Thank you for welcoming me to a place where there is great need for proper understanding of the scripture. Longest time.

Hahaha, I posted on your thread, so take the discuss there, this place remains a place of congregation for those who preach "Christ crucified". 1Cor.1:23. Longest time really, hope you're in good health
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 2:43pm On Apr 24, 2016
Boomark:

He not talking about a piece of wood here but what the must suffer for his sake(THEIR cross). Paul can never boast over a log of wood. He boasts in his suffering for the sake of Christ.

What is this one saying....
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 6:10pm On Apr 24, 2016
Rich4god:
What is this one saying....

Pay no need to him bro.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 7:40pm On Apr 24, 2016
Syncan:

Pay no need to him bro.
Ok, noted... Happy Sunday...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 8:04pm On Apr 24, 2016
Rich4god:
Ok, noted... Happy Sunday...

Same to you bro, its been a while, you are back to the north. Hope you are good...and woky too.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 9:58pm On Apr 24, 2016
Syncan:

Same to you bro, its been a while, you are back to the north. Hope you are good...and woky too.
Am doing great... Though, am yet to see woky.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 8:06am On May 01, 2016
PEACE THE WORLD CANNOT GIVE

Today Jesus offers one of his greatest gifts to humanity: “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you”, he says, “Not as the world gives do I give it to you.” The peace of Christ is enduring, free and all-embracing. It is an interior peace which permeates individual hearts, families, communities, and entire nations. This peace comes from the blessed assurance that we are loved no matter what. It is a peace that comes from the knowledge that even when it seems like our world is falling apart he gently tells us: “Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.” The peace of Christ is not based on popularity, wealth, comfort, or power; but rather on love, mercy, and compassion. It is a peace that comes with contentment rooted in total resignation to the will of God.

We have all heard the proverb, still waters run deep. It’s true for lakes and oceans, but it’s also true for the spiritual life. The deeper our friendship with Christ, the more stable our lives become. Even when storms come and make waves on the surface of the ocean, the depths remain calm. Our Lord wants us to deepen our spiritual life so that we can experience profound interior peace. The peace OF Christ parallels the shalom of the Old Testament – a state of interior concord. We gain this peace through our reconciliation with God made possible through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, the Prince of Peace (Is 9:6).

Unlike worldly peace which usually comes through violent means and never lasts, Jesus offers us a spiritual serenity that soothes our souls no matter our external circumstances. We are not talking about a United Nations’ peacekeeping mission here. It is such a paradox to think that real peace can be achieved by force of arms. It was Baruch Spinoza, 17th century Dutch philosopher, who rightly declared that: “Peace is not the absence of war, it is a virtue, a state of mind, a disposition of benevolence, confidence, justice.” This sentiment is echoed by the Second Vatican Council thus: “Peace is not merely the absence of war; nor can it be reduced solely to the maintenance of a balance of power between enemies; nor is it brought about by dictatorship. Instead, it is rightly and appropriately called an enterprise of justice” (Gaudium et Spes #78).

So how can we achieve authentic peace on earth then? By going back to the mind of Christ! It was two months after the erection of the Berlin Wall that Pope John XXIII said in his last encyclical – Pacem in Terris (Peace on Earth) - that the peace which humanity has sought throughout the ages: “can never be established, never guaranteed, except by the diligent observance of the divinely established order.” In other words, peace can only come through that order structured into human society by the Creator.

Peace on earth is only possible through submission to the divine plan made manifest in Christ Jesus. Outside the peace of Christ, all human efforts to achieve peace on earth will remain futile. Submission to the will of Christ makes us people of goodwill, whose lives give glory to God in the highest. The very first step towards the attainment of peace on earth would be to recognize the rights of peoples everywhere as children of God, and equal citizens of the City of God. In that same encyclical, Pope St John XXIII was emphatic that every human person “has the right to live… has the right to bodily integrity and to the means necessary for the proper development of life, particularly food, clothing, shelter, medical care, rest, and, finally, the necessary social services.”
Even in families, friendships or relationships, there could never be peace and love without respect for the basic human dignity and freedom of the parties involved. Love without freedom is false, manipulative and destructive. True love and peace could never exist in a relationship where one party is abusive and domineering. Thus, we must at all times respect the otherness of the other person; we must let him be him and let her be her. Children too deserve to be accorded their dignity and respect. Every child has the inalienable right to be nurtured in a stable and loving family setting. These things form the basis for peace on earth, as a prelude to the everlasting peace of the Kingdom of God

Dear friends, paraphrasing the words Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia, we can be sure that until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all, born or unborn, young or old, and irrespective of their race, gender, religion, diet, language or physical size, the dreams of a lasting peace on earth, of a global citizenship and the rule of international law and diplomacy, will remain a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained.
Fortunately, Jesus offers us the peace that flows from his fountain of love and mercy. This peace that the world cannot give is available to us in prayer, Scripture and the Sacraments. What unspeakable peace and joy that we gain in the Eucharist and in confession. We also have Mary – the Queen of Peace – as our Mother. But what about the many around us who do not yet know or no longer experience the peace of Christ? What about those wallowing in despair, not realizing that friendship with Christ is the root of peace? What about those who have yet to taste his love or mercy? What about those who do not yet know that God created them for a mission? If we who believe in Christ and have his friendship still find life so difficult, still struggle to experience the interior peace we are called to, imagine how much more difficult and turbulent it is for those who do not yet know Christ. But we can help them. We can introduce them to Christ through our prayers, words, and example. We can and should become channels of Christ’s peace to those around us and to the whole world.
Today, therefore, we pray with St Francis of Assisi: Lord, make me an instrument of your peace; Where there is hatred, let me sow love; Where there is injury, pardon; Where there is doubt, faith; Where there is despair, hope; Where there is darkness, light; Where there is sadness, joy. AMEN!
Readings: Acts 15:1-2, 22-29; Psalms 67:2-3, 5, 6, 8; Revelation 21:10-14, 22-23; John 14:23-29
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 8:12am On May 01, 2016
Good morning brethren and happy sunday to you all smiley

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 11:33am On May 01, 2016
Our usual may devotion... Are we skipping it.... undecided undecided

Salc, abeg call roaster.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:10pm On May 01, 2016
Asabeq, MzflexyDeeva, SalC, richieboyn,
bluerange, KingMEXX, languageso, try69,
HurricaneChris, iykmon, geni, Cocoberry,
Coldblooded, Ikegift4real, PrettySpicey,
Softysparkyy, Nickymezor, Shine96, Zikangee,
Promking, Fidinwala, Chidikus, Leon12, Unongu,
leonshom, Hernyolar, Firearm, MarvellousGod,
Xynerise, tonaydo, Ikaboy, Jraph, Gregdcutie,
Tyina27, gboru, JohnsonEmma, Arookigbo,
tobicool, Deogratias1, Oshiano, Lynpetra, syncan,
italo, ubenedictus, debbie, Kamsified, MariaGorreti,
Chikk, Ify124, babestell, Jnrbayano, Eddyblingzz,
FrancisTony, damerry, Vest, btoks, StObaino1,
Jaywizee, Frankben, Penny01502, Piro4rl,
Othenok, LordOrochimaru, BonnyDominic, ronz,
Rufex07, Trendytessy, Amanda2013, Modestdude,
BuBBLE, MOBJECTIVE, ChineloSA, Missonas,
Agimor, Willy07, zikmarty, Stunningjudy, Aizenosa
Maureenah, Rochiq, Rich4god, Woky, POPEII,
Cyphercypher, engrtee, Chukwudi44, Peppyluv02,
Jenoncam, MrAladin, Hidentity, Burmak,
Lordnammy, titoetal, Nomski0, wonda26,
Davikk01, Livebullet, Polkabluedot, Tuneller, Dyla,
exxell, Clemigho, Lovethywilbedon, Macelliot,
Frodobee, Chidima, Mum4all, Pdizzle, dragon2,
lacum, Jennydoris, justjify, 3tees, EggovinMma
NiceHans Maximu17 Smoothpapuzy, dmandy
jamp marksooyinmiebi deracathy Fembleez1
darknez. Tobetoe Grego3 afanda Rose2014
pamcrest Efsco1 PriceOfGarri juzzybabe Magarida
ONESON1 glimpse33 youngprofdguru
dynamicbuzz Chy27 Equalizer. Pdizzle, OZAOEKPE

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 6:29pm On May 01, 2016
SalC:
Asabeq, MzflexyDeeva, SalC, richieboyn,
bluerange, KingMEXX, languageso, try69,
HurricaneChris, iykmon, geni, Cocoberry,
Coldblooded, Ikegift4real, PrettySpicey,
Softysparkyy, Nickymezor, Shine96, Zikangee,
Promking, Fidinwala, Chidikus, Leon12, Unongu,
leonshom, Hernyolar, Firearm, MarvellousGod,
Xynerise, tonaydo, Ikaboy, Jraph, Gregdcutie,
Tyina27, gboru, JohnsonEmma, Arookigbo,
tobicool, Deogratias1, Oshiano, Lynpetra, syncan,
italo, ubenedictus, debbie, Kamsified, MariaGorreti,
Chikk, Ify124, babestell, Jnrbayano, Eddyblingzz,
FrancisTony, damerry, Vest, btoks, StObaino1,
Jaywizee, Frankben, Penny01502, Piro4rl,
Othenok, LordOrochimaru, BonnyDominic, ronz,
Rufex07, Trendytessy, Amanda2013, Modestdude,
BuBBLE, MOBJECTIVE, ChineloSA, Missonas,
Agimor, Willy07, zikmarty, Stunningjudy, Aizenosa
Maureenah, Rochiq, Rich4god, Woky, POPEII,
Cyphercypher, engrtee, Chukwudi44, Peppyluv02,
Jenoncam, MrAladin, Hidentity, Burmak,
Lordnammy, titoetal, Nomski0, wonda26,
Davikk01, Livebullet, Polkabluedot, Tuneller, Dyla,
exxell, Clemigho, Lovethywilbedon, Macelliot,
Frodobee, Chidima, Mum4all, Pdizzle, dragon2,
lacum, Jennydoris, justjify, 3tees, EggovinMma
NiceHans Maximu17 Smoothpapuzy, dmandy
jamp marksooyinmiebi deracathy Fembleez1
darknez. Tobetoe Grego3 afanda Rose2014
pamcrest Efsco1 PriceOfGarri juzzybabe Magarida
ONESON1 glimpse33 youngprofdguru
dynamicbuzz Chy27 Equalizer. Pdizzle, OZAOEKPE
I was summoned and i've appeared...

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:25pm On May 01, 2016
Equalizer:

I was summoned and i've appeared...
Welcome bro

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:28pm On May 01, 2016
Rich4god
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 7:29pm On May 01, 2016
SalC:
Welcome bro

Thanks.. what's happening or what's about to happen?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:32pm On May 01, 2016
Equalizer:

Thanks.. what's happening or what's about to happen?
May devotion
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 7:34pm On May 01, 2016
SalC:
May devotion

OK.. Am here..
Re: A Thread For Catholics by dadebayo1(m): 7:39pm On May 01, 2016
Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with thee blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus Holy Mary Mother of God pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death Amen
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 7:44pm On May 01, 2016
Happy new month brethren
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 7:45pm On May 01, 2016
dadebayo1:
Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with thee blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus Holy Mary Mother of God pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death Amen
Amen. I greet u bro
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 7:50pm On May 01, 2016
Kamsified:
Happy new month brethren
Is someone impersonating you or is this my zing...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 7:51pm On May 01, 2016
SalC:
Rich4god
We have to get started na.... Thank God tomorrow is public holiday, so we can use between now and tomorrow yo plan for it.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 7:52pm On May 01, 2016
Salc, plz call d attention of our master planner...Syncan....
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 7:53pm On May 01, 2016
Erm... Forgive my poor memory... Is dis not d month of Italo's "D-Day".... Or is it still ahead
Re: A Thread For Catholics by dadebayo1(m): 7:54pm On May 01, 2016
Kamsified:

Amen. I greet u bro

Amen.

Thank you my dearest brother... May the blessings of the month continue to abide with us all.

(1) (2) (3) ... (437) (438) (439) (440) (441) (442) (443) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.