Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,717 members, 7,824,033 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:55 PM

Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks (12249 Views)

Apologize Within 7 Days Or Face Yoruba Gods, OPC Tells Apc’s Spokesperson / Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London / Presidency Sets-up Task-force On Ezekwesili's Remarks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by harmless(m): 7:44am On Oct 26, 2013
ifebosco: idio t.how was america build after 1945 second world war??go and read your history books

Easy bro, y must u insult someone ontop of dis issue na, and what does american war 1945 has to do wit dis,, hope we are okay....
Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by iknopro(m): 7:53am On Oct 26, 2013
ogugua88:

An offensive remark was made in my country about my country of origin by a senator voted to public office. That could be why. He needs to be held accountable.

Who is this Ogugua, I love this Ogugua, you are so Patriotic. Ndi anakpo Ogugua n' enyekwanu nsogbu.

1 Like

Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by Nobody: 8:02am On Oct 26, 2013
Rubbish! There should be no apology whatsoever from Cruz. Actually the guy spoke the truth and his statement should have the effect of protecting unsuspecting Americans from the mischief of Nigerian fraudsters.
I have a feeling that this is more about a left wing protectionist agenda. Nothing to do with real patriotism at all.
Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by Nobody: 8:09am On Oct 26, 2013
You all asking for an apology will cover yoir head in shame when you realise how many scam mails are beiing sent by "yahoo boys" as we speak

1 Like

Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by ocelot2006(m): 8:17am On Oct 26, 2013
Signed. Good job Ogugua

1 Like

Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by optimistD(m): 8:33am On Oct 26, 2013
Signed X 10 raised to the power of 10

1 Like

Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by Abbey2sam(m): 8:52am On Oct 26, 2013
Pls what did he say about nigeria

1 Like

Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by duya: 9:04am On Oct 26, 2013
Rctophobby.com is a professional online dealer selling Radio Control Products including
RC Helicopters [url="http://www.rctophobby.com/rc-helicopters.html"] mini rc helicopter[/url]
Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by lastpage: 9:38am On Oct 26, 2013
shymexx: If he doesn't apologise, then what?

Whatever happened to the petition about the "child marriage law?"

Nigerians and focusing on the most trivial things. He said whatever he said, so what? How about sign petitions against those who destroyed the past, present and future of those millions of Nigerians sending spam mails everywhere? Charity they say begins at home. Ted Cruz has never hurt any Nigerian, neither has he stolen from Nigerians. He was speaking metaphorically, or should I say, figuratively. And he owes no one an apology.

I guess I'll never understand the mentality/experience of Nigerians
PS: Pls, leave my post alone, if you can't discuss the topic. "Diss me and I won't reply" - Drake.

I am going to "leave your post alone" but the bolded part of your post indicates that you know not, what you are yearning about.

...except you believe that ALL NIGERIANS are SCAMMERS?

...to associate "scam" with the "nation Nigeria" ... is an insult to ALL hardworking Nigerians (and it hurts!) and it is OFFENSIVE to our sensibilities.

"SOME" Nigerians are scammers, ... just like "some Americans" are scammers but would l be right to say or imply that "Americans are scammers"?

Dont think so.

If he wants to "speak figuratively", why not use "Americans" as his figure of speech?
Figurative koo, figurine nii.

Okay, l have left your post alone. No dissing.

Lastpage!

BTW: if you want to talk of "real scam", you need to try the East Europeans.... but since they are "white", l guess they are off the radar.
better to tarnish "black people" ....who dont actually value themselves anyway, ...than tarnish a white person. wink
Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by sammycarz(m): 9:54am On Oct 26, 2013
Seriously yu got me laughin.
Oga Carrot: Send me MTN 100 naira first..

cool
Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by Nobody: 10:11am On Oct 26, 2013
lastpage:

I am going to "leave your post alone" but the bolded part of your post indicates that you know not, what you are yearning about.

...except you believe that ALL NIGERIANS are SCAMMERS?

...to associate "scam" with the "nation Nigeria" ... is an insult to ALL hardworking Nigerians (and it hurts!) and it is OFFENSIVE to our sensibilities.

"SOME" Nigerians are scammers, ... just like "some Americans" are scammers but would l be right to say or imply that "Americans are scammers"?

Dont think so.

If he wants to "speak figuratively", why not use "Americans" as his figure of speech?
Figurative koo, figurine nii.

Okay, l have left your post alone. No dissing.

Lastpage!

BTW: if you want to talk of "real scam", you need to try the East Europeans.... but since they are "white", l guess they are off the radar.
better to tarnish "black people" ....who dont actwhite senatorually value themselves anyway, ...than tarnish a white person. wink

Racial politics! Racism! Race this, Race that.What is it about those on the left and their predilection for always seeing things through the prism of race? undecided
Abegi stop spewing hot air there! grin
Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by 1forall: 10:44am On Oct 26, 2013
From where I stand I don't really care much for Cruz's apology but I suppose it'll feel good to hear it on the news so I'll sign anyway - it doesn't really cost anything to lend my signature to this.

Now if we look deeper to what's being said by some Nigerians on this thread, we see a situation where someone has started a petition to protect a Nigerian interest, trivial or not, and it still gets criticized by some Nigerians. To those saying there are more important things for Nigerians to worry about, have you done anything about those things? Why not start your own petition for what you care about and come here to promote it?

Currently there is a petition to Goodluck Jonathan and ASUU to End ASUU Strike Now The petition has only 283 signatures! You haven't signed, or have you? Guess what? You probably won't. And that's how Nigerians' apathy has become a great contributor to Nigerias problems. Nigerians claim to love Nigeria but really don't care. However you can sign here: http://chn.ge/1gznRfu

Many petitions have been started in the past over Nigerian issues with virtually no response from Nigerians. Check Petition to stop under-aged child marriage with 201 signatures! You didn't sign, or did you? Well you can still sign here: http://chn.ge/1a6ZdPd. There is also a Petition to the US, UK, German, South African & UAE embassies to deny visas to convicted public fund looters with a pathetic 1992 signatures! You didn't sign, or did you? Again you can still sign here: http://chn.ge/11qf21o

In contrast there is a Petition to David Cameron: Stop the 11% pay rise for UK Legislators' Salaries with 134,562 signatures! If they raise 150,000 signatures the matter would have to be debated over in parliament. Do you see the contrast? And for good measure, there is also a Petition to Pay Student Interns Working In Parliament Instead of Increasing Legislators' Salaries which has raised 28,476 signatures!

Apathy won't make our problems go away and we ought to be more involved in these affairs or just stop complaining about them altogether.

1 Like

Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by Nobody: 10:53am On Oct 26, 2013
1forall:
Now if we look deeper to what's being said by some Nigerians on this thread, we see a situation where someone has started a petition to protect a Nigerian interest, trivial or not, and it still gets criticized by some Nigerians. To those saying there are more important things for Nigerians to worry about, have you done anything about those things?
You don't get it , do you? undecided undecided undecided Its all about image, image, image!!! What we should be concerned about is the day to day reality on the ground in Nigeria itself.
Anyway for the OP who is actually an American, how she is perceived by her fellow Americans is of course very important to her. cool
However as someone has said Nigeria has far more pressing issues than this.
Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by 1forall: 11:24am On Oct 26, 2013
tensor777: However as someone has said Nigeria has far more pressing issues than this.

Yes, like the 3 month old ASUU strike. Have you signed the petition?

1 Like

Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by zikclassiq(m): 12:47pm On Oct 26, 2013
SIGNED!

1 Like

Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by hayubee(m): 3:33pm On Oct 26, 2013
. Observing
Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by hayubee(m): 3:34pm On Oct 26, 2013
Imagine pot calling kettle black
Wat do u expect from a country where a mad man has license to use a gun cos its being managed by mad men
Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by Dibiachukwu: 10:23pm On Oct 26, 2013
biafranqueen: Don't you get it this makes it harder for us to bring in investors that will create jobs in Nigeria. That is my biggest obstacle, the fear of fraud, I din't blame you people most of you are just looking for jobs and don't care how hard it is to create them!
Yet another "foreign investor" crusader.

1 Like

Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by CGKing(m): 5:11am On Oct 27, 2013
ogugua88: A petition has been created on change.org to make Senator Cruz aware that he has offended the Nigerian community and needs to apologize for his distasteful remarks.

Nigeria may not be perfect, but neither is any nation. Our imperfection gives no one any right to mud sling us, most especially a US senator, egwho is supposedly esteemed.

Please sign!

Senator Ted Cruz, Apologize For Your Offensive Remarks to the Nigerian Community!

Yeah right, when we come sign your hopeless petition, come help make life better for una for yonder, una come relax dey chop, forget where una come from, come dey speak phonetics like say una no know wetin we dey Yan. Come even dey make youtube video of why una no wan come NAija again. Abeg leave something.

2 Likes

Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by Nobody: 9:59am On Oct 27, 2013
barcanista: Bros I've never heard a white man call himself American-Nigerian or British-Congolese, why is she attaching two nationalities to herself as if she's the first?

Because thats what she is. Shes American and Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by Nobody: 10:00am On Oct 27, 2013
biafranqueen: kiss

Are you the one that had your nudes leaked all over the internet or is that a different Biafran Queen?
Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by Vires: 11:39am On Oct 27, 2013
The truth is always bitter!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by Nobody: 9:06pm On Oct 27, 2013
1. It’s unfortunate that we’re living in a time where just about every joke can be misconstrued to cause offense to someone.
2. To the good people of Nigeria — a beautiful nation where my wife lived briefly as the child of missionaries — no offense was intended.
3. I am fully appreciative of the range of mutual economic and security interests that make Nigeria an important friend to the United States.
4. And even to those few unscrupulous email scammers who were the subject of the joke, I apologize to you for the unfair comparison to the utterly dysfunctional Obamacare website.
.........................Senator Ted Cruz

1 Like

Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by ifyalways(f): 9:11pm On Oct 27, 2013
Prof Corruption: 1. It’s unfortunate that we’re living in a time where just about every joke can be misconstrued to cause offense to someone.
2. To the good people of Nigeria — a beautiful nation where my wife lived briefly as the child of missionaries — no offense was intended.
3. I am fully appreciative of the range of mutual economic and security interests that make Nigeria an important friend to the United States.
4. And even to those few unscrupulous email scammers who were the subject of the joke, I apologize to you for the unfair comparison to the utterly dysfunctional Obamacare website.
.........................Senator Ted Cruz
Did he say all that for real undecided
Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by Nobody: 9:13pm On Oct 27, 2013
ifyalways:
Did he say all that for real undecided

Yeah.
Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by ifyalways(f): 9:20pm On Oct 27, 2013
Prof Corruption:

Yeah.
Good to know. This can pass as a genuine,heartfelt apology.

Oya Ogugua,send me recharge card for signing that petition fifty times. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by Nobody: 10:53pm On Oct 27, 2013
kingoflag:

Because thats what she is. Shes American and Nigerian.
and she's the first?
Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by Nobody: 11:03pm On Oct 27, 2013
Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by Nobody: 11:49pm On Oct 27, 2013
ifyalways: Good to know. This can pass as a genuine,heartfelt apology.

Oya Ogugua,send me recharge card for signing that petition fifty times. cheesy

Sure! After Prof Corruption blesses us with a credible source lol.
Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by Nobody: 12:01am On Oct 28, 2013
ogugua88:

Sure! After Prof Corruption blesses us with a credible source lol.

Nigerian government not happy with Ted Cruz
Friday, October 25, 2013

A joke from Texas Sen. Ted Cruz comparing the failure of the Obamacare website to Nigerian email scams is not sitting well with the Nigerian government, who called it unfair to use a nation as the brunt of a joke.

Politico reported Thursday that the Nigerian ambassador to the United States, Ade Adefuye, is demanding an apology from Cruz for disappointing and offending Nigerians, and disparaging a country for political points.

Cruz made the remark on Monday during a welcome-home event in Houston, lambasting the Obamacare website for its failures upon roll-out.

“You may have noticed that all the Nigerian email scammers have become a lot less active lately,” he said. “They all have been hired to run the Obamacare website.”

The Nigerian ambassador said he understood Cruz’s attempt to rile up his support base, but was surprised when Cruz did not deny what he said.

“To allow him to ridicule a country and its citizens is completely over the top,” Adefuye said. “He should not denigrate Nigerians in order to appease these domestic constituents.”

Catherine Frazier, a spokesperson for Cruz, said the remark was meant to be a joke and referred to all email scams, not specifically those from Nigeria.

UPDATE, 4:30 p.m.: Cruz’s office issued a statement from the Senator saying no offense was intended by the remark.

“It’s unfortunate that we’re living in a time where just about every joke can be misconstrued to cause offense to someone. To the good people of Nigeria — a beautiful nation where my wife lived briefly as the child of missionaries — no offense was intended. I am fully appreciative of the range of mutual economic and security interests that make Nigeria an important friend to the United States. And even to those few unscrupulous email scammers who were the subject of the joke, I apologize to you for the unfair comparison to the utterly dysfunctional Obamacare website.”

http://blog.chron.com/txpotomac/2013/10/nigerian-government-not-happy-with-ted-cruz/
http://nigeriavillagesquare.com/news/ted-cruz-apologizes-after-protest-from-nigerian-ambassador.html

1 Like

Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by Nobody: 3:54am On Oct 28, 2013
I wonder why that's only being reported by a few Nigerian blogs and sites.
Re: Petition: Make Senator Cruz Apologize For His Offensive Remarks by Nobody: 4:28am On Oct 28, 2013
ogugua88: I wonder why that's only being reported by a few Nigerian blogs and sites.

You want it splash on front page of New York Times? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Imo Courts, Assembly Complex Shut As Workers Begin Indefinite Strike / PMB's Men Plot Capture Of Petroleum Sector With Controversial Appointments / Bukola Saraki, James Ibori, Kingibe, Others Framed Iyabo For Corruption—Obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.