Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,292 members, 7,811,874 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:54 PM

Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? (58327 Views)

Poll: You'd vote for:

UNILAG: 25% (101 votes)
OAU Ife: 51% (206 votes)
UI: 23% (94 votes)
This poll has ended

OAU-Ife Students Fetch Water From Stream (Pictures) / Man Beaten For Molesting OAU-Ife Student / . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by okoomoge2(m): 3:44pm On Jul 03, 2008
eminemkayc (m)   Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI?
« #119 on: Today at 12:56:51 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You MIGHT BE RIGHT FOR SOME PEOPLE!! BUT YOUR ABSOLUTELY WRONG AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED!! FIRST OF ALL BY THE SPECIAL GRACE OF GOD I BAGGED A FIRST CLASS IN ONE OF NAIJA'S FOREMOST INSITUTIONS AND HAVE MET MY COLLEAGUES FROM DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE WORLD(COS I NOW WORK IN THE OIL ANG GAS SECTOR) AND ULL BE SHOCKED TO FIND OUT THAT EVEN MOST OF THEM WHO STUDY THERE DONT KNOW HOW TO USE THE AFFOREMENTIONED SOFTWARES BECAUSE OF LACK OF INTEREST!! THOUGH ITS INCLUDED IN THEIR CORICULLUM WHICH IS LACKING IN OUR DEAR NAIJA'S INSTITUTION. SECONDLY, ITS NOT TRUE THAT MOST FIRST CLASS ENGINEERS AND GOOD 2.1'S DONT NO HOW 2 CARRY OUT ENGINEERING ANALYSIS! ITS UNFAIR ON UR PART, BECAUSE UP TILL NOW, THERE IS HARDLY ANY KNOWN EQUATION IN MATHEMATICS AND CIVIL ENGINEERING THAT I CANNOT PROOVE (COS AM INTO RESEARCH AND ONLY UNWIND AT NAIRALAND.COM) AND MANY OTHERS OUT THERE!   ITS JUST THAT UVE NOT MET INTELLIGENT FOLKS THATS Y You SOUND LIKE THIS(A DRUNK   )?! You SPEND UR TYME VISITING NIGHT CLUBS WHERE You MEET HOLIGANS AS UNDERGRADUATES AND You THEREAFTER, GENERALIZE BASED ON UR DEMONIC HALLUCINATION.
FINALLY, I LEARNT HOW TO USE SOFTWARES RELATED TO MY DISCIPLINE WHILE I WAS IN SCHOOL(AUTOCAD,STADD PRO AND AUTODESK REVIT) AND AM STILL LEARNING MORE! SO You COULD AS WELL DISCARD UR INFORMATION DOWN THE DRAINS!!   

My Guy you claim you started using STADDPro while in school abi ? Have used ISYMOST, NSO as well .
How many jackets have you designed, How many Topside structures for an FPSO/FPU have u done?
I hope you can use PDMS and Invetor, struud Too, alacurry,
Thank God I visit Nite Club as you have said OGA prophet of doom, since you have a crystal ball before u abi.
Man u are wierd!  u just dey laka yarn gba.
Demonic hallucination abi- Na your elder brother dey kolo.
Leave it or take it u are just an an asshole.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by tkb417(m): 4:07pm On Jul 03, 2008
@Oko-Omoge
easy man
this thing is not to abuse one another abeggi
the guy just dey joke. no vex

which one be laka yarn gba?
hehehehehehehehehe. i nearly broke ma lappy laffin.
guy u funny die!!!
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by yemai: 5:38pm On Jul 03, 2008
the only students, graduates that ve been sensibile so far are the Unilag folks because they ve steer clear of the discusions. you know papas don't need to shout
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by fyneguy: 5:58pm On Jul 03, 2008
Yemai lol

na lie o, unilag folks are partying and trying to get the babes
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by gidig(m): 6:23pm On Jul 03, 2008
@yemai,

papas don't have what to shout about.

I think that so many UNILAG grads are mostly unaware of schools elsewhere. This I realised when they hosted NUGA game in 98. They kept telling us how their just constructed sports center is better than ours. I asked them to attend OAU's inter hall football competition finals that is played in the night, about 7:30pm under flood lights and they were like is that true?'

This is an online. I have friends who will not even dignify Unilag students with an argument in terms of education.That is how low some Ife folks think of UNILAG. UI, we can agree as they gave us most of our first generation lecturers as they did other school.

Ife is not on the same pedestal with most Nigerian schools. It is beyond the structures  or the 'Aluta'. Once you come in to register as a student in Ile Ife, you realise that you are part of a great family that transcends education and enters an almost mafia like commitment to the school and to one another. It is this that makes Ife great and keeps us striving to be the best anywhere we find ourselves. It is something that you can not excuse away.

An example will suffice at this point. In 98, we lost to UNILAG in the finals of the Football game in NUGA. Since they had complained that we were oppressing them in their school and in Lagos. They were es tactic and drove to their school from Onikan in wild celebrations, thinking that we would be depressed. Our response was in the Great Ife tradition as we started singing 'A du pe ko ju meji lo' ( yoruba for 'we are grateful the goals were not more than two') on our way back to the campus. The UNILAG students who were waiting to humiliate us as they have finally shut our mouth were shocked to see us singing back. The lesson? It is not whether we win or lose on the outside;on the inside we are great. we only try to rtemind people who may have forgotten about it!
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by jorge1980(m): 7:01pm On Jul 03, 2008
gidig:

Ife is not on the same pedestal with most Nigerian schools.
Yeah you hit the nail on the head! At least the other Nigerian schools dont have to go through the nightmare of growing grey hairs in school grin
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by illusion2: 7:45pm On Jul 03, 2008
JJay1:

UI is probably the only school that can't be named after ANY individual, whether living or dead.

Rating of Naija Universities

Topmost level
1 UI (theonly world class university in West Africa)

Second Level
2. OAU
2. UNILAG

Third Level
3.Nsukka
3. ABU
3. Benin
3. Calabar

Fourth level
4.OSU

Fifth Level
5. LASU
5.DELSU
and all the other SU's

NO LEVEL
0. Covenant
0. Igbunedion
0. Babcock
0. Bowen
0. ATBI
0. UniABUJA
0. Bayero

This about sums it up !!! grin grin grin grin
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by samix(m): 7:50pm On Jul 03, 2008
@ife-eco-06
 stop bragging dude, u not better than everybody ok
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jul 03, 2008
Forget those schools. Uniben reigns supreme in Naija
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by vowiski(m): 4:02am On Jul 04, 2008
great uniben!
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by eminemkayc: 8:15am On Jul 04, 2008
My Guy you claim you started using STADDPro while in school abi ? Have used ISYMOST, NSO as well .
How many jackets have you designed, How many Topside structures for an FPSO/FPU have u done?
I hope you can use PDMS and Invetor, struud Too, alacurry,
Thank God I visit Nite Club as you have said OGA prophet of doom, since you have a crystal ball before u abi.
Man u are wierd! u just dey laka yarn gba.
Demonic hallucination abi- Na your elder brother dey kolo.
Leave it or take it u are just an an asshole.

@Oko-Omoge
easy man
this thing is not to abuse one another abeggi
the guy just dey joke. no vex

which one be laka yarn gba?
hehehehehehehehehe. i nearly broke ma lappy laffin.
guy u funny die!!!

THOUGH UR CORRECT ABOUT BY BEING HILARIOUS ABOUT THE MATTER BUT I HAVE MADE MY POINT CLEAR!! WHETHER HE LIKES IT OR NOT! AND AS FOR THE PDMS AND OTHERS HE STATED, ILL LIKE TO LET HIM NO AM A CIVIL ENGINEER AND THEREFORE ALL THE SOFTWARES RELATED TO MY DISCIPLINE THAT'LL MAKE MY JOB A LOT EASIER FOR ME, AM FAMILIAR WITH ALL OF THEM(GOTO ANY NNPC OFFICE AND ASK OF EMINEM AND THEYLL TELL You HIS WORTH). SO NEXT TYME, You BETTER DO UR RESEARCH BEFORE You MAKE COMMENTS COS PEOPLE ARE READING grin grin

Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by Dosman(m): 8:44am On Jul 04, 2008
Una all no dey shame.
In d world current technological development all these Uni no dey show face.
Even for Nigerian Industries sef na foreign Uni dey move d Industries 4 us.
All these Uni lack d basic things dat are prime movers its not by structure or wat u people av been hammering on.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by tijehi(f): 9:12am On Jul 04, 2008
Please when comparing schools, Unilag should not be included. I am so disapointed in that school. Before I got admitted for my second degree into Unilag, I thought that all we heard about the school as per academics and others we will definately experience, but right now I and most of my classmates are wondering if it was a wise idea going to such a school, where their lecturers behave as if they are in the medieval age, as if they are Lord and master of unilag, that no school authority can bring them to order. everything about that school is noithing to write home about. Academics is zero, we keep wondering who actually employed these lecturere that do not know how to impact knowledge. School accomodation is Zero. Have any of you been to their post graduate hostel (the masters level), called Erin carr, gees, you would just wonder. The rooms are so small, and from info we got the room was actually built to occupy one student, but because of their love for money, the authorities of the school decided to allocate a room to two students. We are really tired. I dont think the lecturers can discern between what a part time programme is and a full time programme. They fixed their part time time table for 6pm everyday, but some really dumb lectures came and chaged their lecture time to 5pm, knowing that alot of us opted for part time because we work, thus cannot get to class for 5. And when you eventually make the class at 6.25pm, the same dumb lecturer will embarass you, and warn you not to come late to his class again, or simply ask you to stand outside. They treat their post graduate students as if they are jambites. Unilag lecturers lack curtsey. When the come one hour late to class, they never apologise, and to think that most of them said they schooled abroad. We just wonder.We are really disappointed in Unilag.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by tkb417(m): 9:16am On Jul 04, 2008
@Dosman
all other sectors in 9ja are lagging behind not only the edu sector. . .
the thread is all about outsiders comparing the three schools not if the schools are at par with the Imperials of this world
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by pek(m): 9:27am On Jul 04, 2008
what are the parametres?. until that is defined, no clear cut asssement should be re.garded as true and accurate. believe me, no vote caste here or opinion expressed will be free from bias and tint
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by osat02: 9:42am On Jul 04, 2008
Members of the Great lfe family out there, you have said it all grin grin grin grin its all about our culture of greatness, catch ya at the top wink wink wink
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by Nobody: 10:06am On Jul 04, 2008
samix:

@ife-eco-06
  stop bragging dude, u not better than everybody ok

Bragging has not been my ailment.If I appear bragful here,I'm sorry.

But one of the greatest challenge I'm facing in real life is how not to brag. Sincerely,nobody finishes from Ife and will not have an element of bragging in him. I'm serious. Just as Harvard grads are known for their bragging around the world,Ife grads have the tendency to brag. Jimoh Ibrahim (NICON GCEO) incidentally is a product of IFE and HARVARD,an explanation for his bragful and loquacious nature(compared to the self-effacing Dangotes,Otedolas etc).

So personally,morally and religiously,I don't like to brag,but the IFE in me overrides all that at times.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by gorociano: 10:23am On Jul 04, 2008
i no fit shout, Greatest Ife!!!!Greatest Awoites!!!!, we run things men thing no run we, check anything good in this country na we, even 9ja's only olympic gold hopeful, fasuba our man, i no fit shout grin
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by legba1(m): 10:49am On Jul 04, 2008
the good news is that these 3 citadels of learning leads in the committee of schools in nigerai.but there's none like U&I.just too far ahead of the pack.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by ofurufu(m): 11:01am On Jul 04, 2008
legba1:

the good news is that these 3 citadels of learning leads in the committee of schools in nigerai.

As the thread starter,I acknowledge this. But what the order is is the objective of the thread.

In order to avoid bias,I have left out grads and students of these schools but they seem to have hijacked the whole thing. Only few independent posters have posted comments.

The question again is:

ELIGIBILITY:Are you a grad/student of schools other than those three?
QUESTION: If yes, then which of these three schools would you have gone if they were the only Universities in Nigeria?
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by realborn(m): 12:16pm On Jul 04, 2008
My dream school had always been Unilag.
I sat for Jamb putting in my best to ensure i procure admission by satisfying all statutory, requisite requirement to study Architecture.
Fortunately my prayers were answered. But my name was not on the Unilag merit list. I was disturbed. I chose Ife as second choice but deep within me i hated the school with a passion. My cousin who at that time was a part 3 student, advised i check out Ife and with his help I should be offered admission. I refused and in its stead, i bought another Jamb form, started lessons again and sat for the exam.

Few weeks after the Jamb exam, i returned from church on that fateful sunday to meet an offer for provisional admission into OAU, Ife. I was overjoyed. At that time, i needed to be in any school. I had tasted a state university and i did not like the environment. Moreover, i was consoled by the fact that the Jamb i wrote few weeks back can still land me in Unilag if i pass.

I left for Great Ife the next day being a monday with N6,000 then. The admission letter was late by a week. Registration had commenced.The money was intended to be my return money back to the state school i struggled to enter. First contact, driving through the legendary school gate and the well landscaped grass and vegetation on Road 1 made my heart melt. It was different from the other schools I had visited. I alighted at the SUB building. I strolled through motion ground and tears welled up in my eyes. I felt the consequence of the near miss of being a student and a member of this paradise on hills(quoting an earlier poster). The buildings, all well planned with grandeur. Beautiful architecture and scenery. I wish i can fully express the joy and experience i had that first day. Living in Awo, 'my first and second years' was fun extraordinaire; likewise running after Moz gals.LOL grin

As students, our biggest complaints being the rigorous and strenous academic routine we were made to go through has paid off as employe today. The strike and delays made me thick. I make impacts wherever i step into. The likes of Deolu Akinyemi have proved the efficacy of the learning culture and the indirect deposit of talents, positive traits and attributes intrinsic inherent in graduates of OAU. More are to come. That does not mean that there are no bad eggs.

I thank God that i did not repeal my decision to attend OAU. I was tested by the devil to leave for Unilag after the result of the second Jamb i wrote was released and I was offered an admission on merit.

I will forever remain a Great. No regrets.

Greatest Ife.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by spikedcylinder: 12:48pm On Jul 04, 2008
For added emphasis. . .
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by joselekas(m): 1:11pm On Jul 04, 2008
Nigeria’s top-20 universities as measured by research output

Rank University Score
1 Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife 200
2 Federal University of Technology, Akure 186
3 University of Ibadan 154
4 University of Lagos 144
5 University of Agriculture Abeokuta 74
6 University of Ilorin 62
7 University of Benin 50
8 Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka 44
9 Rivers State University of Science and Technology, Port Harcourt 32
10 University of Calabar 30
11 Federal University of Technology, Owerri 22
12 Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso 22
13 Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi 18
14 University of Ado-Ekiti 18
15 University of Uyo 14
16 University of Agriculture Makurdi 12
17 Delta State University, Abraka 12
18 Nasarawa State University, Keffi 12
19 Abia State University, Uturu 12
20 University of Maiduguri
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by Gbosko: 1:15pm On Jul 04, 2008
ABU, Zaria not in top 10? That rating is flawed.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by Gbosko: 1:17pm On Jul 04, 2008
Well, dunno. May not be if research output is the yard stick.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by spikedcylinder: 1:22pm On Jul 04, 2008

Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by spikedcylinder: 1:31pm On Jul 04, 2008
From my last post, i took the fourth picture one cold morning (at about 7am) as i was studying in Education foyer studying for an exam slated for later in the day. I felt so peaceful being there, i just had to take a pic!

@realborn, I see you around in school. You stayed on Ede road abi? I stayed in EEA hostel in my part 2.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by pritypeety(f): 1:37pm On Jul 04, 2008
well this post is a very interesting one. Firsty let me make it clear that i am not a student of OAU or any other uni in Naija but sincerely speaking i need to comment. Based on products between 2000 and 2007 I will pick OAU. this is so because a 2 1 class from OAU get more respect than the students from lag. For example picking the faculty of law, the Lecturers  there are very good lecturers.  am talking of the likes of [b]Prof. Ijalaye, idowu,  Adedeji [/b]of economics  and other renowened profs like dat.  Oau lecturers are  very friendly set of people  they are the type dat dont look down on the dissabilities of students even though they tend to be proud sometimes. They make sure they do all thei possible best for u to pass.  

Now talking about a very conducive environment OAU has it all a very clean surrounding for u to read much more relax. you can get everything you need in the school from a pub to a local market which is very good for students staying on campus but imagine unilag u av to board a #70 or watever amount go to out and buy food stuff! imagine that. Forgettin that everyone are students.

But strictly speaking OAU is a very nice school. If you av a first class from OAU u will see the kind of respect u get from firms dats if u no have family problem o

In terms of fees and the likes, OAU I can say anywhere is still the cheapest in naija apart 4rm  postgraduates studies.
As for UI am not really sure about theirs since they produce just few graduates. I heard UI are trying to change to a PG school

1 Like

Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by tkb417(m): 1:54pm On Jul 04, 2008
@Spikedcylinder
haba, dont over flog this thing
why will you post all these breathtaking pics for these pips?
they will copy, save and put as der wallpapers on der lappys

No school in 9ja can boast of these
1)architectural masterpieces like we have in ife
2) lecturers in Ife are top dawgs
3) students of Ife are class acts anywhere
4) student unionism- we teach others follow. . .but wait o, heard the present VC has banned unionism
5) from the stats above, IFe leads in research output compared to other schools

what other parameters do u need
ok fine, if its the largest concentration of harlots and daughters of SOHO, then Unilag will beat us handsdown
if its clubbing, we will come last
if its cultism, we will come last

but for cluture, education, sports et al
OAU is the numero uno
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by joselekas(m): 2:20pm On Jul 04, 2008
" heard the present VC has banned unionism"
@ spikedcylinder
The present VC ( Pro. Michael Faborode) is fighting 4rm all angle to install his stooge to run the student union body inorder 4 him to increase the school fee and implement his other obnoxious policy. Trust Great Ife Student the man will not succeed, this semester is the election. Gongo Aso.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by helium44(m): 2:34pm On Jul 04, 2008
guys,lets b honest with ourselves, we all knw AKOKA rules.C'mon d name rings a bell anytym anyday.dat ull all agree.virtually all us tried d skul and ended elsewhr afta admision palava.Im proud to be an akokite and will alwayz feel special abt dat.GREEEEEEEAAAAAATEEEEST AKOKIITES!!!!!!!!.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by dkgetmuny: 2:37pm On Jul 04, 2008
A school close to nature,
situated in a serene and quite environment in the ouskirt of the craddle of yoruba land, THE SOURCE(ile-ife).
A school with sound minds and intellectuals,
A school with the only recognizedschool anthem n the world
A school with an institutionalized student union government
A school where the first lobel lauret winner of literature was domiciled for many years before retirement
A school whose students dictates how they want it
A school with unmeasurable,unparable,undoubtable standard.
A school where icons like,

prof. itse sagay(SAN)-former dean faculty of law
Prof. A.O Adegbulugbe-special adviser to obj on energy matters
Emeritus professor david ijalaye(SAN)-Nigerias first emeritus professor of law
Femi falana
fred Agbaje
Bamidele Aturu
Jimi Agbaje

i know other schools have there own products, but when u say a school that has produced graduates and still produces graduates that have excelled in their choosen field, the ur Guess is as good as mine, Oba Awon University is just the place.
Unilag, show biz no doubt
UI archaic and rustic

Even people who schooled abroad choose to identify with OAU as their base, E.g Chief Gani Fawehinmi (SAM,SAN)
SAM-senior Advocate Of the Masses,given to him by OAU student congress.

no need for debating, OAU has no equal
You still doubt me? go ask recruiting firm who the employers favourite is, OAU of course

AT this historical junction,i submit that OAU,OAU and OAU are the only three universities that can be recognised in Nigeria and very soon the whole wide world grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

JAMB 2017 UTME 13th May - Live Update / Amotekun Is Cheetah Not Leopard / The Message University Of Liverpool Issued To Students Masturbating In Toilets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.