Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,615 members, 7,813,016 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:15 AM

Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta (21457 Views)

Ken Saro-Wiwa And 8 Other Ogonis Were Executed On 10th November, 1995 / Nigerian Drug Courier Daniel Enemuo To Be Executed Today As Indonesia Gets Tough / Photo: Nigerian Drug Courier Daniel Enemuo To Be Executed Today In Indonesia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by IAMBREEZY: 12:58pm On Nov 10, 2013
u will always be remembered sir.
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by gratieao: 1:00pm On Nov 10, 2013
AWONEYAN: I just wonder...will this man make heaven? Dieing for course a course without eternal value and above all no salvation of your soul....
All I hear pple saying is dat posterity won't 4get him,what will that do to his soul. A lot of soul are rottening in hell yet we keep talking abt dem here...lesson leav 4 d right course
Don't mind those hypocrisy the man died for his own sins
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by drdams: 1:04pm On Nov 10, 2013
He died a sorrowful death but for a good cause..
Executed in the name of 'false treason'.
That was the norm during the military regime..

Then I wonder why the likes of Rev. King and Clifford Orji (before his death) were not / yet to be executed : perhaps, one of the shortcomings of Civilians in power.
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by Etianwanokon: 1:05pm On Nov 10, 2013
You will always be remembered for what you stood for. 'THE TRUTH' God rest your soul and the Ogoni 9

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by texazzpete(m): 1:12pm On Nov 10, 2013
I wonder the rationale for posting this topic when it is clear that what this man died for has not yet been realized and will probably never be realized.

See his words below

On trial also is the Nigerian nation, its present rulers and those who assist them. Any nation which can do to the weak and disadvantaged what the Nigerian nation has done to the Ogoni, loses a claim to independence and to freedom from outside influence. I am not one of those who shy away from protesting injustice and oppression, arguing that they are expected in a military regime. The military do not act alone. They are supported by a gaggle of politicians, lawyers, judges, academics and businessmen, all of them hiding under the claim that they are only doing their duty, men and women too afraid to wash their pants of urine.

We all stand on trial, my lord, for[b] by our actions we have denigrated our Country and jeopardized the future of our children. As we subscribe to the sub-normal and accept double standards, as we lie and cheat openly, as we protect injustice and oppression, we empty our classrooms, denigrate our hospitals[/b], fill our stomachs with hunger and elect to make ourselves the slaves of those who ascribe to higher standards, pursue the truth, and honour justice, freedom, and hard work. I predict that the scene here will be played and replayed by generations yet unborn. Some have already cast themselves in the role of villains, some are tragic victims, some still have a chance to redeem themselves. The choice is for each individual.

it is a shame indeed. From those who are wailing in this same thread, I recognize those who start ethnic wars on Nairaland. I see those who regularly excoriate the likes of ASUU even when it is clear that our universities are abysmal. I see those who castigate doctors and Nurses for demanding better welfare even when it is clear that our Hospitals have primitive equipment and de-motivated medical personnel.
I see those who only support the Government of the day because "he is my kinsman".
I see those who have sold their conscience for money. The ones that open threads praising any of the Governors that butters their bread.

Saro-Wiwa talked about leaving a legacy for our Children. Well, I see people here who are not bothered in the slightest that nearly 150,000 barrels of oil is stolen daily, oil that is a non-renewable resource. Well, we still meet our OPEC quota, but that oil will NEVER be available for your children.

Make no bones about it. As Saro-Wiwa says, you're on trial too. We will all reap the whirlwind. Well, some more than others cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by andyanders: 1:13pm On Nov 10, 2013
Ojukwu did same, fought for a just course but some men or some group of ethnic individuals who are crying then or now, objected to his views and same marginalization others like Saro Wiwa started crying for saw him -Ojukwu as a rebel.Every steps taken in life in the course to success, history is made.

If Nigerians understood what Ojukwu cried for, we wouldn't be here by now crying as people saw his vision as ethnic rather than the truth for a just course.
Saro Wiwa and their likes knew the history of what Ojukwu passed through then but were against his views by saying one Nigeria and till date, have we achieved that?
The northerners saw leadership as a RIGHT and the military junta of northern clique saw power as their personal right and even till date, the northerners still see leadership as their birth right. We have history and our father's gave us history of what transpired during the war and what every ethnic groups acted. Till date, the easterners have been marginalized and it is still going on.

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by juman(m): 1:14pm On Nov 10, 2013
Great man.
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by snowytee(m): 1:17pm On Nov 10, 2013
From an outsider point of view,Nigerians from the south east and south south want out of Nigeria cause they feel they are being short changed by the south west and North.It shouldn't be that way,since the south south claims(rightly) to have the resources(oil)that runs Nigeria,and the south east also claims to have the man power(Note:not technical know how)that runs the same Nigeria.Why can't these two regions join hands to topple the "perceived"born to rule mentality perpetuated by the union of the west and north,rather than clamour for breakage?just thoughts running through my head

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by freshboi34(m): 1:39pm On Nov 10, 2013
Lilboots: Is the topic not misleading? Surely it's been 18 years and not 10. Ken Saro wiwa died on 10/11/1995. May his soul rest in peace

Chale the op wrote nov.10 nd not 10yrs..tank me later sha
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by MATUREZEE: 1:39pm On Nov 10, 2013
biggz82: Take the messanger but you can't take the message. Mr writer ken died ove 15 years ago not 10
una write before reading abi read before writing?
Writer says today November 10.... Whats todays date
front page says 18yrs ago...take note
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by funnyx(m): 1:52pm On Nov 10, 2013
1Wilywily:
Not all Nigerians, the killing of Ken was secretly spearheaded by Yorubas that has interest in oil industry and Northern Elites.

Your hatred for Yoruba will soon kill you

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by Lilboots(m): 1:55pm On Nov 10, 2013
freshboi34:

Chale the op wrote nov.10 nd not 10yrs..tank me later sha
You should have seen the earlier post topic on front page. it's been amended to 18yrs.
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by ddeola: 2:07pm On Nov 10, 2013
Still his killers have not exposed...hmm
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by Nobody: 2:11pm On Nov 10, 2013
A true great man...he couldn't bear to live under the false mediocre system of oppression and corruption while his people and ordinary Nigerians suffer-instead he choose to die with the truth.
His prophecy is coming true...the present generation are burning up the place,in search of justice.

I keep saying it if Jesus Christ came in our time,very few people will embrace him.
Mankind has failed to stand for justice and the oppresed.

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by texazzpete(m): 2:12pm On Nov 10, 2013
ddeola: Still his killers have not exposed...hmm

Erm, he was tried and executed by a millitary tribunal.

Justice Ibrahim Auta was the chairman of that tribunal...and he was appointed as the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court by President GEJ.
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by texazzpete(m): 2:13pm On Nov 10, 2013
distribute inc.:

His prophecy is coming true...the present generation are burning up the place,in search of justice.

Actually, they are burning the place up in search of money.

I'm sure the 'justice' you put there was a typo.

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by Nobody: 2:21pm On Nov 10, 2013
patrickmuf: Asari Dokubo, read and learn...talking about passionate activists, do we still have them in 9ja?
I can't blame Dokubo for his stance,he has discovered that Nigeria is not worth fighting for-cos Nigerians themselves love the corruption and mediocrity.
It seems Saro Wiwa died in vain for no one acknowledges his sacrifice.
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by Nobody: 2:22pm On Nov 10, 2013
texazzpete:

Actually, they are burning the place up in search of money.

I'm sure the 'justice' you put there was a typo.
Sure one must seek justice for self first-cos Nigeria is not worth dying for,Nigerians are docile.
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by DerideGull(m): 2:30pm On Nov 10, 2013
berem: Its so unfortunate that the leaders of the niger delta have not deemed it fit to immortalize this great man and a freedom fighter. Its so shameful that a president who hails from the same region has not provided any meaningful development to the niger deltans! Will Ken Saro Wiwa's struggle for freedom and emancipation be in vain?

Sometimes I feel like using few unflattering words to qualify your lack of knowledge. And in most cases, I had to apply restraints because few human beings are regrettable interlopers.

When Ken Saro-Wiwa went to Government College, Umuahia and University of Ibadan on Shell scholarship meant for another Ogoni chap who could not afford the school fees, Shell BP was okay. Ken Saro Wiwa did not see anything wrong when he connived with Ijo, Yoruba and northerners to annex the landed and other properties that belonged to Ndigbo in Port Harcourt.

It is funny to read from the newspapers where goons from Europe and Nigeria refer to Ken Saro Wiwa as real estate mogul. I tend to wonder which real estate mogul those scallywags were on about. Ken Saro Wiwa was a despicable human being who often showed the tendency to bite the finger that fed him.

3 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by Idokosolomon(m): 2:37pm On Nov 10, 2013
He was a great man.He must be remmbered becos his speech reviews nothing but the whole truth of Nigeria situation today.I respect ur speech.RIP.
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by eezor: 2:45pm On Nov 10, 2013
The igbo, why are they making noise . The same injustices and outright stealing and seizure of rivers people lands and properties during the formal eastern regional govt headed by the ibos brought about mistrust on d part of the rivers people. The only option to fight back their land and identity was to b on the nigeria side then. And again, hw does ojukwu felt he can win a war without due consultation of the not-important-minorities of his aborted nation? And y would the ibos very keen on taking over portharcourt as their land then? To b honest wit u all, we knew wat transpered then. Till today, in my own village, there r still some forest named in ibo name, these are part of wat they claimed and forcefully usurped. Ojukwu telling saro wiwa gud morning is meaningless. Wen he was d regional head, he did worst nd injured the niger deltan badly. He tried by all means to forcefully seized the oil riched land. Same mentality. How then wud u xpect the rivers man whose identity is threaten to dance to his war tone? He started it, the ibos failed from the onset. So no body shud b blame. In those days, even as an indigene, before u can get a land or building approval, u had to go to enugu been the headquarter, and one hardly get consider except the ibos. Dats how the seized nd got almost all d building in portharcourt which was declared abandoned after the civil war. The riteful owners only took back wat belongs to them. The ibos shud try nd learn not to b gready and claim wat ritely belongs to them. Dats my advice to them. (Pls dnt mind my bad english)

7 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by andyanders: 2:46pm On Nov 10, 2013
DerideGull:

Sometimes I feel like using few unflattering words to qualify your lack of knowledge. And in most cases, I had to apply restraints because few human beings are regrettable interlopers.

When Ken Saro-Wiwa went to Government College, Umuahia and University of Ibadan on Shell scholarship meant for another Ogoni chap who could not afford the school fees, Shell BP was okay. Ken Saro Wiwa did not see anything wrong when connived with Ijo, Yoruba and northerners to annex the landed and other properties that belonged to Ndigbo in Port Harcourt.

It is funny read on the newspapers where goons from Europe and Nigeria refer to Ken Saro Wiwa as real estate mogul. I tend to wonder which real estate mogul those scallywags were on about. Ken Saro Wiwa was a despicable human being who often showed the tendency to bite the finger that fed him.

Well spoken my brother. Let them talk. Ojukwu came out and Ken Saro Wiwa in connivance with the Northern troupes, confiscated all Igbo man's properties in Rivers state. Sold out that area and allowed the federal troupe to enter to kill Igbo people. Has the Federal government deemed it right to compensate the Easterners? Hell no.They will find one useless portfolio and give to one Ibo man who lick their fu0-ckin asssssss.
Ken Saro Wiwa shouldn't have even opened his mouth to say that they were been marginalized because he was against Ojukwu when Ojukwu saw the threat from the Northerners but Saro Wiwa was dinning and winning with them and when the chips were down, he now remembered that he was been marginalized and paid with his life.

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by DerideGull(m): 2:53pm On Nov 10, 2013
eezor: The igbo, why are they making noise . The same injustices and outright stealing and seizure of rivers people lands and properties during the formal eastern regional govt headed by the ibos brought about mistrust on d part of the rivers people. The only option to fight back their land and identity was to b on the nigeria side then. And again, hw does ojukwu felt he can win a war without due consultation of the not-important-minorities of his aborted nation? And y would the ibos very keen on taking over portharcourt as their land then? To b honest wit u all, we knew wat transpered then. Till today, in my own village, there r still some forest named in ibo name, these are part of wat they claimed and forcefully usurped. Ojukwu telling saro wiwa gud morning is meaningless. Wen he was d regional head, he did worst nd injured the niger deltan badly. He tried by all means to forcefully seized the oil riched land. Same mentality. How then wud u xpect the rivers man whose identity is threaten to dance to his war tone? He started it, the ibos failed from the onset. So no body shud b blame. In those days, even as an indigene, before u can get a land or building approval, u had to go to enugu been the headquarter, and one hardly get consider except the ibos. Dats how the seized nd got almost all d building in portharcourt which was declared abandoned after the civil war. The riteful owners only took back wat belongs to them. The ibos shud try nd learn not to b gready and claim wat ritely belongs to them. Dats my advice to them. (Pls dnt mind my bad english)

As I write this piece, I never knew any inch of real estate in Port Harcourt belonged to Ogoni or even Ijo. If Ken Saro Wiwa fougth alongside Nigeria to gain justice and what rightfully belonged to the Ogonis, why was he fighting for justice again in Nigeria which eventually consumed his miserable life?

He who eats and dines with devils is indebted to sudden death

2 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by godsI(m): 2:53pm On Nov 10, 2013
The divine is always patient to utter their verdict when the strong wrongly oppress the weak. Abacha hanged them, ogoni youths were massacred by Nigeria superior military strength, their land was and is raped and re-raped by Shell, Nigerian army also raped their daughters and women while discharging limitless volley of lead into the flesh of their men. The divine was watching; not dormant, but mere mortals either complained or basked in satisfaction as blood flew. Now when the divine pronounced judgement, the aggressor(Abacha) perished, the army lost control, the aggressor's region suffer, and the cry of Saro-wiwa was heard, Jonathan is the answer. Know this: there is no crime without consequence, there is no great accomplishment without a great sacrifice. Storms rise and fall, the big fish devour the small, the divine still paddles, and still laughs.

2 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by eezor: 3:01pm On Nov 10, 2013
The rivers people and ken saro wiwa was fighting against any form of injustices or oppressions no matter the circumstances they find themselves. It could b eastern regional govt, it could b nigeria military, it could b any. Dats rivers man for u.

2 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by UyiIredia(m): 3:03pm On Nov 10, 2013
berem: Its so unfortunate that the leaders of the niger delta have not deemed it fit to immortalize this great man and a freedom fighter. Its so shameful that a president who hails from the same region has not provided any meaningful development to the niger deltans! Will Ken Saro Wiwa's struggle for freedom and emancipation be in vain?

And let me use this opportunity based on the highlighted words to state that by no means am I ignorant of the fact that the parliamentary system (or the true federalism) and attendant state autonomy is a magic wand to the Niger Deltans agitation. Should such happen they would be suprised to find greedy persons, even amongst them who would rather have the wealth for their own selfish interests. I agree with the sentiment expressed by berem, I don't know of a thing significant Goodluck has done for his people other than becoming president.
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by nairaarea: 3:07pm On Nov 10, 2013
RIP

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by eezor: 3:09pm On Nov 10, 2013
Note also that nobody betrayed ojukwu nd his people. U dnt force people to b part of a new nation when they dont. And he shud hv think of capturing nd securing ibo heartland first during the war insteady of having sleepless nite over port harcourt city. Dat goes a long way to tell of his utermost ambition and desire. Greed.

6 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by amakenny: 3:09pm On Nov 10, 2013
Jubal Theophilus: Ken Saro Wiwa "GOODMORNIN".
U r a man of no vision if not u wld have seen what Ojukwu saw and hidded to his warnin and advice. A lesson 4 the pple of Niger delta & Jonathan.i repeat, "Divide this country". On Aburi we stand.

One thing: those that killed Wiwa still hold the country hostage, even though Jonathan is president.
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by amakenny: 3:16pm On Nov 10, 2013
eezor: Note also that nobody betrayed ojukwu nd his people. U dnt force people to b part of a new nation when they dont. And he shud hv think of capturing nd securing ibo heartland first during the war insteady of having sleepless nite over port harcourt city. Dat goes a long way to tell of his utermost ambition and desire. Greed.

Portharcourt and Igbo?
You must have been a truant that omitted his/her history lessons at school, or you engage in self satisfying wishful thinking and chose to be deliberately ignorant of demography of the old southeast of Nigeria. Ikwerre and the rest of Igbo name for Portharcourt is Igweocha. Ikwerreland stretched into a few meters to the Atlantic Ocean.

3 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by eezor: 3:35pm On Nov 10, 2013
The ikwerre people hv repeated made it clear that they are not ibos, not even their land. Even before oputa panel, why are u so desperate to hav nd claim wat is nt yours?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Cleaning Pdp’s Mess Requires Painstaking Planning – Presidency / Boko Haram Retakes Bosso, Niger Republic / I'm The Only One Contesting For Presidency - Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.