Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,897 members, 7,814,033 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America (80270 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Any Questions About China, Taiwan , Hongkong Etc / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 12:23am On Oct 08, 2013
kilode95: And to think I was going to remove atlanta from my list(i wanna transfer to georgia tech)...
I've heard stuffs about it ...the crime rate and all...

Ogugua, wetin east coast do 4 una...

Atlanta is a fine city and Tech is a top notch school
Yes the school is in the heart of downtown atlanta with the crime found in all down town areas despite the police presence
But these hoodlums hide in alley ways to attack
Just don't walk alone late at night
Most of the mugging and purse snatches that have occurred are usually on lone walkers past midnight
They advise students not to have their Fancy phones or IPods out that late whole walking down the street
That is what attracts the attackers
The school has a great African Students organization too with many Nigerians
You will like it
I know some people there
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Tochium: 6:07am On Oct 08, 2013
babyosisi:

I have never been to Pasadena TX but I do know that it is not too far away from Houston
I know a lady that studied nursing at San jacinto College and made the drive daily and back from Houston

" goes to google" grin

It's only 16 miles from Houston they say ,so you won't be far from a big city should you decide to live there
Houston is quite large so the 16 miles would depend on what part of Houston.
You will find all the conveniences of a large city there also
Texas generally has no reliable public transport so you need a car to get around.

After San jacinto College you may now want to transfer to a 4 year college and get your bachelors

Like I told people earlier,the easiest jobs for an immigrant to get are in the medical field,I will be frank with you
That is where the most demand is
That doesn't mean it's impossible to get jobs in other areas

San Jacinto College has three campuses, two in Houston and one in Pasadena.

What medical course would you suggest for me? Let me see if I can opt for a change of course on arrival
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Husmern(m): 9:41am On Oct 08, 2013
babyosisi:

Congratulations
Coming in with an immigrant visa gives you an edge over many of us that came in with student or visitors visa.
Las Vegas
Oh lala
Sin city.
I guess that is where you have relatives
The dream of going to school should be foremost in your plan
I wish you told me your age too,married?,single?
Let me tell you what I would tell my own brother in the same situation.

First of all make sure you get an international driver license from Nigeria
You can legally drive with it here for at least 6 months.
Also get a sealed copy or two of your transcripts from the polytechnic you attended.

1. As soon as you Come in,you go and apply for a social security number
The card takes a few weeks to arrive but about the next day after you apply you can go back to the SS office and they will give you the number which will be on that card.

2. Go to Bank of America or Wells Fargo and open a bank account and put the required minimum in it.
I recommended those two because they have branches all over the USA.

Why do you need a bank account soon?

When eventually you go to get a drivers license,they ask for 2 proofs of address in your name and a bank statement is usually one since the bills in the house will bear your host's name.
The letter from the social security office will be your second proof .

3.make a resume in the format used here in the USA

4. Go to the nearest community college and make inquiries about the course you want to study.

The good thing here is that you can get loans and some grants because of your immigrant status.Community colleges are flexible ,most people there take classes and also work.
You can take classes to upgrade to the associate degree there and then transfer to a 4 year college for the remaining two years.
If you ask me to suggest a course of study,I will say Pharmacy Tech.
It takes about 12 months and you can continue and work your way to a pharmacy school eventually.
People have done it and so can you.

Let me let out another thing I just learned recently and I know someone doing it so I am speaking fact here
Another good field to get into for those who are more handy and not into bookuru is truck and tractor driving
There are truck driving schools and some that have accommodation for the length of training,usually about 2 months.
Truck drivers can make as much as $40 an hour
Starting salary about $25/ hr
And it is not just cross country driving,some drive locally,some in oil fields
Not an easy job but you can make a good living doing it

Lastly please lose that way of writing
It will do you no good here
Spell out your words properly and spell check your resume especially

I wish you the best when you arrive the USA
Stay focused and you will make it!!

I'm very greatful for dis ur wonderful reply.. Infact u are really helping new faces coming to US here..thanks. SIN CITY? that's where my host stay oo..infact a lot of stress b/4 I get dt host. I'll b coming as single o. How much will be required in minimum to open a bank account becos i'm coming with a token of $300? 1 issue about geting transcript here is that they are expecting me to tell them the school l'm applying to and without that they cannot process my transcript. I'm BTW 25 & 28 yrs and on d driver's license side I think there's no time for me again to do it here because my visa is expiring next month and I must jet out ASAP this month, hope it won't cost me too much there to do it. PHAMARacY TECH? do you think I can cope with the course? I did computer science in my ND o.. Thanks once again
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 11:05am On Oct 08, 2013
@babyosisi,
Thank you for opening this wonderful thread. It's been enlightening. Please I would like you to give an advice on this thought: first off what's the difference between a visiting and tourist visa? Secondly, can someone who travelled using either of the visas stated above be allowed to stay back in the US to study and even work?

Please I would appreciate your prompt response.

Thank you.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:07pm On Oct 08, 2013
Husmern: I'm very greatful for dis ur wonderful reply.. Infact u are really helping new faces coming to US here..thanks. SIN CITY? that's where my host stay oo..infact a lot of stress b/4 I get dt host. I'll b coming as single o. How much will be required in minimum to open a bank account becos i'm coming with a token of $300? 1 issue about geting transcript here is that they are expecting me to tell them the school l'm applying to and without that they cannot process my transcript. I'm BTW 25 & 28 yrs and on d driver's license side I think there's no time for me again to do it here because my visa is expiring next month and I must jet out ASAP this month, hope it won't cost me too much there to do it. PHAMARacY TECH? do you think I can cope with the course? I did computer science in my ND o.. Thanks once again

There are people who studied English back home that are nurses in America
People who didn't even clear WAEC have worked hard to have masters and PHD
You can do it
If you passed WAEC and gained admission to a college in Nigeria and studied to an ND ,You can certainly do it,you are already a science student.

It is not going to be easy staying with someone but just be respectful of their home and keep your corners neat and work hard to be independent ASAP

Bank of America can accept as little as $50 in a savings account.
I am happy for you
Don't go looking at naked women on the Las Vegas strip grin grin
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by practicalclass: 2:18pm On Oct 08, 2013
This thread is real good for information and meeting people. Please OP, can you link me up with Nigerians who studied medicine in Nigerian universities and are now practicing or doing residency in the USA. I'm really expecting to hear from you, thanks a bunch.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:19pm On Oct 08, 2013
codebrew85: @babyosisi,
Thank you for opening this wonderful thread. It's been enlightening. Please I would like you to give an advice on this thought: first off what's the difference between a visiting and tourist visa? Secondly, can someone who travelled using either of the visas stated above be allowed to stay back in the US to study and even work?

Please I would appreciate your prompt response.

Thank you.

Tourist visa and visiting visa are the same
They are designated as B1/B2
A holder of a visiting visa can convert to an F1 ( student's visa) as long as the school is accredited to issue an 1-20
Remember the school will need your evidence of funding to give you that.
An I-20 is the document a school issues foreign students after admission.
It is not a guarantee that you will get the F1 but you cannot get the F 1 without it.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:22pm On Oct 08, 2013
practicalclass: This thread is real good for information and meeting people. Please OP, can you link me up with Nigerians who studied medicine in Nigerian universities and are now practicing or doing residency in the USA. I'm really expecting to hear from you, thanks a bunch.

Ask your questions maybe someone will see it and answer
What do you want yo know
There is information for foreign trained doctors all over the web
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Husmern(m): 2:23pm On Oct 08, 2013
babyosisi:

There are people who studied English back home that are nurses in America
People who didn't even clear WAEC have worked hard to have masters and PHD
You can do it
If you passed WAEC and gained admission to a college in Nigeria and studied to an ND ,You can certainly do it,you are already a science student.

It is not going to be easy staying with someone but just be respectful of their home and keep your corners neat and work hard to be independent ASAP

Bank of America can accept as little as $50 in a savings account.
I am happy for you
Don't go looking at naked women on the Las Vegas strip grin grin
thanks....can I quickly apply at college when I get there without getting job first? Or I can do both at once? And which college will u suggest for me as best? How do I search n apply? Vegas strip keh! Where do I know?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:33pm On Oct 08, 2013
For years the United States has been training too few doctors to meet its own needs, in part because of industry-set limits on the number of medical school slots available. Today about one in four physicians practicing in the United States were trained abroad, a figure that includes a substantial number of American citizens who could not get into medical school at home and studied in places like the Caribbean.

But immigrant doctors, no matter how experienced and well trained, must run a long, costly and confusing gantlet before they can actually practice here.

The process usually starts with an application to a private nonprofit organization that verifies medical school transcripts and diplomas. Among other requirements, foreign doctors must prove they speak English; pass three separate steps of the United States Medical Licensing Examination; get American recommendation letters, usually obtained after volunteering or working in a hospital, clinic or research organization; and be permanent residents or receive a work visa (which often requires them to return to their home country after their training).

The biggest challenge is that an immigrant physician must win one of the coveted slots in America’s medical residency system, the step that seems to be the tightest bottleneck.

That residency, which typically involves grueling 80-hour workweeks, is required even if a doctor previously did a residency in a country with an advanced medical system, like Britain or Japan. The only exception is for doctors who did their residencies in Canada.

The whole process can consume upward of a decade — for those lucky few who make it through.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/12/business/economy/long-slog-for-foreign-doctors-to-practice-in-us.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:49pm On Oct 08, 2013
Husmern: thanks....can I quickly apply at college when I get there without getting job first? Or I can do both at once? And which college will u suggest for me as best? How do I search n apply? Vegas strip keh! Where do I know?

Start now to look on the Internet for community colleges around Las Vegas
Since you are not coming with a lot of money,you should probably hasten to find a job,any job to help provide your needs while you search for school
But please my dear brother I take God beg you,please don't take a job working graveyard shift at a gas station most especially.
Working as a janitor( cleaner) in a psychiatric hospital is a million times safer than working overnight at a gas station or corner store.
You have an edge with your immigrant visa

Remember the steps I gave earlier

1. Apply for a social security number immediately
2. open an account
3. Get a driver's license or at least a Nevada State ID

Most jobs and schools will require nos 1 and 3 above as proof of your identity
You don't want to be flashing your Naija passport around for ID
A state ID shows that you don full ground
Hopefully your host will help you get to those places as quickly as possible.

Remember that the weather is beginning to get cold
Bring your jeans and long sleeves and sweaters and sneakers, jackets ,you will need them
Also bring some crayfish ,egusi and Ogbono for your host,they will appreciate it. grin

One thing I appreciate the most from my guests are the latest nigerian Christian danceable hit and a DJ mix of the happening songs from flavor,Timaya,p square,wiz kid dem dem.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by fckyourman: 3:12pm On Oct 08, 2013
fckyourman: Why are American unis more expensive than uk. Imagine 34kusd to 50kusd per year for Uni in the us, how do you survive while uk is around 7,000£ to 13,000£. Do they give you scholarship for international student or anyone is granted financial aids.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Husmern(m): 3:27pm On Oct 08, 2013
babyosisi:

Start now to look on the Internet for community colleges around Las Vegas
Since you are not coming with a lot of money,you should probably hasten to find a job,any job to help provide your needs while you search for school
But please my dear brother I take God beg you,please don't take a job working graveyard shift at a gas station most especially.
Working as a janitor( cleaner) in a psychiatric hospital is a million times safer than working overnight at a gas station or corner store.
You have an edge with your immigrant visa

Remember the steps I gave earlier

1. Apply for a social security number immediately
2. open an account
3. Get a driver's license or at least a Nevada State ID

Most jobs and schools will require nos 1 and 3 above as proof of your identity
You don't want to be flashing your Naija passport around for ID
A state ID shows that you don full ground
Hopefully your host will help you get to those places as quickly as possible.

Remember that the weather is beginning to get cold
Bring your jeans and long sleeves and sweaters and sneakers, jackets ,you will need them
Also bring some crayfish ,egusi and Ogbono for your host,they will appreciate it. grin

One thing I appreciate the most from my guests are the latest nigerian Christian danceable hit and a DJ mix of the happening songs from flavor,Timaya,p square,wiz kid dem dem.

abi o...I dn buy plenty egusi n ogbono..jeans,jacket cost there ni?..more advice are still needed from u when i port come there sha..it's as if u open dis thread for my sake ni..thanks. Hope ur email is shareable

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 7:22pm On Oct 08, 2013
Husmern: abi o...I dn buy plenty egusi n ogbono..jeans,jacket cost there ni?..more advice are still needed from u when i port come there sha..it's as if u open dis thread for my sake ni..thanks. Hope ur email is shareable

Ok
No problems
Keep in touch and let me know when you arrive
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 7:27pm On Oct 08, 2013
fckyourman: Why are American unis more expensive than uk. Imagine 34kusd to 50kusd per year for Uni in the us, how do you survive while uk is around 7,000£ to 13,000£. Do they give you scholarship for international student or anyone is granted financial aids.

Maybe your username put me off lol
American universities are expensive yes
State universities are much cheaper than private.
There are some international students that come with grants and scholarships,most do not.
International students can get loans if they can find an American citizen or green card holder to co- sign for them
Most people here go to school with loans
I did too
That is just the way it it
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Husmern(m): 8:31pm On Oct 08, 2013
babyosisi:

Ok
No problems
Keep in touch and let me know when you arrive
Thanks ma
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by chyk91(m): 11:47pm On Oct 08, 2013
Babyosisi, I will appreciate it if u answer my question. It's one thing to read stuff over the net, its another to get info from someone whose husband went through what I might be going through. Also any other advice from you will be appreciated.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 12:00am On Oct 09, 2013
chyk91: Lovely thread, keep up the good work babyosisi, am a final year medical student here in nigeria and also hoping to do a residency in the u.s, I have read your reply to fratochi but I still want to ask if its possible to still be in nigeria and be matched for a residency programme in the u.s after passing the usmle or I must be a resident in the u.s before I can be matched. Also do you envisage any problem in getting a visa for the usmle cs step2 as this step requires me to come to the u.s. Lastly, was your husband doing any other job while volunteering in hospitals to learn the ropes. Thanks in anticipation.

I have never heard of anyone who matched from Nigeria
I don't even advice anyone to take those exams without setting foot here,your score determines the future
[b]If you read the piece I posted as response,[/b]you need references from here in the USA so u need to be here to get them
You need to process your degree and transcript through an agency ,how can you do that from Nigeria

People have used registering for the step two to get visas,I don't know how common that is nowadays.

No my husband did not work any other jobs while he was doing volunteer work.how could he?
We drank garri and managed
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Step84(m): 12:17am On Oct 09, 2013
@ozo_emeka, is like u are suffering and frustrated in the US of A from the way you talk. Meanwhile u don't expect every other person to be unfortunate as yourself. So my candid advice for you is to take the next available flight back to Nigeria and stop vomiting thrash. Is that ok? Ode!
ozo_emeka: "Tribalism is a
million times worse" Where are your sources? Citations? References? Or are you just assuming in your "thick skull" that it should be so SINCE you THINK SO? I gave you facts, please support your BROAD claims with FACTS

Colossal lawsuits, you mean like the Trayvon Martin law suit that ended up with...Zimmerman acquitted? Oh yes, of course the justice system in the US is VERY VERY fair.once you get racially profiled you will get GAZILLIONS of dollars in compensation - OH YES! Lie to them.

Boko haram is slaughtering for religion, and you don't have psychos who do so in America in the name of the Lord? The CT shooting? Oh, of course you are FALSELY encouraging immigrants, so why mention that to them. Afterall, AMERICA IS PERFECT!

85% of people live in worse places? LMAO WOW the way you COME UP with your MAGIC numbers. Citation? References? I am waiting for TANGIBLE thoroughly researched EVIDENCE

You and the guy who claims magnet research is science, I don't know who is worse. I guess it's a nigerian thing huh, not having concrete facts

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by practicalclass: 12:18am On Oct 09, 2013
babyosisi:

Ask your questions maybe someone will see it and answer
What do you want yo know
There is information for foreign trained doctors all over the web

I have read all the information on the web, but I need to meet someone (or some people) who have gone through it and will guide me through in person. I already have access to the country, so that one is out of the way, and I've read lots on the web I mean lots (like the procedure to take the usmle, Kaplan school though thus is undue cost cos Nigerians do know how to study hard, the residency match, past record of number of positions filed by international medical graduates, etc). So please I'll appreciate meeting someone in person. Thanks.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by jonnyp(m): 12:33pm On Oct 09, 2013
good day ma,pls am applying to texas state university next year fall as a art student and i intend to study mass communication.i want to know after graduation can i get a good job!i also have a good driving skil.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by jonnyp(m): 4:07pm On Oct 09, 2013
@Babyosisi pls i need your candid Advice o..biko ana ma rio ke nwana.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:09pm On Oct 09, 2013
kilode95: And to think I was going to remove atlanta from my list(i wanna transfer to georgia tech)...
I've heard stuffs about it ...the crime rate and all...

Ogugua, wetin east coast do 4 una...

They're different. Lol.

Nothing. I just prefer my dry-aired west much better.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Jaysleeves(m): 5:49pm On Oct 09, 2013
pls am currently studing pharmacology and hopefully make the big move after graduation pls what are my chances of getting employed as a sales rep in any of the big pharms or biotech firms also must i take any professional exams if i wish to move up to scientifc positions
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 8:22pm On Oct 09, 2013
jonnyp: good day ma,pls am applying to texas state university next year fall as a art student and i intend to study mass communication.i want to know after graduation can i get a good job!i also have a good driving skil.

I already wrote that the medical field is the easiest for immigrants to be employed.That is the gospel truth.
Doesn't mean other fields are closed.Every skill is an advantage.
Like I told the other person,make sure u come with an international drivers license since u can use it legally for 6 months
You eventually have to take and pass the driver's test to get the state of Texas drivers license but being able to drive is one big huddle people should sort out before migrating overseas.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 8:31pm On Oct 09, 2013
jonnyp: good day ma,pls am applying to texas state university next year fall as a art student and i intend to study mass communication.i want to know after graduation can i get a good job!i also have a good driving skil.
How's your accent? Do you have an American or British Accent?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 8:34pm On Oct 09, 2013
Jaysleeves: pls am currently studing pharmacology and hopefully make the big move after graduation pls what are my chances of getting employed as a sales rep in any of the big pharms or biotech firms also must i take any professional exams if i wish to move up to scientifc positions

To be honest ,it will be tough to come straight from Nigeria to get a job like that
First of all the drug generic names are very different in both countries
I wanted to say get a masters degree here afterwards but then you may be overqualified for a sales rep job with a masters
I knew a lady ( may her soul RIP) who had a fantastic job like you described with a big time pharmaceutical company and worked there for years traveling the world
She is Nigerian but she studied here.
Nothing is impossible
If you can get here,come and try your luck I say
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by ikecinho(m): 9:38pm On Oct 09, 2013
Pls dear!
Help me,am the guy that told you of my aim to study theatre art.
Seriously I only want to study there afterward I return back to nigeria ,but how much would it cost me,I mean estimate to study in that field.
And can I get job while am studying since I have to sponsor myself.
Which school ,city should you look out for?

Please I need your advice to help on my research.
THANKS
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by jonnyp(m): 11:46pm On Oct 09, 2013
@Babyosisi thanks for your respose.am not realy good at science subject and i dont think i can cope.pls if there is anyother course i could read that wil get me job after graduation wil be appreciated.thanks!
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by jonnyp(m): 11:52pm On Oct 09, 2013
Afam4eva:
How's your accent? Do you have an American or British Accent?
nnwane!thank o jare..i wil say i can speak american english,but no that good.tho i watch alot of their films.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 11:56pm On Oct 09, 2013
jonnyp: nnwane!thank o jare..i wil say i can speak american english,but no that good.tho i watch alot of their films.
I'm asking because like Babyosisi said to someone else, the media outfits rarely employ people that have an accent(that's a non American or mainstream accent). So, it will be a tough sell for someone that has a Non-American accent.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by jonnyp(m): 12:24am On Oct 10, 2013
@Afam4eva. ok!what do u think i do nw.am not good in stem courses at all,infact is no go area 4me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply)

Sad Truths About Living Abroad / See How Lagosians Sleep In Buses On Their Way To Work In The Morning (PHOTOS) / Longest And Most Confusing Pedestran Bridge In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.