Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,727 members, 7,824,054 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:28 PM

Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? (22923 Views)

Must You Add Maggi When Cooking Beans.......is It Hygienic ?? / Suya Sellers Dont Eat Suya. / How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by iamdsam: 7:26am On Oct 29, 2013
segunoz: It is hygienic, once you soak it in dettol solution.... Yummy afterwards!
Lol... Good idea. It would make it damn too hygienic. I'll try it right away. I would give you results
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by carlvon: 8:00am On Oct 29, 2013
if the suya is properly heated before your served,then i think its a little bit hygienic because pathogenic micro organisms that will cause sickness may not survive that heat.
so when buying suya, just make sure its hot.
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by Nobody: 8:22am On Oct 29, 2013
@OP show me one person who doesn't eat suya cos it's unhygienic, i'd show you a Guy who doesn't masturbate
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by michealade(m): 8:41am On Oct 29, 2013
The rice ur eatin zit hygienic?
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by buoye1(m): 9:04am On Oct 29, 2013
Weda u lik it or not...I love suya nd Suya loves me too
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by OduntanGabriel(m): 9:06am On Oct 29, 2013
[quote author=pDude]Abegi jare

For a while now I have been craving sits but due to my geographical location, I can't obtain it.

It all depends on how it is stored and fired.

I tend to let my suya fry on the fire longer than usual. I also microwave it when I get home

Aseju leleyi oooo microwave bawo?
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by Lilimax(f): 9:16am On Oct 29, 2013
iterator25: If you buy suya at the beach, two thingz are involved it's either you're eating a horse or your neighbour
grin
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by Lilimax(f): 9:18am On Oct 29, 2013
Iceman296: ..Suya is Too Exposed, Especially Those Dirty Abokis.

Sometimes I wonder if the Nutrients Derived From Suya is Different From those in Fried Meat!
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by seangy4konji: 9:19am On Oct 29, 2013
Suya yen sha.....with bread or garri....or suya with Heineken....HygieneNa woman name be dat uhn?
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by xJaysonx(m): 9:22am On Oct 29, 2013
Thanks for this thread.

I stopped eating Suya when this happened.

We moved into a new apartment and in that area there was this Suya man along the main road. On the first day I saw my friend off so he could get some Suya for himself when we got to the Mallam and he ordered for some Suya the Mallam noticed the fire was not blazing very well so he decided to use the air from his mouth to blow the coal so it will get hotter and in the process he was blowing the Suya as well. But when I saw this Mallam's teeth they were terribly discoloured (deep brown and black colour) so I wondered how his breath would be. Well, I kept cool and didn't say a word cos it was friend who was buying and he didn't even care. On a certain day, I was passing the same Suya man along the road and I saw him use his bare hand to blow some thick "carter" or "mucor" out of his nostrils and he just cleaned his hands on his shirt and immediately used that same hand to turn his Suya (I was like..."my goodness", I don't think I will let my friends buy this Suya again"). Then the grand finale happened when I was sitting at a bar close to the Suya Man's spot and this man went to urinate at the corner of a car, used his two hands to bring out his stuff, held it firmly while urinating and when done he rubbed and flogged his stuff continuously like he was being paid for that. And after, without washing his hands he flogged, raised and rubbed his same hands on his Suya. In short, he just used his Suya as his soap/detergent and water to wash his hands.

From that day, that Mallam destroyed my appetite from/for eating Suya.

1 Like

Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by Sike(m): 9:29am On Oct 29, 2013
Oh Suya! My sweet Suya!!
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by Creamish(f): 9:51am On Oct 29, 2013
x Jayson x: Thanks for this thread.

I stopped eating Suya when this happened.

We moved into a new apartment and in that area there was this Suya man along the main road. On the first day I saw my friend off so he could get some Suya for himself when we got to the Mallam and he ordered for some Suya the Mallam noticed the fire was not blazing very well so he decided to use the air from his mouth to blow the coal so it will get hotter and in the process he was blowing the Suya as well. But when I saw this Mallam's teeth they were terribly discoloured (deep brown and black colour) so I wondered how his breath would be. Well, I kept cool and didn't say a word cos it was friend who was buying and he didn't even care. On a certain day, I was passing the same Suya man along the road and I saw him use his bare hand to blow some thick "carter" or "mucor" out of his nostrils and he just cleaned his hands on his shirt and immediately used that same hand to turn his Suya (I was like..."my goodness", I don't think I will let my friends buy this Suya again"wink. Then the grand finale happened when I was sitting at a bar close to the Suya Man's spot and this man went to urinate at the corner of a car, used his two hands to bring out his stuff, held it firmly while urinating and when done he rubbed and flogged his stuff continuously like he was being paid for that. And after, without washing his hands he flogged, raised and rubbed his same hands on his Suya. In short, he just used his Suya as his soap/detergent and water to wash his hands.

From that day, that Mallam destroyed my appetite from/for eating Suya.

How many of ur friends can you actually vouch that they wash their hands when done from the toilet? or use a clean hanky when sneezing? . . . u dont ask questions before u shake a client or ur friends. Dont let that spoil ur appetite dude. Im sure ul still pick ur chicken when ur alone and it falls on the floor . . . what dosnt kill u makes u stronger abi? Meat na protein oo . wink

2 Likes

Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by sharubutu(m): 10:07am On Oct 29, 2013
doti no dey kill African.
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by Anvaller: 10:55am On Oct 29, 2013
Afam4eva:
You should be worried whether or not the meat is washed before it is roasted and not whether or not Suya is hygienic.

Exactly, the OP's question is somehow improperly framed. Eating Suya itself can't be hygienic in this context. He should have asked whether it was healthy to eat Suya due to the seemingly unhygienic way of preparing it.
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by Anvaller: 10:57am On Oct 29, 2013
sharubutu: doti no dey kill African.

Of course now, that explains why we have such a low life expectancy... lol

2 Likes

Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by iamdsam: 11:48am On Oct 29, 2013
sbaks: people of old (bible to be precised) ate red meat (or suya if you want) and lived long and were strong. I like suya and kilishi. hmmm! Yummy!
You dey during the time of Noah
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by iamdsam: 11:51am On Oct 29, 2013
iterator25: If you buy suya at the beach, two thingz are involved it's either you're eating a horse or your neighbour
Like seriously Lol!
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by iamdsam: 11:54am On Oct 29, 2013
pDude: Abegi jare

For a while now I have been craving sits but due to my geographical location, I can't obtain it.

It all depends on how it is stored and fired.

I tend to let my suya fry on the fire longer than usual. I also microwave it when I get home
You for better go buy and kill your own cow and prepare your own suya by yourself o!
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by iamdsam: 11:56am On Oct 29, 2013
emmysam2: @ OP, Suya has been consumed from time immemoriam. Have you ever heard anyone falling sick after eating suya?
Pls what are you driving at? undecided
How would you know?
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by Redman44(m): 11:58am On Oct 29, 2013
I love Suya Jare cool cool cool cool!!
Suya, Suya, Suyaya cool cool cool

There is this Mallam at the Omole Housing Estate, Junction, Omole, Ikeja. The Suya of that Mallam is amazing. There are two Mallams selling Suya at the main gate of the Estate. I'm talking about the Mallam at the left hand side of the gate area. Then I love the Suya at Allen Avenue, Ikeja. Yes, the name of the place is 'The University of Suya'. I love Suya that is well prepared with lots of Chilli and Onions sprinkled on it. And the way Suya is prepared in Northern Nigeria is a wee bit different from the way it is made in the South. The Northern Suya strips are much bigger than the ones down South. Maybe it is because meat is cheaper in the Hausa-Fulani-Kanuri States of Nigeria. What do you think?
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by iamdsam: 12:06pm On Oct 29, 2013
telim: really responding to this topic is un-hygienic.
Endtime response!
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by iamdsam: 12:10pm On Oct 29, 2013
::Andrew:::
The funny thing is no one ask what meat the suya is made of.
Na cow meat be the normal meat nah
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by iamdsam: 12:20pm On Oct 29, 2013
Donvilo: I think the real question here is; "From which animal meat was the suya delicacy made from? undecided
From crocodile meat. You don here
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by iamdsam: 12:27pm On Oct 29, 2013
benzion72: Made me remember a story on BB that went viral some years back of a boy infested with HIV, only to discovered that the Mum and Dad are negative. A further probe reveal that he eat a suya whose seller had a cut on his hand and not well managed (You know how those mallam can be dirty). Unfortunately I remember I bought Suya with a Malam who has a cut with a plaster on. My mind never get rest until I went for HIV test, ever since I have being running from suya
On a serious note, the suya isn't hygienic. I've seen several suya joints here in Warri where these Mallams prepare this soya. If you take a lil visit where this suya is been prepared, I don't think most people here would fancy suya anymore. These mallams don. t give the suya a proper wash before the roasting and the materials and local tools they use in the preparation of the suya is nothing to write home about.
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by iamdsam: 12:39pm On Oct 29, 2013
imolore: i only eat the onions, carbage, letus etc and leaves the suya meat(dog, vulture, cow, horse, camel etc) for the women to eat. U never can tell wich meat u are eating, so i enjoy seeing their faces and mouth as they mulch while i eat the vegetables.
Na wah for you o! Why you nor kuku go buy vegetable for market cook eat You funny sha!
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by iamdsam: 12:41pm On Oct 29, 2013
emma bowin: Smoke has since been linked to cancer.therefore smoked meat including suya,barbecue are possible cause of cancer.
I've never heard of smoke causing cancer. If true, then many Nigerians are on the verge of getting cancer
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by iamdsam: 1:06pm On Oct 29, 2013
Creamish:

How many of ur friends can you actually vouch that they wash their hands when done from the toilet? or use a clean hanky when sneezing? . . . u dont ask questions before u shake a client or ur friends. Dont let that spoil ur appetite dude. Im sure ul still pick ur chicken when ur alone and it falls on the floor . . . what dosnt kill u makes u stronger abi? Meat na protein oo . wink
See talk o!
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by Adunbi2(m): 1:07pm On Oct 29, 2013
Suya is gud 4 person undey the age of 50, for christ sake if u are 50 and above stop eaten meat
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by boban007: 1:10pm On Oct 29, 2013
university of suya.
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by iamdsam: 1:13pm On Oct 29, 2013
Adunbi2: Suya is gud 4 person undey the age of 50, for christ sake if u are 50 and above stop eaten meat
Many aged people above 50 do eat suya alot which isn't good at that age for health sake.
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by Creamish(f): 1:26pm On Oct 29, 2013
undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Is It Hygienic To Eat Suya? by Yemlizzy(f): 1:57pm On Oct 29, 2013
Most people aint too bothered about Suya being hygienic or not since its so tasty and sumptous......Naija all the way!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Is The Tastiest Nigerian Delicacy / Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya / What's The Cheapest Food You've Ever Cooked?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.