Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,798 members, 7,810,075 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:08 PM

Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? (58315 Views)

Poll: You'd vote for:

UNILAG: 25% (101 votes)
OAU Ife: 51% (206 votes)
UI: 23% (94 votes)
This poll has ended

OAU-Ife Students Fetch Water From Stream (Pictures) / Man Beaten For Molesting OAU-Ife Student / . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by LAKANYE(m): 8:08pm On Jul 02, 2008
THIS IS A GOOD TOPIC FOR ONLY THE ELITE MEMBERS OF NAIRALAND. Simple critarias, but confusing to the DUMB/(are they also STUPID? sorry) ones.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by edmondo(m): 8:30pm On Jul 02, 2008
i think skool have nothing to do here,its all about individual thing
i have seen a product a of unilag that you would doubt if he is really a graduate.
fellow nairalander,its not about but about the stuff that you are made off.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by lionphil(m): 8:42pm On Jul 02, 2008
i attended ife u may say i am biased but bone runs ife ist the bomb only african university (oba awon university) OAU
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by vassilli(m): 9:09pm On Jul 02, 2008
Na wa o
d 3 universities r living on past glory
i dey presently run 1 programme for Ife
Ife na d sch wey i don go wey Lecturer dey use Yoruba teach, !
e go spk english to an extent wen d grammar don hook am e go turn to yoruba
this programme wey i dey talk na advanced prog o
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by Jeezy: 9:48pm On Jul 02, 2008
abeg una dey make my head swell joooo!!!!!!!!Thanks for the public opinion on Ife guys.Makes me feel proud to be an alumnus of Greateeeeeeeeest Ife!
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by Robotnik: 9:53pm On Jul 02, 2008
To be Frank these 3 universities have nothing to boast about, I think private schools will soon take over they have more serious students and face their studies more , UI, OAU  etc are too chaotic , always disturbing national peace and churning out prostitutes.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by LAKANYE(m): 12:30am On Jul 03, 2008
edmondo:

i think school have nothing to do here,its all about individual thing
i have seen a product a of unilag that you would doubt if he is really a graduate.

YUP, IF THE DUDE STUDIED "YORUBA", "BASIC ECONOMICS" OR "PHYSICAL EDUCATION, OR ANY OF THOSE JEKUREDU COURSES FOR SEVEN YEARS BEFORE HE GRADUATED WITH A "JUST GET OUT CLASS OR A PASS FOR ATTENDANCE"
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by Nobody: 8:39am On Jul 03, 2008
edmondo:

i think school have nothing to do here,its all about individual thing

Are you saying after spending 5 years in the university,the school will not add any value to you?

Haba,I disagree. Your in-built stuff surely matters,but that is not to say the school will not add any value to you,no matter how small throughout your stay there.

This value-adding comes in two ways:
1,DIRECT VALUE: What you learn in classroom. Your core academics(tutorials,assignments,research etc)
2,INDIRECT VALUE:What you learn by interacting with other students.(debates/arguments in hostels,interactions with others,campus/departmental politics,mere following events on campus,reading releases,religious/social activities etc)

So it is the combination of these VALUE ADDING/LEARNING processes that makes a school,and schools differ here.

I finished from Ife for instance,and I must say what I learned thru the second(INDIRECT) source helps me more than what I learnt in classroom.

But no matter how small,one will surely learn something positive during his stay in school.

There is also the issue of potential. You may have the stuff in-built(potential) in you,but the school may not offer you a great ground to show and develop the stuff you are made of. For example,if OAU student unionism had not been vibrant,maybe Femi Falana would not have been able to maximize his potential. A school can make/break your potential.

All said,I'll say while your stuff is very important, school surely helps you develop and improve that stuff. But the degree of POTENTIAL/STUFF POLISHING varies from school to school,and this is the basis for saying one school is better than the other.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by Nobody: 8:47am On Jul 03, 2008
vassilli:

Na wa o
d 3 universities r living on past glory
i dey presently run 1 programme for Ife
Ife na d sch wey i don go wey Lecturer dey use Yoruba teach, !
e go spk english to an extent when d grammar don hook am e go turn to yoruba
this programme wey i dey talk na advanced prog o

And so therefore, every university has one or two lecturers like that!!!
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by modupsie(f): 9:01am On Jul 03, 2008
Can't help but laugh at d babcock guy.
finished from unilag but not allowed to make comments.
proudly akokite cheesy
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by ib1mail: 9:04am On Jul 03, 2008
Luiz Felipe Scolari will become the second highest paid manager in the world when he takes over the Chelsea hotseat on July 1st. He has signed a contract for £22million over four years, whereas his predecessor Jose Mourinho will take home £7million a year at Inter Milan.

The highest paid presently in the Premiership is Arsene Wenger who earns £4.5million at the moment.

UP GUNNERS
cheesy
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by fyneguy: 9:12am On Jul 03, 2008
lol

Thou shall not judge a product by it's container n label but its content

Thou shall not judge a uni by its structure but by its facilities and quality of programmes.

OAU may have the gigantic structures bequeathed to it by the great Awolowo, however UI is all about quality of programes!

I said it before and I'll say it again: UItes no dey make noise like Ife guys dey do.

You wont see many Uites here voting but the fact remains: UI and others
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by Nobody: 9:44am On Jul 03, 2008
***reads thread, shakes head and mutters "omode o m'ogun o npe l'efo"***

Let me consult Ifa, Ifa Olokun a soro d'ayo
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by crazylegs(m): 10:00am On Jul 03, 2008
fyneguy:

lol

Thou shall not judge a product by it's container n label but its content

Thou shall not judge a uni by its structure but by its facilities and quality of programmes.

OAU may have the gigantic structures bequeathed to it by the great Awolowo, however UI is all about quality of programes!

I said it before and I'll say it again: UItes no dey make noise like Ife guys dey do.

You wont see many Uites here voting but the fact remains: UI and others

Thank you my brother. I think the number of votes cast reflects the degree of joblessness of the respective graduates grin
Maybe Ife grads spend all their time browsing undecided while UItes are working hard and changing things grin

UI is quality.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by gidig(m): 10:08am On Jul 03, 2008
Once I saw the thread, I remembered our days in the University and arguments with UI students about which was better. UNILAG
was never in the picture because there was an unwritten rule and the assumption that they were not a very serious school and that their
relevance was only because the school is in Nigeria's commercial capital.

Ife is more than a school; it is a culture. Once you are an Ife product, you are bonded with every other Ife person irrespective of social
status and achievements. It was something that stood us out while in NYSC camp in 98 and it is always happening in workplaces
all over Nigeria where people stumble on each other. You could meet a great Ife product in the banking hall in Birnin Kebbi and he or she
is obliged by the culture of the school you went to to help in whatever way he can.

We are not unmindful of the educational challenges that all universities face in Nigeria but Ife products are conditioned to be the best at whatever they are
doing. It is soemthing that is drummed into your ears once you get in. This is Ife. They put a burden on you that you excel at what you do.
Ife nurtures people from everywhere and molds them into a loyal force. Among other things, that is what made Ife great- to put guts in a man
and that cannot be taught on the pages of a book. I have friends fro the University all over the world and the great Ife tradition is still there.

I can list the number of firsts but then, it will be as if we are bloating again. UI is a great school too but as someone said, the vision is different.
The founders of Ife wanted to build one of the greatest universities in the world, not just a regional college as it was common then. That vision has driven the Ife
development even in the face of challenges.

The 'Great this Great that' that universities shout all over the place was started by Ife in the year they won the NUGA and West Africa Universitiues game.
That is why the alumni sticker reads great Ife. nothing else. It is the history baby. As for UNILAG people, they will continue to live under the shadows of these
two other schools because they do not have any heritage whatsoever. It is just a University in the City!

In 98, when lag hosted the NUGA games, it was so much fun 'oppressing' them in their school. Ife sings the old Nigerian Anthem at school occassions, no matter what or who the
guest is followed by our school Anthem. when Ife graduates marry, we sing the school Anthem. We love our school and the experience of going there.
I wont exchange that for anywhere else. As a second choice, I 'd choose UI. They are aso focused on education too. UNILAG students are too distracted and
they dont have any school culture. The tragedy is that, they dont even realise it.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by Nobody: 10:16am On Jul 03, 2008
Hmmm….this is deep!

If there was nairaland in the 50s and 60s and this question came up, the answer is clear, UI. If it was in the 70s and 80s, no doubt answer is OAU. But for goodness sake this is 2008! For personal reasons, I will like to leave UI out of this and face OAU squarely…the real deal is not Unilag vs OAUvs UI, it is actually Unilag vs OAU.

Let’s walk down the memory lane to have a clearer understanding of the issue. We will forever be grateful to visionary leaders like Awolowo and co who knew that knowledge is power and decided to empower the people. How else would you describe a government that built three great universities within the same year, Unilag, OAU and UNIBEN all in 1962!

Unilag came first and was to be in the mould of University of London system…the concept of having a big university in the city. The regional government as at then realised that the majority of the population lived in the countryside and villages far away from Lagos and therefore decided to build OAU and Uniben… OAU to cater for people within manageable distance from IFE (Ife being central and ancestral in the Southwest) and UNIBEN (within distance for people living in the defunct Bendel and may be Ondo)

It is not surprising that these schools (OAU and BEN) embarked on a tribal route since it is populated with people from Ibadan, oyo, ife, Akure, Egba, Ijebu etc and Benin, Etsako, Ondo, Ijaw, Itsekiri, Isoko, Urhobo etc respectively.

OAU since then been a core Yoruba school that has refused to grow up and meet the current demands of the country. (Same can be said of BEN and UNN)

UNiLag on the hand was to become the school for the rich. This was because cocoa farmers and other people who could raise the money would rather send their kids to Lagos…a journey that costs a fortune back in the days. These kids come back home during vacations to tell their friends in the village how beautiful it is to live and study in the City and Lagos became every”Ife” dream.

That was back in the days…,

Watch out for the concluding part of this…, Gotta go back to Ifa….Ifa Olokun a s’oro d’ayo

2 Likes

Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by spikedcylinder: 10:33am On Jul 03, 2008
@ ife-eco-06
Seeing as we both studied econs. . . .I wanna ask, who was ur best lecturer there? I loathed EXPY with a passion, in fact, if i see him now, i can give him a gun shot in his temple but i must say that he was a bloody good teacher. In my opinion, he did ECN 201 justice.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by ofurufu(m): 10:45am On Jul 03, 2008
Babalaw0:

***reads thread, shakes head and mutters "omode o m'ogun o npe l'efo"***

Let me consult Ifa, Ifa Olokun a soro d'ayo

Your first post on Nairaland,you are advertising your Ifa. Na ifa you come do for Nairaland
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by Nobody: 10:52am On Jul 03, 2008
there are some facts that are not arguable.among all these schools, O.A.U is simply the best.U.I is a bit ok, but UNILAG is far from being one of the best.dont ask for the parameters i used,but for me, it's O.A.U any day.    UNILAG? most of their graduates are beauties and dudes without brains.they are mostly immature, always thinking about frivolities such as clothes, jewelries, cars,phones, parties, etc. check them out, they are mostly mumies' boys and dadies' pets.they are mostly dependent on people to do things for them.UNILAG graduates, cruxify me if you like but this is coming from my wealth of experience.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by tkb417(m): 10:54am On Jul 03, 2008
@Spikedcylinder
i studied econs too
loved Dr.Olomola, Prof Fabro, The development econs lecturer.
Experience was a little lecturer then so he didnt teach us.

the one i dislike most is Dr.Abiola. that guy has got plenty attitude.

@Crazylegs and fyneguy
make una go siddon; if den no vote, una go say den no get internet access . now na joblessness dey worry dem
shey na una under-employment with fidelitybank be work?
ill rather sleep than work with skye dem fidelity
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by eminemkayc: 11:21am On Jul 03, 2008
oh my GOD what kind of person is this? is it that you are a retard or an slowpoke that it is difficult to understand what the topic is about and not test format? You are an embarrassment to your school that is if you even went to school at all.
DUDE YOULL HAVE TO TAKE IT EASY WITH YOUR INTENSE VULGARITY! PLS ITS A FORUM AND NOT AN AVENUE TO DISPLAY YOUR LEVEL OF RECALCITRANCE TO THE LAID DOWN RULES AND REGULATION GOVERNING POSTING! MEANWHILE YOU ARE WARNED NOT TO REPEAT THIS AGAIN OR UR PROFILE DATA BE WITHDRAWN BY ME!! grin cheesy
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by okoomoge2(m): 11:52am On Jul 03, 2008
All Nigeria Univeristies are obselete! OAU ,LAG, UI ,ABU or BEN.
Reality stares u in the face when u interact with your peers from other part of the world.
I mean what am saying!
A chemical engineer with first class does not know anything about HYSYS, OLGA, PIPESIM For flow assurance
A Geologist with CGPA 4.8 does not know nadda about petroleum exploration ( basic)
A mechanical engineer can not do basic hydraulic analysis
A met/mat engineer can not calculate corrosion rate.
So called accountants are bunch of dumb head and u are rating Nigerian University.
Ma guys when u enter JD for masters you go begin read like craze to catch up!
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by eminemkayc: 12:56pm On Jul 03, 2008
All Nigeria Univeristies are obselete! OAU ,LAG, UI ,ABU or BEN.
Reality stares u in the face when u interact with your peers from other part of the world.
I mean what am saying!
A chemical engineer with first class does not know anything about HYSYS, OLGA, PIPESIM For flow assurance
A Geologist with CGPA 4.8 does not know nadda about petroleum exploration ( basic)
A mechanical engineer can not do basic hydraulic analysis
A met/mat engineer can not calculate corrosion rate.
So called accountants are bunch of dumb head and u are rating Nigerian University.
Ma guys when u enter JD for masters you go begin read like craze to catch up!

U MIGHT BE RIGHT FOR SOME PEOPLE!! BUT YOUR ABSOLUTELY WRONG AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED!! FIRST OF ALL BY THE SPECIAL GRACE OF GOD I BAGGED A FIRST CLASS IN ONE OF NAIJA'S FOREMOST INSITUTIONS AND HAVE MET MY COLLEAGUES FROM DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE WORLD(COS I NOW WORK IN THE OIL ANG GAS SECTOR) AND ULL BE SHOCKED TO FIND OUT THAT EVEN MOST OF THEM WHO STUDY THERE DONT KNOW HOW TO USE THE AFFOREMENTIONED SOFTWARES BECAUSE OF LACK OF INTEREST!! THOUGH ITS INCLUDED IN THEIR CORICULLUM WHICH IS LACKING IN OUR DEAR NAIJA'S INSTITUTION. SECONDLY, ITS NOT TRUE THAT MOST FIRST CLASS ENGINEERS AND GOOD 2.1'S DONT NO HOW 2 CARRY OUT ENGINEERING ANALYSIS! ITS UNFAIR ON UR PART, BECAUSE UP TILL NOW, THERE IS HARDLY ANY KNOWN EQUATION IN MATHEMATICS AND CIVIL ENGINEERING THAT I CANNOT PROOVE (COS AM INTO RESEARCH AND ONLY UNWIND AT NAIRALAND.COM) AND MANY OTHERS OUT THERE! tongue ITS JUST THAT UVE NOT MET INTELLIGENT FOLKS THATS Y U SOUND LIKE THIS(A DRUNK grin grin)?! U SPEND UR TYME VISITING NIGHT CLUBS WHERE U MEET HOLIGANS AS UNDERGRADUATES AND U THEREAFTER, GENERALIZE BASED ON UR DEMONIC HALLUCINATION.
FINALLY, I LEARNT HOW TO USE SOFTWARES RELATED TO MY DISCIPLINE WHILE I WAS IN SCHOOL(AUTOCAD,STADD PRO AND AUTODESK REVIT) AND AM STILL LEARNING MORE! SO U COULD AS WELL DISCARD UR INFORMATION DOWN THE DRAINS!! tongue tongue grin
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by ejirok(m): 1:01pm On Jul 03, 2008
Omo I don't want to sound biased, as I finished from one of the three schools, but I no fit hold am. I gas shout, OAU Ifeis the bomb. Nothing do us O!. UI and Unilag dey follow 4 back. Funny enough with all the stress, ucan still catch ur groove. Well
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by JJay1(m): 1:23pm On Jul 03, 2008
UI is probably the only school that cant be named after ANY individual, whether living or dead.

Rating of Naija Universities

Topmost level
1 UI (theonly world class university in West Africa)

Second Level
2. OAU
2. UNILAG

Third Level
3.Nsukka
3. ABU
3. Benin
3. Calabar

Fourth level
4.OSU

Fifth Level
5. LASU
5.DELSU
and all the other SU's

NO LEVEL
0. Covenant
0. Igbunedion
0. Babcock
0. Bowen
0. ATBI
0. UniABUJA
0. Bayero
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by moHot(f): 1:26pm On Jul 03, 2008
the great is ife but da greatestttttttttttttttt i mean greatestttttttttttt of da greatttttttttt is UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN. YOU.I ROCKS.SHEY NA LIE? EJA MI MEEEHN!

UITES NO DEY BRAG,WE NOR DEY DO GRA GRA BECAUSE WE BELIEVE THAT BEHIND EVERY GENTLE UITE IS A SOLID STUDENT.
MAKE SOME NOISEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by ishow2005(m): 1:55pm On Jul 03, 2008
well,i just must contribute now that there are schools and there are skools but ui is different.
@ oauite.
i want to ask u how many of u stay in a room i mean the room in your hall of residence and just how many of your lecturers and profs  has never pass tru ui or tru a lecturer that has pass tru ui and you're here saying what u don't know better be careful b4 we shot down your school,we r talkin,you're talking of structure,do u think Oxford has structure
well u can't understand,ui is good and oau is also good but when we r talking about which is better considering all parameters then ui is just it and oau is just ui branch
forget structure or no structure infact i think ui should be exempted from the rating because it can not be measure at least to some extent wit the so called scale.
Ui,a school where there are more than 150 vcs,more than 500 deans,more than 1500 hods,better be careful before ui withdraw all your lecturer certificates.
Ui,a unique school no wonder its activities r just different.
do u also know that only profs are Hod in ui and Dr can only be an acting hod?
i beg.
Who is Oau beside ui,it is old glory so let it be old glory.
well am not fighting u but i just must let u understand what i think u don't understand.
Taba fi owo otun bomo wi atun fi tosi fa mora.Oau sorry
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by tkb417(m): 2:05pm On Jul 03, 2008
@moHot
u dey Kuwait still dey make noise
u guys dont shout, dont do gra gra; what are we gonna call what u just did?
UI with false pretence wey no hold water

@ishow2005
if ure a product of UI, then i rest ma case
and so f'cking what if u have a billion VCs?
how does that make UI better?
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by oladele80(m): 2:26pm On Jul 03, 2008
well, I love OAU, but what we used to believe about oau, don dey become film trick now. I mean where is the SUG, the structures don spoil finish, the riski burger,the good old ife! But then, the rain can not wash away the strips of the leopard, I give it to GREATEST IFE, the efissi 4 camp make other schools look like secondary school, the only school with an anthem, abi na lie?
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by Gbosko: 2:46pm On Jul 03, 2008
Men, I stayed in Unilag hostels during NUGA 98. Those hostel rooms were like prison slots. Toilet facility was also abysmal. To cap the whole thing, The whole of UNILAG land mass is just the size of AWO HALL in OAU!!
UI- UI is old and tired and new things have stopped happening there.
*IFE is the first ICT compliant University with a five floor world class "Computer Building" as early as 1995.
*The only university that has a Power dam on the campus.
* The only university that has a world class conference centre on campus.
* The one university that has a first rate Nuclear research centre on Campus.
*The only Nigerian university that has a Short-take-off-and Landing facility for Aircrafts. and It could go on and on.
The cost of IFE Campus will build atleast two UI and atleast six UNILAG.
IFE, The school of Lions!! Go and ask OBJ, Ahmadu Alli, Shagari, ABacha and IBB. They will tell you of their tales of that wonder institution situated on the hills where paradise confluence with the earth. Believe it or not, an encounter with the OAU environment is not only a cultural pilgrimage but also a spiritual revolution for those who appreciate goodness. OAU IFE, I will always love you. cry
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by Gbosko: 2:58pm On Jul 03, 2008
I love OAU IFE. cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by tkb417(m): 3:39pm On Jul 03, 2008
@Gbosko
u can go on and on
they say we blow trumpet, what is not worthy of trumpeting?

they came and they said they have a billion VCs and to them thats why they are better
schmucks!!!!

OAU has everything, no be lie
the street credibility gan sef apart from those landmarks go finish anybody
i be living testament to that. . .anywhere i go, na salute

Ife no be beans!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

JAMB 2017 UTME 13th May - Live Update / Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard / The Ancient Pyramids - I Know How It Was Built, Why It Was Built, Who Built It.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.