Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,801 members, 7,810,086 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:25 PM

Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government (2715 Views)

Ghana Pulls Down Jonathan, Buhari Billboards / 2015: Be Patient, I Won’t Let You Down, Jonathan Tells Campaign Groups / Boko-Haram's Plot To Shoot-down Jonathan’s Plane Foiled (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by Nobody: 8:47am On Nov 09, 2013
By Tokunbo Adedoja and Adebiyi Adedapo
Benue State Governor, Gabriel Suswam, has alleged that the strike embarked upon by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) was aimed at bringing down the government of President Goodluck Jonathan.

In an interview with THISDAY, Suswam, who is the chairman of the Federal Government's Needs Assessment Committee for Nigerian Universities said: "ASUU’s leadership is determined that PDP government must be brought down and the easiest way to do it is ensuring that every family is affected. And so, the Nigerian family will simply say, ‘look, to keep this government in place, our children will be out of school. So it is better that we kick this government out and bring another government.’

"That is all they are doing. There is nothing to it. Otherwise, the Federal Government has touched on all the requests that led to the strike by ASUU. They have no basis rather than playing politics with the strike and then holding the nation hostage and destroying the future of this country."

Buttressing his claim, Suswam said: "I feel that if it is not that they have introduced politics, you know people can't say that they don't have political leanings. ASUU’s leadership, we know where they are standing in this whole political process. They can't deny that they are sympathising with opposition parties and they are determined to destroy the PDP government. That is what they are doing and it is nothing more than that."

The Benue State governor, who had attended several meetings with ASUU on government side, said the nine issues raised by the academic union had been attended to, though not 100 per cent.

He said: "I think that it is unfair. And I keep saying it that they have introduced politics into it. It's purely political. There is no way that any person can say any other thing. It is just to portray the government in bad light so that people will say that you have a government that is not capable of keeping the children in school. That is pure politics. There is nothing more to it because if you present nine issues and all of them have been attended to, even if not attended to 100 per cent, at least you should appreciate that efforts have been made and you should say that it is okay because this has been done.

"There were a lot of issues that were presented. Constitution of governing councils has been done; they said they should help them set up pension administrator, N250 million was given to them; they said they wanted the properties of universities handed over to them, government said go and form companies and compete, we will do that. You know a couple of other things, the need assessment, an initial N100 billion has been distributed.

"The retirement age, they say they don't want to retire at 65, it has been approved, all the academic staff in the university retire at 70. Earned allowance, out of N57 billion, N30 billion has been given."

Suswam said the issue that had kept the universities closed were not because government could not pay salaries but the earned allowances, adding, "Academic staffs of universities collect more than civil servants in this country.... They have been paying that consistently and nobody is being owed salary. These are issues of allowance.

"This earned allowance; it is not every lecturer in the university that is entitled to it. So, why must it be a reason why you keep the children out of school? It doesn't make sense and I am surprised most Nigerian are looking at this differently. If in a nation, the whole leaders of tomorrow are being kept out of school, then its means that in future, you can imagine the kind of leaders we would have."

Recalling his involvement in the efforts to resolve the crisis in the Nigerian university system, Suswam said when he was invited by the President to chair the Needs Assessment part of the ASUU strike, he took the responsibility very seriously.

"Out of this three weeks, may be I spent like just four days in Benue because I was determined that we must raise money for this Needs Assessment. And within those three weeks, that committee which I chaired was able to raise the N100 billion, which has since been shared. Once we shared that money, this people (ASUU) moved to other areas; which is issue of earned allowances, which was being handled by the SGF", he said.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/suswam-ASUU-wants-to-bring-down-jonathan-s-government/163813/

1 Like

Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by ezefrank87(m): 9:05am On Nov 09, 2013
ASUU,hv mercy on us,biko help us 2 graduate this calendar year becos age is no longer on our side oooooooooh. I use allah n jesus beg una.abi una go build companies wey go absorb peeps wey don old huh.

Wait ooooooooooooooo

Na me ftc?
I can see my life turning around grin
Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by bennygreat1(m): 9:11am On Nov 09, 2013
This is just a clear picture of insincerity in OUR so called LEADERS of this NATION. ASUU is insincere,so is the F.G... Buh God is Watching!! smileyThis is just a clear picture of insincerity in OUR so called LEADERS of this NATION. ASUU is insincere,so is the F.G... Buh God is Watching!!
Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by Nobody: 9:12am On Nov 09, 2013
On a scale of 1/10, pls my Benue peeps, pls rate Gov. Suswam in terms of meaningful development.
Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by Garrithe1st: 9:14am On Nov 09, 2013
They can't deny that they are sympathising with opposition parties and they are determined to destroy the PDP government.

As usual we have to put the blame on APC... cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by owolabifunke14(f): 9:16am On Nov 09, 2013
ASUU's demands are high but since our oyel money still dey flow make FG drop money for them ni grin

1 Like

Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by Nobody: 9:18am On Nov 09, 2013
who is Suswam? The foo.l that is presently fighting teachers and primary school pupils in Benue over 18,000, the thief that was in charge of the first set of discussions with ASUU, this idio.t wanted his committee to start awarding contracts for hostels so they can steal half of the fund. God punish Suswan. Nigerian students should brace up for higher fees. Unaab acceptance fee is now 45,000

8 Likes

Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by takedat(m): 9:29am On Nov 09, 2013
Now I see why ASUU does not completely trust the Government. This alleged WAEC certificate forger and disseminator of unadulterated falsehood claim N100billion has been shared, even though It is public knowledge that the universities are yet to receive a kobo from the N100billion. Government sponsored propaganda is not helping matters at all. Unfortunately, the propaganda is being spewed by those who have no modicum of integrity.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/10/ASUU-strike-re-yet-receive-n100bn-fg-vcs/

A thief would always think that every other person is a thief. Since every thing to politicians is all about politics, it is commonplace to hear politicians imbecillic rants, ascribing their failings or stupidity as 'politically motivated'. Na opposition sign the agreement?
All the members of ASUU are united in pushing for the implementation of the 2009 agreement, including those from the President's region and Federal University Otuoke! The greedy crooks in Government should stop playing the 'Victim', and ASUU should consider the plight of both parents and students who are the real victims.

9 Likes

Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by israel007: 9:59am On Nov 09, 2013
emmy-richie:
On a scale of 1/10, pls my Benue peeps, pls rate Gov. Suswam in terms of meaningful development.

I'd rate first: on a scale of 1-10, 10 being excellent and 1 being oh no, I'd rate him at 0 being psssst!
Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by Nobody: 10:00am On Nov 09, 2013
Btw Suswam and David Mark, who is the bigger devil? thieves

2 Likes

Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by LadyExcellency: 10:18am On Nov 09, 2013
As usual, call him names and consequently change the thread topic.

Your interest is the denominator in your comment.

Obiagelli: Btw Suswam and David Mark, who is the bigger devil? thieves
Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by Nobody: 10:23am On Nov 09, 2013
Lady Excellency: As usual, call him names and consequently change the thread topic.

Your interest is the denominator in your comment.

would you want a beautiful debate on the topic sis?
Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by Kajiang02(m): 10:23am On Nov 09, 2013
Suswam, as much as I don't see much meaningful advancement in the lives of Benue State indigenes. You may not so wrong on this.
This ASUU thing is already and eyesore. Get it fixed and tie all loose ends let oppositions have nothing to hit back at GEJ.
Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by Dollarman101: 10:45am On Nov 09, 2013
I agree with SUSWAM on this one. ASUU is playing politics with this ASUU strike.
The problems in our educational system didn't not start under Jonathan. The 2009 Agreement preceded his tenure as President.
Yet he has committed money to solving it more than any other president in our history.
Since this strike began, govt has been in talks with ASUU through several negotiation teams. they have offered ASUU 100 billion for infrastructure and 30 Billion for earned allowances yet ASUU is adamant. Which other administration in Nigeria has coughed out this much to give to ASUU?
Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by means(m): 10:48am On Nov 09, 2013
The laour laws in Nigeria need to e reviewed ASAP. I dont see why ASUU should be receiving salaries when they have refused to apply common sense and call off this strike. If the govt has made some concession, it is only natural that ASUU reciprocate. In as much as I disagree that ASUU is being influenced by the opposition, I think they have lost support in the court of pulic opinion.
Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by Mynd44: 10:54am On Nov 09, 2013
Dollarman101: I agree with SUSWAM on this one. ASUU is playing politics with this ASUU strike.
The problems in our educational system didn't not start under Jonathan. The 2009 Agreement preceded his tenure as President.

Yet he has committed money to solving it more than any other president in our history.
Since this strike began, govt has been in talks with ASUU through several negotiation teams. they have offered ASUU 100 billion for infrastructure and 30 Billion for earned allowances yet ASUU is adamant. Which other administration in Nigeria has coughed out this much to give to ASUU?
You keep forgetting that it was GEJ who brokered the agreement in 2009. Why os he saying the agreement he signed himself cannot be implemented?

2 Likes

Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by omenka(m): 10:56am On Nov 09, 2013
", that committee which I chaired was able to raise the N100 billion, which has since been shared."

Lie from the pit of hell!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by Mynd44: 10:57am On Nov 09, 2013
omenka: ", that committee which I chaired was able to raise the N100 billion, which has since been shared."

Lie from the pit of hell!!!!!!!!
Thats their mode of operation

3 Likes

Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by LordMecuzy(m): 11:08am On Nov 09, 2013
Even Suswam Dey Talk? God Bless Makurdi, God Bless Benue, tho No Development in Benue, But We Thank God He Has Finished His Nice Benue Metropolitan Hotel in Makurdi

3 Likes

Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by dridowu: 11:11am On Nov 09, 2013
No amount is too much for ASUU, the rate at wc money wear canvass and run in ds con3 is alarming , if d only way ASUU blve dat dy can eat part of d national cake is by going on strike LEGALLY so be it then.

1 Like

Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by kokoA(m): 11:12am On Nov 09, 2013
This man should shut da hell up! Look who's talking.. Suswan of all people. An agreement was signed in 2009 by the government in front of all Nigerians. Why has the government failed to keep her own side of the agreement? If this man cannot provide any meaningful answer to this question then he had better shutup and allow ASUU decide on the new offer by GEJ. . Mcheeewww, yeye "notice-me"!

1 Like

Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by Bukkyade: 11:15am On Nov 09, 2013
Initially, I didn't buy into the logic that ASUU is politicizing the strike. But when I listened to GEJ's last presidential media chat, I decided to give it a second thought. GEJ asked if ASUU was altruistic, state universities wouldn't be on strike.
That said. GEJ himself stayed up late in the night to discuss with ASUU for 13 hours yet ASUU is not touched. It's all politics.
Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by kokoA(m): 11:20am On Nov 09, 2013
Bukkyade: Initially, I didn't buy into the logic that ASUU is politicizing the strike. But when I listened to GEJ's last presidential media chat, I decided to give it a second thought. GEJ asked if ASUU was altruistic, state universities wouldn't be on strike.
That said. GEJ himself stayed up late in the night to discuss with ASUU for 13 hours yet ASUU is not touched. It's all politics.
Who cares if GEJ stayed up 24hrs to solve a problem?! Isn't that what he is elected and paid to do? If there is anybody ASUU should be concerned about, its our children who are at home instead of school, not a man who feeds on 1billion naira out of our pockets. The right thing must be done without sentiments. Our educational sector is far more important than one man's sleep!

2 Likes

Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by Dollarman101: 11:23am On Nov 09, 2013
Mynd_44:
You keep forgetting that it was GEJ who brokered the agreement in 2009. Why os he saying the agreement he signed himself cannot be implemented?

It wasn't GEJ that signed the 2009 agreement. He was vice president in 2009 and couldn't have midwifed that unrealistic agreement.
That notwithstanding, he has reached out to ASUU to discuss it. So what else does ASUU want??
Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by Mynd44: 11:27am On Nov 09, 2013
Dollarman101:

It wasn't GEJ that signed the 2009 agreement. He was vice president in 2009 and couldn't have midwifed that unrealistic agreement.
That notwithstanding, he has reached out to ASUU to discuss it. So what else does ASUU want??
The peesident then directed him to lead negotiations woth ASUU and they came up with the agreement together. He then tol the agreement to Yar adua to sign. It is on him not anyone else.
Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by Energito: 11:28am On Nov 09, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: By Tokunbo Adedoja and Adebiyi Adedapo
Benue State Governor, Gabriel Suswam, has alleged that the strike embarked upon by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) was aimed at bringing down the government of President Goodluck Jonathan.

In an interview with THISDAY, Suswam, who is the chairman of the Federal Government's Needs Assessment Committee for Nigerian Universities said: "ASUU’s leadership is determined that PDP government must be brought down and the easiest way to do it is ensuring that every family is affected. And so, the Nigerian family will simply say, ‘look, to keep this government in place, our children will be out of school. So it is better that we kick this government out and bring another government.’

"That is all they are doing. There is nothing to it. Otherwise, the Federal Government has touched on all the requests that led to the strike by ASUU. They have no basis rather than playing politics with the strike and then holding the nation hostage and destroying the future of this country."

Buttressing his claim, Suswam said: "I feel that if it is not that they have introduced politics, you know people can't say that they don't have political leanings. ASUU’s leadership, we know where they are standing in this whole political process. They can't deny that they are sympathising with opposition parties and they are determined to destroy the PDP government. That is what they are doing and it is nothing more than that."

The Benue State governor, who had attended several meetings with ASUU on government side, said the nine issues raised by the academic union had been attended to, though not 100 per cent.

He said: "I think that it is unfair. And I keep saying it that they have introduced politics into it. It's purely political. There is no way that any person can say any other thing. It is just to portray the government in bad light so that people will say that you have a government that is not capable of keeping the children in school. That is pure politics. There is nothing more to it because if you present nine issues and all of them have been attended to, even if not attended to 100 per cent, at least you should appreciate that efforts have been made and you should say that it is okay because this has been done.

"There were a lot of issues that were presented. Constitution of governing councils has been done; they said they should help them set up pension administrator, N250 million was given to them; they said they wanted the properties of universities handed over to them, government said go and form companies and compete, we will do that. You know a couple of other things, the need assessment, an initial N100 billion has been distributed.

"The retirement age, they say they don't want to retire at 65, it has been approved, all the academic staff in the university retire at 70. Earned allowance, out of N57 billion, N30 billion has been given."

Suswam said the issue that had kept the universities closed were not because government could not pay salaries but the earned allowances, adding, "Academic staffs of universities collect more than civil servants in this country.... They have been paying that consistently and nobody is being owed salary. These are issues of allowance.

"This earned allowance; it is not every lecturer in the university that is entitled to it. So, why must it be a reason why you keep the children out of school? It doesn't make sense and I am surprised most Nigerian are looking at this differently. If in a nation, the whole leaders of tomorrow are being kept out of school, then its means that in future, you can imagine the kind of leaders we would have."

Recalling his involvement in the efforts to resolve the crisis in the Nigerian university system, Suswam said when he was invited by the President to chair the Needs Assessment part of the ASUU strike, he took the responsibility very seriously.

"Out of this three weeks, may be I spent like just four days in Benue because I was determined that we must raise money for this Needs Assessment. And within those three weeks, that committee which I chaired was able to raise the N100 billion, which has since been shared. Once we shared that money, this people (ASUU) moved to other areas; which is issue of earned allowances, which was being handled by the SGF", he said.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/suswam-ASUU-wants-to-bring-down-jonathan-s-government/163813/
grin[quote author=Sincere 9gerian]By Tokunbo Adedoja and Adebiyi Adedapo
Benue State Governor, Gabriel Suswam, has alleged that the strike embarked upon by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) was aimed at bringing down the government of President Goodluck Jonatha.for me make them no call off.i wan change my school to national open university of nigeria.
Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by Energito: 11:30am On Nov 09, 2013
owolabifunke14: ASUU's demands are high but since our oyel money still dey flow make FG drop money for them ni grin
make them no call off self.national open uni on my mind.
Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by Bukkyade: 11:32am On Nov 09, 2013
kokoA: Who cares if GEJ stayed up 24hrs to solve a problem?! Isn't that what he is elected and paid to do? If there is anybody ASUU should be concerned about, its our children who are at home instead of school, not a man who feeds on 1billion naira out of our pockets. The right thing must be done without sentiments. Our educational sector is far more important than one man's sleep!

GEJ wasn't elected to stay up late in the night discussing with ASUU to end a politically motivated strike.
No president in Nigeria's history has indulged ASUU with a direct discussion to end an industrial action.
GEJ went out of his way to do it and will be given due credit by posterity.

ASUU is not even interested in the education of our children. If they were, they would have returned back to classes immediately after that Aso rock meeting. GEJ allocated the highest funds to education in our history-450B in the 2013 Budget.

That nothwitstanding, He has offered an unparalleled 220B to ASUU to end this strike. Which other president has offered this much? Please be objective.

1 Like

Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by Mynd44: 11:34am On Nov 09, 2013
Bukkyade:

GEJ wasn't elected to stay up late in the night discussing with ASUU to end a politically motivated strike.
No president in Nigeria's history has indulged ASUU with a direct discussion to end an industrial action.
GEJ went out of his way to do it and will be given due credit by posterity.

ASUU is not even interested in the education of our children. If they were, they would have returned back to classes immediately after that Aso rock meeting. GEJ allocated the highest funds to education in our history-450B in the 2013 Budget.

That nothwitstanding, He has offered an unparalleled 220B to ASUU to end this strike. Which other president has offered this much? Please be objective.
Did he sign the agreement? Yes he did, so why is this so dificult to implement? This is just silliness
Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by Mandelaguy(m): 11:36am On Nov 09, 2013
Faggae is an APC man. After the meeting with GEJ in Aso rock, he went to consult his sponsors at Bourdillion street. But they will not succeed. The public is becoming very much aware of the efforts that jonathan has put into resolving this crisis and getting our students back to school
Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by Mynd44: 11:38am On Nov 09, 2013
Mandelaguy: Faggae is an APC man. After the meeting with GEJ in Aso rock, he went to consult his sponsors at Bourdillion street. But they will not succeed. The public is becoming very much aware of the efforts that jonathan has put into resolving this crisis and getting our students back to school
The public grows weary of GEJ's issues here. He shouls honor hos agrement simle
Re: Suswam: ASUU Wants To Bring Down Jonathan’s Government by Mekusnwa: 11:38am On Nov 09, 2013
ASUU Progressive party of Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2015: Bishop Sam Akpan’s Aspiration Is A Mirage …bishop, Leave Udom Alone, You H / Please Help: Sample Letter Requesting For Funding An NGO / Sudan Bans Building Of Churches. (A Lesson For Nigerians}.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.