Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,527 members, 7,812,638 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:40 PM

Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach (5592 Views)

Does Satan Really Exist? / Hell Fire Does Not Exist According To Jehovah's Witnesses. Is That True? / Do Aliens and Vampires Really Exist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by haibe(m): 2:44pm On Oct 05, 2013
They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. He said to them, "Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have." (Luke 24:37-39)

Do this verses really teach that ghosts exist?

@ravgach and @itsfact have concluded that this verses teach that ghosts do exist, their reason being that since Jesus said to his disciples that ; a ghost does not have flesh and bones' it then means ghosts actually exist.

I countered this argument saying ghosts do not exist since the bible has made known to us the state of the dead and that Jesus was not saying ghost existed but was only using the disciples believe of ghosts to prove that he was not who they think he is, a ghost.

@itsfact also went on to conclude that since saul saw the ghost of samuel at the consultation of the wizard of endor, it means ghosts actually exist.

I countered this argument by saying, God had forbided the consultation of familiar spirit and thus what saul saw was not actually samuel but perhaps a demon posing as samuel or that the wizard of endor only made saul experience an illusion of seeing samuel.

Yet this two have retained their position on the existence of ghosts and so contradicting many verses in the bible.

They both said its the word of Jesus and so it means ghosts exist.

To you all, does the bible really support the existence of ghosts?? any scriptural prove will be appreciated, thanks.
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by Nobody: 2:54pm On Oct 05, 2013
Yes ghost exists,I dey fight with them well well.
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by haibe(m): 2:57pm On Oct 05, 2013
lynpetra: Yes ghost exists,I dey fight with them well well.

Wow really? Scriptural backings please.
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by Nobody: 3:07pm On Oct 05, 2013
lynpetra: Yes ghost exists,I dey fight with them well well.
ong! U need me more in ur dreams then
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by yemisolar(m): 3:18pm On Oct 05, 2013
First i have to ask you to clarify what you mean by ghost: does it mean just spirits (such as demons and angels) or souls of dead men?

The bible makes us they both exist. Only that the former are free to 'walk around' while the latter are confined to either heaven or hell at death-until they pick up their immortal bodies after rapture or white throne judgement respectively. It was this body that Jesus had at ressurection.

The jews just like most oriental religions believe in the existence of disenbodied biengs which Jesus did not deny their existence in his explanation. Remember the same thing happened when he walked on water and the desciples thought he was a ghost and he did not rebuke them for believing in ghosts but for their fear of ghosts.

Secondly, in the case of samuel: what nicromansers do is to acess the familiar spirit (demon) that walked with the dead and has all the information about him. It is this demon that speaks with their voice and give accurate information about them. But in the case of samuel, what the witch of endor saw was actually the real person hence her terrific cry that it had to be saul because what she was seeing was not one of her usual 'customers'.

Thirdly, do you believe that there is a spiritual world. If you do then who are those active in that world?

Finally, the HOly Spirit is also called Holy Ghost in some scriptures. So if you believe He exists, then you have to believe that ghosts exist.

1 Like

Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by haibe(m): 3:23pm On Oct 05, 2013
ghost (g st)
n.
1. The spirit of a dead person, especially
one believed to appear in bodily likeness to
living persons or to haunt former habitats.

@yemi solar, the above is the defination of ghost we are talking about, spirit beings exist no doubt, God is a spirit, angels and demons are spirits, we are talking of ghosts now, dead person interracting with the living

Read into the context of the passage quoted from luke 24:37-39 @the OP, that is the ghosts we are talking about.
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by yemisolar(m): 3:38pm On Oct 05, 2013
haibe: ghost (g st)
n.
1. The spirit of a dead person, especially
one believed to appear in bodily likeness to
living persons or to haunt former habitats.

@yemi solar, the above is the defination of ghost we are talking about, spirit beings exist no doubt, God is a spirit, angels and demons are spirits, we are talking of ghosts now, dead person interracting with the living

Read into the context of the passage quoted from luke 24:37-39 @the OP, that is the ghosts we are talking about.

given your definition, i must say they exist but are not free to interact with the living (friend or foe). They are too preoccupied with their their translated state -good or bad- than to start pursuing people. We do not have scriptures to show that they do. All we have are people's 'experiences' which if true are perpetrated by familiar spirits.
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by haibe(m): 3:44pm On Oct 05, 2013
yemi solar:

given your definition, i must say they exist but are not free to interact with the living (friend or foe). They are too preoccupied with their their translated state -good or bad- than to start pursuing people. We do not have scriptures to show that they do. All we have are people's 'experiences' which if true are perpetrated by familiar spirits.

If you do not have scriptures to show that they do, then no problem, and your explanation is not consistent with the definition of ghost given.
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by pweetixandy: 4:00pm On Oct 05, 2013
ghosts eXist. ..only dead people affiliated to the devil have their spirits roam about after death undecided
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by haibe(m): 4:26pm On Oct 05, 2013
pweetixandy: ghosts eXist. ..only dead people affiliated to the devil have their spirits roam about after death undecided

So you mean a dead person can actually appear to you? Scriptural backings please.
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by Itsfacts: 4:43pm On Oct 05, 2013
Haibe they told you it exist. You your self confirm by quoting 1st Samuel for me later said ghost don't exist after you quote it. Jesus describe ghost. Some one has said it depends on how you define it. If your definition is that ghost are spooky etc then the term holy ghost is wrong. Spirit can be spooky also that's why i said the words are same in meaning. The bible talks about unclean spirits and i have made it know that holy demon or holy devil cannot be correct. If ghost is always painted as a bad or negative thing then holy ghost is negative.

people say they see ghost today. Does ghost exist? Yes they do. Are they people that are dead? I have always told you know that the ghost or spirits people see are most likely demons. I don't know why you are still arguing. Ghost exist.

if ghost or spirit don't exist then Jesus wont describe what ghost is by saying they don't have flesh and bones. He will say such things don't exist.
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by haibe(m): 4:49pm On Oct 05, 2013
Itsfacts:
people say they see ghost today. Does ghost exist? Yes they do. Are they people that are dead? I have always told you know that the ghost or spirits people see are most likely demons. I don't know why you are still arguing. Ghost exist. .

If they are most likely demons posing as the dead, are they really the dead?
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by haibe(m): 4:55pm On Oct 05, 2013
Itsfacts: Haibe they told you it exist. You your self confirm by quoting 1st Samuel for me later said ghost don't exist after you quote it. Jesus describe ghost. Some one has said it depends on how you define it. If your definition is that ghost are spooky etc then the term holy ghost is wrong. Spirit can be spooky also that's why i said the words are same in meaning.

I have defined the word ghost as used in modern term several times but you seem to still be holding on to the archaic meaning of ghost, the term holy ghost is an archaic word for holy spirit, the Spirit of God is not a ghost, ghosts are the supposed dead that appear to the living.

The term holy ghost was used because it was very similar with holy spirit in early english, in order words ghost and spirit was used interchangeably in archaic english, but now the word ghost and spirit are quite different.

God is a spirit, angels and demons are spirits, they are not ghosts, the existence of ghosts is mythical, a demon can pose as a dead person and appear to you but that doesn't make him that person.
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by haibe(m): 4:58pm On Oct 05, 2013
Itsfacts: The bible talks about unclean spirits and i have made it know that holy demon or holy devil cannot be correct.

Unclean spirits are not ghosts, they are living spiritual beings on their own.

Who is talking about holy demon? What concerns me with that?
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by haibe(m): 5:00pm On Oct 05, 2013
Itsfacts:
if ghost don't exist then Jesus wont describe what ghost is by saying they don't have flesh and bones. He will say such things don't exist.

If i describe a zombie according to people's superstitious description of it, does that mean zombies exist?
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by Itsfacts: 5:01pm On Oct 05, 2013
haibe:

If they are most likely demons posing as the dead, are they really the dead?

again you don't seem to get the point isn't it. Would you agree with jman that Jesus become a ghost? Since he said he became a spirit and his body was dispose by God.

the bible says demons can take several forms and the thing you call ghost are unclean spirits taking the form of dead people.

you try to differ ghost and spirit yet you want people who are dead to come back before you agree that ghost exist but that is not the point. The point is ghost or spirit of people who are dead are almost always demons.

bible you quote call ghost in Samuel example. Why it uses ghost? Because it is an unclean spirit. Some uses spirit which is right? Both are right. The one that uses ghost will give the notion that the spirit is not genuine and yes Saul talked to a ghost(demon) and not Samuel.

try to think why will the bible use ghost for Samuel or disciples encounter if it does not exist. Why didn't Jesus tell them that ghost don't exist, twice.
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by Itsfacts: 5:03pm On Oct 05, 2013
haibe:

If i describe a zombie according to people's superstitious description of it, does that mean zombies exist?

if you describe it and it doesn't exist you are adding to the lie. Are you saying Jesus added to the lie?

parent lie to their children of tooth fairy, Santa clause, do you think if you say i thought i saw a tooth fairy i wont say you are mad that tooth fairy don't exist?
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by haibe(m): 5:07pm On Oct 05, 2013
Itsfacts:

try to think why will the bible use ghost for Samuel or disciples encounter if it does not exist. Why didn't Jesus tell them that ghost don't exist, twice.

The bible didn't use the word "ghost" for samuel, the bible said "saul perceived it was samuel", so it wasn't infact samuel.

My question is how do you know Jesus did not later tell them that no dead man can actually appear to the living? Or that ghosts don't exist? Do you think it is every single thing that is recorded in the bible?
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by haibe(m): 5:10pm On Oct 05, 2013
Itsfacts:

if you describe it and it doesn't exist you are adding to the lie. Are you saying Jesus added to the lie?

parent lie to their children of tooth fairy, Santa clause, do you think if you say i thought i saw a tooth fairy i wont say you are mad that tooth fairy don't exist?

They did not see the existence of ghosts as a lie, they saw it as true, and Jesus made them know he wasn't the kind of person they think he is, he wasn't that ghost they believe in that appears to the living, the idea people had of ghosts is what He used to describe ghost, he wasn't saying ghosts actually exist.
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by haibe(m): 5:14pm On Oct 05, 2013
Itsfacts:
The point is ghost or spirit of people who are dead are almost always demons.

This is contradictory, they can't be ghosts and demons at the same time.

If you say ghosts exist, it means those dead people appearing are not demons but the real dead person.

If you say they are demons posing as the dead, it mean they are not actually ghosts and thus ghosts don't exist.

The both are mutually exclusive, they can't be the ghost of the dead and demons at the same time, get it?

1 Like

Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by Itsfacts: 5:40pm On Oct 05, 2013
haibe:

The bible didn't use the word "ghost" for samuel, the bible said "saul perceived it was samuel", so it wasn't infact samuel.

My question is how do you know Jesus did not later tell them that no dead man can actually appear to the living? Or that ghosts don't exist? Do you think it is every single thing that is recorded in the bible?

i don't like assumption like this. Why didn't he tell them the first time?

just take it as you see it. If you want to say how do we know that this or that happen in the bible then every possible assumption may come up.

i believe when we die we go to God. I believe a dead person cannot appear.
they thought they saw a spirit i believe that their are spirits mimicking dead people moving about. You can call them ghost or what ever you like.

i believe our spirit that goes to God will come back to our body again. That spirit and the body makes the soul.

yet the bible distinguish all 3 body soul and spirit.
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by Itsfacts: 5:45pm On Oct 05, 2013
haibe:

If you say ghosts exist, it means those dead people appearing are not demons but the real dead person.

If you say they are demons posing as the dead, it mean they are not actually ghosts and thus ghosts don't exist.

The both are mutually exclusive, they can be the ghost of the dead and demons at the same time, get it?

are demons spirits? Yes then what are you arguing?
demons posing as your love one = ghost. Demon posing as your love one = spirit.
is the spirit clean? No.

Saul console spirit medium. The work of a spirit medium is to consult the spirit of the dead. Samuel spirit which is not Samuel but demon was communicating with him. Saul was talking to a ghost or a spirit simple.
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by haibe(m): 6:00pm On Oct 05, 2013
Itsfacts:

Saul console spirit medium. The work of a spirit medium is to consult the spirit of the dead. Samuel spirit which is not Samuel but demon was communicating with him. Saul was talking to a ghost or a spirit simple.

This is the problem i have with you, saul didn't perceive the ghost of samuel but a demon(evil spirit) impersonated samuel., infact saul wasn't even sure it was samuel, it was what the witch told him he based on, he presumed it was samuel.

You are still mixing the word ghost and spirit.

The bible says "God is a spirit"

Can we say God is a 'ghost' ??
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by haibe(m): 6:15pm On Oct 05, 2013
Itsfacts:

demons posing as your love one = ghost.

Can you prove from the bible that demons=ghosts ?
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by JamesOlushola(m): 6:32pm On Oct 05, 2013
[color=#770077][/color]
As it is prescribe by d bible, there is pure difference BTW a ghost or spirit and a demon.
Note: I said ghost or spirit and demon
Reason is that ghost is thesame as spirit but where u refer to demon ,then, u r sure of it being an evil spirit but while its a ghost or spirit, it can either be an evil one or the good one.
Back to d topic; if someone is being called back 4rm the dead that is pure spiritism and what appears to u is not d person but an evil spirit posing to b. Even God forbids it (Isaiah 8:19,20 Leviticus19:31)
Fortune tellings is aid by Demons i.e evil spirit check Acts 16:16-18 for more details on demon
The other spirit is the Holy spirit that forsure comes 4rm God, check Acts 2:2-3 and vs 33 of thesame chapter, John 14:17 for now, reply if not satisfied and specify. To God be d Glory
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by haibe(m): 7:58pm On Oct 05, 2013
James Olushola: [color=#770077][/color]
As it is prescribe by d bible, there is pure difference BTW a ghost or spirit and a demon.

Yes ghost and spirit were similar as used in the kjv or in early english but its quite different in modern day english, language is dynamic you know?

Is God a ghost?, can you go to church and say "the ghost of God is here"? Or "spirit of God is here"

Obviously you would be confusing a lot of people by using "the ghost of God" because the word ghost is quite different from spirit in modern day english, in the kjv which was written in archaic english, ghost and spirit were similar and so they were used interchangeably but in the niv, nlt, etc, they are used differently because the word ghost is no more synonymous with spirit anymore like in the archaic english which the kjv was translated.

Using modern day words: God is not a ghost, he is a spirit, spirits can either be evil(eg demons) or good(eg angels), the existence of ghosts(dead appearing to the living) is a mythology, the dead do not interract with the living, demons can just pose as the dead.

Do you get the difference now in modern day english? Unlike archaic english like kjv.
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by Itsfacts: 8:02pm On Oct 05, 2013
haibe:

The both are mutually exclusive, they can be the ghost of the dead and demons at the same time, get it?

haibe everyone is saying same thing i am telling you and you keep arguing with everyone.
i don't understand you again
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by haibe(m): 8:06pm On Oct 05, 2013
Itsfacts:

haibe everyone is saying same thing i am telling you and you keep arguing with everyone.

Please:

1) What is a ghost?

2) What is a spirit?

3) Is God a ghost?

4) Are angels ghosts?

5) Does man have a ghost in him?
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by haibe(m): 8:25pm On Oct 05, 2013
Itsfacts:

Jesus said he wasn't a ghost.

What is your definition of the ghost as used in this context?
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by Itsfacts: 8:35pm On Oct 05, 2013
haibe:

Jesus said he wasn't a ghost.

What is your definition of the ghost as used in this context?

try to understand that spirit can still be what ghost is. anyone you use can address same issues. bible talks about unclean spirits. I dont like using ghost because it may cause confusion based on how it is used today.

my problems is that you are not consistent with your agument.
haibe: They thought they saw spirit(ghost) doesn't mean spirits exist.

Saul saw samuel's ghost doesn't mean it was actually samuel.

We have wizard here and there who help to invoke the dead to speak with the living, demons can deceive human beings to think they are their relatives but that doesn't mean they are actually their relatives.

The belief of ghosts have been in place even till today, the disciples lived in an environment where people believed in ghosts and so when they saw someone who was dead face to face, the first thought that would come to them is that this is a ghost according to the belief system, and so Jesus told them he wasn't a ghost like they think, simple.

So ghosts do not actually exist, devil can only make someone feel he is seeing a dead relative of his but he is actually dead in the grave.

the bold is what i am telling you. a demon can pose as your love one and appear to you. when that situation happens you are seeing a ghost. simple you used samuel as an example. later you deny saul saw a ghost but now you are using perceive. but the bible says he went to a spirit medium what are the work of a spirit medium? is it not to invoke the dead so people can communicate with them?

get you point out and stand by it. dont change it.
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by haibe(m): 8:45pm On Oct 05, 2013
1 Sam 28:13 And the king said unto her,
Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And
the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods
ascending out of the earth.
1 Sam 28:14 And he said unto her, What
form is he of? And she said, An old man
cometh up; and he is covered with a
mantle. And Saul perceived that it was
Samuel, and he stooped with his face to
the ground, and bowed himself.

Can you see saul wasn't even sure that it was samuel, he only perceived it was samuel since the witch described what she saw like samuel.
Re: Do Ghosts Really Exist According To The Bible? @itsfact And @ravgach by Nobody: 9:46pm On Oct 05, 2013
Itsfacts:

again you don't seem to get the point isn't it. Would you agree with jman that Jesus become a ghost? Since he said he became a spirit and his body was dispose by God.

the bible says demons can take several forms and the thing you call ghost are unclean spirits taking the form of dead people.

you try to differ ghost and spirit yet you want people who are dead to come back before you agree that ghost exist but that is not the point. The point is ghost or spirit of people who are dead are almost always demons.

bible you quote call ghost in Samuel example. Why it uses ghost? Because it is an unclean spirit. Some uses spirit which is right? Both are right. The one that uses ghost will give the notion that the spirit is not genuine and yes Saul talked to a ghost(demon) and not Samuel.

what is the meaning of the bolded? when did I say such a thing?

Jesus wasnt a disembodied soul or spirit (ghost), but he was resurrected as a spirit person.

what haibe mean i think is that ghost doesnt exist but apparition does.

I dont see any reason argue it. you ve already agreed to that truth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pastors Top Wisdom Quotes. / GSA Redefined!!! Born Again Christians And Singles Come In / Conversation Between Apastor And Awisechild:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.