Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,145 members, 7,835,828 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:40 PM

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America (80404 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Any Questions About China, Taiwan , Hongkong Etc / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by iamchux(m): 12:01pm On Oct 12, 2013
ozo_emeka: So you got yours through mutual hustle.. HAHA

I thought your husband attended OXFORD, CAMBRIDGE and HARVARD all in one

Guy! Be matured now...Why behaving childish! Grow up!
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by iamchux(m): 6:51pm On Oct 12, 2013

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by ayooyee: 10:00pm On Oct 12, 2013
@babyosis pls i nid 2 contact u pls i beg u can u send ur mail 2m tru ayooyee@yahoo.com
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by EEngineer1(m): 10:40pm On Oct 12, 2013
@babyosisi, I like the way u are helping people on this thread in a honest and friendly manner but I just have one thing against your initial posts, when u and Emeka were arguing u insulted your country with unverified facts, yes nigeria has issues but one problem all african nations have is a poor international image due to exxagerated stories from the western media and nonchalance from our corrupt leaders but u of all people should know that things are not always as they are portrayed. Making statements like " tribalism is a million times worse than racism", " 85% of nigerians can't eat" doesn't help our international image on a public forum especially when those statements are not verified or just exxagerated. Anyhow more grease to your elbow in your good service, take care sister
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 11:33pm On Oct 12, 2013
Phema:

I understand you perfectly. I'm in medicals too, so I get where you are coming from. All babyosisi is saying is that; people in medicals are generally more employable across board than their counterparts, reason she is advising intending immigrants to look along that line. We all know that going into medicals is no piece of cake anywhere in the world. But people have done it. You did it, I did it, they too can do it. It's not beyond anyone who is focused and determined. We are talking of the end result, the employability of the said individual.

If you say there is no less difficult way, then what do you advice they do? What do you recommend? They shouldn't migrate at all?

Thank you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 11:34pm On Oct 12, 2013
Phema: Ogugua, will you quit arguing? She never said the medical field is a piece of cake. She just mentioned a less difficult and practical way to get a job in the USA.

If you don't agree with her, all you need do is mention other fields/alternatives you think will be less difficult for immigrants to get a job! Its not for you to dismiss what she said without trying to provide any answers to the questions of these intending immigrants.

Babyosisi, carry on jor. More ororo to your elbow.

Thank you for your help
I hope the thread will not be derailed anymore
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 11:40pm On Oct 12, 2013
E-Engineer:
@babyosisi, I like the way u are helping people on this thread in a honest and friendly manner but I just have one thing against your initial posts, when u and Emeka were arguing u insulted your country with unverified facts, yes nigeria has issues but one problem all african nations have is a poor international image due to exxagerated stories from the western media and nonchalance from our corrupt leaders but u of all people should know that things are not always as they are portrayed. Making statements like " tribalism is a million times worse than racism", " 85% of nigerians can't eat" doesn't help our international image on a public forum especially when those statements are not verified or just exxagerated. Anyhow more grease to your elbow in your good service, take care sister

If you go through my posts,you will discover that I am a proud nigerian that wears her heritage proudly
And I have passed that on to my children
I would rather not color the true image of a land that I love so much
I did not make that statement happy like one who has escaped Nigeria
Not at all
Please don't let me chronicle the regrets I have about living outside of Nigeria and the things I wish Nigeria could be
Do you think I wouldn't have preferred to raise my kids in the land I was raised?
I will leave that topic for another thread

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 11:42pm On Oct 12, 2013
ayooyee: @babyosis pls i nid 2 contact u pls i beg u can u send ur mail 2m tru ayooyee@yahoo.com

Please ask me any questions here
It may benefit someone else
I hope u don't mind
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 11:59pm On Oct 12, 2013
ade2rasq: Hello madam, well done for the gr8 work u re doin here. Pls I want to knw ur recommendation for somebody dat has mechanical engr background and planning to immigrate to the us with his family through dv, though yet to be interviewed. I also have IT knowledge. I m thinking of doing some IT certification before finally immigrating, may be that wil giv me a quick start and at the same time considering may be to venture into medical field but my interest is mostly in IT. I want to know:
1- hw lucrative is IT career over there.
2-if lucrative, which area of IT is most lucrative over there.
3-if i m ur broda wot wil u recommend.

Unfortunately I don't know much about that field
But I guess
With a degree in mechanical engineering you will do well
You can start now to find out what it takes to get certified or licensed in your field when you come
I know two people that studied engineering ,one at UNN and another at FUTO that now work for the state they live in
That will be a good place for you,a state employment or employment with the city
One of the people I mentioned is a civil engineer,she told me that with a foreign degree she was hired as a technician and after some years of employment she was qualified to sit for the licensing exams and today she is fully licensed making over $70,000 per year .
Sometimes you may have to step back to move forward,when you come to a new environment

Your best resource will be someone you know from home who is here now working as an engineer
Have your CV well done,spellings checked with all the experiences you have in Nigeria and your IT experience will be an added skill
What state are you planning to come to?
Good you are coming with the DV
You have a great advantage with that
Stay focused when you arrive
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 12:08am On Oct 13, 2013
For those migrating with growing children

Listen to me carefully
Where you choose to reside could make you regret moving to America
The cheaper the apartments,the worse the neighborhood,the worse the neighborhood schools,the more likely your kids may be interacting with kids with not so good upbringing,the higher the chances of losing your kids.

Many Nigerians in the council flats of the Uk and low Income neighborhoods in the USA have found out the hard way.
Moving to bad neighborhoods has cost us many of our Nigerian Children.
In a bid to save money,Nigerians have made grave mistakes and lost their kids to the streets
Some have been shot by rival gangs
Some are drug addicts and alcoholics and drop out
Some are in jail
Some impregnated by hanging with the wrong crowd
As I write this I have a good friend whose son has caused him great pain and he wishes he could rewind the hands of the clock and reverse some decisions he made.

It is better to live in a two bedroom apartment in a nice area with nice schools and low crime than get a 4 bedroom home with the same amount in bad neighborhoods.

Don't take chances with the kids,your treasure

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 12:32am On Oct 13, 2013
kunlebal:
One thing I like about your write up is that u said It the way it is, if you want quick paper u have to marry a lady or guy that as paper.
My question is this, what are the chances of somebody that want to study MBA in the state with an accounting background from nigeria and more than 4years working experience in the automotive company here in nigeria.

I missed the question
MBA is a field that that every tom deeeek and Harry is getting from any and any university
If you want to excel with your MBA try to get into a big name school
I am talking the Harvard business school,Wharton in Pennsylvania,Stanford in Cali ,Sloan at MIT
Those folks get recruited by A list jobs from all over the world while still in school
There is a young man that is now a top shot in Nigeria
We grew up in the same neighborhood
I knew when he was at Harvard business school,gained admission from Nigeria
Many months to graduation he had offers in London and Ny and was deciding which one to take
If you want your MBA to make meaning,get into the top schools
There is a huge difference in the school you went to for an MBA

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by ayooyee: 12:47am On Oct 13, 2013
@babyosis pls help m i nid 2advic a frd.he s one f d 2014Dv winners,he s planng 2mov 2 US(Atlanta) bt currently wrkd as civil servant here in Ng earng abt 80k/mnth,bt he s confusd makg decisn i mean leavg his job though he lov furthg his edu i mean master in d US cos he already av degree in computr engrg.Note he wil go wit his wife no child yet.PLS based on ur xperienc wat advic can i giv him.pls urgent. Thanx
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by seunmatt: 5:52am On Oct 13, 2013
@ baby osisi: I think you re doing a great job and most of us appreciate the advise.
My question is dis, hw DO-ABLE is it to get admitted to a school in d us, get to the us and study without having more than $1500.
There'r schools dt get deposit frm u b4 u can come to the us; after gettin the visa, hw do u cope with the fees knowing fully that u don't ve the fees before leaving Nigeria?
Thank you
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by ultrazone(m): 8:12am On Oct 13, 2013
@Babyosis. Thanks for your time and selfless contributions. Here are my questions.

1. Please what is the best non-immigrant visa to get permanent stay later on as a single man coming over there.

2. In looking for love and marriage, to settle down, please explain how these factors influence one's chances; african-american, white, PR, citizen and age difference.

3. What challenges would a person who intends to immigrate with a student visa face? How will the person change career (through sch) considering the expired visa?

4. How many years should someone with a non-immigrant visa be ready to sacrifice until one gets the papers?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by striker9(m): 9:20am On Oct 13, 2013
God bless you babyosisi,for this selfless attitude and work.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by kunlebal(m): 12:39pm On Oct 13, 2013
babyosisi:

I missed the question
MBA is a field that that every tom deeeek and Harry is getting from any and any university
If you want to excel with your MBA try to get into a big name school
I am talking the Harvard business school,Wharton in Pennsylvania,Stanford in Cali ,Sloan at MIT
Those folks get recruited by A list jobs from all over the world while still in school
There is a young man that is now a top shot in Nigeria
We grew up in the same neighborhood
I knew when he was at Harvard business school,gained admission from Nigeria
Many months to graduation he had offers in London and Ny and was deciding which one to take
If you want your MBA to make meaning,get into the top schools
There is a huge difference in the school you went to for an MBA
Thanks for your advice, if I can't go to top schools in the state what do you think I can do to make it in the USA. I only have bsc in accounting from nigeria and considering coming to the state towards dec/jan, kindly advice me asap.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 1:12pm On Oct 13, 2013
Phema:

I understand you perfectly. I'm in medicals too, so I get where you are coming from. All babyosisi is saying is that; people in medicals are generally more employable across board than their counterparts, reason she is advising intending immigrants to look along that line. We all know that going into medicals is no piece of cake anywhere in the world. But people have done it. You did it, I did it, they too can do it. It's not beyond anyone who is focused and determined. We are talking of the end result, the employability of the said individual.

If you say there is no less difficult way, then what do you advice they do? What do you recommend? They shouldn't migrate at all?

Why will medical field be easy when she spends 90% of time in nairaland.

8 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 6:16pm On Oct 13, 2013
Phema: I understand you perfectly. I'm in medicals too, so I get where you are coming from. All babyosisi is saying is that; people in medicals are generally more employable across board than their counterparts, reason she is advising intending immigrants to look along that line. We all know that going into medicals is no piece of cake anywhere in the world. But people have done it. You did it, I did it, they too can do it. It's not beyond anyone who is focused and determined. We are talking of the end result, the employability of the said individual.

Nope, that's not what I'm saying at all. Medicine/health isn't the only field hiring, and because the job prospects remain fairly good doesn't mean everyone should go into it. "Money" and "I'll have a job" aren't the best of reasons as to why someone should decide a career. Satisfaction does matter. It wouldn't be nice to steer someone into a direction they hate. Switch the roles. Let's say it was medicine that had a poor outlook and engineering that had a great one. I would never go into engineering for the simple reason that I don't like it. My love for math ends at algebra II. Our parents have a way of telling our kids what to do, and it's something I've never liked, so I wouldn't do it to someone else. If someone has a goal and the support needed to get there, then failing becomes hard.

Any Nigerian that wants to make it can, and it's not by finding the easiest route or by going into something because there's money and a good job outlook.

If you interview or talk to many of the veteran Nigerian nurses, they will tell you they hate their jobs. Most of them make more than their spouses (usually their husbands) and end up taking the head role of the family in terms of finances. They may be working two jobs to maintain themselves, which results in stress and health issues. My mom and a good number of my aunties fall in this category, as do some American nurses.

If I was the one advising, I'd say come here and study what you want, but prepare to work twice as hard as the minorities who are already working twice as hard to have at least half of what oyibos have. There are numerous Nigerians who are successful in an array of fields. Engineering, judges, lawyers, news broadcasting, teachers/professors, nutritionists, geologists, etc. The chair of the department of criminal justice at my university is a fairly young (late 40s/early 50s) Nigerian man. A Nigerian can make it in any field (we already do). Just do nothing less than the best, network, and be one step ahead of your peers, aka proactive.

Anyway, the OP has accused me of derailing, so I won't be commenting on it any longer.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by toshmann(m): 7:02pm On Oct 13, 2013
babyosisi: For those migrating with growing children

Listen to me carefully
Where you choose to reside could make you regret moving to America
The cheaper the apartments,the worse the neighborhood,the worse the neighborhood schools,the more likely your kids may be interacting with kids with not so good upbringing,the higher the chances of losing your kids.

Many Nigerians in the council flats of the Uk and low Income neighborhoods in the USA have found out the hard way.
Moving to bad neighborhoods has cost us many of our Nigerian Children.
In a bid to save money,Nigerians have made grave mistakes and lost their kids to the streets
Some have been shot by rival gangs
Some are drug addicts and alcoholics and drop out
Some are in jail
Some impregnated by hanging with the wrong crowd
As I write this I have a good friend whose son has caused him great pain and he wishes he could rewind the hands of the clock and reverse some decisions he made.

It is better to live in a two bedroom apartment in a nice area with nice schools and low crime than get a 4 bedroom home with the same amount in bad neighborhoods.

Don't take chances with the kids,your treasure

so true . . . . . . unfortunately.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 9:25pm On Oct 13, 2013
ayooyee: @babyosis pls help m i nid 2advic a frd.he s one f d 2014Dv winners,he s planng 2mov 2 US(Atlanta) bt currently [b]wrkd as civil servant here in Ng earng abt 80k/mnth,bt he s confusd makg decisn i mean leavg his job [/b]though he lov furthg his edu i mean master in d US cos he already av degree in computr engrg.Note he wil go wit his wife no child yet.PLS based on ur xperienc wat advic can i giv him.pls urgent. Thanx

The decision is ultimately his
If he decides to make it lapse,I believe he is passing up a good opportunity
Sounds to me like this is a young couple
That is the best time to migrate besides when one is single
The first few years will be rough but with hardwork and perseverance and listening to the right people,he will be alright.
Maybe when his state govt owes him about 3 months salary he will change his mind lol.
I will advise him to get a one year leave of absence from his job,paid or unpaid and come
If he decides he doesn't like it,he can go back but will have a green card to return should he change his mind again
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 9:28pm On Oct 13, 2013
seun.matt:
@ baby osisi: I think you re doing a great job and most of us appreciate the advise.
My question is dis, hw DO-ABLE is it to get admitted to a school in d us, get to the us and study without having more than $1500.
There'r schools dt get deposit frm u b4 u can come to the us; after gettin the visa, hw do u cope with the fees knowing fully that u don't ve the fees before leaving Nigeria?
Thank you

That amount will not get you anywhere
School fees are very expensive here and the cost higher when you factor in accommodation and upkeep
Do you already have a visa?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 9:33pm On Oct 13, 2013
kunlebal:
Thanks for your advice, if I can't go to top schools in the state what do you think I can do to make it in the USA. I only have bsc in accounting from nigeria and considering coming to the state towards dec/jan, kindly advice me asap.

Nigerian accounting degree holders with a CPA license do well here (certified public accountant)
In know a few
I think that is similar to ICAN in Nigeria
I know two with their own businesses,getting jobs from govt agencies etc and doing extremely well.
CPAs also get hired by firms and virtually every establishment needs an account executive
Hospitals
Engineering firms
Government jobs
Big law firms
Etc
It is a good field no doubt
With further education here and the examinations to become a CPA you should do well
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by FindOut(m): 9:46pm On Oct 13, 2013
Been following this thread almost since the beginning. i think its time I dropped a comment, particularly on this "Medical field" issue.

Babyosisi, I salute your intentions in creating this thread. i also had issues with Ozoemeka's thread, like you, I felt he was not giving a fair evaluation of conditions in the US, even though he wasn't really presenting any fabrications per se, but doing a great deal of exaggeration. However, I think, even as you try to encourage people, & in the process doing a better job than Ozoemeka in educating people, even the smallest amount of sugarcoating should be avoided.

Ogugua raised some very good points I think any intending immigrant should note carefully. Jobs in the medical field or any other field for that matter are not as available or easy to come by as they were 8 years ago. Anyone in that field can confirm everything she said. This may very well likely positively change in the next few years but for now, it is what it is. Lots of people are in the US already looking for those medical jobs and they havn't gotten them yet. You may get in today and get a medical job, but do not think you'll get it on a platter or that you'll find it "easy". Also, Do not throw away your dreams of becoming an Engineer or an Accountant or a Journalist just because it is "easier to get jobs" in the medical field. You may regret it later. Ask those who have had to retrace their steps later in life, or worse still, those who are still living frustrated lives doing what they have no passion for, are not good at, and still not earning what they thought they would.

Anything is easy if you are prepared to surmount the difficulties around it. And the easiest thing can be difficult for anyone who isn't prepared. That said, even for the very well prepared, studying any course in the MEDICAL FIELD is NOT a piece of cake. For many, it is just the passion that keeps them going. Money is fast becoming a less important motivating factor for nurses especially, because again, after school, jobs are not guaranteed. Medical school is super expensive even for Americans and very very stressful. USMLE no be moin moin. Nursing profession no be beans.

I would also advise any intending immigrant with the intention to "hustle" to seriously think am well. "Hustling" now cant be compared to how it was in the 80s, 90s and even early 2000s. Best bet for anyone is to have educational plans in mind. If you have your bachelors, and especially if you r still in your 20s, study hard for & take the GRE & TOEFL in Nigeria, apply to good schools for your masters, you could be lucky enough to get a Scholarship or Graduate/Teaching Assistantship which could pay most or all of your tuition....which in turn could make it 10 times less difficult for you to obtain your visa. Before you conclude masters, while making job plans, consider a PhD. PhD may not necessarily confine you to Academia, you may still get good jobs in Industry. And then, Academia is not a bad thing too if you like teaching. Also, several PhD programs will pay for your tuition & living expenses...if you take your time to research very well and apply to as many good schools as possible, and if you r lucky enough to get in.

Yorubas would say "The market doesn't have one entrance". Different options are out there. Be prepared to face challenges along the way, and be prepared to deal with them. Above all, money is very important, but it's not everything. Wealth and satisfaction do not always go together.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 9:48pm On Oct 13, 2013
ultrazone: @Babyosis. Thanks for your time and selfless contributions. Here are my questions.

1. Please what is the best non-immigrant visa to get permanent stay later on as a single man coming over there.

2. In looking for love and marriage, to settle down, please explain how these factors influence one's chances; african-american, white, PR, citizen and age difference.

3. What challenges would a person who intends to immigrate with a student visa face? How will the person change career (through sch) considering the expired visa?

4. How many years should someone with a non-immigrant visa be ready to sacrifice until one gets the papers?

1. H1B IMHO

2.marrying your kind is always advantageous IMHO
My sincere advice find a Nigerian or African or one with immigrant parents.Less culture shock,you have more in common with them.
having said that,you can find love with anyone.white,African American,Vietnamese and if you find it,go for it.

3.when you come with a student visa.after schooling,there is usually a one year of grace sort of where it is expected that you can take up an employment or internship to practice the skills you learnt before you return home.I know that for postgrad degrees.
If you are lucky to get a job that wants to keep you,they can petition immigration to grant you an H1 visa.
The job has to really want you because an H1 petition goes through a lot,one of them is called labor certification where the job proves that they can't find an American qualified enough with the skills you possess.
I remember all the prayer and fasting my hubby and I did in that period.
They also agree to take up the cost of sending you back home and resettling you,should the job not work out.
That line scares a lot of employers even though in actual fact people don't go pursing that from a former employer.

A shorter route here is if you find a wife,I mean legitimate wife,I don't advocate scam marriages.
You then move from student visa F1 to temporary green card status and can stay legally.

4.some jobs after filing you an H1 make the people sign contracts for a certain number of years before they can help support your green card application.i have a colleague from Israel that signed to work for 3 and half years.some may require more depending on what their policy is or what you negotiate at hire.
You will still bear the cost of application and lawyer costs for filing.

Hope I answered you

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 9:56pm On Oct 13, 2013
Find Out!:
Been following this thread almost since the beginning. i think its time I dropped a comment, particularly on this "Medical field" issue.

Babyosisi, I salute your intentions in creating this thread. i also had issues with Ozoemeka's thread, like you, I felt he was not giving a fair evaluation of conditions in the US, even though he wasn't really presenting any fabrications per se, but doing a great deal of exaggeration. However, I think, even as you try to encourage people, & in the process doing a better job than Ozoemeka in educating people, even the smallest amount of sugarcoating should be avoided.

Ogugua raised some very good points I think any intending immigrant should note carefully. Jobs in the medical field or any other field for that matter are not as available or easy to come by as they were 8 years ago. Anyone in that field can confirm everything she said. This may very well likely positively change in the next few years but for now, it is what it is. Lots of people are in the US already looking for those medical jobs and they havn't gotten them yet. You may get in today and get a medical job, but do not think you'll get it on a platter or that you'll find it "easy". Also, Do not throw away your dreams of becoming an Engineer or an Accountant or a Journalist just because it is "easier to get jobs" in the medical field. You may regret it later. Ask those who have had to retrace their steps later in life, or worse still, those who are still living frustrated lives doing what they have no passion for, are not good at, and still not earning what they thought they would.

Anything is easy if you are prepared to surmount the difficulties around it. And the easiest thing can be difficult for anyone who isn't prepared. That said, even for the very well prepared, studying any course in the MEDICAL FIELD is NOT a piece of cake. For many, it is just the passion that keeps them going. Money is fast becoming a less important motivating factor for nurses especially, because again, after school, jobs are not guaranteed. Medical school is super expensive even for Americans and very very stressful. USMLE no be moin moin. Nursing profession no be beans.

I would also advise any intending immigrant with the intention to "hustle" to seriously think am well. "Hustling" now cant be compared to how it was in the 80s, 90s and even early 2000s. Best bet for anyone is to have educational plans in mind. If you have your bachelors, and especially if you r still in your 20s, study hard for & take the GRE & TOEFL in Nigeria, apply to good schools for your masters, you could be lucky enough to get a Scholarship or Graduate/Teaching Assistantship which could pay most or all of your tuition....which in turn could make it 10 times less difficult for you to obtain your visa. Before you conclude masters, while making job plans, consider a PhD. PhD may not necessarily confine you to Academia, you may still get good jobs in Industry. And then, Academia is not a bad thing too if you like teaching. Also, several PhD programs will pay for your tuition & living expenses...if you take your time to research very well and apply to as many good schools as possible, and if you r lucky enough to get in.

Yorubas would say "The market doesn't have one entrance". Different options are out there. Be prepared to face challenges along the way, and be prepared to deal with them. Above all, money is very important, but it's not everything. Wealth and satisfaction do not always go together.

Thanks for your input
Nobody said the medical field was a piece of cake
I didn't read that from any posters here.

This thread was started in response to the shait I read on another thread
Immigrants are coming into the USA daily and succeeding
That is the whole essence of the thread

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 10:04pm On Oct 13, 2013
For those already established in Nigeria making hundreds of thousands of Naira monthly

I will advise you not to move in a hurry
I wrote that earlier
Take a vacation and come for a visit and see things for yourself before making that move
Don't get a 6 months visa and sell off your property ,quit your job in Nigeria to move to the USA without setting foot here
It could be the most foolish decision you ever made,more so with children.

First of all it will take you at least 5 years or more to get to the comparable financial status you were in Nigeria
And if your kids were already teenagers ,college will be creeping up on you while you are still trying to find your feet.
If you came with DV lottery,it is still a hard decision to make let alone coming with a visitors visa in that situation.

The best time to move is when you are single,just starting off your career,as a single student,young couple with no kids or little kids in the preschool years.man and wife well under 40.
You have years to get stabilized
Above the age of 40,with teenage kids,your transition will be rougher and tougher.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by FindOut(m): 10:10pm On Oct 13, 2013
babyosisi:

Thanks for your input
Nobody said the medical field was a piece of cake
I didn't read that from any posters here.

This thread was started in response to the shait I read on another thread
Immigrants are coming into the USA daily and succeeding
That is the whole essence of the thread

Ok. Actually, that was the impression I kinda got from these posts below. Good you've clarified sha. The beauty of the thread anyway is that any serious intending immigrant will read all posts here and then make informed decisions on his/her own.

babyosisi:

I already wrote that the medical field is the easiest for immigrants to be employed.That is the gospel truth.
Doesn't mean other fields are closed.Every skill is an advantage.
Like I told the other person,make sure u come with an international drivers license since u can use it legally for 6 months
You eventually have to take and pass the driver's test to get the state of Texas drivers license but being able to drive is one big huddle people should sort out before migrating overseas.

babyosisi:

That is one area in high demand
Americans are not meeting up with that demand that was why agencies were recruiting from Africa,the Caribbean and the Philippines
The healthcare field is a vast market and the best paid comparatively so it is a good place for an immigrant to go into and make a decent living.
Don't take my word for it,check it out yourself.

@2nd bolded in 1st post, Very true.

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by seunmatt: 7:26am On Oct 14, 2013
babyosisi:

That amount will not get you anywhere
School fees are very expensive here and the cost higher when you factor in accommodation and upkeep
Do you already have a visa?

Yes, an F1 visa.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 7:40am On Oct 14, 2013
Please @babyosisi, if I came into the US with a visitor visa, can work/hustle with it?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 8:22am On Oct 14, 2013
codebrew85: Please @babyosisi, if I came into the US with a visitor visa, can work/hustle with it?

Why not read the beginning of the thread. Your answers are right there undecided

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by kunlebal(m): 4:44pm On Oct 14, 2013
babyosisi:

Nigerian accounting degree holders with a CPA license do well here (certified public accountant)
In know a few
I think that is similar to ICAN in Nigeria
I know two with their own businesses,getting jobs from govt agencies etc and doing extremely well.
CPAs also get hired by firms and virtually every establishment needs an account executive
Hospitals
Engineering firms
Government jobs
Big law firms
Etc
It is a good field no doubt
With further education here and the examinations to become a CPA you should do well

Thanks sis, i will work on that immediately i touch down in the state. really appreciate your response.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (34) (Reply)

Longest And Most Confusing Pedestran Bridge In Nigeria / 2 people Die As Helicopter Crashes Into Building in Opebi / How Much Does It Cost To Travel By Road From Lagos To Ghana?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 183
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.