Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,120 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:21 AM

World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon (8029 Views)

World's First Malaria Vaccine Approved / GBAM!!! Ebola Vaccine To Be Ready In 2015 BY WHO. / U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by kunlesehan(m): 11:45am On Oct 09, 2013
long overdue!
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by mjlumideee(m): 11:51am On Oct 09, 2013
y is Africa alwaya a test ground for these ailment, most especially malaria?
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by taharqa: 11:54am On Oct 09, 2013
Good oo....
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by texazzpete(m): 11:55am On Oct 09, 2013
Such an irony when an 'unbeliever' like Bill Gates does more for charity - and more to help the sick and suffering - than 99% of our 'Men of God' who tell you that suffering and poverty is from your sins, your mindset or because you don't 'give'.

2 Likes

Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by Raxxye(m): 11:59am On Oct 09, 2013
Good job! Africa heaves a sigh of relieve
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by thiefnubu(m): 12:06pm On Oct 09, 2013
please when is the bomb vaccine going to be commercially available?
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by texazzpete(m): 12:10pm On Oct 09, 2013
mjlumideee: y is Africa alwaya a test ground for these ailment, most especially malaria?

1. Clinical testing was done in the US
2. Africa has the biggest concentration of malaria in the world.

I wish you clowns would stop making light of this issue. Nearly a million children die of malaria every year. You people should be jumping with joy instead of all this bullcrap FUD.

If you're asking why Africans have lots of malaria cases, why not go and ask whatever deity you believe in?
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by Nobody: 12:12pm On Oct 09, 2013
I'll rather continue taking the malaria meds if/when I do get malaria. 20 years from now, you will hear that it is this malaria vaccine that resulted in the deaths of several African consumers. The Kano incident is still fresh in my memory jare. They can keep it.

1 Like

Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by tallceejay(m): 12:16pm On Oct 09, 2013
Damojo: Time to invest in GSK shares!

I thot they said non-profit. Besides a twist to all this means, a lot of people will be put out of business....producers of insecticide, local mosquito coil, mosquito nets, etc
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by Obinoscopy(m): 12:17pm On Oct 09, 2013
I just learnt that WHO will make a pronouncement on the efficacy and protection lifespan of the vaccine by 2015! So we still have to wait a while. However the result of the Phase III Clinical Trials is out.
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by Obinoscopy(m): 12:20pm On Oct 09, 2013
tallceejay:

I thot they said non-profit. Besides a twist to all this means, a lot of people will be put out of business....producers of insecticide, local mosquito coil, mosquito nets, etc
The major target of the vaccines are the newborns/infants. So we adults, and even children above 1 years, will still resort to our usual method of combating malaria.
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by escobar07(m): 12:47pm On Oct 09, 2013
brosun: From test trial, the world’s first vaccine to tackle malaria, a disease that threatens the life of about 3.3 billion worldwide, will soon be available in commercial quantity for the treatment of the disease.

British drug maker, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), is seeking regulatory approval to produce the malaria vaccine for sale, after trial data showed that it had cut the number of cases in African children.

Experts Tuesday welcomed the bid, saying they are optimistic about the possibility of the world's first vaccine being deployed to tame malaria, after the trial results.

According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), malaria, a mosquito-borne parasitic disease, kills hundreds of thousands of people worldwide yearly, with an estimated 219 million cases of the disease reported in 2010, causing an estimated 660,000 deaths.

But scientists said an effective vaccine was crucial to attempts to eradicate the disease instead of the drug regimen being used now to fight it.

The vaccine known as RTS,S was found to have almost halved the number of malaria cases in young children in the trial and to have reduced by about 25 per cent the number of malaria cases in infants.

GSK is developing RTS,S with the non-profit Path Malaria Vaccine Initiative (MVI), supported by funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Researchers found out that the vaccine, which is being developed in the US, protected 12 out of 15 patients from the disease, when given in high doses.
The method is unusual because it involves injecting live but weakened malaria-causing parasites directly into patients to trigger immunity.

"Many millions of malaria cases fill the wards of our hospitals," said Halidou Tinto, a lead investigator on the RTS,S trial from Burkina Faso.

"Progress is being made with bed nets and other measures, but we need more tools to battle this terrible disease,” Tinto added.

The malaria trial was Africa's largest-ever clinical exercise involving almost 15,500 children in seven countries.

The findings were presented at a medical meeting in Durban, South Africa.http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/experts-welcome-world-s-first-malaria-vaccine/161115/

There is nothing usual about that. it's not a novel idea.
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by Nobody: 12:50pm On Oct 09, 2013
lilslick: pls wat is malaria?
its a type of food.
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by noblefada: 12:59pm On Oct 09, 2013
texazzpete:

1. Clinical testing was done in the US
2. Africa has the biggest concentration of malaria in the world.

I wish you clowns would stop making light of this issue. Nearly a million children die of malaria every year. You people should be jumping with joy instead of all this bullcrap FUD.

If you're asking why Africans have lots of malaria cases, why not go and ask whatever deity you believe in?
No the clinical trials were done in Africa. I won't be celebrating just yet, I followed the trials and know a little about malaria, results of trials were not so convincing and the protection is just for about a year. Will keep my fingers cross until 2 yrs after mass deployment.

1 Like

Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by Tinkybabe(f): 1:27pm On Oct 09, 2013
escobar07:

There is nothing usual about that. it's not a novel idea.

Thank you!that caught my attention too.

Good development though I'm yet to fathom why it took them that long to develop a vaccine if the development is limited to just injecting people with attenuated malaria parasites.

I'm still uncertain about the efficacy of this vaccine,but fingers crossed.

That said,kudos to GSK on the attempt.

Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by joshuapharm(m): 1:48pm On Oct 09, 2013
Damojo: Time to invest in GSK shares!

Big time mehn. But I started thinking, the scientific explanation of this vaccine'll be very interesting..
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by Atigba: 1:53pm On Oct 09, 2013
i need am
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by texazzpete(m): 2:06pm On Oct 09, 2013
noblefada:
No the clinical trials were done in Africa. I won't be celebrating just yet, I followed the trials and know a little about malaria, results of trials were not so convincing and the protection is just for about a year. Will keep my fingers cross until 2 yrs after mass deployment.

if it was able to protect a large proportion of children injected with the vaccine, why is this not cause for celebration?
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by konami001: 2:10pm On Oct 09, 2013
African man will die living on HANDOUT....

Instead of preparing your food by yourselves, your preference is for an enemy to prepare it for you. But guess what?
Better start digging your graves when the trojan horse arrives...
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by manjiggy(m): 2:50pm On Oct 09, 2013
Tinkybabe:

Thank you!that caught my attention too.

Good development though I'm yet to fathom why it took them that long to develop a vaccine if the development is limited to just injecting people with attenuated malaria parasites.

I'm still uncertain about the efficacy of this vaccine,but fingers crossed.

That said,kudos to GSK on the attempt.

I've worked with malaria parasites before. I can say it is not an easy task to come up with a vaccine for malaria. Thank God it is finally here.
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by dominique(f): 3:31pm On Oct 09, 2013
vowiski:

What is the meaning of a Vaccine? Nothing we won't read on NL.. cheesy

You're a microbiologist, I expect you to know better. Some vaccines (such as the oral polio vaccine) are administered more than once before one can be fully immune from the disease.
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by noblefada: 3:49pm On Oct 09, 2013
texazzpete:

if it was able to protect a large proportion of children injected with the vaccine, why is this not cause for celebration?
Read the original scientific report, then you'll have an idea of it's actual efficacy. Secondly, one of the malaria parasite is the most stubborn organism ever known to man and has so far defied everything thrown @ it.
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by obi123: 4:25pm On Oct 09, 2013
na wa so they are about to find a vaccine for HIV and malaria and they are working and spending tirelessly on other ground breaking researches around the globe and Nigeria is still trying to figure out how to give 24hr electricity after how many decades
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by benom(m): 7:10pm On Oct 09, 2013
Wrong. This is not the first anti malaria vaccine. The US Navy tested one here in the US earlier this year and it is waiting for FDA approval.
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by Jman06(m): 9:14pm On Oct 09, 2013
I doff my hat for Bill and Melinda Gate foundation,for the good works they have been doing for humanity,the same people subsidize some of the antimalarial and antiretroviral drugs being used in nigeria today,among other charity works they have been doing for humanity.While the 'poor' millionaires we have in Nigeria use their own money to oppress the less privileged.This why i have always said that Nigeria cannot do without America.That's the bitter truth!
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by Nobody: 9:31pm On Oct 09, 2013
Kenny4lyfe: Bad news for Antimalarial Combination Therapy (ACT) manufacturing companies! grin

fellow nairalanders, if you don't chart a way forward for our continued existence as a country, who will?