Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:04 AM

BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" (25410 Views)

Well Built & Tastefully House For Sale @ Ifo, Ogun State For #15m. / Well Built 20rooms Self Contain Hostel Located In Ekosodin Uniben For Sale #19M / Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Nobody: 1:47pm On Dec 08, 2013
I was aggrieved when I read this topic www.nairaland.com/1529492/ever-seen-well-built-african-house
I copied BBC and I told them if they did not forward my complain to the appropriate person, they will rot in hell. I also sent a copy of that to CNN but I haven't heard from them.
Here is the reply from BBC via bbc_complaints_website@bbc.co.uk

Dear Mr. Ogunsola

Reference CAS-2428933-TJJY8Y

Thanks for contacting the BBC.

We understand you feel there has been a lack of coverage of Africa in our output, we note you feel the BBC should feature more aspects of Africa in broadcasts to inform and educate audience members.

In our output we strive to provide a range of subjects and issues, we are always working to inform audience members of issues from all locations. The BBC has broadcast programmes and reports on Africa and its wildlife recently but we certainly will take on board your suggestion.

We are grateful that you've taken the time to put your suggestion forward and be assured that your comments will be registered on our audience log.

This is an internal report of audience feedback which we compile daily for all programme makers and commissioning executives within the BBC, and also their senior management. It ensures that your points, and all other comments we receive, are made available across the BBC.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

Kind Regards

Tanya McKee

BBC Complaints

4 Likes

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Nobody: 1:50pm On Dec 08, 2013
Lemme reserve a space in case it makes the FP. grin

FP tinz!!! Oh Glory glory glory to the Lord!!!

First I will like to thank my gf 'Morenike Adediran' for being their for me all this while that I've complained of no making the front page, I love u and now that I'm on the front page I'll like to dedicate it to you.

Secondly to my Daddy in the Lord Pastor E.A Adeboye for his prayers.

Thirdly to my fellow nairalanders.

Now to the post.

Be sure that I told them what you dnt even
expect I will tell, in as much as my friends ask
me to stop saying and hating on whites, I'll
keep saying I'm a racist and hate everything
white, I'm studying history and I knw the
damages these pple have/and are still doing to
us read "How Europe Underdeveloped Africa"
by Walter Roodney, that explains my hate for
European League. I've never watched it! These
pple hate us and here we are celebrating
them. "We bought Rooney at the rate of £20,000"
do they know u exist!? Mctcheew

13 Likes

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Enegod(m): 1:55pm On Dec 08, 2013
will comment after reading...
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by sainty2k3(m): 1:56pm On Dec 08, 2013
thisisayus: Lemme reserve a space in case it makes the FP. grin
Abeg gimme the space jare, u want to be the op and ftc .lol anyway I pray i make the ..........oh! Here am I!!! *dancing* at least am close, I'll try harder next time
@topic ; all na story, but I like the fact that they responded.

1 Like

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by braine(m): 2:00pm On Dec 08, 2013
Its good they don't feel too big to respond•
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by padeolu: 2:23pm On Dec 08, 2013
Does their response do justice to the accusation levied against them? NO! Its good they responded though.

7 Likes

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Nobody: 2:24pm On Dec 08, 2013
where did they talk about the "well built house in Africa " thing? Though I don't know what op told them in the email.
From their reply, they are not talking about seeing well built house in Africa.

1 Like

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Nobody: 2:47pm On Dec 08, 2013
What I sent to them include;

In fact if I were to base my entire knowledge of
Africa on what I see on those channels, I
wouldn't believe there was a single storey
building standing in the entire African
continent.
No wonder when I travel abroad many people
ask me questions like: ''Do you have cars in
Nigeria?'' ''Do you live in proper houses there?''
''Wow! You mean you have computers there?
Phones too?? Internet! I had no idea!''
Or if they don't ask, they generally give you
this condescending look that says ''we know
you must be glad to escape your mud hut and
lions to come out here... and we know you're
not thinking of going back.''.
Quite sad really. This distorted image of the
continent accounts for much of the racism and
prejudice faced by Africans across the globe.

Other things I've never seen on western
channels in relation to Africa:
- Tarred roads/expressways with cars on them
- Banks
- Universities/higher institutions
- High rises/skyscrapers
- Large numbers of well dressed, well-to-do
people
- Traditional festivals
- Airports
- Nightclubs, restaurants, bars
etc etc

Rudebwoy: where did they talk about the "well built house in Africa " thing? Though I don't know what op told them in the email.
From their reply, they are not talking about seeing well built house in Africa.

10 Likes

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Nobody: 2:53pm On Dec 08, 2013
thisisayus: What I sent to them include;

continent.

- Banks
- High rises/skyscrapers
people
- Traditional festivals
- Airports
etc etc

Maybe they didn't understand the mail. It's like they thought you are saying they don't give Africa proper coverage.
If you can, reply them, be more specific. Ask them why they don't show the developed side of Africa.

17 Likes

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Mynd44: 2:57pm On Dec 08, 2013
Lol grin
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by otijah(m): 3:40pm On Dec 08, 2013
@op u just want to show to us they really responded to ur complain, but what positive change has their reply brought? They are still saying the same thing
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Nobody: 3:41pm On Dec 08, 2013
op u get time

2 Likes

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Guidette(f): 3:41pm On Dec 08, 2013
'Africa.... The Dark Continent' is how they always start their stupid shows when featuring the African continent. It is so sad that Americans are so dumb when it comes to Africa and it is because these stations misrepresent us all the time. They think we are one country and that irks me everytime I hear the word Africa from their mouth. Imagine.... I asked an American chick who visited 'Africa' which country she visited, and she didnt know. When I told her I knew all the 50 states of America, she was shocked and had to agree she was ignorant herself.

Besides, who even watches BBC and CNN anyways. Those propaganda filled stations... I honestly would rather watch a whole hour of NTA than to sit through an hour of CNN.

20 Likes

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Iaz93: 3:43pm On Dec 08, 2013
BBC go just carry you play.

1 Like

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Kairoseki77: 3:45pm On Dec 08, 2013
In our output we strive to provide a range of subjects and issues, we are always working to inform audience members of issues from all locations. The BBC has broadcast programmes and reports on Africa and its wildlife recently but we certainly will take on board your suggestion.

Gee, thanks! Maybe in between your broadcasts of the Serengeti you can show a human being that isn't starving, or in a war! grin

Anyone remember Welcome to Lagos? Where the BBC went to rubbish dumps to interview people, and then broadcast it all over the world as representative of Nigeria?

Not a single office worker was interviewed. Not a single office building was shown. Not a single university was shown (or any students). Not a single HOUSE was shown (just illegal shacks). Not a single restaurant. Store. Supermarket. Paved road. Etc. The series was over five hours long and they spent 50% of it at a rubbish dump. After it aired, the British High Commissioner to Nigeria had to issue a formal apology. grin

I am really struggling hard to imagine the BBC broadcasting a Welcome to London, where they film the entire series in piles of rubbish, and in council houses, without showing anything else. Can you imagine it? Yeah, didn't think so. cheesy

Why do they do this? Because it is fundamental to white people's self esteem to imagine black people to be at the bottom.

For their fantasy of genetic/cultural superiority to work, there must be a group to be superior to. For centuries, they have been trained to believe that Africans (and African descended people) are the proof that they are superior. Anything that contradicts this image is ignored, discredited, or laughed at.

It doesn't make them bad people, it is just the way they are. They can't help it.

Just ignore them. Focus on growing African media (Nollywood, News, Comedy, Music, Fashion, etc) so that we can tell (and sell) our own stories to the world. When young Europeans start spending N100,000 on African hair extensions, you will know that we have won. grin

If you are waiting for white people to stop being ignorant racists, you will be waiting for an eternity. But in the spirit of Nelson Mandela, let's forgive them and move on.

PS - Look at BellaNaija and Welcome to Lagos side by side.

64 Likes

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by alienware(m): 3:45pm On Dec 08, 2013
Why are you guys so disturbed about BBC coverage on Africa ? The truth is we blacks can't uphold civilization.

1 Like

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Kairoseki77: 3:47pm On Dec 08, 2013
alienware: Why are guys so disturbed about BBC coverage on Africa ? The truth is we blacks can't uphold civilization.

You see what centuries of white propaganda has done to this poor soul?

No knowledge of his own history. No self esteem.

Probably hates the color of his skin, the texture of his hair, etc.

86 Likes

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by rill: 3:48pm On Dec 08, 2013
This response na wash
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by homesteady(m): 3:48pm On Dec 08, 2013
So will they show the whole world chief yuzedo beautiful mansion? cheesy

5 Likes

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by dheaven: 3:50pm On Dec 08, 2013
you tried in informing this racist guys

2 Likes

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Nobody: 3:50pm On Dec 08, 2013
guys guys guys.. what exactly do our homegrown channels report that shows you the good sides of Africa.. please name one, if not for NTA who is always showing you good sides even when it is all bad, gory and gross.. which other media shows you anything good about africa.. and you complain to BBC.. tough

1 Like

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Nobody: 3:50pm On Dec 08, 2013
TVC NEWS is getting more international recognition if I'm right, you need to see the quality of news + graphics. I think in the next 5yrs, TVC NEWS will be rubbing shoulder with BBC. Channels sucks with their studio that looks like my grandpa's room grin

*NOTE: TVC NEWS is different from TVC

4 Likes

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by alienware(m): 3:51pm On Dec 08, 2013
Kairoseki77:

You see what centuries of white propaganda has done to this poor soul?

you need to get urself informed before coming here to call me a poor soul , abt 150 years ago those guys had already built steam fired trains and many machines, what have you been able to do with ur own RICH SOUL up till this moment ?

4 Likes

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Edoboy1(m): 3:51pm On Dec 08, 2013
I have noticed this trend too. Its really annoying when you some of their portrays of Africa. At times, I will be so ashamed I will just put off the tv. A friend of mine went abroad and he said the first question a man asked him there was how comfortable is it to sleep on trees? Can you imagine.

2 Likes

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by swhiss: 3:52pm On Dec 08, 2013
alienware: Why are you guys so disturbed about BBC coverage on Africa ? The truth is we blacks can't uphold civilization.

please try to connect your fingers to ur brain
before u type a comment.

9 Likes

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by nerodenero: 3:52pm On Dec 08, 2013
I quit watching the channel because of how they report our own story.In fact,Nigeria is the worst hit.They seem not to like Nigeria at all.They see nothing good about Africa.Thats why CNN is slightly higher than them.The OP try wey im complain o,me no get their time at all oo.

1 Like

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Afrok(m): 3:52pm On Dec 08, 2013
Chai... See as dem (BBC) dodge op's complain, good job though to d op.
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Afrok(m): 3:53pm On Dec 08, 2013
Chai... See as dem (BBC) dodge op's complain shocked, good job though @ d op.
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by alienware(m): 3:53pm On Dec 08, 2013
swhiss:

please try to connect your fingers to ur brain before u type a comment.
mumu ! They say if u don't like your situation, u change it , u are not trees

2 Likes

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by 5megabyte: 3:55pm On Dec 08, 2013
thisisayus: What I sent to them include;

continent.

- Banks
- High rises/skyscrapers
people
- Traditional festivals
- Airports
etc etc

Be honest to yourself what is the ratio of developed cities to undeveloped settlements in africa? So are u saying you have never seen lagos or abuja on BBC? Aren't those 2 at least presentable? The fact that one ignorant white person in the UK asked if u have storey buildings in africa, does that mean itss because of unbalanced reporting by BBC? And finally come to think of it, what is the main news about in africa? Isn't it always about one mobutu, babangida, gadaffi, etc stealing all the people's money and plunging them into senseless civil war? So should an arab for instance be angry if the BBC shows syria war, egypt in turmoil, lybian civil war, pakistani unrest, etc, isn't their region mostly about war? My guy, we need to sit up big time and stop blaming ANYBODY we find

4 Likes

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Kairoseki77: 3:55pm On Dec 08, 2013
homesteady: So will they show the whole world chief yuzedo beautiful mansion? cheesy

Chief Sweetus could live in anyone of these Lagos Manshuns, with his ice cream lap babes. tongue

[img]http://josephemeka.files./2012/11/havens-2.jpg[/img]

That last house is owned by Belo Osagie, the Chairman of the Nigerian arm of Etisalat. It must be in the middle of the rubbish dump where they filmed Welcome to Lagos. tongue

There are many sides to Lagos, you would have to leave the landfill to see them though. I guess it would kill them at BBC to put a house like this on their network. And it's a shame, because the film crews don't sleep in the landfills at night during filming, they go back to nice hotels in nice areas. They HAD to have seen the rest of Lagos. They just chose not to air it.

11 Likes

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by alienware(m): 3:57pm On Dec 08, 2013
swhiss:

smh
They say there's no such thing as a develop nation that is 90 % blacks demographic . All the developed nations i know are 90% whites or mixed with eastern asia.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing / Awka, Eagles Hill And Ngozika Extension-photos / Lekki Gardens Managing Director Charged With Manslaughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.