Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:11 AM

Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey - Crime (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey (21982 Views)

Sweden Opened Its Doors To Migrants Today Its The Rape Capital Of The West... / SE Is Crime Capital Of Nigeria - Survey / Thamesmead (aka "Little Lagos"): The Fraud Capital Of The Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by chalxdon(m): 12:45pm On Oct 22, 2013
yunglykmine: Where would you likely be a victim of crime in Nigeria? See the safest and most dangerous states in Nigeria.

Enugu State, in the south east, is the official crime capital of Nigeria[s][/s], a crime perception survey released on Monday in Abuja has said.

[s]At least 70 per cent of respondents to the survey in Enugu admitted they were victims of crime in the past year[/s][s][/s], the 2013 National Crime Victimization and Safety Survey conducted by CLEEN Foundation showed.

The national average was 25 per cent – one in every four Nigerian. The survey showed a progressive decrease in the number of victims of crime in Nigeria.

“There has been a six per cent decrease
in actual experience of crime from the 31 per cent recorded in 2012 to the current 25 percent,” the report said.

The report surveyed for crimes like robbery, kidnapping, physical assault, phone and car theft, rape and attempted rape, domestic violence, attempted murder and other crimes.

The Crime Victimization Survey used data collected across Nigeria between June and July 2013.

Closely following Enugu State is its neighbour, Ebonyi, where at least 65 per cent – at least three in every five residents – were victims of crime.

Ekiti state, in southwest Nigeria, shares the same crime records with Ebonyi State. More than three in every five respondents admitted they were victims of crime last year.

Ogun State, a neighbour to Lagos is the safest state in Nigeria with only about one in every 20 citizens admitting they were victims of crimes last year.

Katsina State in Northwest Nigeria is the next safest. Only about one in every 10 residents was a victim of crime last year.

Lagos State recorded 18 percent.

Borno and Yobe, despite being the hotbed for Boko Haram attacks recorded seemingly low crime rates, according to the report. Only about one in every four resident admitted being victims of crime last year. Boko Haram militants have murdered over 1,500 people in the states since launching a vicious attack against government establishments, security agencies, religious places and the residents.

At a geopolitical level, the South East recorded the highest number of crimes with 44 per cent of respondents complaining they were victims. The North West recorded the lowest score of 18 per cent crime rate.

On a gender scale, more men than women fell victims of crimes in Nigeria last year.

“Further (segregation) by gender indicates that more men (27%) had actual experience than women (23%),” the report said.

Irony of feeling

Although Ogun State recorded the lowest actual experience of crime, almost everyone in the state fear they would become victims of crime.

The findings of the 2013 survey indicated that 94 per cent of Ogun residents fear they are likely victims of crime. In actual sense, only one in 20 was a victim of crime.

On a national scale, more than 7 out of 10 Nigerians had the fear of becoming victims of crime last year.

The people who feel safest are those in
Benue and Taraba States. Only 38 per cent of residents in those state had fears of becoming victims of crime. One in four residents of Benue state were victims of crime last year, and not more than one in every six in Taraba.

“Analysing by gender, 73 percent of
females feared becoming victims of crime compared to 71 percent of males,” the report said.

“Overall, these findings are meant to assist the government, police and the entire criminal justice administration system to better understand emerging trends in crime and safety in Nigeria and consequently, to refine and deploy improved strategies to resolve the country’s current challenges of security and safety,” the authors, CLEEN Foundation, said.

The survey was conducted with support from the Macarthur Foundation.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/147014-enugu-crime-capital-nigeria-survey.html
Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by fursh(m): 12:48pm On Oct 22, 2013
domcarez:

Idi.ota...when you have a yoruba man as oga at the top as executive director,what do u expect? Its you and your likes that refuse to accept the truth...aturu like you always accept and digest the rubbish the press gives out and am sure you have never set foot in enugu....as far as am concerned lagos should top the list coz of the high rate of yoruba street touts (agbero) parading on the streets of lagos....rubbish!

If you're educated enough, you'd know that there're a billion ways you could make your point without insulting someone. This is a public forum and not your personal belonging. Make your point and move on
Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by sheniqua: 12:49pm On Oct 22, 2013
Afam4eva: This report is preposterous. If people want to lie, they should lie with caution. Enugu state is the wrongest state to call the most unsafe, so i don't know how these people arrived at this conclusion. I've noticed some bad reportage of Enugu since international flights started landing and taking of from Enugu and i'm forced to believe that some people are out to tarnish the image of Enugu whichever way they can. First it was Enugu being dirty despite the fact that Enugu is one of the cleanest states in Nigeria and now this. This is the reason why i keep telling more South-Easterners to open more media houses else Igbos will be annihilated with media propaganda.

You are a moderator on this forum
It is about time you folks reined in Mukinatu and her continued campaign against Igbos under the cover of front page news
This nonsense should stop

That or you and other Igbos in that moderating group throw in the towel and bow out gracefully like the other Igbo guy did
do not allow yourselves to be abused

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by Nobody: 12:49pm On Oct 22, 2013
[size=16pt]Enugu International AIRPORT THINGS!
LOLZ
Some People want to commit Suicide by all Means ! grin grin grin grin
[/size]

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by sheniqua: 12:52pm On Oct 22, 2013
KenGali: [size=16pt]Enugu International AIRPORT THINGS!
LOLZ
Some People want to commit Suicide by all Means ! grin grin grin grin
[/size]

They will fail as in times past

1 Like

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by eluquenson(m): 12:54pm On Oct 22, 2013
Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by Evestar200(f): 12:54pm On Oct 22, 2013
ochilikoko: nonsence report. Let dem employ stratify survey research let me see if Delta wount top d rank
which Delta? How many kidnapping,,arm robbery,,and child trafficking,, cases have u heard of in Delta state this year? U shld be talking about Edo state nt Delta
Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by Lilimax(f): 12:55pm On Oct 22, 2013
Tbken: nwanne tinye imi na otele okuko...ighotaa?
grin
Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by Sweetapple007(f): 12:55pm On Oct 22, 2013
There is no safe state in nigeria including lagos ad Abuja where international airport exist! Whethere nigeria like it or not the east has right to exist an internatnal airport. Na dia legal right.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by Kairoseki77: 12:59pm On Oct 22, 2013
Can someone explain what this has to do with Yorubas, or airports?

You just sound embarrassed and are looking to shift the blame.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by Lilimax(f): 1:03pm On Oct 22, 2013
Kairoseki77: Can someone explain what this has to do with Yorubas, or airports?

You just sound embarrassed and are looking to shift the blame.
Whatever group that conducted this research failed woefully angry
Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by karpentar: 1:05pm On Oct 22, 2013
passion007: This is quite an 'interesting' study.
I encourage everyone to take a look at the original results of the report, not the summary given by Premium Times (You'll find the PDF at the Source link), if for nothing else, to disprove the notion that if you wanna hide something from a black man, put it in a book.
The original, unadulterated results are revealing, and I must say kudos to the researchers.
Let me post the findings here:

To begin with, Crime is a spectrum, from phone theft, to physical assault, to kidnapping, to murder.

Fear of Crime(National Average: 72%, ENUGU: 83%)
OGUN (94%) ONDO (94%) GOMBE (93%) YOBE (91%) ANAMBRA (90%)

Actual Experience of Crime:
Robbery (National Average:18%, ENUGU: 19%)
Kaduna: 43%, Akwa Ibom 42%, Cross River 39%, Anambra 32%, Niger 31%

R.ape/Attempted R.ape ( National:5%, SE:1%)
SS-10%, NE-6%, SW 4%, NW-4%, Lagos-3%, NC-3%

Kidnapping/Attempted Kidnapping (National:3%, SE:4%)
SW-5%, Lagos-4%, SE-4%, SS-4%, NW-3%, NE-3%, NC-2%

Physical Assault (National: 33%)
Enugu (84%), Ebonyi (77%), Rivers (58%), Anambra (50%), Ogun (38%)

Domestic Violence (National: 30%)
SE:43%, SW:35%, NE:35%, SS:26%, NC:19%, NW: 19%

Attempted Murder (National:5%, SE:2%)
NE:8%, SS:7%, NW:7%, SW:6%, NC:3%, SE:2%

Theft of Mobile Phone (|National Average: 45%, ENUGU: 45%)
Taraba-64%, Kwara _59%, Abia-57%, Lagos-55%, Kaduna-54%

Car Theft (National: 4%, SE:2%)
NW-6%, SS-5%, Lagos_5%, NE-4%, SW-3%, SE-2%, NC-1%

Armed Violence other than Robbery (National: 4%, SE:1%)
NE:11%, SS-9%, NC-3%, NW-3%, Lagos-2%, SW-1%, SE-1%

My Conclusion:
I have taken the stress of posting these findings as they appear in the original study.
If I have learnt anything from this thread, it's that the campaign of calumny against SouthEasterners is far from imagined. I dont know the guys at Premium Times, and don"t want to speculate what their intents are, but they should certainly be taken seriously.
Igbos need to find out the guys at Premium Times ASAP, those guys are out to destroy you by peddling lies, and distorting research findings to align with their lies .
After all, based on the research findings:

SW is the Kidnap Capital of Nigeria

Besides, a few months ago, we had this report:

http://dailypost.com.ng/2013/05/22/ig-of-police-declares-enugu-safest-state-in-nigeria/

Thank you very much for this revelation. Problem is that people will still stick to their biased views despite this clear report that shows that SW is very unsafe.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by victorD3: 1:06pm On Oct 22, 2013
Lagos then should be the crime capital of the world.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by fursh(m): 1:09pm On Oct 22, 2013
Sweetapple007: There is no safe state in nigeria including lagos ad Abuja where international airport exist! Whethere nigeria like it or not the east has right to exist an internatnal airport. Na dia legal right.

Huh! Innternational airport?? What does that got to do with what the OP's saying?

Please posts like this should be hidden for Christ sake
Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by sheniqua: 1:11pm On Oct 22, 2013
victorD3: Lagos then should be the crime capital oof the world.

No o
Bornu is an uninhabitable war zone but is safe
Yobe where people are murdered in their beds
Even the assassination and rape capitals are safe
Ogun state where armed robbers are even fearful from other more armed robbers is safe
While the most organized and most crime free portion of that rotten nation is declared to be the worst

A state the IG himself declared the safest
Who is fooling who

NdiIgbo shine your eyes
Fool me once shame on you
Fool me twice shame on me

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by hotwax: 1:14pm On Oct 22, 2013
Yorubas showing their true colours.yorubas always resort to propoganda whenever they see competition.they are using the media to tell lies against the aviation minister and enugu state just because they feel threatenend with the emergence of enugu international airport.as we speak,yorubas are already gearing up to launch propoganda against ibaka seaport in akwa ibom state which they see as a threat to lagos port monopoly in the maritime sector.

Who cares about you?

We have the sea and atlantic ocean, we are not jealous of you.

We have the seaport. We have oil shelves. We have cocoa, we have palm oil.

We have no reason to be jealous of nobody who does not matter.

We have the population, we have the market. We are the china. LOL

Nowhere can be like Lagos grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by hotwax: 1:16pm On Oct 22, 2013
karpentar:

Thank you very much for this revelation. Problem is that people will still stick to their biased views despite this clear report that shows that SW is very unsafe.

Even an infant knows kidnapping is a native business of South-east.

Everyday, its kidnapping story. Last week Peter Edoche family was kidnapped. How many have you recorded in Yoruba land? Yes there is, but EAST and SOuth south are the den of kidnappers.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by MOORCHMOORE(m): 1:17pm On Oct 22, 2013
Abeg Cloz this propaganda err analysis angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by hotwax: 1:19pm On Oct 22, 2013
Prof Gday: 1.Igbo and crime
2.Yoruba and rituals
3.Hausa and blood shedding
4.Tiv,Indoma and warfare/tribal clash.

No where is safe in this country especially when arm robbers and dangerous being occupied the govts house. God na ur hand I dey o.

Hey guy. Igbo people engage in the highest money rituals ever. Cannibals.
Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by MOORCHMOORE(m): 1:20pm On Oct 22, 2013
hotwax:

Everyday, its kidnapping story. Last week Peter Edoche family was kidnapped. How many have you recorded in Yoruba land? Yes there is, but EAST and SOuth south are the den of kidnappers.
U be confirm Bongafish okpo
Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by hotwax: 1:23pm On Oct 22, 2013
MOORCH MOORE: U be confirm Bongafish okpo

Sir weree. Face front.
Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by Malawian(m): 1:24pm On Oct 22, 2013
scantee: this people at it again? not my beloved State 042...home of peace and hospitality. what God has written no man can change that. Enugu must prosper. Ala igbo nile ga aga na ilu. proudly son of 042.

are you my guy from marist?
Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by Adrenaline123(m): 1:26pm On Oct 22, 2013
Doff_Man:

All one has to do is read your historic posts to see why some people have problems with Yorubas like you.

You are one of the most biaised and bigoted people on nairaland. I really have to hand it to you, because it takes a lot of "something" to be consistently negative about Igbos; day after day, week after week, year after year. Whenever there's any news relating to Igbos, you ate sure to be there. No letting up, no slipping. It makes we wonder what the end game is? What do you guys (both Igbo and Yoruba) hope to achieve? Score brownie points? An ego thing? Remember there are millions of impressionable youths in Nigeria who now have access to internet and are following these threads. They probably have never had any problems with the other tribe in real life but are now being forced to take sides and believe the other tribe hates them. Its beginig to affect their music (afrobeat) because they believe they all have to take sides (see recent negative comments about psquare, wizkid etc). The once dominant Naija afrobeat is bring polarised along ethnic lines (to the advantage of Ghana) so much that fellow Africans now know that davido is yoruba and flavour is Igbo, when they were previously just Nigerians. Can the same be said of the Ghanaian musicians? Do you know what tribes they belong to? After the music industry, then what next as these millions of youths grow older?

Do you guys actually realise what the results of your crude oil inflated egos are leading to? Is Nigeria ertanally cursed?

tell them!!!
Tomorrow now, if Nigeria manage to win anything(football cup), they will all forget tribal issue, later they will begin again
Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by Cusubaba(m): 1:27pm On Oct 22, 2013
hotwax:

poky i.d.i.o.t! The whole world knows YORUBA land is the headquater of r.a.p.i.s.t, ratualist and assesination. coward lazy agbaro

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by MOORCHMOORE(m): 1:29pm On Oct 22, 2013
hotwax:

Sir weree. Face front.
mind ur fuking buzines, stop medling in tins u dnt knw... Retard
Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by hotwax: 1:29pm On Oct 22, 2013
Cusubaba: poky i.d.i.o.t! The whole world knows YORUBA land is the headquater of r.a.p.i.s.t, ratualist and assesination. coward lazy agbaro

The whole world knows Calabar is the land of Cannibals.
Igbo people are known with money rituals.
Using their siblings for money
Okija saga.

Kidnappers.

Rituals is a known Nigerian syndrome.
Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by hotwax: 1:31pm On Oct 22, 2013
MOORCH MOORE: mind ur fuking buzines, stop medling in tins u dnt knw... Retard

Mud brain. Lemme puleeese
Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by Oildichotomy(m): 1:33pm On Oct 22, 2013
Seriously, i don't know who is more f0olish. Is it the Yorubas or the Igbos??

A survey report was supposedly published, All of a sudden , Igbos on the thread reasoned along ethnic lines as to its origin, bringing wack ideologies to the table.

Some buffoonic Yorubas started shouting uhuru and bragging about how safe their state is.

Infact some Igbos started shifting the ''tagged burden of crime'' to other states like Delta and Edo.

What cowardice??

Scientists should start their research on Nigerian Common Sense and probably distribute it free to some tribal bigots from all sides of the divide.

Obviously, common sense is not too common in these parts.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by Sweetapple007(f): 1:34pm On Oct 22, 2013
fursh:

Huh! Innternational airport?? What does that got to do with what the OP's saying?

Please posts like this should be hidden for Christ sake
must u quot me can't u read ad pass. Get flushed!
Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by hotwax: 1:35pm On Oct 22, 2013
Oildichotomy^:
Seriously, i don't know who is more f0olish. Is it the Yorubas or the Igbos??

A survey report was supposedly published, All of a sudden , Igbos on the thread reasoned along ethnic lines as to its origin, bringing wack ideologies to the table.

Some buffoonic Yorubas started shouting uhuru and bragging about how safe their state is.

Infact some Igbos started shifting the ''tagged burden of crime'' to other states like Delta and Edo.

What cowardice??

Scientists should start their research on Nigerian Common Sense and probably distribute it free to some tribal bigots from all sides of the divide.

Obviously, common sense is not too common in these parts.

If you read the thread. First ten comments. Igbo claimed they were targeted by Yorubas. they claimed the survey was carried out by Yorubas. Reason like an intellect you claimed to be.

I was watching the thread until I saw ethnic bashing. Thats why I joined too
Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by Cusubaba(m): 1:41pm On Oct 22, 2013
Cusubaba: poky i.d.i.o.t! The whole world knows YORUBA land is the headquater of r.a.p.i.s.t, ratualist and assassition. coward lazy agbaro
Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by Malawian(m): 1:42pm On Oct 22, 2013
sheniqua:

No o
Bornu is an uninhabitable war zone but is safe
Yobe where people are murdered in their beds
Even the assassination and rape capitals are safe
Ogun state where armed robbers are even fearful from other more armed robbers is safe
While the most organized and most crime free portion of that rotten nation is declared to be the worst

A state the IG himself declared the safest
Who is fooling who

NdiIgbo shine your eyes
Fool me once shame on you
Fool me twice shame on me

this is the kind of thread we seriously need osisi, but we will make do with you.

your style no bad at all. grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Police Declare Amina Mukta Missing In Minna (Photo) / PCRRU: How To Report The Unlawful Actions Of Nigerian Police officers / Driver Steals His Boss' N100,000, 'Invest' In Betnaija, Lands In Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.