Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,473 members, 7,816,118 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:31 AM

The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport (38281 Views)

The Shame Called Nigerian Embassy In Johannesburg, SA / The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport / Jonathan Transforms Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos - Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by theoctopus: 12:42pm On Nov 13, 2013
Tadon200:
no i don't stay in one room apartment ,i stay under the bridge as you know people like you that sell spare part in lagos are the real owners of lagos. #glorified mumus.

The people hat sell spare parts are far better than you jobless and lazy toad! You troll NL all day and make noise that you own Lagos. You dont even own the trousers on your waist and you are making noise. Abeg shift joor.!
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 12:48pm On Nov 13, 2013
theoctopus:

The people hat sell spare parts are far better than you jobless and lazy toad! You troll NL all day and make noise that you own Lagos. You dont even own the trousers on your waist and you are making noise. Abeg shift joor.!
yes i don't have trousers , i don't even have a house ,can u buy one for me ,since you have many from your armed robber business.
it is people like you that wake up everyday and think of ways to dupe a man of his hard earned money. #ole barawo.

3 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by bootlegaz: 12:49pm On Nov 13, 2013
Tadon200:
no i don't stay in one room apartment ,i stay under the bridge as you know people like you that sell spare part in lagos are the real owners of lagos. #glorified mumus and FYI am not your friend ,i don't know you from jack. #babbooo
Actually,every Yoruba I know on NL hails from Lagos, Sometimes I wonder if Apes occupy other states. My best friend is from Abeokuta and he is a proud Ogun state fellow. You will never here him or his parents claim Lagos in real life. Be proud of where you came from, son.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by jonnyboy4u: 12:53pm On Nov 13, 2013
Cape Town Airport. Johannesburg airport with the guatrain that can be taken from inside the airport terminal:
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by proudly233: 12:54pm On Nov 13, 2013
SW dey contribute shi shi, Through NL, I realized that the SW seem to think they are better than the rest of Nigeria, but the truth be told, they are living on past glory, the sooner they wake up to realize that places like Port Harcourt, Calabar, Abuja are far better than the noisy, over-hyped and disorganized Lagos wey don baje since, the sooner they can fall back and get better again, the world rotates, make una calm down no dey over-hype Lagos joor, dem no build gate around am, everyone and anyone can go they and live and see things for themselves. Eko done baje joor, but them say Fashola is the best, for their deluded and demented minds
chukwudi44:

Bros what percentage of the national income does the sw even contribute? If to say na una get oyel pesin for no hear word again!!

Don't even try to mention that word 'ibadan' again as that place is a glorified village!! Too much foreigners indeed I wonder where we would place port-harcourt
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 12:54pm On Nov 13, 2013
bootlegaz:
Actually,every Yoruba I know on NL hails from Lagos, Sometimes I wonder if Apes occupy other states. My best friend is from Abeokuta and he is a proud Ogun state fellow. You will never here him or his parents claim Lagos in real life. Be proud of where you came from, son.
DAD am from Lagos ,if you don't like it go hang yourself.

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by sweetgala(m): 12:57pm On Nov 13, 2013
chukwudi44:

Bros what percentage of the national income does the sw even contribute? If to say na una get oyel pesin for no hear word again!!

Don't even try to mention that word 'ibadan' again as that place is a glorified village!! Too much foreigners indeed I wonder where we would place port-harcourt

Bros why you come dey vex untop thruth.
MMIA is the international airport why is it in such a state.

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by dad007(m): 12:58pm On Nov 13, 2013
Pink!:
On a side note, I don't know why folks keep complaining about paying to use the trolley. All the airports I've used/passed through, I've always paid. How in the world would the trollies be maintained if there's no charge attached to it.
Let's be reasonable in our complaints pls.
PLEASE,DONT SAY WHAT YOU DONT KNOW.I HAVE PASSED THROUGH SOME AIRPORT AND I HAVE NOT SEEN SUCH A THING HAPPENING...EVEN LAST YEAR,WHEN I WENT TO GHANA THERE WAS NOTHING OF SUCH.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by haibe(m): 12:59pm On Nov 13, 2013
sCun: You are a big fool! See your useless ambition. Are we supposed to move forward or backward?

it's possible you haven't gone out of the country before so I won't say much.

In general Ghana is currently better than nigeria unless if you want us to be biased, am proud of my country but I won't be deceiving myself, if nigeria is currently like ghana now, we will have less to talk about.

Well its obvious you are a kid seeing the way you replied my post, a matured person knows how to counter arguments politely.

3 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by PetroDolla2: 1:00pm On Nov 13, 2013
sCun: You are a big fool! See your useless ambition. Are we supposed to move forward or backward?
shocked Funny guy. you don't know for naija to reach Ghana's level is a sign of improvement,huh? hahahahahaha just compare how the two countries perform in key indices, such as access to potable water, health care, personal security,electricity, education,poverty levels, life expectancy. Ghana is even ahead on FIFA rankings!

check out the United Nations Human Development Index http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_African_countries_by_Human_Development_Index

3 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by oluamid(m): 1:01pm On Nov 13, 2013
How did a thread that was meant to trigger anti-corruption emotions and make us ask questions of our system, suddenly descend into the abyss of tribal and political party comparison?

The problem with Nigeria is as diverse as the users on Nairaland. There are Leaders who only lead their families and their bank accounts. There are citizens who see the next man as a meal ticket. There are people who think living abroad gives them the right to look down on those who don't. There are trolls whose only goal is to be the king of their tribal kingdom.

And there are armchair critics who only sit behind their computers/phones to criticize the system but do absolutely nothing about it (it seems this group is in the majority).

SMH.

4 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by justi4jesu(f): 1:03pm On Nov 13, 2013
Upon arrival no AC or electricity. At the immigration counter, the officer bluntly asks each passenger to provide a "little extra money for him" in order for him to stamp your passport. Once get your luggage at the conveyor belt, the two officers at the declaration immediately ask you "what you have for me today", meaning a little more money on the side. Finally, coming out of the airport, a swarm of people approach you from all angles wanting to carry your luggage. You literally have to shout, fight and plead with the people to leave you alone. MMIA is HELL...

One of the worst airports in the world..why should baggages be handled manually by operators if not to create an avenue to ask you for money..scattering your luggage without concern. The scene is one of a final day of judgement. Chaos is everywhere, staffs are rude...ishhhhhh

10 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by sweetgala(m): 1:05pm On Nov 13, 2013
740megawatts: By the way, what exactly went wrong with the central cooling system of the MMIA? It used to function optimally well until the late 90's or early 2000's. Instead, I see split air-conditioning systems being mounted everywhere. This is so sickening, how can you use clusters of split air-conditioners to cool a large structure like the MMIA? Whichever engineering firm(s) gave them this advice and carried out the unethical contracts for split systems must be re.tarded. From my engineering knowledge, I know that split systems are almost useless in such structures because of the large differential height from the floor level to the roof level. You cannot easily cool such structures from the ground level, rather it should instead be cooled from the roof level via conventional cooling systems. This method quickly allows cool air from above to quickly displace the hot air below. That cooling system at MMIA must be fixed and restored ASAP!!!

God bless you brother, when I travelled though nigeria some of the unethical engineering practices amazed me as an engineer myself.
But what do you expect the contract in itself was a means to fraudulently ursup public funds.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:06pm On Nov 13, 2013
I remember reading from one of the books of Professor Patrick Wilmot that he knows he is in Nigeria whenever he is in a non-functioning toilet in an airport

3 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by PetroDolla2: 1:06pm On Nov 13, 2013
haibe:

In general Ghana is currently better than nigeria unless if you want us to be biased, am proud of my country but I won't be deceiving myself, if nigeria is currently like ghana now, we will have less to talk about.

Well its obvious you are kid seeing the way you replied my post, a matured person knows how to counter arguments politely.
grin don't mind him jare. most of these people are simply blinded by 'negative patriotism.'

the first step to solving a problem is to admit you have a problem, not to deny it and assume it will go away.

most have never step outside Nigeria and believe all the crap they are told. there is an old adage that says travel and see.....

5 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by dad007(m): 1:06pm On Nov 13, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by freezy(m): 1:07pm On Nov 13, 2013
justi4jesu: Upon arrival no AC or electricity. At the immigration counter, the officer bluntly asks each passenger to provide a "little extra money for him" in order for him to stamp your passport. Once get your luggage at the conveyor belt, the two officers at the declaration immediately ask you "what you have for me today", meaning a little more money on the side. Finally, coming out of the airport, a swarm of people approach you from all angles wanting to carry your luggage. You literally have to shout, fight and plead with the people to leave you alone. MMIA is HELL...

Aptly put.

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by bootlegaz: 1:09pm On Nov 13, 2013
PetroDolla2: shocked Funny guy. you don't know for naija to reach Ghana's level is a sign of improvement,huh? hahahahahaha just compare how the two countries perform in key indices, such as access to potable water, health care, personal security,electricity, education,poverty levels, life expectancy. Ghana is even ahead on FIFA rankings!

check out the United Nations Human Development Index http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_African_countries_by_Human_Development_Index
I have not been to Ghana but from interacting with them here in states, they seems more civilized than Nigerians. I am not doubting the data you put up here. Nigerians are Nigeria's problem. If you See them cutting queue at JFK or Heathrow airport when boarding flights to Nigeria,you will shake your damn head in shame.

6 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by haibe(m): 1:15pm On Nov 13, 2013
bootlegaz:
I have not been to Ghana but from interacting with them here in states, they seems more civilized than Nigerians. I am not doubting the data you put up here. Nigerians are Nigeria's problem. If you See them cutting queue at JFK or Heathrow airport when boarding flights to Nigeria,you will shake your damn head in shame.

true, we nigerians really need to improve, I was in ghana few months ago and was glad with the way the country has improved within just a few years.

the roads are above par, very good health sector and management. Most of all, the people are civilized than nigerians(in general).

4 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by bootlegaz: 1:22pm On Nov 13, 2013
haibe:

true, we nigerians really need to improve, I was in ghana few months ago and was glad with the way the country has improved within just a few years.

the roads are above par, very good health sector and management, most of all the people are civilized than nigerians(in general).
Nigerians claim to love Nigeria yet they wear Jersey of Chelsea and showcase cake designed as Chelsea stadium. I don't see Nigerian flags in people's home or people wearing Nigerian Jersey. The new generation is worse than its predecessor . The entire system needs cleansing . You can not do business with a Nigerian without been cheated .

3 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Polio: 1:27pm On Nov 13, 2013
Words fail me! undecided
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by skiesoduah: 1:34pm On Nov 13, 2013
chukwudi44:

Tell him. I was laughing out loud at his ignorant comment.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by iterator25: 1:35pm On Nov 13, 2013
Pangea: What do you mean, op?
Our daughter, Stella has transformed the airport naa lipsrsealed
which rubbish daughter is this one saying sad
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by sexymonkey(m): 1:35pm On Nov 13, 2013
bootlegaz:
Nigerians claim to love Nigeria yet they wear Jersey of Chelsea and showcase cake designed as Chelsea stadium. I don't see Nigerian flags in people's home or people wearing Nigerian Jersey. The new generation is worse than its predecessor . The entire system needs cleansing . You can not do business with a Nigerian without been cheated .
another senseless comment....
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by sCun: 1:36pm On Nov 13, 2013
haibe:

Well its obvious you are a kid seeing the way you replied my post, a matured person knows how to counter arguments politely.
What nonsense! You read an article that has the quote below
Even with all the money in the world, our
airports and our country will not work as long
as we do not have people who care about excellence. Caring about excellence means
knowing that Nigerians deserve the best all
the time. When we reserve the rights citizens
of other countries take for granted, upgrade
such to privileges for our citizens, we will
always miss the point of making things work. Nigerians deserve more but as long as we
have people – including the President –
dancing on national TV because a road
contract has been awarded, we’d always have
a situation where mediocrity will remain the
norm
you agreed with it whole heartedly, then went on to suggest we need a President that will make us like Ghana - another third world country, isn't that the mediocrity the writer was talking about? You asked me if I've ever travelled out, okay we are talking about Airports here, have you ever been to Ghana's Kotoka international airport? You probably go there by road. I have a lot to say about the airport, but it is better I show you what others think including Ghanaians themselves.
ACCRA KOTOKA AIRPORT customer review : 25 March 2013 by D Tan (Malaysia)
Rating : 3/10
Lack of air-conditioning facilities. Officers going through your bag after check in to "ensure" nothing illegal, definitely made my luggage messy after hours of arranging and packing at my hotel. Asking passengers of certain zone to board first, which all have to board the first bus, and other subsequent zone will board the 2nd bus. In the end, both buses arrived at the plane at the same time, making it crowded. If that is the case, what is the point of asking passengers of certain zone to board first? Totally disappointed with the staff/ officers in the airport.

www.airlinequality.com/Airports/Airport_forum/acc.htm
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Reference(m): 1:37pm On Nov 13, 2013
You're talking about airports. Have you been to our public motor parks or markets where millions change hands daily. Are they not well funded private sector operated enterprises. Mr. Man, Nigerians are simply like that. This is the way we love to live.

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Reference(m): 1:39pm On Nov 13, 2013
You're talking about airports. Have you been to our public motor parks or markets where millions change hands daily. Are they not well funded private sector operated enterprises. Mr. Man, Nigerians are simply like that. This is the way we love to live. These criticisms are like water off a ducks back. That airport will remain like that for a long time to come.

4 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by PetroDolla2: 1:39pm On Nov 13, 2013
sCun: What nonsense! You read an article that has the quote below
you agreed with it whole heartedly, then went on to suggest we need a President that will make us like Ghana - another third world country, isn't that the mediocrity the writer was talking about? You asked me if I've ever travelled out, okay we are talking about Airports here, have you ever been to Ghana's Kotoka international airport? You probably go there by road. I have a lot to say about the airport, but it is better I show you what others think including Ghanaians themselves.
Lack of air-conditioning facilities. Officers going through your bag after check in to "ensure" nothing illegal, definitely made my luggage messy after hours of arranging and packing at my hotel. Asking passengers of certain zone to board first, which all have to board the first bus, and other subsequent zone will board the 2nd bus. In the end, both buses arrived at the plane at the same time, making it crowded. If that is the case, what is the point of asking passengers of certain zone to board first? Totally disappointed with the staff/ officers in the airport.

Okay, let me ask you a small question,huh? have you been to the Accra airport personally. or are your assumptions about the airport based purely on this story you picked from the Internet?

2 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by sCun: 1:41pm On Nov 13, 2013
PetroDolla2: Okay, let me ask you a small question,huh? have you been to the Accra airport personally. or are your assumptions about the airport based purely on this story you picked from the Internet?

I have been there and it is nothing to wirte home about

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by haibe(m): 1:42pm On Nov 13, 2013
sCun: What nonsense! You read an article that has the quote below

Its not as bad as MMA bro..don't you still get it, btw I was talking about ghana in general when I made that post, not just airport but every sector. the airport issue is still a small issue, have you been to general hospitals in nigeria? you will cry the way those sick poor people are treated.

3 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by victorv12(m): 1:43pm On Nov 13, 2013
It's so unfortunate to see some people to have reduced this debate to a tribal demeanor. Why is it that whenever we're critizing some incompetent Nigerians to have neglected their sense of duty, a particular tribe feels aggrieved, and see it as a form of attack to their sister in position of power.

This topic is not about Stella Odua, It's about the reality and dehumanizing state of one of the major international airport the rest of the world knows us with. It's an eyesore seeing any of our international airports in such a terrible state. It reflects who we truly are.

3 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Iykeponti(m): 1:45pm On Nov 13, 2013
chukwudi44:

gringringrin na today u know say yori yori pple get clumsy mouth

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Seven Important Points To Know Before Travelling To Dubai / My Visit To Bowers Tower In Ibadan / Kenya's Electric Okada (Boda Boda)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.