Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,108 members, 7,828,897 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? (1994 Views)

LADIES! What Job Or Profession Of A Man Can Make You Not Date Or Marry Him?? / Photos: Guys Can You Date This Beatiful Damsel? / Can U Date Or Marry An Albino? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 8:58pm On Oct 06, 2013
I'd like to believe that there are some very good atheists, even better than some so-called Christians. Their only flaw would be their unbelief. It's not like they are perfect if you decide to ignore their unbelief, but you are willing to overlook other imperfections.

Now, the Bible said we should not make friends with unbelievers not to talk of even getting married to them. I asked some people and they are willing to damn the consequences and marry atheists. I must say they are extremely open-minded.

Are you that open-minded? What if you are crazily in love, can you go ahead with the marriage? Are you willing to damn the consequences? Can you date or marry an atheist?

Your views are needed.
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Vivly(f): 9:16pm On Oct 06, 2013
First off, dating involves mutual understanding. People's beliefs and opinions are key factors that attract one to another. At first, it might be easy to ignore all views and focus on physical factors.. It might be very easy for a teenager to fall stupidly in love without considering religious affiliations. But for a grown up like me, it aint gonna be easy. They must always be a point of conflict.
What happens when I want to use one tenth of my salary for tithe.
What if I want a church wedding?
What if I'm a fanatist.
What if he's a fanatic atheist?
What happens when i refuse to eat cuz I'm fasting. If we eventually get married, what happens to our children. Do we baptize them in church or just let them be. An atheist no matter how loving must surely get irritated by my beliefs. Why should I ignore reality in the name of love? One bible verse also comes to mind 'Do not be unequally yoked with an unbeliever. As a christian, why should i damn the consequence? There might be a common ground for atheists and christians, but I think the differences far outweigh them.
All said, I can't marry an unbeliever. Just my 2cowries

6 Likes

Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Oct 06, 2013
Vivly: First off, dating involves mutual understanding. At first, it might be easy to ignore all differences. It might be very easy for a teenager to fall stupidly in love without considering religious affiliations. But for a grown up like me, it aint gonna be easy. They must always be a point of conflict.
What if I'm a fanatist.
What happens when i refuse to eat cuz I'm fasting. If we eventually get married, what happens to our children. Do we baptize them in church or just let them be. An atheist no matter how loving must surely get irritated by my beliefs. Why should I ignore reality in the name of love? One bible verse also comes to mind 'Do not be unequally yoked with an unbeliever.
All said, I can't marry an unbeliever.
Hmmmm...Nice points. cool
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Oct 06, 2013
I can be friends with atheists and agnostics, but I will never marry one.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 9:32pm On Oct 06, 2013
I can.

1 Like

Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Deiok(m): 9:45pm On Oct 06, 2013
Vivly: First off, dating involves mutual understanding. People's beliefs and opinions are key factors that attract one to another. At first, it might be easy to ignore all views and focus on physical factors.. It might be very easy for a teenager to fall stupidly in love without considering religious affiliations. But for a grown up like me, it aint gonna be easy. They must always be a point of conflict.
What if I'm a fanatist.
What happens when i refuse to eat cuz I'm fasting. If we eventually get married, what happens to our children. Do we baptize them in church or just let them be. An atheist no matter how loving must surely get irritated by my beliefs. Why should I ignore reality in the name of love? One bible verse also comes to mind 'Do not be unequally yoked with an unbeliever. As a christian, why should i damn the consequence? There might be a common ground for atheists and christians, but I think the differences far outweigh them.
All said, I can't marry an unbeliever. Just my 2cowries
100 likes
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by clixa: 9:53pm On Oct 06, 2013
for one who is not an atheist to marry or date an atheist is not advisable. The love they share might be cool and sweet at start but as time goes on, they both start seeing things in a different ways because of their beliefs and when such happens there will problems and misunderstandin in the marriage which wil also affect their children and people who are close to them.
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by clixa: 9:54pm On Oct 06, 2013
Love is wicked and hurtful if one doesn't control his/her feelings towards something
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by mumumugu(m): 9:59pm On Oct 06, 2013
I will. Bible calls them fool
Just imagine mumu weds fool
how romantic?

2 Likes

Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Oct 06, 2013
To the rest I say (I, not the Lord) that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called you to peace. For how do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

1 Corinthians 7:12-16

1 Like

Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Oct 06, 2013
mumumugu: I will. Bible calls them fool
Just imagine mumu weds fool
how romantic?
gringrin
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by AbuMikey(m): 10:51pm On Oct 06, 2013
Mehn,na to stick to the church when I dey go o,Or concentrate for the Monastery when I dey go lipsrsealed,cos the way babes dislike Atheist,if I loose guard for here,all this babe fit dey run from me? undecided
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Sard(m): 10:56pm On Oct 06, 2013
carefreewannabe: To the rest I say (I, not the Lord) that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called you to peace. For how do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

1 Corinthians 7:12-16
sorry for quoting the whole post. The verse is actually meant for married people in which either of the husband or wife change his or her religious belief. e.g may be the the wife converts to Christianity or the husband looses faith in religion. In that case, in the best interest of the person and children(if involved), the person may decide to stay. Divorce was emphasised in the passage but do unmarried people divorce? I think the best answer to this thread has been given by @vivly.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Oct 06, 2013
Abu Mikey: Mehn,na to stick to the church when I dey go o,Or concentrate for the Monastery when I dey go lipsrsealed,cos the way babes dislike Atheist,if I loose guard for here,all this babe fit dey run from me? undecided
Lol! gringrin
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by homesteady(m): 11:15pm On Oct 06, 2013
Sorry! I can't!
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Reincarnated(m): 11:18pm On Oct 06, 2013
NO
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by AbuMikey(m): 11:18pm On Oct 06, 2013
Baybe: Lol! gringrin
cool
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 11:27pm On Oct 06, 2013
homesteady: Sorry! I can't!
Why are you sorry? undecidedundecided
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Dsage1: 11:35pm On Oct 06, 2013
It's only on faceless forums I see people claming they're Athiests. In real life or let me say in Nigeria, everyone hides under a particular religion. Nigeria Atheists are notting but a bunch of hypocrites, they actually comforms to the societal norms(partially or totally).

4 Likes

Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 11:38pm On Oct 06, 2013
D sage: It's only on faceless forums I see people claming they're Athiests. In real life or let me say in Nigeria, everyone hides under a particular religion. Nigeria Atheists are notting but a bunch of hypocrites, they actually comforms to the societal norms(partially or totally).
Same here
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 11:46pm On Oct 06, 2013
His belief or orientation shouldnt be an obstruction smiley

We already have common interest we have built on for the best and others we are managin with, why spoil it because of atheism?

Besides, I can learn a thing or two from him smiley
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Enegod(m): 12:18am On Oct 07, 2013
Until they have kids......and momma
takes them to church and the kids want
to tell daddy about God ......
and daddy says there is no God!!!!!!
smh
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by pazienza(m): 12:36am On Oct 07, 2013
Baybe: Same here

Not true.
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by danchuzzy(m): 12:46am On Oct 07, 2013
Baybe: Why are you sorry? undecidedundecided
me self ah tire o
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by homesteady(m): 12:53am On Oct 07, 2013
Baybe: Why are you sorry? undecidedundecided

I added it just to make my answer more polite undecided
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by homesteady(m): 12:54am On Oct 07, 2013
danchuzzy:
me self ah tire o

undecided
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 7:04am On Oct 07, 2013
homesteady:

undecided
grin
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 7:07am On Oct 07, 2013
pazienza:

Not true.
undecided Which one is not true? That I've not seen any atheist outside NL or what?
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by spongeisback: 3:42pm On Oct 07, 2013
See queshion oh!
Btw your a baybe ask me later grin
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Oct 07, 2013
spongeisback: See queshion oh!
Btw your a baybe ask me later grin
undecided
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by EvilBrain1(m): 11:40pm On Oct 07, 2013
Someone please explain to me how being an atheist is a flaw. So because a guy won't believe the ridiculous fairytales our former slavemasters imposed on our forefathers without proof, you think there is something wrong with him?

I suppose you want to marry someone who believes every búllshit story told to him without question. Is being a mugu now an attractive quality or what? Someone should please explain.

3 Likes

Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Mynd44: 5:18am On Oct 08, 2013
I probably will sef. It will make my life a lot more easier since I will know what she is and what to expect instead of these wolves in sheep clothing we have running around

(1) (2) (Reply)

Guys Can You Date A Feminist? / 56 Facts About Women / Just A Question Pls...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.