Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card (17733 Views)

Buhari Registers For National Identity Card (photo) / National Identity Number Mandatory From September / President Jonathan's National Identity Card (For Age Clarification Rumour) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by LMAyedun(m): 6:08pm On Nov 28, 2013
Abuja -  The new national identity card can be used as Automated Teller Machine (ATM) card anywhere there is MasterCard logo in the world, the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) has said.

NIMC’s Director of Technical Services, Mr Emmanuel Ogungbe, told Journalists  on Thursday in Abuja that the commission had already signed an agreement with MasterCard.

“As opposed to just being an ID card, the card is also a cash card. What that means is you can also use it the way you currently use your ATM card.

“So if you put money on the card, you can withdraw this money anywhere in the world.

“Two, it’s also a travel card. What that means is that very soon, especially within the West African sub-region, you can travel passport-free as long as you have this card with you.

“So this card has multi-purpose use and that is why we are calling it a general-multi-purpose card, it’s not just an ID card.”

According to him, all that a holder of the card needs to do is to present it at the point of entry of any country where it will be swiped.

He said the information about the person, similar to the ones on passport, would come out and the country would allow entry.

Ogungbe said that the new card was error-proof and would enhance the security of the country.

“We have a system called automated biometrics identification system in our data centre that checks information of newly registered people coming into the database against what we already have in the database.

“If there is a hit, that means that person was registered before and of course this means we will deny new registration.

“So, there is no way of beating that system for now; I’m very confident of that. That will ensure that you can only register once.

“What the bad elements do is to hide in a way that you won’t be able to capture them. But we are saying with this (ID) we know who they are and we will be able to very easily locate them,’’ he said.

According to him, if there is a crime and the police are able to lift finger prints from the crime scene and send to NIMC, the commission will be able to give the full details of the criminals.

He also said that the card would reduce incidences of bank frauds as fraudsters would be easily detected and apprehended.

“Talk about even fraud in the banks, where someone will obtain a loan in a particular bank, move on to the next bank without servicing the previous loan to obtain another loan; that will become a thing of the past.

“Because once the bank takes your national identification number, it can see all your various transactions, all various businesses that you have with all the other banks.”

He said that government had asked the commission to “register every single Nigerian and legal residents” but warned the aliens against any attempt to use the card to commit crimes.

“If you are an alien and you think you can continue doing that and go scot-free, then the person’s time is numbered because very soon, we will get to him or her,” he said. (NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/11/national-identity-card-become-atm-travel-card/

2 Likes

Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by Rednaxelot: 6:17pm On Nov 28, 2013
“As opposed to just being an
ID card, the card is also a cash
card. What that means is you
can also use it the way you
currently use your ATM card.
what if it get lost?
Na wahala be that o!

1 Like

Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by Nobody: 6:37pm On Nov 28, 2013
Nigeria go better. All that is needed is for people from the axis of EVIL -APC e-warriors, Tinubu, Buhari and Boko Haram- to give this president some breathing space.

27 Likes

Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by yunglykmine(m): 7:19pm On Nov 28, 2013
That sounds good... I pray its not just words of mouth.

1 Like

Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by Rednaxelot: 7:25pm On Nov 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Nigeria go better. All that is needed is for people from the axis of EVIL -APC e-warriors, Tinubu, Buhari and Boko Haram- to give this president some breathing space.
must you always mention APC, Tinubu and Buhari?

Mr Man, get a life!

31 Likes

Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by JulianBond007: 7:43pm On Nov 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Nigeria go better. All that is needed is for people from the axis of EVIL -APC e-warriors, Tinubu, Buhari and Boko Haram- to give this president some breathing space.
smh. This insincere nigerian can't do without mentioning APC in virtually all his posts. Are you for real?

23 Likes

Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by Nobody: 7:49pm On Nov 28, 2013
Rednaxelot: must you always mention APC, Tinubu and Buhari?

Mr Man, get a life!

It's becoming an evil obsession with the guy...

7 Likes

Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by Nobody: 8:31pm On Nov 28, 2013
^^ Just like GEJ is an obsession to all of you, so also the leaders of the opposition are an obsession to some others. And by the way, why are you having headache because someone mentioned Tinubu? Since that is giving you headache, you may have to buy bags of paracetamol because there is no relenting.

33 Likes

Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by Nobody: 8:37pm On Nov 28, 2013
Tell ur principals they are dumb as hell. Not just for hiring you, but this is not how to go about collating vital statistics in the country by selling the country's citizen's biometrics information to foreign banks who will in turn sell it to foreign Govt's to commit all kinds of acts with!!!! Are u guys ok? Do you even have an idea what the hell ure doing?

8 Likes

Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by Nobody: 8:41pm On Nov 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: ^^ Just like the GEJ is an obsession to all of you, so also the leaders of the opposition is an obsession to some others. And by the way, why are you having headache because someone mentioned Tinubu? Since that is giving you headache, you may have to buy bags of paracetamol because there is no relenting.

You are becoming the weakest link among NL GEJ...E-rats.

11 Likes

Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by Nobody: 8:50pm On Nov 28, 2013
kingoflag: Tell ur principals they are dumb as hell. Not just for hiring you, but this is not how to go about collating vital statistics in the country by selling the country's citizen's biometrics information to foreign banks who will in turn sell it to foreign Govt's to commit all kinds of acts with!!!! Are u guys ok? Do you even have an idea what the hell ure doing?
The greatest mistake ever made by Tinubu was hiring a nincompoop like you to promote him and APC online.

18 Likes

Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by Nobody: 8:59pm On Nov 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
The greatest mistake ever made by Tinubu was hiring a nincompoop like you to promote him and APC online.
lmaooo point to one post where I ever praised Tinubu. Do that and I promise to double---up to $25--- whatever pittance it is u get for selling ur soul online every month.

16 Likes

Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by Nobody: 9:01pm On Nov 28, 2013
ilugunboy:

You are becoming the weakest link among NL GEJ...E-rats.
Very poor attempt at imitating TEAM FRESH AIR. Why not use the investment of Tinubu in ya life to improve yaself, rather than always acting as an aper on NL?

10 Likes

Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by takedat(m): 9:07pm On Nov 28, 2013
This is a country where N75billion was allocated for data capturing machines for voters registration, even after spending such an humongous amount and biometric data collection we still find ourselves in situations where names suddenly disappear from the voters register simply because some government officials are in the habit of tampering with it. How are we sure our thieving government officials won't manipulate our data/information to commit fraud? When bankers who are expected to abide by strict ethics connive with fraudsters to commit ATM fraud, why should I then trust our dishonest and ever-swelling cult of thieves in government?

16 Likes

Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by Nobody: 9:10pm On Nov 28, 2013
kingoflag: lmaooo point to one post where I ever praised Tinubu. Do that and I promise to double---up to $25--- whatever pittance it is u get for selling ur soul online every month.
What an irony? Does a soul-less animal have the competence to discuss issues that have to do with the soul? Can you give what you dont have? I feel so sorry for soul-less creatures like you.

2 Likes

Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by IGBOSON1: 9:13pm On Nov 28, 2013
Rednaxelot: what if it get lost?
Na wahala be that o!

^^^They said '.....the same way you use your ATM card', so i'm assuming that at worst you'd just have the same security issues as any you may presently have with your current cards.

This is even safer in the sense that, as well as a PIN number, your picture and bio-data will also be on the card.....and if the ATM facility on the ID card works with the soon to be introduced fingerprint technology the CBN is planning, then it would be of no use to any thief or opportunist!

Problem solved! smiley

3 Likes

Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by Nobody: 9:24pm On Nov 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Very poor attempt at imitating TEAM FRESH AIR. Why not use the investment of Tinubu in ya life to improve yaself, rather than always acting as an aper on NL?

While you do this for pecuniary consideration....some of us are here to put a stop to your foolishness....we are not failure in our professional calling like you.

5 Likes

Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by Peinstein: 9:32pm On Nov 28, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^They said '.....the same way you use your ATM card', so i'm assuming that at worst you'd just have the same security issues as any you may presently have with your current cards.

This is even safer in the sense that, as well as a PIN number, your picture and bio-data will also be on the card.....and if the ATM facility on the ID card works with the soon to be introduced fingerprint technology the CBN is planning, then it would be of no use to any thief or opportunist!

Problem solved! smiley

Hopefully, I pray it works, we need to encourage ideas like this, some agencies have good intentions. Glad you commented on the topic

I think some people need to be banned on this forum, a topic on national ID card has quickly become something about APC and GEJ. What is our problem, can't we just sustain developmental discussions.

8 Likes

Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by Nobody: 9:45pm On Nov 28, 2013
Peinstein:

Hopefully, I pray it works, we need to encourage ideas like this, some agencies have good intentions. Glad you commented on the topic

I think some people need to be banned on this forum, a topic on national ID card has quickly become something about APC and GEJ. What is our problem, can't we just sustain developmental discussions.
Guy, dont be too angry with what you see here. This is POLITICS section. Missles will continue to fly in all directions.

4 Likes

Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by Coldblooded(m): 9:50pm On Nov 28, 2013
I thought the Politics section is for mature minds. It beats me why an innocuous thread like this generates controversy. For your infomation, no Party is better than the other in this country. They are all made up of by the same clueless people who are immune to shame thereby jumping from one party to another for their own selfish purposes.

@ d topic, if this is well planned and executed, it would be a milestone in our country's development.

8 Likes

Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by Longeria(m): 10:26pm On Nov 28, 2013
Rednaxelot: must you always mention APC, Tinubu and Buhari?

Mr Man, get a life!
They are Nigeria's biggest problem.

10 Likes

Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by Ozonna(m): 10:31pm On Nov 28, 2013
My brothers, this na real end time things (ett) cheesy.

If you don't understand, read Revelations .......

1 Like

Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by Rednaxelot: 10:37pm On Nov 28, 2013
Longeria: They are Nigeria's biggest problem.
what an excuse for failure!
Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by talktimi(m): 10:48pm On Nov 28, 2013
Im not comfortable with the atm aspect, why not just stick with the travel card ? My regular bank cards are ok for me
Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by pendusky(m): 11:23pm On Nov 28, 2013
so what will happen to my 2 master cards from my banks?? and to which bank will we deposit money to debit our card whenever we want..
Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by laivwire(m): 11:25pm On Nov 28, 2013
Good development especially with the travel attributes. Just hope it won't be hacked into for fraudulent acts.
take dat: This is a country where N75billion was allocated for data capturing machines for voters registration, even after spending such an humongous amount and biometric data collection we still find ourselves in situations where names suddenly disappear from the voters register simply because some government officials are in the habit of tampering with it. How are we sure our thieving government officials won't manipulate our data/information to commit fraud? When bankers who are expected to abide by strict ethics connive with fraudsters to commit ATM fraud, why should I then trust our dishonest and ever-swelling cult of thieves in government?
Seconded
Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by Lilaex: 11:27pm On Nov 28, 2013
Am tempted to say end time tins but I won't say it..

1 Like

Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by Vivipedia: 11:31pm On Nov 28, 2013
Is that not one of those big unrealizable dreams of Nigeria. Visit: www.vivipedia.com
Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by Nobody: 11:31pm On Nov 28, 2013
Monsieur L.M Ayedun almost all the news on FP is now from you, keep up the good work. cheesy

Its cool anyway, from the report its clearly a choice. People should learn to read contents and not topic alone. Smh
Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by agrovick(m): 11:33pm On Nov 28, 2013
Nice one

1 Like

Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by GoodBoi1(m): 11:34pm On Nov 28, 2013
Sounds like ETT. What next? IMPLANT CHIPS?

1 Like

Re: National Identity Card To Become ATM, Travel Card by cumpaddre(m): 11:35pm On Nov 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Lemmie ask you a question bro, what if u wake up one day and you hear the news on the radio that GEJ has joined APC. What will you do?

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bandits Gun Down Over 60 Vigilantes In Kebbi / NDLEA Arrests 8 Over Lagos, Abuja, Enugu Airports Cocaine Busts / "Biafra Agitation Is Dead In The South-East" - Nicholas Ibekwe.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.