Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,159 members, 7,821,940 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:20 PM

What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? (23496 Views)

How To Know That The Bible Has Expired / What The Bible Has To Say About Ebola Virus & Its Solution / "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Oct 13, 2013
Some drunks would cite Timothy's intake of a vine drink as a yardstick for them to get engrossed in alcoholism.

We all know they're drunks and would surely lose the Holyspirit.

1 Like

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Oct 13, 2013
lorretta u: That part of the bible that says 'women submit to your husband' has been always totally abused by men.

They delibrately leave out that part that says 'husbands love your wives as jesus loves his church'
Meaning you should love your wife to point of sacrificing urself is need be for her.and in return,she'll submit to you.

Now who wouldn't submit to someone who's primary care and concern is for her well being?

when choir master and choir mistress want to... ehm... You kno, dey wil back it up with Søngs of SOlomon chapter 4
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Oct 13, 2013
Thebrightest: So if i marry u, you wont submit to me?
I will be very delighted to submit to a loving husband.
pro01:

No chance. They prefer to submit to their bosses, sugar daddies, patrons, pastors, and so on - rather than to their boyfriends or husbands. The concept of 'independent woman' in Nigeria means being dependent on other men in order to be independent from the legitimate man in the woman's life, for shakara purposes.

How is this related to what we are talking about?

And how in my posts did I say submission is wrong?if you're angry with ur woman,why don't you sort it out with her than come here and say things out of frustration.
Afam4eva:
With the bolded, it shows you're even twisting it further. Did the bible say a man should love his wife and in turn she will submit? The bible mentions firstly that women should submit and that husbands should love their wives and nowhere was it mentioned that one action should be as a result of the other. They're independent.
without being told Afam,you know it's difficult for you to submit to someone who abuses you.
I'm not being sentimental here.just stating facts. Where there is love,the woman is ALL too happy to submit.I'm saying from my own personal experience.
Where the man and the woman are in it not for persnal satisfaction or selfish interest.both working towards the other's happiness.

I'll definitely be crazy not to submit to a man who makes me his priority.what exactly would I be rebelling against
His love for me?
His good leadership in the home?
His most mature and insightful ways of handling problems?
No I don't think so.

Rebellion only comes as a means of the victim trying to escape oppression.
If he isn't oppressing me,rebellion doesn't get into the equation.
And submission comes willingly,lovingly and most romantically.

8 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Oct 13, 2013
I will be very delighted to submit to a loving husband.
pro01:

No chance. They prefer to submit to their bosses, sugar daddies, patrons, pastors, and so on - rather than to their boyfriends or husbands. The concept of 'independent woman' in Nigeria means being dependent on other men in order to be independent from the legitimate man in the woman's life, for shakara purposes.

How is this related to what we are talking about?

And how in my posts did I say submission is wrong?if you're angry with ur woman,why don't you sort it out with her than come here and say things out of frustration.
Afam4eva:
With the bolded, it shows you're even twisting it further. Did the bible say a man should love his wife and in turn she will submit? The bible mentions firstly that women should submit and that husbands should love their wives and nowhere was it mentioned that one action should be as a result of the other. They're independent.
without being told Afam,you know it's difficult for you to submit to someone who abuses you.
I'm not being sentimental here.just stating facts. Where there is love,the woman is ALL too happy to submit.I'm saying from my own personal experience.
Where the man and the woman are in it not for persnal satisfaction or selfish interest.both working towards the other's happiness.

I'll definitely be crazy not to submit to a man who makes me his priority.what exactly would I be rebelling against
His love for me?
His good leadership in the home?
His most mature and insightful ways of handling problems?
No I don't think so.

Rebellion only comes as a means of the victim trying to escape oppression.
If he isn't oppressing me,rebellion doesn't get into the equation.
And submission comes willingly,lovingly and most romantically.

1 Like

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by shejane: 1:56pm On Oct 13, 2013
Most nd most is give 2 God wot belongs 2 God nd ceasar 2 ceasar's

2) Is nt wot goes inside a man dat makes a man bt wot comes out of him (4 smokers nd drunkard)

3) Is nt gud for one 2 sleep alone bt for two 2 sleep so dat der wil produce heat (4 fornicators)

4) Bring all ur tithes 2 my house nd prove me if I wil nt open u d windows of heaven ( 4 fake preachers)

5) It is easier 4 camel 2 pass thru a needle dan 4 a rich man 2 enter heaven (4 lazy christians claiming born again)
6) His Grace is sufficient 4 us( 4 pple dat are comfortable in sins)

So many 2 mention
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by decepticos(m): 1:56pm On Oct 13, 2013
Every single word, verse, chapter and book of any holy book can be twisted for whatever reason.
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Oct 13, 2013
grin grin cheesy
rapsodeep:
when choir master and choir mistress want to... ehm... You kno, dey wil back it up with Søngs of SOlomon chapter 4
lmao
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by SalC: 2:00pm On Oct 13, 2013
Speaking in tongues for all believers.
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Slasha1(f): 2:00pm On Oct 13, 2013
The memory of the righteous is blessed,but the name of the wicked will rot. Prov 10:7. Students pick out the first line alone and keep confessing it,whereas the verse is talking about something else.
Also,"I shall not die but live" they aren't ready to declare the works of God.

2 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by SalC: 2:02pm On Oct 13, 2013
rapsodeep:
Really? You follow?
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Oct 13, 2013
grin
shejane: Most nd most is give 2 God wot belongs 2 God nd ceasar 2 ceasar's

2) Is nt wot goes inside a man dat makes a man bt wot comes out of him (4 smokers nd drunkard)

3) Is nt gud for one 2 sleep alone bt for two 2 sleep so dat der wil produce heat (4 fornicators)

4) Bring all ur tithes 2 my house nd prove me if I wil nt open u d windows of heaven ( 4 fake preachers)

5) It is easier 4 camel 2 pass thru a needle dan 4 a rich man 2 enter heaven (4 lazy christians claiming born again)
6) His Grace is sufficient 4 us( 4 pple dat are comfortable in sins)

So many 2 mention
very true
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Alert(f): 2:07pm On Oct 13, 2013
ujoatu: 15 Then Naaman and all his
attendants went back to the man
of God. He stood before him and
said, “Now I know that there is no
God in all the world except in
Israel. So please accept a gift from
your servant.”
16 The prophet answered, “As
surely as the LORD lives, whom I
serve, I will not accept a thing.”
And even though Naaman urged
him, he refused.
thieves now called "men of God" do the opposite
That was part of the reading during mass, and i wondered why nobody has ever made reference to that part of the bible

1 Like

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Michaellegend(m): 2:08pm On Oct 13, 2013
1 samuel 16:7.. But d lord said to him pay no attention to how tall and handsome he is. I do not jugde as people jugde. They look at outward appearance, but i look at d heart
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by unmask: 2:13pm On Oct 13, 2013
Aboki-polish:
Jesus turn water to wine
they said it was non-alcoholic

Female wearing trousers....

Calling tithers out to the front of the church for special prayers (I hate that with a passion)

Tithing messages

Then some other ones that centre on pastors supposedly having to be billionaires

Speaking in tongues aspect
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Oct 13, 2013
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Mintayo(m): 2:14pm On Oct 13, 2013
Praktikals: The issue of one man, one woman.
People make it look as though marrying more than one wife is an automatic ticket to Hell. But, on the contrary, God seems to have special likening for polygamists. Or how else do you want to explain His love for people like David, Solomon and Father Abraham.
People say that is old testament, but God is the same yesterday, today and forever.

Another is the issue of tithing. Tithes should be given to the needy. The Holy Bible did not say give to the pastor. How can you ask me to give out my salary to someone like Baba Oyedepo?
you are actually wrong about the marriage,you know.
From the begining, it is one man,one woman.
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Biggyd2: 2:22pm On Oct 13, 2013
That woman made Adam to sin against God. But if you read Gen3:6, you would see that Adam was there with Eve and the serpent but didn't refuse the fruit when he was offered some, neither did he rebuke satan. That guy fall men hand for life! He was just there committing lookery shocked shocked. So no be Eve make us sin anything. The same brain wey Eve get na im Adam get but the brain no pick for dat day. The tin pain me well well. angry cool. Man con make us accessory to the "crime". grin angry

4 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by teniyi(m): 2:27pm On Oct 13, 2013
For God so love the heaven. Lol. Rubbish books.
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by sirgreen: 2:27pm On Oct 13, 2013
[quote author=Handsomeemmy]

i was expecting this.

well said[

opening of hairs has become the other of the day
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by sirgreen: 2:30pm On Oct 13, 2013
opening of hairs in the churches has become the order of the day
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by burukutu10(m): 2:35pm On Oct 13, 2013
[quote author=ujoatu]15 Then Naaman and all his
attendants went back to the man
of God. He stood before him and
said, “Now I know that there is no
God in all the world except in
Israel. So please accept a gift from
your servant.”
16 The prophet answered, “As
surely as the LORD lives, whom I
serve, I will not accept a thing.”
And even though Naaman urged
him, he refused.
thieves now called "men of God" do the opposite. RIGHT ON POINT!
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by hikmoj(m): 2:39pm On Oct 13, 2013
About 50000 errors in d bible.
Courtesy>JEHOVAH WITNESSESS
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by made2fit(f): 2:55pm On Oct 13, 2013
Michaellegend: 1 samuel 16:7.. But d lord said to him pay no attention to how tall and handsome he is. I do not jugde as people jugde. They look at outward appearance, but i look at d heart
How is this twisted?
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by mu2sa2: 3:34pm On Oct 13, 2013
Now who's judging who and who's twisting what? You're all accusing mogs but they in turn will quote the same bible to prove you wrong. Shall we say all are confused!
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Oct 13, 2013
quivah: mal 3vs10
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by SweetSoup(m): 3:45pm On Oct 13, 2013
Why are women allowed to speak in churches when the bible in 1 Corinthians 14:33-35 said they shouldn't?

1 Like

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by TippyTop(m): 3:53pm On Oct 13, 2013
Sermwell: I tink its "touch not my annointed... And also"judge not..." Dis verses of d bible have often provided a shield 2 dose thiefing pastors hu extort d living day light out of their members! SMH 4 some gullible church members

Damn right.
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by jadelyn007(f): 3:57pm On Oct 13, 2013
ofcourse she will submit to u if u will die for her as Christ loved d church to d extent of washin his disciples feet and even dying for dem
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by PastorKun(m): 4:04pm On Oct 13, 2013
mu2sa2: Now who's judging who and who's twisting what? You're all accusing mogs but they in turn will mis quote the same bible to prove you wrong. Shall we say all are confused!

Corrected cool
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Oct 13, 2013
There's this verse of the bible that is always twisted by a prominent prosperity preacher who owns 4 private jets.

Job 22:24 "Then shalt thou lay up gold as dust, and the gold of Ophir as the stones of the brooks." (KJV)

In other versions of the bible, 'lay up gold as dust' translates as 'discard your gold, do away with it, throw it away,' but he interprets that verse especially the 'lay up gold as dust' part to mean you will become so rich gold will become like dust to you. You have to pay your tithe though.

2 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Afam4eva(m): 4:09pm On Oct 13, 2013
piano_girl:
I beg to disagree with you on the bolded..Love and submission are interdependent of each other.
According to 1 Corinthians 11:11, in the Lord man is not independent of woman, nor is woman independent of man - we've regained that status of interdependence for which we were originally
created. That's why Galatians 3:27-28 tells us that there is no distinction or preference between men and women, "for we are all one in Christ Jesus."
Note that this interdependence comes with certain responsibilities. Within the context of marriage, the man is to demonstrate his interdependence by loving his wife unconditionally, and she is to demonstrate her interdependence by submitting willingly to his leadership of the family-Ephesians 5:22-33.
In this way, the husband and wife both contribute to bringing out the full potentials of each other.
I think you're going off tangent. We're talking of actions and not the man and woman. The fact that your husband is abusing the "submission" thingy does not mean should not continue submitting and the same thing applies to the man. Nowhere in that scripture did it say that women submitting themselves to their husband and men loving their wives are dependent on each other. You guys should stop twisting the bible. It's very clear.

3 Likes

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Michaellegend(m): 4:11pm On Oct 13, 2013
made2fit: How is this twisted?
Indecent dressing

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Corruption Now Official In Nigeria – Bakare / Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? / Pastor Penuel Mnguni Feeds Congregation With Dog And Frog Meat To Heal HIV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.