Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,311 members, 7,819,058 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:43 AM

What Is the Meaning of Love? - Romance (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Is the Meaning of Love? (23315 Views)

Do Nigerian Girls Really Know The Meaning Of "Orente"? / Abortion: Now A Proof Of Love? / What Is The Meaning And Purpose Of Honeymoon? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Genial(m): 11:06pm On Jun 10, 2006
Rhodalyn:

Love is wanting whats best for the other person
when U're together, it feels right & that seems to be da Only thing that matters
Love is U I together 4 eva
You know you are in love
when you see the world in her eyes,
and her eyes everywhere in the world.

You sound like you're in love, and you've not yet suffered a broken heart. Is that right?

Do you see the world in his eyes? How does that work - is it digital or what?
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by 2fine4u(f): 6:52am On Jun 11, 2006
love is for suckers!!!
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Shagari2(m): 3:41pm On Jun 11, 2006
Love is giving and not expecting back
Love is patience
Love is truthfulness
Love is kindness
Love is gentility

Love is what a mother has for her new born child, very few would experience it after that, but we all are able to give it.

Maybe if we all give it, than we can all experience it.
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Genial(m): 4:12pm On Jun 11, 2006
Shagari2:

Love is giving and not expecting back
Love is patience
Love is truthfulness
Love is kindness
Love is gentility

Love is what a mother has for her new born child, very few would experience it after that, but we all are able to give it.

Maybe if we all give it, than we can all experience it.

This is one sensible person that does not think love has to involve the genitals.  cheesy

@Shagari

I think your perspective of love answers some of my questions. If love gives and does not expect back, then there is no less room for disappointments and heartbreak, right?

However, how would you reconcile this with the situation in everyday relationships? How can you give without expecting back? Aren't relationships supposed to be a two-way thing?
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Shagari2(m): 5:02pm On Jun 11, 2006
Love and relationships are diff things, you don't have to be in a relationshp with someone to love them but if you are in a relationship with someone you love the same still holds, its a misnomer that relationships are 50:50, it really is 100%, you give all andyou give because you love, if you are then lucky to be in a relationship with someone that thinks and acts the same, than you truely are in heaven!
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Genial(m): 5:07pm On Jun 11, 2006
Shagari2:

Love and relationships are diff things, you don't have to be in a relationshp with someone to love them but if you are in a relationship with someone you love the same still holds, its a misnomer that relationships are 50:50, it really is 100%, you give all andyou give because you love, if you are then lucky to be in a relationship with someone that thinks and acts the same, than you truely are in heaven!

You sound very sensible.

So, what do you think about the term 'true love'? Is there such a thing?
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Shagari2(m): 5:18pm On Jun 11, 2006
Love is love, we are the ones that have currupted what should always be true and pure.
Sometimes we meet a person and our hormones take control, you like what you see, you want her/him, your in 'love', these are basic instincts that ensures that we are attracted to the opposite sex that in turn ensures that our progeny survives, these 'feelngs' often leave as fast as they come leaving us with 'broken hearts' and pondering o the meaning of 'true love'
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Rhodalyn(f): 5:21pm On Jun 11, 2006
You sound like you're in love, and you've not yet suffered a broken heart. Is that right?

Do you see the world in his eyes? How does that work - is it digital or what?

yeah!!! U can say that again kiss kiss, i am in love and i aint Suffered a broken heart yet, dont think i ever will, nahhh i dont really see the world in his eyes
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Genial(m): 5:23pm On Jun 11, 2006
Shagari2:

Love is love, we are the ones that have currupted what should always be true and pure.
Sometimes we meet a person and our hormones take control, you like what you see, you want her/him, your in 'love', these are basic instincts that ensures that we are attracted to the opposite sex that in turn ensures that our progeny survives, these 'feelngs' often leave as fast as they come leaving us with 'broken hearts' and pondering o the meaning of 'true love'

OK. But you still haven't answered my question, at least directly.

In your opinion, is there such a thing as true love : yes or no - and why?
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Genial(m): 5:24pm On Jun 11, 2006
Rhodalyn:

yeah!!! U can say that again kiss kiss, i am in love and i aint Suffered a broken heart yet, don't think i ever will, nahhh i don't really see the world in his eyes

Good for you. I wish you all the best.

Is this your true love?
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Rhodalyn(f): 5:30pm On Jun 11, 2006
yeap!!! we wonna spend da rest Of Our lives together kiss kiss really, he's a gr8t guy, really Caring and stuff, he even wrote a poem 4 me, it's soo pretty and i dont think he's gonna disappoint me and neither am i, he's One in a billion!!!

but how did U Guess ma heart has never been broken b4 U sound smart kiss kiss

and Cheers, i wish u all da best too kiss kiss
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Shagari2(m): 5:35pm On Jun 11, 2006
Yes, there is such a thing as true love, I've never really experienced it myself you can call me a die hard romantic but hey, I believe in love!
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Rhodalyn(f): 5:35pm On Jun 11, 2006
Cuz it exist! kiss kiss
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Shagari2(m): 5:43pm On Jun 11, 2006
Rhodalyn:

yeap!!! we wonna spend da rest Of Our lives together kiss kiss really, he's a gr8t guy, really Caring and stuff, he even wrote a poem 4 me, it's soo pretty and i don't think he's going to disappoint me and neither am i, he's One in a billion!!!

but how did U Guess ma heart has never been broken before U sound smart kiss kiss

aaaarrrrrrrrrrrr, thats really nice, your very lucky, I envy you, wish you the very best!

Tell you one thing I don't envy about you tho, you must really stink spending so much time in their mama's @$$!!!!, phew, I can smell ya from here.
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Genial(m): 5:43pm On Jun 11, 2006
Rhodalyn:

yeap!!! we wonna spend da rest Of Our lives together kiss kiss really, he's a gr8t guy, really Caring and stuff, he even wrote a poem 4 me, it's soo pretty and i don't think he's going to disappoint me and neither am i, he's One in a billion!!!

but how did U Guess ma heart has never been broken before U sound smart kiss kiss

Thank you. I see things. . . .
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Genial(m): 5:44pm On Jun 11, 2006
Shagari2:

aaaarrrrrrrrrrrr, thats really nice, your very lucky, I envy you, wish you the very best!

Tell you one thing I don't envy about you tho, you must really stink spending so much time in their mama's @$$!!!!, phew, I can smell ya from here.

hehehehe
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Genial(m): 5:52pm On Jun 11, 2006
Kinds of Love

Love in English has hundreds of meanings in common usage. “Love” in the Hebrew is expressed by a variety of words which are somewhat broad in their usage:

Dodim: an impulse of heart, sexual attraction
Hamed: desire, covet, lust
'Agav: impure love, doting, lust
Re’a: companionship, friendship
Hesed: mercy and compassion
Hasheq : Strong attachment
Ahav: desire, inclination or affection, whether human or divine

“Love” in the Greek, is expressed by five distinct words having much more precise meanings:

Desire – Attraction (epithumia)
Longing – Romance (eros)
Belonging – Affection (storge)
Cherishing – Friendship (phile)
Selfless Giving – Christian Love (agape)

Which of the above descriptions would best express the 'love' that you are currently experiencing?

I still can't see 'true love' in all of this. cheesy
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Rhodalyn(f): 5:53pm On Jun 11, 2006

Cheers kiss U'll find Urs too and tell U what, it's the most beautiful that could ever happen to a person kiss kiss kiss

lol cheesy  thats real mean U know thats not where i am cheesy

@Genial
kiss kiss kiss
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by ToyM28(f): 8:21pm On Jun 13, 2006
Genial, m experienceing everything except,

Eros
storge cry cry cry cry
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Genial(m): 10:19pm On Jun 13, 2006
ToyM28:

Genial, m experienceing everything except,

Eros
storge cry cry cry cry

Wipe your tears, my playful friend. Monsieur Genial understands.

Can I offer you some storge? You will always be welcome wherever I am!
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by eslynera(f): 10:26pm On Jun 13, 2006
I THINK LOve is a strong desire.
Apart from that, love is feeling some n more, pointless undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Genial(m): 10:33pm On Jun 13, 2006
eslynera:

I THINK LOve is a strong desire.
Apart from that, love is feeling some n more, pointless undecided undecided undecided undecided

Strong desire? Lust also is a strong desire. Also thirst and famishing.

Strong desire for what?

Have you ever been in love? How does it feel?
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by ToyM28(f): 10:45pm On Jun 13, 2006
i want some storge. i need it. wink grin
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Genial(m): 10:47pm On Jun 13, 2006
I just gave you the storge, Toy. Take it!! grin
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Nosu(m): 10:54pm On Jun 13, 2006
love is 1 cor 13

1 Corinthians 13
Love
1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.
4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Genial(m): 10:54pm On Jun 13, 2006
Hmm Nosu. . .

Any personal note for us? angry angry angry
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by ToyM28(f): 11:02pm On Jun 13, 2006
LMAO. tnx for d love. nd ur comment reply nosu was funny
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Genial(m): 11:05pm On Jun 13, 2006
ToyM28:

LMAO. tnx for d love. nd your comment reply nosu was funny

Hehehehe

At least you're that little bit happier. That absolutely makes my day! grin
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Nosu(m): 7:12pm On Jun 14, 2006
@genial - that answers what love is, so l need not to explain or interprete that, as far as u are literate.
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by eslynera(f): 7:22pm On Jun 14, 2006
@Genial, a strong desire for someone, that you really feel so badly,
love is gettin crazy over someone, caring for them, ready to do anything for them,
it's coz ur'e doin outta love. tongue smiley
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Genial(m): 10:03pm On Jun 14, 2006
Nosu:

@genial - that answers what love is, so l need not to explain or interprete that, as far as u are literate.

Oh, I apologise. When I first read your post I thought you were a Christian. Now I realise my mistake. Forgive me.

But, since you clearly don't believe anything in the passage you posted, why did you bother to post it at all?

My question was addressed to those who know, or think they know, the meaning of love.

My apologies once more.
Re: What Is the Meaning of Love? by Genial(m): 10:05pm On Jun 14, 2006
eslynera:

@Genial, a strong desire for someone, that you really feel so badly,
love is gettin crazy over someone, caring for them, ready to do anything for them,
it's because your'e doin out of love. tongue smiley

Hmmm. . . do you love me? If you do, are you ready to do anything for me? cheesy

*Please say yes!!*  grin  grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

3 Things To Do If She Comes Over To Your House And Refuses To Have Sex / Minocycline Could Stop Men From Cheating / Another Nigerian Girl Shares After Sex Photo With Boyfriend, Says "I Love Him"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.